The Palomar Mountain Range, CA (USA)?

-alex-

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

So after some discussions with various people, it’s been suggested I should use The Palomar Mountain Range, CA (USA) for the setting/backdrop of part my WIP.

The things is, I know nothing about area. So, it’s research time.

I’ve googled at little, but besides Wiki, I’m not picking finding much, unless I’ve missed things?

Anyone know much about the climate from month to month, or the environment within the range? (I’m looking to set the story in the heart of the range, away from civilization—where I can base a small hidden community).

Any sites you can recommend?

Thanks.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've been to Palomar (back in the last milenium). It's high desert. Therefore, mountainous and dry, but can get snow as late as May.

Manzanita is the one plant I remember. I believe there were pinons (tilde on middle N) and junipers too.

Assuming this is for fiction, just postulate a town in one of the high valleys.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

-alex-

Registered
Reaction score
You probably should just look for information on one of the nearby cities.

Yes, this is my normal starting point. But, this time, there doesn’t seem to be any I can really base it on. There aren’t any mountains towns and everywhere else is on lower land, not in the mountains.

-alex-

Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've been to Palomar (back in the last milenium). It's high desert. Therefore, mountainous and dry, but can get snow as late as May.

Manzanita is the one plant I remember. I believe there were pinons (tilde on middle N) and junipers too.

Assuming this is for fiction, just postulate a town in one of the high valleys.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
I don't supose you can name any valleys? Haha.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Palomar Mountain is part of the California State Park System (web page here) and here is an image with some of the surrounding towns and roads.

Depending on the size of your community, there are plenty of places to hide them.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or maybe pick an area with more books and websites available for your research?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Try looking at the area on a Google map. If you zoom in, you may be able to see buildings and roads. I've done this for research on the Anzo Borega. The park websites have been very helpful.

Aztecsince79

Registered
Reaction score
Website
riffelbooks.wordpress.com
Palomar has a telescope used frequently by astronomers, so your hidden village would want to avoid that. I also haven't been up there for years, but I had to do some research recently for a news story and apparently in some areas of the state park you can see the Pacific Ocean with the right weather conditions.

The roads up and down Palomar are frequented by motorcyclists. Also, the area tends to burn a lot with brush fires.