Nuclear science help

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
The narrower question:

At what range could a Geiger counter (or other survey instrument) register the beta radiation from an atomic battery fueled by strontium-90?

The wider question:

I'm looking for a way to use "atomic batteries as power sources" as a plot device in a scifi story. I'd like the protagonists either to be able to detect them or to depower them somehow (scifi solutions are fine, as long as they are science fictionally plausible!). My first thought was to try to come up with some way of science-fictionally decreasing the isotope half-lives so the power sources would decay away in a matter of minutes. But from my research, the science didn't seem to agree with me being able to do that, even fictionally (if anyone knows of some way that would be halfway plausible, please let me know!). So then I thought, well, what about detecting them? Originally my power sources were all plutonium-238, but the alpha radiation wouldn't be detectable at all (right?). So I thought, what if I switched to strontium-90, which (I think) is used as a power source for atomic batteries but has beta decay instead? And whether the strontium-90 fuel would be detectable at any sort of range is where I'm stuck right now. My research suggests it may depend on the energy of the beta emission, and I can't find specifics for strontium-90.

Feel free to comment on any or all of this or to tell me this isn't going to work as a plot point. I don't know any more than the very very basics of nuclear science so I'm feeling a bit far afield here; it would just work *so nicely* for the story if I can make this work . . .

Apologies if I'm showing appalling levels of ignorance, and thanks in advance!

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
A Geiger counter or other device for counting scintillations would register a particle where there was one. There are Beta particles going everywhere. It isn't a matter of simply detecting them but the matter of detecting many particles, which would indicate that a source of radioactivity was nearby. If your batteries are well shielded, then they would not release many particles into the environment where they could be detected. If the shielding is not good, then they would be easy to detect.

You might see if your fictional scientists could add subatomic particles to atoms such that they would become unstable isotopes that would have short half lives. Those isotopes could be made in an ordinary nuclear reactor and separated from the other atoms using chemical reactions. This is the current procedure for making materials for medical radiation treatments. I am oversimplifying, but the reactor adds the protons or neutrons and the chemical reactions separate the desired end products form the ones that are not wanted.

slhuang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Thank you SO SO much! That actually cleared up a lot of what I was confused about from my research, and you gave me a new direction to explore, too. SO much appreciated!

Repping you! :D

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you SO SO much! That actually cleared up a lot of what I was confused about from my research, and you gave me a new direction to explore, too. SO much appreciated!

Repping you! :D

I'm glad that I could help, but I think that something that would store energy in a more readily usable form would be better. There are lots of steps involved in getting useful energy from unstable nuclei. For example, storing anti-matter in a magnetic field in a vacuum such that you could squirt a stream of gas at it when you needed energy, and the resulting burst of x-rays would be absorbed by the walls of the chamber and bled off as electricity. There are a couple of sticking points, but it will work as long as you don't waste words describing it.

slhuang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Thanks for the suggestions! But I actually need a tiny, mobile power source that will last a long time, which is why I thought of atomic batteries (I could be way off base with that, though!).

Basically, the way the plot is going right now, my protagonists need to locate and destroy a multitude of devices hidden around a large area, and I'm looking for a way for them to be able to do that. In the current draft the devices run off atomic batteries, as that's what seemed to make sense, so I thought I might be able to use that somehow for the detection process . . . (sorry, probably should have given that background in the OP!).

BDSEmpire

Kindly Bumpkin
Registered
Reaction score
Our deep space probes all run off atomic batteries. Strictly speaking they are Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators. They build up heat through atomic decay which is converted to electricity. Your OP's could detect the low-level radiation from one of the cells or the warm glow of one at work (thermal vision would pick them out).

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
At what range could a Geiger counter (or other survey instrument) register the beta radiation from an atomic battery fueled by strontium-90?

Beta-radiation, which is high-energy electrons, can be shielded by relatively thin metal. Chances are the power source would be housed in a metal container which would pretty much contain the radiation.

I'm looking for a way to use "atomic batteries as power sources" as a plot device in a scifi story.

The new Mars rover Curiosity is nuclear-powered (in contrast to the solar-powered Spirit and Opportunity), so it is independent of Martian temperature conditions. This kind of power-plant is today's technology, not the stuff of SF speculation.

My first thought was to try to come up with some way of science-fictionally decreasing the isotope half-lives so the power sources would decay away in a matter of minutes. But from my research, the science didn't seem to agree with me being able to do that, even fictionally (if anyone knows of some way that would be halfway plausible, please let me know!).

Your science is correct. Radioactive decay rates are among the most fixed of physical constants. We know of no way, short of annihilation of the atomic nuclei in a big reactor, to alter these constants.

So then I thought, well, what about detecting them? Originally my power sources were all plutonium-238, but the alpha radiation wouldn't be detectable at all (right?).

Probably correct. Alpha particles, which consist of two protons and two neutrons (essentially a helium-4 nucleus) can be blocked by a sheet of paper.

But remember that decay of heavy radioactive isotopes like Pu-238 is a multi-step process, commonly involving generations of daughter isotopes that may emit beta particles as well as alpha particles, and gamma-rays as well. The latter are much more difficult to shield.

So I thought, what if I switched to strontium-90, which (I think) is used as a power source for atomic batteries but has beta decay instead? And whether the strontium-90 fuel would be detectable at any sort of range is where I'm stuck right now. My research suggests it may depend on the energy of the beta emission, and I can't find specifics for strontium-90.

Actually, your research is highly admirable, and your questions sharp and germane. You might be surprised how many questions this forum gets that don't fall into those categories.

Apologies if I'm showing appalling levels of ignorance, and thanks in advance!

You have an appalling level of intelligence, and require complete vilification for that.

Beyond that, for the writing of SF, you might be overthinking the tech. The element handwavium (Hw in the Periodic Table) is highly useful.

caw

(Just for background, I'm a Ph.D. geologist, teaching introductory Physical Geology at the local university, and in that class I discuss radiometric decay and radiometric dating in some detail. I started post-high-school academic life as a physics major, until I discovered my hatred of math classes.)

slhuang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Your OP's could detect the low-level radiation from one of the cells or the warm glow of one at work (thermal vision would pick them out).

Thank you, BDSEmpire! Would you mind elaborating on how such detection of the radiation might work? That would be exactly what I'm looking for . . .

Beta-radiation, which is high-energy electrons, can be shielded by relatively thin metal.

Okay, good to know. Thank you! (That was pretty much what I thought when I started out, but then some of my research felt like it muddied the matter and I started doubting everything I thought I knew . . .)

The new Mars rover Curiosity is nuclear-powered (in contrast to the solar-powered Spirit and Opportunity), so it is independent of Martian temperature conditions. This kind of power-plant is today's technology, not the stuff of SF speculation.
Yes, I know. :) The nuclear power sources aren't supposed to be scifi concepts themselves; they're embedded in a setting/plot that has other scifi elements (it's near-future). I only mentioned it was scifi because scifi *solutions* are welcome. Sorry for not being clearer!

Your science is correct. Radioactive decay rates are among the most fixed of physical constants. We know of no way, short of annihilation of the atomic nuclei in a big reactor, to alter these constants.
Glad to know my science was right, though I admit I was hoping it was wrong, heh.

But remember that decay of heavy radioactive isotopes like Pu-238 is a multi-step process, commonly involving generations of daughter isotopes that may emit beta particles as well as alpha particles, and gamma-rays as well. The latter are much more difficult to shield.
I didn't know Pu-238 emits other types of radiation in its further generations of decay -- I will definitely look into that! Thank you!

Actually, your research is highly admirable, and your questions sharp and germane. You might be surprised how many questions this forum gets that don't fall into those categories.
::blushes:: Thanks! I always do try to do as much research as I can before asking, until I find myself going in circles. It just feels polite. :)

(I do have a secret though in that I have a heavy hard science and math background, just nothing in nuclear science. So it's *slightly* familiar territory to be trying to learn.)

Beyond that, for the writing of SF, you might be overthinking the tech. The element handwavium (Hw in the Periodic Table) is highly useful.
Heh! I'm attempting to ram myself into the brick wall of hard scifi. But I take your point and will consider it! ;)

Thank you so much, blacbird; you have been eminently helpful and I REALLY appreciate your time and expertise!!

BDSEmpire

Kindly Bumpkin
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, BDSEmpire! Would you mind elaborating on how such detection of the radiation might work? That would be exactly what I'm looking for . . .

A Geiger counter will start plinking away above background levels the closer you get to the radioactive source. It will click or chirp depending on what model you have. The faster the clicks/chirps, the more radioactive particles the detector encounters. Here is an overview: http://www.gammageigercounter.com/blogs/articles/6221820-how-does-a-geiger-counter-work

With that in mind, the range of detection is kind of a tricky problem. A thermoelectric battery is going to be reasonably well-shielded so that it doesn't irradiate the user. That means you won't detect much of anything from it unless you put the Geiger counter right on top of one. On the other hand the unit will *glow* in infrared light like crazy because it's going to be much hotter than the surrounding environment. There's a lot of waste heat involved with generating electricity. You can read about Russian terrestrial RTG's here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator#Terrestrial

Notice how inefficient they are for making electricity out of heat.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Firstly, just about anything is "science fictionally plausible" - what you might want is "scientifically plausible."
The technology has been around for a while - Pioneer 10 was launched in 1972:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_10#Power_and_communications

Was there any protest over launching Curiosity? I recall in previous decades there were protests over launching spacecraft containing nuclear substances, over the possibility of a failed launch bringing it back to Earth and busting open, causing radiation leakage.
A Geiger counter will start plinking away above background levels the closer you get to the radioactive source. It will click or chirp depending on what model you have. The faster the clicks/chirps, the more radioactive particles the detector encounters. Here is an overview: http://www.gammageigercounter.com/blogs/articles/6221820-how-does-a-geiger-counter-work

With that in mind, the range of detection is kind of a tricky problem. A thermoelectric battery is going to be reasonably well-shielded so that it doesn't irradiate the user. That means you won't detect much of anything from it unless you put the Geiger counter right on top of one. On the other hand the unit will *glow* in infrared light like crazy because it's going to be much hotter than the surrounding environment. There's a lot of waste heat involved with generating electricity. You can read about Russian terrestrial RTG's here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator#Terrestrial

Notice how inefficient they are for making electricity out of heat.
Yes, detecting the heat produced will probably be the best way to detect it.

calling33

Registered
Reaction score
I know you might already have your answer but my scientist husband suggested looking up the system the Mars rover Curiosity is using. It's based on a highly radioactive plutonium isotope.

slhuang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Thanks for the continued information, everyone! I've been researching like a fiend on what you all gave me. :D

(And calling33, more input ALWAYS definitely welcome! I'm still struggling with how I'm going to go with this so every new post gives me a little more of an angle.)

Really appreciate all the answers! I've been away from home the past few days and am checking AW on my phone, but everyone's getting rep points when I'm back on a computer. This has been so incredibly helpful. Really, thank you so much!!