Brainstorming

Status
Not open for further replies.

edfrzr

Registered
Reaction score
Okay guys, looking for some ideas or proven methods. Here is what I have.

I have formed a relationship with a company that markets an Identity Theft protection product (basically, it is an insurance product). Since my novel's premise is "Identity Theft", seems like a good fit. They (the company) are willing to distribute free, to anyone who purchases my novel, a DVD and book (much smaller) on steps that can be taken on how to protect yourself from just such an occurance. This "free" gift is valued at around $50 (their figures, not mine).

Here is my dilemna. How do I track or direct my buyers to this particular company. Since I am self-publishing, I'm certain that Amazon, BnN, etc will not want to bear this burden. I have already researched the email list thing and that can get VERY expensive. Plus, you have no control. Does anyone have an idea that can be imprinted into the book, removed, and then forwarded? Taking ALL suggestions.

I really think this could be an exceptional promotional tool, if done correctly.

Thanks in advance for all the input.

Tex

One thought

One idea is to create a website where you can sell the book directly. You can give book buyers an incentive to purchase the book directly through your web site by saying that anyone who orders there gets this free gift. Since you are self-publishing, the profit you make from such direct sales should be significantly higher. Although the sales will be undocumented (as they didn't go through a recognized site like Amazon), they will provide you with a higher per-book profit. It will also be an incentive for people to visit your website and read a bio, look at your event schedule and peruse other items that you want your readers to see.

One downside to this idea is that you will have to be promoting the book/giveaway effectively in order to drive traffic to your web site. However you're not likely to sell many books through more established channels like Amazon.com or Borders.com unless you are also promoting it. To allow people who purchase the book elsewhere to take part, perhaps you could add a page in the back of the book that directs people to your website to get credit for the giveaway. That would give you complete control over the promotion and also drive traffic to your site where you can make more money per sale.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Tex gives good advice. I'd also suggest talking with the identity-theft company to see if they'd be up for cross-promoting a bit with you: could you piggyback on some of their direct mailings or marketing plans and include your web site and book information with their information, just like they are doing with yours? I know it seems like they are doing you a favor by giving away a dvd and information that they value at $50, but in fact you are providing them with free marketing and I'm not quite sure what you're getting out of it. So find out what they can do for you, too. The more traffic you can generate to your site, the better the marketing partnership for both of you. Good luck! I'll be interested to hear how this pans out; I think the idea of cross-promotion is a really good one, especially for self- and small publishers. Keep us posted.

edfrzr

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks guys -- for the advice so far. I'll definitely take into consideration all that you have suggested.

As for the cross-promotion, it has been discussed. Once published, should the VP like the book, it will be mentioned, marketed, etc., at no cost to me, at seminars, rallys and so forth.

I just didn't want to place all my faith there. I wanted to become pro-active, giving me a modicum of control.

I thought about the page at the end. Would love to hear your thoughts on structuring.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.