PDA

View Full Version : Words You Hate

srgalactica
02-08-2013, 10:56 PM
I thought of this thread after seeing an episode of How I Met Your Mother, where Lily tells her friends she hates the word 'moist'. It squicks her out. What words do you hate?

alleycat
02-08-2013, 11:05 PM
oodles

Kerosene
02-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Any bolded or italicized word in a textbook.

Kylabelle
02-08-2013, 11:19 PM
"utilize"

Also, "gift" used as a verb.

I know, I should adapt. *sigh*

Robbert
02-08-2013, 11:52 PM
The large amount of hyphenated words.

As far as nouns are concerned--why not allow for compound nouns?

Roger J Carlson
02-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Organic when used to describe food. All food (barring some minerals like salt) is organic. All food is organically-grown. That's how food grows -- organically.

Caitlin Black
02-09-2013, 01:01 AM
There are no bad words, only bad uses of those words.

Or something. :)

I don't know, I can't think of any words I hate. There are a few I like more than average though.

Liralen
02-09-2013, 02:35 AM
Yummy.

I don't know why, but it just . . . no.

Jak Mundane
02-09-2013, 02:56 AM
Gurgling.

I don't like the sound of the word, nor the actually gurgling.

IAMWRITER
02-09-2013, 06:07 AM
Snog.

alleycat
02-09-2013, 06:14 AM
foodie

Papaya
02-09-2013, 06:42 AM
wordy

Snowstorm
02-09-2013, 06:50 AM
irregardless

Liralen
02-09-2013, 06:57 AM
words that have extra or different letters that mysteriously appear in pronunciation: chimBley, realAtor, nucUlar . . .

And then there's that popular breed of dog, the ROCKwilDer.

bettielee
02-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Balk or caulk or anything that sounds like that.

Liralen
02-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Organic when used to describe food. All food (barring some minerals like salt) is organic. All food is organically-grown. That's how food grows -- organically.

Dunno. Have you considered the McNugget? Or the McRib?

Papaya
02-09-2013, 09:22 AM
It all depends on how you are defining organic, but I get your point. Perhaps organic wasn't the most accurate word to describe food that is not grown using artificial pesticides, but I personally love seeing the organic label on food. I won't buy anything else.

thepicpic
02-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Proactive angers me greatly. I'm fairly certain it's a tautology if one stops and thinks about it, too. Pretty much any term invented in a board room should be banished as well.
There was a word on the news this morning that really riled me up, but I can't remember what it was now I could actually put it to use...

Robbert
02-09-2013, 05:23 PM
1. hate

2. hatred

3. four-letter words (when used for no obvious reason)

Plot Device
02-09-2013, 05:44 PM
I know it's already been taken .... but "moist."

alleycat
02-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Proactive angers me greatly. I'm fairly certain it's a tautology if one stops and thinks about it, too. Pretty much any term invented in a board room should be banished as well.

They need to be proactive and put aside their interpersonal differences and develop a new paradigm to find a solution to the Fiscal Cliff, irregardless of which side they're invested in. At the end of the day this will enable us to move forward towards a new synergy.

Robbert
02-09-2013, 05:56 PM
All food is organically-grown. That's how food grows -- organically.

Organisms act when getting in contact with soil. Dutch tomatoes react to fertiliser solution--hardly organic, is it?

BigWords
02-09-2013, 06:57 PM
I don't hate them, but words which have special characters for no reason other than visual appearance really, really annoy me - and it is a pain in the ass to go hunt for the code to get those characters to show up correctly.

And any words which appear more than a dozen times in a small amount of space, as they tend to lose all meaning. Transcribing those blurbs makes my head feel as if it going to explode.

ElaineA
02-09-2013, 07:00 PM
It squicks her out. What words do you hate?

I know this thread is about words we hate but I just have to say that SQUICKS is a word I love. :D

I'm with Cliff Face. Can't get up a hatred of words, just the use of them. Like. I can't stand the word 'like' popping up every third word in a conversation

Chris P
02-09-2013, 07:08 PM
I know this thread is about words we hate but I just have to say that SQUICKS is a word I love. :D

I'm with Cliff Face. Can't get up a hatred of words, just the use of them. Like. I can't stand the word 'like' popping up every third word in a conversation

"Likes" your post

Chris P
02-09-2013, 10:42 PM
I hate words I always misspell, like recieved, percieved, and all those "exceptions" that are more numerous than the rule.

Do phrases count? "The exception that proves the rule." No. An exception does not prove the rule. The exceptions and the rules prove themselves. Why does a Granny Smith apple being green prove that other apples are red? It doesn't! *where's that rant icon. . . ?*

max929
02-10-2013, 02:54 AM
There was a word on the news this morning that really riled me up, but I can't remember what it was now I could actually put it to use...

I'm so with this little bastard, all those fuc&ing stupid buzz words just escalate my blood pressure to the point of eruption. If I ever snap and kill someone someday, it will be because he/she said something like "facilitate" or "stream line" or some deviations of these dry, dead, stupid fuck!ng words!!!

Snowstorm
02-10-2013, 03:06 AM
They need to be proactive and put aside their interpersonal differences and develop a new paradigm to find a solution to the Fiscal Cliff, irregardless of which side they're invested in. At the end of the day this will enable us to move forward towards a new synergy.

Gah! My stomach, it heaves!

Sirion
02-10-2013, 03:16 AM
irregardless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StJ-OK4jiSY

Karl Webster
02-10-2013, 03:45 AM
I get irked by those words that rise up out of the bowels of the internet and become popular when they really have no right to. 'Nom' is a personal bugbear of mine. 'Bugbear' is great though. 'Fail' is another (used in that way). Also when people say 'FYI', I really wish they wouldn't.

Battyvamp
02-15-2013, 11:37 AM
I get irked by those words that rise up out of the bowels of the internet and become popular when they really have no right to. 'Nom' is a personal bugbear of mine. 'Bugbear' is great though. 'Fail' is another (used in that way). Also when people say 'FYI', I really wish they wouldn't.

*looks guilty* I use 'nom' and 'fail' a lot >.>mostly cause I had/have to many furry friends >.> and they adore the word 'nom' <.>

But 'obese' is the word I hate with a passion...I would rather be called fat then obese, and when a doctor says obese to me I just want to choke him with his stethoscope >.<