Illegal immigrant question.

Yukinara

The Exile
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, let's say we have an illegal immigrant who cross the border to go to the US. And let's say he know someone in the country, my the question is: can he survive without any kind of paperwork? I have been thinking a lot about this. Because a person need some sort of paperwork under his name in order to survive here, right? Like, he goes to a bank, or buying a car, or getting driver license. So, can a person completely hide from the government and live a normal life in the US?

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, let's say we have an illegal immigrant who cross the border to go to the US. And let's say he know anyone in the country, my the question is: can he survive without any kind of paperwork? I have been thinking a lot about this. Because a person need some sort of paperwork under his name in order to survive here, right? Like, he goes to a bank, or buying a car, or getting driver license. So, can a person completely hide from the government and live a normal life in the US?

As I think I understand your question, yes, sure.

People do this all the time. Plenty of people don't have bank accounts - that's more a result of socioeconomic status than anything else.

Plenty of people also don't own cars, though you can go online and buy a car from someone you meet in a parking lot, for cash.

There are a few states that offer driver's licenses to non-citizens, and also a lot of people on the road who don't hold U.S. licences. There are plenty of citizens on the road driving unlicensed too. Again, plenty of people don't have or drive cars regardless, so it wouldn't be an issue.

However, you can buy paperwork.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, let's say we have an illegal immigrant who cross the border to go to the US. And let's say he know anyone in the country, my the question is: can he survive without any kind of paperwork? I have been thinking a lot about this. Because a person need some sort of paperwork under his name in order to survive here, right? Like, he goes to a bank, or buying a car, or getting driver license. So, can a person completely hide from the government and live a normal life in the US?

An estimated 11 million people in the US do hide from the government and live a relatively normal life. source

In Washington state, you do not have to have a birth certificate or a SSN to get a driver's license. source

Here is a great article about life as an illegal. source

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
It's not terribly difficult to buy a fake SS # and green card, at least based on my experience hiring people in one of my previous jobs, lol. You'd be amazed how many folks had papers that looked legit, but popped in our system as a duplicate SSN (only because we already had someone working under that SSN. If we hadn't, it wouldn't have flagged and we would have thought it was good). All it takes is some cash and knowing the guy to go to. And in a large immigrant/illegal community, someone probably knows and will share. There's a big support structure.

So your MC may not know anyone initially, but depending on where they ended up there'd still be folks from their originating country that would be willing to help them navigate.

Another person in my life, who shall remain nameless, came to the country with their parents on a travel visa. They stayed for almost 20 years before legalizing, paid taxes, owned property, held good jobs, had 401ks, etc. The person attended school, got work, drove a car--the whole nine yards. And believe me, there's no travel visa that's good for 20 years. Their parents never did go through the naturalization process, but my friend finally did when they hit adulthood. There was surprisingly little issue with it, given that they'd been in the country illegally for 16 years.

melindamusil

Registered
Reaction score
When I was in college, I worked at a fast food restaurant with a number of illegals. I'm pretty sure the manager knew, but they were hard workers and he was willing to turn a blind eye. It's my understanding that this is... well, not uncommon!

A former coworker and friend was born in the US, but her parents were illegals. They were naturalized during the Reagan administration, but in the meantime they worked hard and sent her to college, among other things.

So in response to your question - it's probably not as easy to live without papers and hide from the government, but it's completely possible and it happens every day.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine who has just returned to the UK lived in Florida with his family for 10 years illegally. No Social Security number, he originally had a temporary Drivers licence which allowed him to open a bank account but when his visa ran out his license was never renewed. It's not as hard as some may think.

Oh, and he even got his commercial helicopter license too.

Yukinara

The Exile
Registered
Reaction score
so that means even when a person is living illegally, there has to be a paper trail somewhere? Because, as far as I know, a lot of things here require a name or some sort of paperwork. I guess a person doesn't simply pop out of nowhere and vanish without a single clue.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
It is possible to live 'off the grid'... Either by roughing it - simply avoiding situations where ID is required. OR by 'faking it'. It's not that hard to acquire fake paperwork. Even easier is STEALING someone's ID. Hence the vast amount of identity theft.

A quick google of "How to make a fake ID" - revealed Youtube videos on how to make driver's licenses, birth certificates... Etc.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
so that means even when a person is living illegally, there has to be a paper trail somewhere? Because, as far as I know, a lot of things here require a name or some sort of paperwork. I guess a person doesn't simply pop out of nowhere and vanish without a single clue.

No, there doesn't have to be a paper trail. Though as many have said, it may exist, with their name, a fake name, a purchased name, or there may be none at all.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently you don't have Home Depots where you live? There are always undocumented workers hanging just outside to help people with projects for cash. Could just be the area I'm in.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
My friend used his own name but was a handyman so everything was cash, rented accomodation paid in cash. No paper trail, no credit cards.

Trebor1415

Registered
Reaction score
The large number of "illegal aliens" or, if you prefer "undocumented workers" shows that it obviously is possible to live without proof of citizenship.

Some states allow illegal aliens to get driver's licenses. That's accepted as a valid ID in most circumstances.

If someone wants documents, one popular way today is identify theft. There are plenty of cases of illegal aliens using the soc sec numbers of other people who are citizens. You don't need an actual physical card in most cases, just a number to use. And, if you want an actual "fake ID," there are sources.

Even if you don't use a fake ID all the time people do borrow legit ID's from friends and relatives for those times they need one.

As far as everyday living, there's a sizeable "cash only" underground economy out there. It's possible to take jobs under the table that pay cash and then turn around and pay most of your bills in case or simply buy money orders when needed. You don't need a bank account, really, it is just a convenience.

Now, there is a difference between just being an illegal alien and being a wanted fugitive. If you character is actively being looked for that is a different scenario and they'd have to work harder to stay "under the radar" as exposure would have more serious consequences.