How do UK police deal with fugitives who have escaped abroad?

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
An entirely invented division of the MET police are chasing a murder suspect (who also happens to be an illegal cyborg - their division is in charge of finding it and shutting it down a la Blade Runner)

Problem is, she's managed to hoodwink Border Control and is now running amok in France. I know I can mess around with the powers afforded to this division, but as a general rule, would the MET police have the power to chase and apprehend the (cyborg) criminal in another country? Is there a particular division of the police force whose job this is, or are they expected to liase with the French police? (the detective in charge isn't likely to want to do this because a) there's no time and b) he's a knob) Are there limitations to what they can and cannot do? I've read a bit about international warrants and so forth, but it's difficult to find concrete information outside of Daily Mail articles...

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
An entirely invented division of the MET police are chasing a murder suspect (who also happens to be an illegal cyborg - their division is in charge of finding it and shutting it down a la Blade Runner)

Problem is, she's managed to hoodwink Border Control and is now running amok in France. I know I can mess around with the powers afforded to this division, but as a general rule, would the MET police have the power to chase and apprehend the (cyborg) criminal in another country? Is there a particular division of the police force whose job this is, or are they expected to liase with the French police? (the detective in charge isn't likely to want to do this because a) there's no time and b) he's a knob) Are there limitations to what they can and cannot do? I've read a bit about international warrants and so forth, but it's difficult to find concrete information outside of Daily Mail articles...

I don't know France in particular, so take with a grain of salt, but I'd go with no, I wouldn't think they'd have any power to be running around France and apprehending anyone.

I'd presume they'd call Interpol for help.

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
Interpol. They'd go straight to Interpol, because (AFAIK) that's what Interpol is for.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
They'd use the European Arrest Warrant. This was used recently when a teacher ran off to France with one of his pupils. And in the Assange case.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, they would coordinate through Interpol. That said, there have been cases where UK police have travelled to other countries and conducted their own surveillance, calling in the locals to effect the arrest.