Not open for further replies.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
A friend of mine had a ms rejected by a relatively small but prestigious press, which mostly publishes quality literary fiction.

It was a personal rejection and complimentary about the writing, but included the phrase "perhaps a little middle-market, so not quite right for us."

I've never seen the phrase "middle market" in reference to a book. It's an investment and business term, of course, but I'm not quite sure what it means in this context.

Anyone ever heard or seen seen this in regards to a ms??

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would take that to mean, not literary, but not trashy.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I would translate it to "mainstream."

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
It was a personal rejection and complimentary about the writing, but included the phrase "perhaps a little middle-market, so not quite right for us."

Why don't you ask them what it means, now that you're reasonably sure that there are other writers out here who are equally puzzled?

For all you know, it may have been read by some intern in their office, who screwed up the terminology, and really meant, 'mainstream'. But if there's a new jargon term going around, it behooves all of us to know about it.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Why don't you ask them what it means, now that you're reasonably sure that there are other writers out here who are equally puzzled?

For all you know, it may have been read by some intern in their office, who screwed up the terminology, and really meant, 'mainstream'. But if there's a new jargon term going around, it behooves all of us to know about it.
No, it was a full, read by the editor-in-chief. I can't ask because I have nothing to do with the submission. The party involved doesn't want to ask, because it's not necessarily a good idea to ask an editor who has rejected a ms "What exactly do you mean by that? Explain yourself."

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Perhaps they mean it won't have a broad enough appeal to the reading public. Some publishers are niche publishers and know their list appeals to a specific corner of the market. Could they mean that?

Finis

Registered
Reaction score
Throwing my hat in for, "not right for our small, prestigious, literary imprint, why don't you try something more mainstream?"

Which in my mind, is a compliment, and was probably intended as a compliment if it came with a hand written note from the EiC of the imprint.

But it does seem amusing to think of it in the context of Hipster Editor, "It's so middle market -- What, you've never hear of middle marke?, It's probably too underground for you."

Status
Not open for further replies.