So, in your opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuligora

Bring it on...
Registered
Reaction score
What do you feel are the most important aspacts of writing a novel? Some people concentrate on plot, others on dialouge, character developement, suspense, sub-plots. All are very important parts of novel writting, but what do you feel is most important, why, and when you read a novel, what keeps you from putting it down because on more word of this crap and thou shalt explode? Do you feel that it varies from genre to genre? I'm bored and interested in the topic, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

I think Character developement is the most important thing. If you are too obssesed with the plot to make you're characters three dimensional I will be unable to handle the novel. Plain and simple. Some novels tend to be obssesed with setting.

"The sky was blue and the sea was blue and I love birds because they sing and in the land of Fartherare there are lots of birds, some with purple feathers others with green......"

Three words....someone shoot me.

Numero dos, an original plot. If I read the back of a book and it sounds like the backs of the last fity back books I have read which sounds like the backs of fifteen books I already read, I will rarely pick it up. It's a real shame too, because I probably put down books that have original twists to a Cliche idea, but unable to tell the difference an unwilling to spend several hours of my life figuring out if it's worth it or not isn't something I am willing to do.

Numero tres, awesome evil character!

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
The most important aspect of of writing a novel? For me, myself and I?

Love.

If I don't love the idea, love the characters, love the villain, love the setting, love the plot twists, love the STORY, then I should have no reasonable expectation of the reader loving it.

I love the novel I am shopping around. If I didn't, I wouldn't bother.

I love my WIP. It stands out among the dozens of other ideas I could have latched upon as my next project. When this WIP is finished and polished to a clear gloss, I'll find another love to tend.

Fickle? Perhaps. But it works for me.

Basilides

Registered
Reaction score
The most important element in any novel I have read is that which tugs three critical things out of me:

1. Joy. I do not mean "happiness", but joy. This is the thing one feels when doing something one, well, enjoys. It may even be a sad kind of joy, like the aching enjoyment one gets out of a good, sympathetic cry. It may be suspense, or even a chilling fear. Or it may be the memory of a joyful time. If you happen to be walking down a street and you suddenly smell a perfume that reminds you of something wonderful in your childhood, joy is hitting you in the olfactory nerve. A good novel will have the knack of drawing these kinds of feelings out.

2. Moral Motions. Even those of us who do not believe morality can objectively exist can't help being fascinated by moral dilemmas and good/evil conflict. If an author has a good grasp of moral theory and applies it authentically in the motives of the characters of the novel, it is a good bet that author will have me hooked. Note that I do not mean any particular morals, necessarily, but the fact of morality in general.

3. Vision. The novel must have the ability to help me see as the author sees. If I am not transported into the world of the novel, then either the author does not have the knack of communicating his/her vision to me properly or the author is not visualizing that world to begin with.

The element of writing that draws these things from me as a reader is the most vital, in my view.

TMA-1

Registered
Reaction score
New ideas and concepts are important, at least so in SF.

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to give one of those smarmy "it depends" replies, but from my experience, it does. My first novel (the one I call the learning curve novel) was written with a strict outline, a very complex plot, with many subplots and interweaving storylines. Some books are like that - plot driven - like the Da Vinci Code (I haven't read it - couldn't get past the first chapter from an online excerpt - but I've heard it's plot driven).

Well, that worked out all right for Mr Brown.

Is it a good novel? Who knows. The writing is bad, but you keep turning the pages. What makes a good novel?

With my WIP I'm taking a different route for freshness' sake. I'm writing it as I go along. It's a lot more character driven because of this. Does that make it better? No, it makes it different. Character driven novels aren't always the page turners that plot driven novels are, but they give you a different experience.

Then again, you could always give it an equal balance. From what I've heard, Ms Rowling plots out every scene before she starts writing. But to say her novels aren't character driven is a bit of a long shot.

SeanDSchaffer

I think you have to love both what you're doing, and the story you're writing. If you don't, the reader will know.

If you love both the story and the crafting of it, you'll take better care of it than you will if you don't.

Captain_Campion

Registered
Reaction score
It all goes hand in hand, I believe, but is also influenced by the type of story you're telling.

Character development is critical, but character development does not mean page after page describing a character's background, favorite hobby, or religious views. Character development should come as natural part of the story and plot. How a character reacts to what happens and how that reaction shapes the flow of the story is the way to develop characters, not pages of biography.

If the reader starts caring about the fate of the character, then they'll start caring about what happens in the overall plot.

All that being said, there are so many different ways to tell a story that there's no formula that can be followed like a playbook. Personally, I'm a big believer in good dialogue. If the characters don't sound real and if they don't stand apart from one another in personality and how the react, then the story just isn't going to hold my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.