Not sure if this is the right sub board,

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
When shopping around for a beta reader, is it generally considered bad form to show them something you have written a while ago, and already have some distance on from the work in question. Or show them the first three chapters?

I always had weird issues about chapter by chapter critiques, though a full critique after I've had some distance on the full project I of course would not mind as much.

At some point I want to treat writing a story like whittling cedar, you have to carve out a small piece, and every little bit is a step closer to its final shape. But carve a little bit at a time.

I think a lot of my problem is I'm used to writing about a stanza a day, as suppose to a word count a day, which is a slightly impractical word rate a day to write a novel.D:

Edit: Thanks Stacia.^^

Last edited:

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Generally it's good to show them at least the first chapter so that they know what they are getting into.

Showing them an older work doesn't seem very helpful.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Generally it's good to show them at least the first chapter so that they know what they are getting into.

Showing them an older work doesn't seem very helpful.

*Runs in, waving arms*

In the SYW section! Not here!

And I have to agree on not showing old work. You want to rewrite it because your current writing should be much better than your old. Then you revise and edit to hell and back.

You should posts you first chapter (roughly 2500words please) in the SYW section to get critiqued (after rewritten please). You'll get a lot of general help that you can carry over throughout the work.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Don't rush yourself. Take the time to write, take the time to edit. Editing is one of the greatest tools a writer has, so use it well and thoroughly.

Oh, and also, read up on the rules and guidelines in the Main board of the SYW section before posting, if you haven't already done so.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Ok I'll try to get at least something written even if its small, and then post it either the day after next or that day after that. Not my method might be slower, but its a bit experimental.D: I hope that helps. I tried highlighting it in spellcheck, but sometimes a word does not show up.o_O

It's best not to post first drafts in SYW. Post your best work; you'll get a lot more out of it that way. :)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Ok I'll try to get at least something written even if its small, and then post it either the day after next or that day after that. Not my method might be slower, but its a bit experimental.D: I hope that helps. I tried highlighting it in spellcheck, but sometimes a word does not show up.o_O

Betas aren't the people who go through the work as you write it. They go through the work when you're finished and the work is polished. They generally only go through once, unless you've agreed otherwise.

If you want someone to go through stuff as you write it, and read multiple versions, you're talking about a critique partner. You'd show them whatever it is you wanted feedback on right now. That might include something unfinished because you want feedback on the basic concept, etc. This is much more of a time and energy investment for people, so you need to be clear that's what you're after.

But either way, they need to see the work you actually want feedback on. It wastes people's time to critique something you're not planning to edit.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you'd achieve by showing your beta something that isn't the work you'd like them to read, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.