Art Instruction Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberwraith

Mumbling darkly
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is sort of "not of this forum" but I'm hoping someone here has art skills and experience to be able to answer this question:

Does anyone have experience with the Art Instruction Schools? I am interested in trying them out, but not just now. However, I'm finding that the mere expression of interest has garnered me more pressure than I wanted. I don't want to judge the whole program by just one lady who can't seem to take "not right now" for an answer!

Any AW members familiar with their program, etc? Thanks for any input on this!

Last edited:

Atomic Bear

the Bruin of Tomorrow™
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicbearpress.com
The art instruction school is the one advertised on TV where you have to draw the pirate or dog? I feel like it is a scam.

Can you give us some more info what your looking for, and maybe folks can make some suggestions. There are lots of options.

Some links about AIS them that might help:

http://www.creativepro.com/talkbackreview/feature/23605.html

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff13768.htm

http://www.bullz-eye.com/strauss/2003/112101.htm

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-152266.html

http://worf.usshurdman.com/~stpaul/commonreport.html?bid=2484

Last edited:

cyberwraith

Mumbling darkly
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that's the one! Thanks Atomic Bear, I read the posts you referenced and my mind is made up. The sales lady was very aggressive which was clue #1 but those posts pushed them over the top into the AVOID bucket.

What I'm looking for is a structured but self-paced art program (full-time job, single mom) where I come out at the end competent at drawing and painting. Weirdly, I've done sculpture (reductive, adductive, metal) and design at the BFA level but not much in the way of pencil or paint (just the basic requirements). My goal is to illustrate children's books and I'd like to stop being afraid of color. Watching my kids go through their public high school art program (a really good one I'll admit) I felt like what I needed was the structure and the long-term goals of such a curriculum.

Anyhoo, if you have any suggestions on how to proceed, I'd be grateful. My favs are Beatrix Potter, Chris Van Allsburg, Helen Oxenbury, Arnold Lobel, Zelinski, etc.

And thanks again for the head's up!!!:)

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
What's available in your community college? You could go to a fun class two nights a week and pick up a lot. There are scholarships available for single moms.

I've always wondered if Disney offers art instruction and what that would be like.

Good luck
Paint

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Atomic Bear said:
Never fear color. Color is your friend.
Okay. If you say so.

But I still want to experiment with it before actually using it for anything I do. I'm sure I can find a good book out there that gives a decent intro to working with color.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
tiny terror said:
Look into Color Theory. Though, I find it odd someone with a BFA hasn't taken gobs of color theory. I have a BFA in ceramics and prints. We studied color even in the 3d side of the arts.
Unfortunately, I don't have a BFA so no gobs of color theory for me.

But I will look into books on the subject and try out stuff.

Atomic Bear

the Bruin of Tomorrow™
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicbearpress.com
The nice thing is that Color theory can be found in most artist disciplines: stage, movies, animation, computer, painting, etc. A lot of it is finding a place to start.

The easiest way it to steal color themes and then play with them till you get something you like.

I remember looking at the work of French cartoonist Mobius and all of his color work used contrasting complimentary colors. Purple and Yellow, Orange and Blue, Red and Green. It's a great way to start. So I tried it and they still look great together.

Like most art, all the color used in your images help tells the story. So start with what you want to get across to your audience. In BTGC #2 I did a red/green combo. I wanted it to be mysterious and exciting. The red on the shield/face is striking and helps contrast with the color/light colors of Victor in front.
btgc2cover.jpg

ACE you got my email at APE, give me a write. Happy to help if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.