Past e-publishing - how to deal with in print submission?

Sister Ray

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forthelost.org
Several years ago, I decided it was time for me to write a book *and* try to get it published. After finishing said book, I thought for about five seconds to sending it to print publishers. I concluded that no publisher wanted my terrible writing and sent out the book to an e-publisher, figuring the rejection would be easier to deal with. They accepted it. I was surprised but didn't think anything would come of it. They later mentioned the Eppie Awards were looking for books to compete. I sent my little book in and forgot all about it until the publishers wrote me to congratulate me on my being a finalist.

I would have thought it was an April Fool's joke, but it was December. So I went and checked. And yep, it really was a finalist. My book is under the Adventure category, Dark. It didn't win but the status it got still makes me wonder.

The publisher later went out of business. I got my right to publish back and didn't think about actually doing so for a long time. When I did, I went back and edited Dark some more, and now that part is done. I know that this past publication should be mentioned in query letters, but it's such a specific issue I haven't seen it come up in the dozens I've looked at. For any agents here or anyone who's had experience with query letters, what's the best way to put that? I'm not sure just saying "someone bought it once and it got nominated for an award that may not mean much" (in much more formal language, of course) is the best way to go about it, but I'm even less certain that bragging about it is the way to go.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
"DARK was previously published in e-book format in 2003 by This Publisher, when it was shortlisted for an Eppie award. All rights have now reverted to me."

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As usual, OH makes it seem so easy!

Maryn, who makes everything hard

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Merri, you spoil all my fun.

I was practising my deep blokey voice and everything. Ha!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There's no need to apologise, Sister Ray. You're not the first to assume I'm a man here, and you won't be the last. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, your voice is deeper and more authoritative, come to think of it...

Maryn, 'author-itative,' get it? Get it?