PDA

View Full Version : F1 2013

onesecondglance
02-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Testing underway for the new season... anyone care to share predictions?

Perks
02-07-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm trying to get my head around the new drivers' lineup. I'm a little up to my eyeballs in life and stuff, so I haven't been following as closely as I would have liked. I need to get reading to see who these new guys are.

Very interested to see what Hamilton does in the Mercedes. If they haven't made some giant steps forward, we might see how his natural abilities stack up against less than top-of-the-line equipment.

onesecondglance
02-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Part of me wants him to struggle - I think he could do with the experience!

jvc
02-07-2013, 06:57 PM
I think Hamilton will be good this year, but not great. I think he may well win a race, but probably later in the year at one that includes a lot of rain. The real test will be against his team mate. If he beats him, then Hamilton is doing good. If he doesn't, then he isn't as good as he thinks he is. But, I think he is good, so I'll be surprised if he doesn't beat Rosberg, and make it into the top ten often, perhaps a podium by the forth race.

Although, saying all that, he crashed his car in the first test within twenty minutes.

Perks
02-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Part of me wants him to struggle - I think he could do with the experience!I'm right there with you on that. I've been a big fan of Rosberg's since he came on the scene. Now that he's stopped crashing every five minutes, I've been rooting for him. He handled himself (and the car) admirably in Schumacher's company, so I'll be fascinated to see this little soap opera play out.

There's a lot of 'ifs'. If Schumi was just rusty and the cars had evolved too much in his absence for his successful return, then maybe Rosberg isn't as good as I hope he is. If the Merc has taken some massive leap forward, then we won't be able to judge. If Lewis' penchant for pouting keeps him from giving it his all, then it'll be difficult to compare the drivers.

It'll be good fun.

TedTheewen
02-18-2013, 12:58 AM
I'm getting excited. I can't wait, really.

DreamWeaver
02-18-2013, 05:21 AM
So hard to wait! Bring it on...

TedTheewen
02-18-2013, 06:23 AM
I'm getting edgy with this whole waiting game.

jvc
02-26-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm annoyed that I won't be able to watch the opener live because of the stupid BBC. I think I even heard they won't be showing the first three races live. :rant:

onesecondglance
02-26-2013, 05:57 PM
The BBC were fools to let the live rights go. Their highest rated shows of 2011 were grands prix!

Luckily I already had Sky HD (not Sports) so I got it without extra cost. Someone I know resorted to pulling a satellite feed from Germany and syncing it with Radio 5's commentary...

TedTheewen
02-26-2013, 10:30 PM
I know there are live feeds available online, if you know where to look.

TedTheewen
03-03-2013, 08:31 AM
F1's Official website has started the countdown to the first practice in Australia. Woo-Hoo! 12 Days! 12 Long, dragging days.

jvc
03-03-2013, 04:57 PM
So, who do we think is going to win the first race, then? I'm gonna go with Webber. It's about time he had a decent home grand prix.

onesecondglance
03-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Not a bad shout - I reckon RB are formidably fast. Personally I still don't expect much from Mercedes despite the fast times in testing. And I would be lying if I didn't say I wanted Jenson to win ;)

jvc
03-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Oh, I'd like Hamilton to win. I tend to support the underdog, and Hamilton is certainly that this season. Although I think he'll end up qualifying 8th and then crashing into the first corner.

TedTheewen
03-03-2013, 10:36 PM
I think a lot of teams that struggled last year have a lot to prove this year. And I'm very curious what some of the smaller teams will do, like Force India, who should be in the point this year.

KellyAssauer
03-03-2013, 10:58 PM
And Sauber, and Williams too! =)

*as for underdogs, I hope Felipe, Mark, Sergio and Pastor all do better than their team mates*

jvc
03-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Well, only a couple of days to go. Who is excited? Come on, it's gonna be epic. :D

onesecondglance
03-14-2013, 09:03 PM
I find "stoked" too American-sounding and not part of my natural lexicon, so it will suffice to say I am totally fookin' revved for the start of the season.

I will be sat reading the as-it-happens practice commentary on the BBC sport site tomorrow. I'd watch it if I thought I could get away with bringing a TV into work...

DreamWeaver
03-15-2013, 04:18 AM
Less that 4 hours till the new NBCSports F1 coverage starts.

Oh, did I forget to put the 18 exclamation points after that that would actually represent how I feel? Silly me :D.

onesecondglance
03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Not a great start for a McLaren fan, but how brilliantly did Sutil do? A second faster than di Resta in both sessions despite a year away. di Resta is no slouch, either!

KellyAssauer
03-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Less that 4 hours till the new NBCSports F1 coverage starts.

Thanks for the warning!

I had just enough time to realize that my dvd recorder was on the fritz (again) and had to resort to the vcr... remember those? But it worked! I'll get to watch both practices this morning!

=)

jvc
03-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Well, the Red Bulls did well, as did Sutil. Hamilton crashed earlier than I predicted, but it seems it was the car and not him. It is looking like a run-away win for Vettel at the moment.

jvc
03-16-2013, 08:38 PM
What a dissapointing qualifying, it only lasted ten minutes. I usually like races when it rains, however, when they just cancel the frigging thing, it is annoying.

onesecondglance
03-16-2013, 09:57 PM
The little bit we did get was pretty good, but yeah, a disappointing end. Must have been really gutting for the crowd too.

KellyAssauer
03-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Needless to say, I'm somewhat annoyed. If F1 really thinks that they're just going to have Q2 and Q3 later today... it's a joke. They should start the whole thing over from the beginning... it should be one single event, not broken up into bits because of too much whining from the prima donna's... *grumble grumble*

onesecondglance
03-17-2013, 03:43 AM
I dunno, I got the impression it was race control who made the call. All the top tier drivers seemed to be fine with the conditions. We've seen worse during races in the past few seasons.

KellyAssauer
03-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Wakey wakey!

It's time! =)

DreamWeaver
03-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Well, I certainly enjoyed that season opener!

Potential spoiler space...

Nice to see our mechanic's much-repeated prediction from last year finally come true :D. (It *was* Matchett, wasn't it?)

KellyAssauer
03-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Fun race!

But we all know better.

It's the season opener. Anything can happen in Australia, and it usually does. If you attempt to take these results and forecast the outcome of the season... you will be wrong. =)

*that's a part of what makes the season opener soo much fun!* ;)

onesecondglance
03-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Great drive from Kimi. He looked good all race long. No idea what's happened to RBR's pace though - they just seemed to fade away in a very Mercedes-like fashion.

KellyAssauer
03-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Makes you think that maybe Kimi really does know what he's doing...

;)

Perks
03-18-2013, 04:34 AM
Had to watch it in a pub, competing with a bagpipe and drum group and March Madness.

Still better than a poke in the eye.

KellyAssauer
03-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Everyone ready?

Malaysia in just a few hours!

omg! That was Bob Varsha's voice on practice 2!
For a moment there I forgot what year it was...

Everything felt so normal...

=)

onesecondglance
03-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Crikey, controversial stuff this weekend.

jvc
03-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Yep, imagine all of the top three not being happy at all with where they finished. Well, except for Vettel, who had a hell of a performance. That performance being after the race at the interviews where he apologised and said he wasn't happy with his win. A very good performance indeed. I almost believed him. Almost.

onesecondglance
03-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I must say I thought much the same. He can apologise all he wants, but he'll go to bed with 25 points under his pillow and a smile on his face. I like Vettel - I think he's a nice kid - but he's a racer, and racers like to win.

I was gutted for Jenson. Fifth place seemed a given, and with the Mercedes put-putting across the line from lack of fuel he might have been snapping at their heels. I don't think it's a coincidence that Force India had problems with wheel nuts either, given the connections between the teams. Shoot the supplier!

DreamWeaver
03-25-2013, 01:48 AM
Just finished watching the race on DVR. Teammate shenanigans aside, still waiting to find out what happened with Alonso. That was almost a slapstick moment when he got wing under his front tires and slid straight off the track into the kitty litter. And it appeared he did it all to himself :eek: .

ETA: And speaking of slapstick, Hamilton's visit to the McLaren pits was pretty funny, too. I could *so* totally see myself doing something like that :D.

jvc
03-25-2013, 01:55 AM
Yep, Alonso should've come in for a new nose. A bit stupid really. But, then again: Should've, would've, could've.

KellyAssauer
04-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Two races in, and my attention has drifted from all the usual suspects.

I'm keeping my eyes on a fascinating new thing...
Jules Bianchi.

I don't think he's long for the backmarkers!

onesecondglance
04-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Two races in, and my attention has drifted from all the usual suspects.

I'm keeping my eyes on a fascinating new thing...
Jules Bianchi.

I don't think he's long for the backmarkers!

Indeed - he's comprehensively destroying Max Chilton and both Caterhams. I foresee a move to Ferrari in his future...

KellyAssauer
04-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Indeed - he's comprehensively destroying Max Chilton and both Caterhams.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p637/joannademontecristo/Jules%20Bianchi/Jules%20Bianchi%202/jules3714_zps9d24a0a6.jpg

...and he looks good doing too! ;)

onesecondglance
04-12-2013, 03:52 PM
So. China.

Predictions? Vettel to cut Webber off at the first corner?

jvc
04-12-2013, 05:53 PM
There is a lot of complaining over the soft tyre they chose for this weekend. It apparently is falling apart after only two laps, which should make the race interesting.

I think neither Webber or Vettel will listen to anything orders from the team. So if they find they are running ahead and behind each other, they will race hard, then on the last lap run out of fuel, or their tyres will explode, or something like that. Should be fun to watch.

DreamWeaver
04-15-2013, 04:41 AM
Ok, that was a very exciting finish. Talk about hanging on by your fingernails! :D

ETA: And how about poor Mark Webber? If he didn't have bad luck, he'd have no luck at all :( .

onesecondglance
04-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Yeah, Webber's race was tragicomic. Something about the sight of that wheel bouncing forlornly across the track just cracked me up - summed up his awful weekend to a t.

Good solid drives from the top five - no stand out performances for me but all of them did well.

How about that argy-bargy between Sutil and di Resta? That was fun!

jvc
04-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Webber also got a 3 place grid penalty after the race for next week. So his weekend of bad luck didn't end when the race ended. When it rains it pours.

DreamWeaver
04-16-2013, 05:40 PM
I thought it was interesting that there were five World Champions in the race, and they finished 1-2-3-4-5.

onesecondglance
04-16-2013, 06:41 PM
I hadn't noticed that - good spot!

TedTheewen
05-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Spain is next. Should be interesting to see what 3 weeks off does for the teams.

jvc
05-11-2013, 08:00 AM
I'm looking forward to it. And, even better, the BBC is showing it live. :TheWave:

TedTheewen
05-11-2013, 09:48 AM
I've decided that NASCAR is just pro wrestling with stock cars. I much prefer F1. Even when they do tell drivers to hang back, nobody listens and they at least say it in code.

DreamWeaver
05-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Even when they do tell drivers to hang back, nobody listens :roll:

onesecondglance
05-11-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm finding it hard to get into the season this year. I think it's these big gaps early in the season - they stop the momentum. That and the comedy tyres - sort it out, Pirelli.

TedTheewen
05-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Yeah, this year seems to be more about tires than anything else.

P2 in Spain showed just how rough that track is going to be for drivers. The hardest tires out there were getting torn apart.

DreamWeaver
05-12-2013, 02:38 AM
Which could give us a race in which no one finishes...or one of the backmarkers laps slowly enough to save their tires and wins in lonely splendor as the last car standing. They'd take it, too--it's a win no matter how it comes :D.

TedTheewen
05-12-2013, 03:20 AM
Either way, this should be a very interesting race.

TedTheewen
05-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Monaco this week. I always love this race. It's beautiful to watch and the drivers really have to show their skills.

onesecondglance
05-26-2013, 09:19 PM
What a race!

jvc
05-26-2013, 10:37 PM
I wasn't impressed by today's race. It had its moments, yes, but by and large it wasn't exciting, just a long line of cars trying not to over exert their tyres.

TedTheewen
05-26-2013, 11:48 PM
I thought this race was amazing. First, who would have thought Force India would get a 5th place finish? And the various drivers who really went for it. This was a pretty wild race, actually. There was a lot of over-taking and a lot of seriously crazy driving.

DreamWeaver
05-27-2013, 12:25 AM
I'm sure the announcers *really* enjoyed it, since NBC loosened the purse strings enough to actually send them to the race. Some advantages to having it on the main NBC channel :D.

jvc
05-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Since the BBC didn't show it live, I guess I missed out on a lot of stuff. And although those at the back of the grid had some great racing and some overtaking, the ones in the front did not.

I think the main problem I had with the race, mainly focused here on those up front, is that they weren't racing to win, they were trying not to lose. And when that is your goal as a driver, you'll never win, even if you come first.

TedTheewen
05-27-2013, 12:49 AM
I wonder what team will be the next one to enjoy "Secret" testing sessions with Pirelli?

KellyAssauer
05-27-2013, 03:10 PM
And although those at the back of the grid had some great racing and some overtaking, the ones in the front did not.

Adrian Sutil would like your people to call his people.

:e2tongue:

jvc
05-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Adrian Sutil would like your people to call his people.

Well, yeah, I wouldn't say anything bad about Sutil, if I did he'd probably punch me in the face. ;)

But he did have a very good race, so well done him. Paul Di Resta also had a good race coming from 17th to finish 9th. And Kimi's last few laps were very impressive. And Perez provided some entertainment.

It wasn't a bad race, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying it wasn't great and I was disappointed with the leaders (top four). Vettel proved how fast they could've gone if they had been actually racing by posting a time two seconds a lap faster three laps from the end.

Plus, the BBC's lack of coverage when they aren't showing the live race is really pissing me off. Just because they wanted to buy the freaking Voice for 20million we can't watch half the races live and in full.

Perks
05-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Because of our living arrangements, this is only the second race I've seen this year. Being a big fan of Nico Rosberg since he came on scene (back when neither he or Chris Klien could make it through the first lap without barrel rolling the car) I loved it.

Beautiful day at the races.

Still, Monaco, as a place, freaks me out. It's like Vegas, except without the joke part.

KellyAssauer
05-27-2013, 08:17 PM
No matter what complaints anyone has with the Monaco circuit (It's a lot like riding your bicycle around your living room) or the issues with exactly what kind of tires F1 specifically ordered from Pirelli... you cannot take away the fact that Nico had a fantastic weekend! Not only did the hometown boy do good... he went and accomplished what his Father did thirty years before (a first in F1 history) AND he brought the first Silver Arrow ever to the winner's block for Mercedes.

Considering the fact that no one believed he would do it... made it all that much more special. It really choked me up. By the time TK won Indy, I was balling... in a good way.

=)

Perks
05-27-2013, 08:50 PM
About Keke - was he there? The NBC coverage was cut off just after the trophies were presented, but there were no cutaway shots to Nico's dad. It seemed weird that he wouldn't be there. Do we know anything about this?

TedTheewen
05-27-2013, 09:59 PM
I don't know, Perks. That's a good question and I wondered about it, too.

I'll admit that it was nice seeing Mercedes win. I know they've had it rough for the past few years. You cannot deny that Pirelli offering special testing sessions helped them.

Perks
05-27-2013, 10:06 PM
So The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/27/sports/autoracing/27iht-prix27.html) says that he was there...

MONACO — With his father, Keke, watching by the side of the track, the German driver Nico Rosberg won Formula One (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/f/formula_one/index.html?inline=nyt-org)’s most prestigious race, the Monaco Grand Prix (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/m/monaco_grand_prix/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier), on Sunday, 30 years after Keke Rosberg won it (http://www.nytimes.com/1983/05/16/sports/rosberg-captures-monaco-grand-prix.html). It is the first time a father and son have won the race.

TedTheewen
05-27-2013, 10:16 PM
I did enjoy watching the stunningly beautiful women at that race. When I win the lottery, it would be nice to at least be in the same room with some of them.

onesecondglance
05-28-2013, 03:42 PM
It was a fun race - more exciting than the rest of the season so far put together, and that's even with the front four going for a Sunday drive instead of racing properly, which says something.

Perez is a silly boy and cost himself and the team good points by trying too hard. Sutil showed how to do sweet moves without any danger of contact when he passed Alonso and Button, and Button showed much the same thing when he passed Alonso. Perez is just a bit too fiery for his own good at the moment.

What a last lap from Kimi, though. They showed his onboard camera for that lap after the race finished on Sky, and he just sailed past everyone. Most people would be happy to get three overtakes in one race at Monte Carlo, let alone three in one lap. Absolute hero.

KellyAssauer
06-02-2013, 04:14 AM
Since we have this gap and nothing to do... a friend of mine sent me this link to a f1 forum (http://www.f1rejects.com/). It's a bit much for me, but some of you who enjoy the history and techno stuff might get a real kick out it. =)

TedTheewen
06-02-2013, 04:56 AM
Interesting site.

KellyAssauer
06-08-2013, 10:21 PM
"Like he'll ever see this...*

Congrats Valtteri Bottas!!!
and Thank You for putting a Williams back where it belongs.

Wow.

Interesting site.

F1rejects?
Isn't it though?
Just think of how 'at home' JVC would probably feel there...
;)

jvc
06-08-2013, 11:03 PM
"Like he'll ever see this...*

Congrats Valtteri Bottas!!!
and Thank You for putting a Williams back where it belongs.

Wow.
Bottas did brilliant today and I'm sure Williams are very happy with their new chappy.

I found this qualifying very exciting indeed. A little water goes a long way.

F1rejects?
Isn't it though?
Just think of how 'at home' JVC would probably feel there...
;)

KellyAssauer
06-08-2013, 11:08 PM
And that Massa crash just added to the mayhem. =(

jvc
06-08-2013, 11:17 PM
I really feel sorry for Massa, who just can't catch a break sometimes. However, the mayhem it caused did add to the thrill at the end. It should be a brilliant race tomorrow, I'm really looking forward to it. And I get to watch it live and in full as this is one of the races the BBC is showing. :yessmiley

KellyAssauer
06-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Was it last year?

24 Hueres Du Mans
12 Hours of Sebring
and the 6 Hours of Montreal......

TedTheewen
06-09-2013, 04:17 AM
I've always liked the Canada race. It's a beautiful track, too.

onesecondglance
06-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Every session I was pointing at the timing, saying "Bottas? BOTTAS?" Boy done good. I am not a Maldonado fan whatsoever so that made his success even sweeter ;)

KellyAssauer
06-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Every session I was pointing at the timing, saying "Bottas? BOTTAS?" Boy done good. I am not a Maldonado fan whatsoever so that made his success even sweeter ;)

I like F1, but I can't say that I'm a fan of any particular driver. When I first started watching there were names I heard a lot, like Kimi, David, Rubens, Ralph and Michael - and all of them seemed to be very professional. As I learned more about the sport, drivers came and went. One day, I watched a rookie named Lewis find himself on a podium for the very first time. He was so surprised, modest, nearly apologetic, and so well mannered that it was difficult not to like the star struck kid. Yet the way he handled himself a year or two later when he was frustrated and nothing was going right... made me change my mind.

I did learn something though... that famous Senna quote:

By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver, because we are competing.

So.... I can't blame Hamilton or Maldonado, or anyone else (new or old) for going for that gap. They are race car drivers after all, but I do still have that same perspective as a fan of the sport that I had in the beginning: I enjoy seeing driver's that know what a privilege they have been given, and continue to respect that rare opportunity. I enjoy watching drivers who have manners and represent their teams and behave professionally.

And I love seeing the underdog win, or the b-driver win, (or the bridesmaid) or a return to glory for a team that had it once.. or to see some 'new' kid surpass everyone's expectations.

Given all of my odd criteria and likes, I think it would be easy to see why Lewis, Sebastian, and Fernando can really irritate me at times. I don't wish them any harm... but I'm not buying that "I deserve" mentality one bit. Young drivers with equal skill get turned away every year - and yet I know - it would be a boring sport if every driver was an accommodating, and gracious gentleman like Rubens...

So yes... Go Valtteri!
Go Jean-Eric!
Go Daniel!
Go Adrian!

-all of whom advanced to Q3!

Bravo!

Well done.

TedTheewen
06-10-2013, 12:31 AM
Damn, that race was boring. I fell asleep for a few laps.

jvc
06-10-2013, 12:34 AM
I didn't think it was that bad. Boring that Vettel won with such a lead, but there was plenty of action going on down the field. Shame that Bottas couldn't convert the 3rd place on the grid into some points, but he did well, nonetheless. Would've liked to have seen Hamilton keep his second place, or actually be able to challenge Vettel up front. I don't think he was helped by certain drivers ignoring the blue flags.

jvc
06-10-2013, 04:41 PM
A marshal was killed (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/f1-track-marshal-killed-during-canadian-grand-prix-won-by-sebastian-vettel-8651923.html) at yesterday's grand prix whilst recovering Gutierrez's car.

KellyAssauer
06-10-2013, 05:02 PM
That is terribly sad.
My heart goes out to his family.

I really do want to celebrate the record setting sixth place finish by STR-Ferrari's Jean Eric Vergne. Way to go!

And - somebody should note the truly bizarre:

Paul di Resta finished seventh yesterday in his Force-India Mercedes after doing something quite unusual. He dashed into the pits to replace his worn out medium compound tyres........

on lap 67.

Chew on that for awhile. =)

onesecondglance
06-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Paul did a truly incredible job out there. Sutil - who is no slouch as a driver! - stopped twice before Paul's first stop. As JB lamented afterwards, Force India's one stop strategy knocked the socks off everyone else trying to go down the same road.

Speaking of McLaren, a truly dire afternoon for them. Despite splitting the strategies, neither driver got into the points for the first time in 65 races. JB messed up in quali, but it's clear from both cars' finishing positions that's as fast as they can go. Really not good enough.

Alonso, though, showed he's the class of the field. Such a great drive from him - never gave up, no matter what. If he hadn't also messed up quali, he might have been able to fight Seb (who also had a great race). Really strong performance from JEV, too, and I felt sorry for Bottas and Ricciardo to end up down in P14 and P15 respectively. Very odd to see so many of the field lapped though - a quirk of the track or midfield drivers holding things up?

I was shocked and saddened to hear about the marshal. Without the efforts of race marshals around the world we wouldn't have a championship. Much respect to them all.

KellyAssauer
06-15-2013, 05:18 PM
:ROFL:

:roll:

The rejects are giving their predictions for tomorrow's New Jersey race....
(http://www.f1rejects.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6167)
*wipes away tears*

KellyAssauer
06-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Now there's something I could see a little more of...

A podium without Seb. :)

*and a fantastic come back from dead last to 6th by Felipe!* Woohoo!

jvc
06-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Now there's something I could see a little more of...

A podium without Seb. :)

*and a fantastic come back from dead last to 6th by Felipe!* Woohoo!
A better come back from dead last to 4th place by Lewis!

(Just saying :D )

TedTheewen
07-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Lots of mayhem in this race. But the final 10 laps were pure hardcore.

onesecondglance
07-01-2013, 01:55 PM
They were bloody confusing if you were there (I was)!

TedTheewen
07-07-2013, 09:39 PM
So Vettel finally wins in Germany. Nice.

This race was kinda boring. Once again Webber can't catch a break.

It was nice not to have the entire race about the tires. The tire drama is getting old.

DreamWeaver
07-07-2013, 10:04 PM
I missed quite a bit of the race as I was switching back and forth between F1, the Tour de France, and Wimbledon. Though the last few laps of the Grand Prix were pretty exciting, and I was out of my seat yelling for Dan Martin to win the stage in France, I have to give the edge to Wimbledon this time :D. Way to go, Andy Murray!!!!

KellyAssauer
07-08-2013, 01:15 AM
I'll be back... I, ummm,
have to go show Jules where to find the parking brake lever.

:D

onesecondglance
07-08-2013, 10:50 AM

In hindsight, that was quite funny (knowing that no-one got hurt), but watching it at the time it was seriously scary!

It was a pretty good race, I thought. Nice to have a bit of a challenge up front for a change.

Perks
07-08-2013, 05:01 PM
I am bummed. With all that's going on here, I won't be able to get back into F1 until after August.

I miss all the fun.

onesecondglance
07-08-2013, 05:45 PM
You'll miss Hungary and Spa, but thanks to the summer break and the weirdly uneven timetable that's about it. Oh, and the Young Drivers test.

I highly recommend James Allen's blog for staying up to date!

TedTheewen
07-24-2013, 11:06 AM
The F1 site doesn't want to load right for me anymore because of some crap I loaded to block ads. Weird.

Eddyz Aquila
07-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Looking forward to Spa Francochamps, that track is absolute class. And a lot of entertainment as well.

onesecondglance
07-26-2013, 01:30 PM
F1 has returned once more. This season's timetable is all over the place! Anyway, Hungary this weekend. My money's on a Red Bull, a Ferrari, or a Mercedes (or a Lotus). Reckon I've got my bases covered there...

onesecondglance
07-26-2013, 01:31 PM
F1 has returned once more. This season's timetable is all over the place! Anyway, Hungary this weekend. My money's on a Red Bull, a Ferrari, or a Mercedes (or a Lotus). Reckon I've got my bases covered there...

DreamWeaver
07-26-2013, 04:51 PM
My money's on a Red Bull, a Ferrari, or a Mercedes (or a Lotus). Reckon I've got my bases covered there...Ya think? :roll:

onesecondglance
07-30-2013, 01:00 PM
So a pretty good race to take us into the mid-season break - is it me, or does it feel like there have already been about four mid-season breaks this year?

Great drive from Webber in particular, although his countryman Ricciardo had a nightmare. Grosjean needs a slap for throwing away a chance at a podium with clumsy moves on Button and Massa.

Big questions going into the break:
- Can Ferrari improve their car enough to give Alonso a shot at the championship? They were the fourth fastest team out there and Vettel has an intimidating gap.
- What the hell has happened to Force India? They had no pace at all in Hungary even before they retired (hydraulic leaks), and Germany wasn't much better.
- Are we actually seeing an improvement in McLaren's form? Despite all the commentators' assertions that we are, they didn't finish much better than usual.
- How long are RBR going to string out the gossip over Mark's seat (I'm putting my money on Ricciardo getting it)? The speculation is fun and everything, but it's starting to get a little tired.

DreamWeaver
07-30-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm putting my money on RBR pulling a fast one and the seat not going to either of the two announced finalists. It just seems...well, more F1 :D.

ETA: My brother and I were discussing what would happen if Raikonnen got the seat and in a race was told to hold position behind a race-leading Vettel. Much hilarity ensued :evil.

onesecondglance
07-30-2013, 07:11 PM
"My radio is broken... I can overtake now? Stay completely silent for 'yes'..."

jvc
07-30-2013, 07:29 PM
So a pretty good race to take us into the mid-season break - is it me, or does it feel like there have already been about four mid-season breaks this year?
Not just you. The gap between the last two races seem way too long, and I thought that had been the summer break. But, nope. We get another.

It was a great race and a great win for Lewis. Although he could've toned down his dedication to his ex. Get over her all ready. She has with you.

And Alonso will be going to Red Bull next year. ;)

onesecondglance
07-30-2013, 08:14 PM
The bit with Lewis going mushy over Nicole was just cringe-y. I almost unfollowed him on Twitter because he kept posting this maudlin pining crap about her, but I decided to stick around (mainly for the inevitable moment when he posts Nico's speed traces in a fit of pique ;)).

onesecondglance
08-23-2013, 03:56 PM
F1, you say? What's that?

Oh, I remember, that thing we used to watch. It's back? How long has it been? Three years?

TedTheewen
08-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Spa was good. I do enjoy that track. I love the hills. Weird brake issues though, because that track is so hard on them.

Force India is looking seriously good, though.

DreamWeaver
09-03-2013, 04:06 AM
Ricciardo to Red Bull. Onesecondglance wins!

KellyAssauer
09-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Geez, I wish Formula 1 was back.

All my TV gets is reruns of Racing with Seb...

:Shrug:

mirandashell
09-08-2013, 07:28 PM
You don't get F1 now?

I wish we didn't..... but OH deserves it, I guess. Just.

KellyAssauer
09-08-2013, 08:19 PM
No, I do. I'm just whining. =)

And I don't care how they spin it,
still a very good race weekend for Felipe.

DreamWeaver
09-09-2013, 04:58 AM

:Shrug:{{{snarf}}}:tongue

KellyAssauer
09-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Well, there it is.

When Rubens Barrichello left Ferarri, I cried. I did. He was a teddy bear of a race car driver, everyone liked him, and a gentleman to boot! No one could ever take his place... and along came the upstart kid of Felipe Massa, and he had a lot to prove.

Under the long shadow of Micheal Schumacher he continued in the bridesmaid tradition, even when Michael retired and Kimi stepped in to win his championship. when Alonzo was hired, no one knew which of the two would prove to be the A driver.

All along, Felipe waited his chance, and if the Interlagos track had been one corner shorter... the bridesmaid would have been champion! But luck ran out, and Alonzo got better behind the wheel.

In 2009 the oddest thing ever ended Felipe's season when a suspension bit from Barrichello's Braun during qualifying crashed into his helmet. Some say, he was never quite the same driver after that, but still he pressed on, scored points, and towed the company line.

Today, he announced he is leaving Ferrari at the end of this season.

What seems like a so-so career by the press is far more impressive on paper. Felipe ends his tour with Ferarri as the single most successful b-driver Ferarri has ever had. More podiums, more points, more poles (not more starts!) than any gone before him.

He won me over... and if the rumors are true,
I'll be rooting for Lotus to win next year. =)

Best of luck Felipe!
(who oddly enough is looking a little teddy bearish now!) =)

onesecondglance
09-11-2013, 06:06 PM
I am really unsure about them pairing Kimi with Fernando. I think it could end in tears: remember Alonso being a sulky so-and-so while paired with Lewis at McLaren, and Kimi being much the same when paired with Massa at Ferrari first time around. They do not play well with others.

I also can't see Massa getting a decent drive - I doubt Lotus will have him, and there aren't many other seats out there. :(

DreamWeaver
09-12-2013, 06:13 AM
Remember in the fairly early laps of last weekend's race, when the team had Massa let Alonso by? I'm trying to imagine Kimi complying with those team orders, but I don't think my imagination stretches quite that far. I will have to see it to believe it.

Ferrari also has the reputation of not liking their drivers to get too comfortable, and of liking to keep their drivers on their toes by pitting them against each other in almost a snakepit atmosphere.

Or so I've heard ;).

TedTheewen
09-12-2013, 06:22 AM
I'm not a fan of Kimi, but I do enjoy hearing the quips over the radio.

Kelly, it seems that F1 has a history of taking good drivers who do tow the company line and really holding them down. I hope he does go to Lotus where they would appreciate him.

KellyAssauer
09-12-2013, 07:09 AM
I'm not worried about Felipe. If he wants to drive... who in their right mind would turn down someone with that much experience as a developmental driver?

I have to agree though, with Mr. "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing." back at Ferarri... and Alonzo being a caricature of a race car driver... it promises to be terribly entertaining! :roll:

TedTheewen
09-12-2013, 07:24 AM
The fights will look like NASCAR.

DreamWeaver
09-12-2013, 04:01 PM
The fights will look like NASCAR.Aha! Now we see the point of their evil plan! Bwwwwaaahahahahahahahahahah :evil:

onesecondglance
09-20-2013, 01:17 PM
McLaren want Fernando Alonso to rejoin them next season and have made the Ferrari driver their prime target. The Spaniard is unsettled at Ferrari and McLaren hope to persuade him to return to a team he drove for in 2007.

Asked if he wanted the double world champion, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: "Yes - any team would. He's the best driver.

"I don't know his contractual situation. I assume he's under contract," he told BBC Sport.

If McLaren were able to secure Alonso, he would replace Mexican Sergio Perez. Jenson Button is under contract and will stay on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/24171278

The BBC are stirring again... mind, looking at Perez's points tally this year, I wouldn't blame McLaren. They should have taken the Hulk over Perez.

DreamWeaver
09-23-2013, 05:38 AM

:Shrug:Hmmm...seems to be an ongoing problem :D

TedTheewen
09-23-2013, 05:43 AM
All my TV gets is Sebastian takes a leisurely drive while a bunch a guys scramble to keep up.

KellyAssauer
09-23-2013, 05:53 AM
Can you believe?

The FIA has given Mark Webber a 10 spot grid penalty for riding back to the pits on Alonzo's car at race end.

Unbelievable.

The single most public display of good sportsmanship I have ever witnessed during an F1 event... and those morons hand out penalties.

*gah*

More news: Juan Pablo Montoya (you killed my race car - prepare to die) who still holds F1 records for fastest laps at many tracks (and is definitely a teddy bear) will not return to Nascar in 2014 but has signed a contract to race Indycar. I like that he's going back to open wheel, but I hate that he never got that oval win. =)

TedTheewen
09-23-2013, 06:58 AM
More news: Juan Pablo Montoya (you killed my race car - prepare to die) who still holds F1 records for fastest laps at many tracks (and is definitely a teddy bear) will not return to Nascar in 2014 but has signed a contract to race Indycar. I like that he's going back to open wheel, but I hate that he never got that oval win. =)

No, but he did cause on of the most spectacular wrecks in NASCAR history.

onesecondglance
09-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Can you believe?

The FIA has given Mark Webber a 10 spot grid penalty for riding back to the pits on Alonzo's car at race end.

Unbelievable.

Apparently it's a mandatory penalty for a third infringement. Still stinks though.

Wasn't the most fascinating race in the world. I'm almost wishing for crashes these days to spice things up - the influence of the safety car was the most interesting thing that happened yesterday.

I say "almost" because I don't want anyone to get hurt - but I do want to see drivers pushing hard, taking risks, and making mistakes. This season it seems to be 10% push and 90% look after the tyres/save fuel/don't damage the gearbox/etc...

DreamWeaver
09-23-2013, 08:15 PM
No, but he did cause on of the most spectacular wrecks in NASCAR history.I know it wasn't his fault, but one of the worst days of my TV watching career was when the cable company changed out my DVR and I lost the saved footage of JPM setting the Daytona Motor Speedway on fire--literally :D. That was hilarious, though it wouldn't have been if anyone had gotten hurt. They didn't though, and the fireball plus the running river of fire would have made any Hollywood special effects wizard proud. Which driver was it who pulled out a phone and started tweeting a running commentary (after all the cars had been stopped--no texting & driving in NASCAR :tongue). Then the cherry on the sundae was bringing out the Tide powder detergent to finish the cleanup (best product placement evah ;)).

I spent two days trying to figure out how to transfer the saved track fire footage off that stupid DVR, but extensive googling turned up no one who could figure out a way to do it with that model. Oh well.

DreamWeaver
10-07-2013, 06:33 AM

Hmmm...seems to be an ongoing problem :D

All my TV gets is Sebastian takes a leisurely drive while a bunch a guys scramble to keep up.Appears the TV hasn't been fixed yet...:tongue

wilchris
10-07-2013, 06:37 AM
All my TV gets is Sebastian takes a leisurely drive while a bunch a guys scramble to keep up.
Vettel or Schumacher in the same car, in a straight fight?

onesecondglance
10-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Vettel. Schumy is a great driver - it is not all about the car - but Vettel is just too fast. I don't think he has the racecraft that all those years of experience would bring, but that's not an issue when he's half a minute down the racetrack.

It was a more entertaining race yesterday, thanks mainly to the fire truck... I was gutted for Mark though. If he hadn't been behind Perez when the tyre failed he might well have been on for a podium.

KellyAssauer
10-08-2013, 03:37 AM
'Gutted for Mark' kinda sums up his entire F1 career for me. =(

Okay, almost off topic... but has anyone seen RUSH yet?
I really need to know why it's rated R (prolly not for Racecars?)
My friend has a 13year old F1 fan that will not stop asking to see it...

onesecondglance
10-08-2013, 12:06 PM
I've seen it - it's excellent.

The R would be for gore. There are some pretty harrowing shots of injuries, including Niki Lauda's burns, and one really icky-squicky scene during his rehabilitation that is just stomach-turning. We're not talking horror-movie splatter, it's visceral and realistic, and all the more icky-squicky for it.

SPOILER: they have to use a vacuum device to clear fluid from Lauda's lungs. It's a great big piece of metal tubing they shove down his throat, and you hear him gagging and wincing as it sucks out blood and pus, which you see splattering into a collection jar. Then they pull the thing out, and you think it's over, and he croaks for them to do it again. The camera doesn't linger as much the second time, but it is still horrible to watch (which is the whole point).

There's also a fair amount of implied sex and a small amount of casual swearing (couple of f-bombs). Plus everyone smokes, which seems like it automatically gets you a rating these days...

But. It is a really good film - I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I think pretty much any F1 fan would find something to like.

jvc
10-11-2013, 02:34 AM
Happy Birthday to Murray Walker, the voice of Formula one, who celebrates his 90th birthday today. (I wrote a blog post about him)

KellyAssauer
10-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Suzuka

:gaah

DreamWeaver
10-13-2013, 06:58 PM
TV still stuck on the same channel :tongue. Luckily, I kind of like Vettel. Feel bad for Hamilton, though.

jvc
10-14-2013, 01:23 AM
Suzuka

:gaah
For those who follow me on twitter will know I do a daily "On this day" segment. And I had to get this one in for today. I loved that race. One of the best and most emotional for me.

On this day: In 1996 Damon Hill won the Japanese Grand Prix and the World Championship, his first and only one. It brought tears to my eyes.

KellyAssauer
10-14-2013, 02:52 AM
TV still stuck on the same channel :tongue. Luckily, I kind of like Vettel. Feel bad for Hamilton, though.

I don't dislike Vettel, but it's old and it's boring.

I'm finding myself watching everything from p1 down, because that's the only interesting thing there is to watch.

For the next race why don't we just say Seb won,
give him the trophy before it starts,
and tell him to park the car.

Then, there might be a real race on the track.

jvc
10-14-2013, 03:18 AM
I gotta admit, I really wanted Webber to win today. Not that I'm bored with Vettel winning or anything. Well, actually come to think of it, yeah, pretty boring. But there are good fights going on down the field.

onesecondglance
10-14-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm finding myself watching everything from p1 down, because that's the only interesting thing there is to watch.

That's been pretty much the last five seasons, hasn't it?

Not saying you're wrong, because I'm doing the same thing. I can't actually remember a recent race where there was a close battle for the lead.

(You could almost make an argument that this has pretty much always been the case with F1, and that's it's a feature, not a bug...)

KellyAssauer
10-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Let's go Max!
Let's go Max!
Let's go Max!
Just one more race!
(and he'll break the record for most consecutive finishes by a rookie!)

WooHoo!

Anyone else with me? We could start a movement, a revolution! Just think of all the anxiety and excitement we could build up for the next race! Yessiree! I'm on the very edge of my seat here. I'm gonna count down every lap! We could make it a drinking game! One shot a lap! Let's go Max! Let's go Max!

*suggestions, polite or otherwise, that i need to get a life should be pm'd please*

TedTheewen
10-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Nobody likes a race where you know who is going to win. It's old.

onesecondglance
10-29-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm going to say congratulations to Seb. RBR and Newey's cars have given him opportunities, and he's gone out and made the absolute best of them. He's a great driver.

I don't disagree that it would be a more entertaining spectacle if there was more of a challenge. Really, since the mid-season break it's been Seb vs Seb. But I don't think that diminishes the scale of his achievement.

Now for something really controversial... Kelly, who's your favourite Marussia driver? Dashing Jules or Consistent Max? :D

wilchris
10-29-2013, 12:27 PM
I gotta admit, I really wanted Webber to win today. Not that I'm bored with Vettel winning or anything. Well, actually come to think of it, yeah, pretty boring. But there are good fights going on down the field.
Webber has had some really crap luck this season - that and the fact he can't start!

KellyAssauer
10-29-2013, 02:09 PM
who's your favourite Marussia driver? Dashing Jules or Consistent Max? :D

Give me a second here to hang up my Minardi Fan Club Jacket...

It's a very difficult choice.

Max Chilton has proven that he can finish, and that he can take care of his car - something a lot of F1 drivers never figure out. The question becomes one of whether or not his driving is just too cautious or is it the car that's consistency slow?

Jules Bianchi, on the other hand, has been pretty consistent in out qualifying and finishing ahead of Max (when he finishes) and occasionally ahead of arch rival Caterham. This means to me that the kid has been able to finish higher than the car should have - another excellent quality in a driver (ala Nico Hulkenberg).

If I were Marussia? I'd probably do what I could to keep Max.
(which they have not done yet) Jules is going to get other offers, but Max has saved the team a ton of money.
Being a race car driver is taking a risk... but the more you drive, the more you learn when to tale those risks. I'm leaning towards Max (and btw, Max isn't difficult at all to look at.) I hope he gets a ride. =)

onesecondglance
10-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I'm actually warming to Max as the season goes on. I was very much caught up in the Bianchi whirlwind at the start, but Max's consistency is really impressing me.

KellyAssauer
11-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Congratulations Alexander Rossi (http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/02/alexander-rossi-claims-maiden-gp2-victory-in-abu-dhabi/)!

Woohoo!

About dang time!

DreamWeaver
11-03-2013, 08:11 PM
The shot of Kimi getting in his SUV was priceless. Now I know what a $15 million hissy fit looks like. I'll never get to throw one myself, so I may as well enjoy someone else's. :D

KellyAssauer
11-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Oh, I so agree!
But then again, why stick around if you're not being paid?

Max Chilton now holds the record for most consecutive finishes by a rookie! (ala Lanterne Rouge perhaps, but record holder non the less!)

:)

DreamWeaver
11-03-2013, 08:36 PM
But then again, why stick around if you're not being paid? Very true ;).

Max Chilton now holds the record for most consecutive finishes by a rookie! (ala Lanterne Rouge perhaps, but record holder non the less!)
:)It's like in the Tour de France--the Lanterne Rouge could kick any of our butts on his worst day. :D

onesecondglance
11-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Jaw-dropping driving from Seb yesterday. I know it's not the most entertaining spectacle, but he's performing miracles in that car. I keep half expecting to see him hovering a few inches off the ground (although not so much as would compromise the aerodynamics...)

KellyAssauer
11-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Oh Sao Paulo...
what mixed emotions you have given me.
The skating rink, the one that got away, the miracle that didn't...
The tear in the corner of my eye for both Massa and Rubens.
The fun of it. The last chance to show their stuff,
to prove their worthy.

It's *almost* as much fun as Melbourne...

I hate to see it,
love to see it.

Wishing the best.

KellyAssauer
11-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Well.

That's it.

Remember to tune in next year when the Red Bull Renault Racing Exhibition will visit Russia!

and watch for Mark Webber in 2014's 24 Houres de Le Mans!
(this time he won't be in the easy-flip Mercedes)

*btw: Fabulous job Max! 19 rookie finishes! Bravo!*

TedTheewen
11-24-2013, 09:57 PM
This season of The Sebastian Vettel & Friends Show was pretty good, if not quiet.

More quiet than last season, I guess.

KellyAssauer
11-24-2013, 10:16 PM
btw: Don't believe everything you hear on TV...

Mark Webber is not the first. I was just informed that Gerhart Berger removed his helmet in the cool down lap of the 1989 Portuguese Grand Prix (was fined 15k for doing so). Ha!

Still a great photo op! ;)

onesecondglance
11-25-2013, 03:24 AM
Great race. Very entertaining.

Really looking forward to next year. All the reg changes could make for some exciting racing. What's clear is that in the current era, RBR have worked out exactly what they need to do to win championship after championship. So a healthy shake up of the rules seems like just what we need.

TedTheewen
11-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Webber certainly showed a lot of grace and class despite all the bad luck and other nonsense he had to deal with.

KellyAssauer
11-25-2013, 04:21 AM
Next year will be fun! V6 engines, which opens the gates to a lot of other manufacturers - a very good thing in my mind, even if Ferrari might struggle to make such a wee thing. =) Just think of all the companies that might jump in!

And, don't forget the Formula E begins next year as well!
All electric cars! A grand idea! I lurve this.

onesecondglance
11-25-2013, 01:37 PM
I love the idea of Formula E. Totally going to try and get to at least one race.

TedTheewen
11-25-2013, 10:16 PM
At least at that race you won't need ear plugs.

KellyAssauer
12-02-2013, 11:51 PM
I'm furious.

Codemasters released the F1 2013 videogame on October 8th...
Unless you live in the US or Canada...

Where it's still not available.
If they don't release it, I can't give it as a present.

TedTheewen
12-03-2013, 08:44 AM
I once saw a pic somebody made of a Cadillac F1 car in hopes the US fields a team at some point. I hope not...it would be too embarrassing.

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/2926/car1na.jpg

Perks
12-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Oh no. You guys hear about Schumi?

Michael Schumacher, the most successful driver in Formula 1 history, is in critical condition after suffering severe head trauma in a skiing accident in the French Alps on Sunday, hospital officials said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/29/sport/motorsport/michael-schumacher-skiing-f1-motorsport/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

DreamWeaver
12-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Damn. Off to look for more news. Hope he gets through this okay...

onesecondglance
12-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Heard about this yesterday. Really hope he pulls through.

KellyAssauer
12-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Last I heard he was still in an induced coma but out of surgery. (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/michael-schumacher-still-in-critical-condition/)

*keeps fingers crossed*

TedTheewen
12-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Adrenaline can be dangerous to find.

onesecondglance
01-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Some more bad news - John Button has died at the age of 70.

:(

Perks
01-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Jenson's dad? I love that guy! That's so sad.

KellyAssauer
01-14-2014, 06:01 PM
The news came about John Button's death just as Ferrari were to announce Shumi's improved condition in the hospital. Lost in all of this was the very last seat being filled for 2014 as Max Chilton was finally retained at Marussia.

Good news, bad news, indifferent news...
and prayers to Jenson's family.

KellyAssauer
01-28-2014, 09:08 PM
If you don't know by now...

Changes to the '2014' F1 rules has allowed each team's car designer a certain amount of new found freedom when it comes to the front nose clip. The days of the somewhat standard 'platypus' are gone.

Excitement over the wild variations in nose designs has been a huge buzz over the last week.

You can catch a glimpse of this anticipation in the faces of Sergio Perez, Nico Hulkenberg, and reserve driver Daniel Juncadella standing in eagerly in front of the recently revealed 2014 Force India 'VJM07' (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/IMG_3662-886x590.jpg)

The car (thankfully) doesn't appear at all excited...

onesecondglance
01-28-2014, 09:20 PM
They are UGLY cars this year...