PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping pills + drowning = help?

Kyla Laufreyson
02-06-2013, 03:36 AM
All right, I'm stepping out of my normal genre (which is fantasy) and trying my hand at a murder story. This girl lives with her older brother and he's a killer himself, so she decides to kill him when she gets sick of hearing him torture people (might have been vaguely inspired by a Criminal Minds episode, but only kind of), but she's not strong so she can't do it in any strength-requiring way. Plus she doesn't want it to be painful for him (she kind of loves him still).

My plan is to have her give him a strong sleeping pill and then convince him he should take a bath so he'll drown in his sleep. I'm just wondering if a person would wake up? Like is the body going to go, "Hey, there's something wrong here, water in the lungs, be conscious now!"?

Or would he sleep through all of it like she needs him to? If not I'll have to find some other way for her to kill him.

King Neptune
02-06-2013, 03:42 AM
If it is just a sleeping pill, then the person probably would cough and wake up. A reasonably strong sedative probably would eliminate that problem. You could just up the dose to a handful of pills, instead of just one.

Kyla Laufreyson
02-06-2013, 04:02 AM
I can definitely up the dose. I was planning something prescription-strength but I haven't had time to look into specifics quite yet, so I don't know what's out there.

JoNightshade
02-06-2013, 04:19 AM
I'd probably give him a sleeping pill, get him in the tub, and then dose him with something stronger once he was there, to prevent waking up.

thebloodfiend
02-06-2013, 04:21 AM
Solution: Asks him to take a bath. Makes him a special tea, food, whatever.

Oxycotin, if you're not used to opioids and you're given enough mg, will knock you out. They call it the nod. They're also small. They also depress the respiratory cavity, which is why (due to opioid nausea) some heroin addicts are known to die choking on their own vomit.

Don't ask how I know this.

Plains Pen
02-06-2013, 04:47 AM
Alcohol and sedatives combine to an extremely potent depressant effect. If he would take a beer from her, it could easily be laced with enough sleepers so that he would drown. In fact he could just plain die from the drugs if there was enough. Is she worried about an autopsy? All of these substances would show up in his blood stream.

A few sleep medicines that would do this include ambien, restoril, and xanax.

Wilde_at_heart
02-06-2013, 05:11 AM
Is she trying to make it look like an accidental death?

She could always give him sleeping pills so that he passes out in bed, then have her inject him with something fatal.

Kyla Laufreyson
02-06-2013, 07:36 AM
She's not worried about making it look accidental; the plan is for her to basically join forces with one of his victims and make it look like that person is responsible, since that would be more justifiable.

@Plains Pen: Are those ones prescription only? Like I mentioned before, I really haven't had the time to look into medications yet. How much would it take to kill him with just the drugs, to not involve the drowning? Would that be particularly painful?

I just wanted to upvote all of you for your help and then remembered I am on AW, not Reddit...

frimble3
02-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Google 'The Brides in the Bath' murders, a real-life English murderer, George Smith, who drowned three women. The police couldn't figure out why there were no signs of struggle, until they experimented and found out that if the victim was pushed under the water, the victim braced and fought back, but that if the killer grabbed the victim's feet and gave a brisk yank, the victim's head was under water and they didn't have time, or leverage, to fight. Nearly killed one of the women they tested the theory on. :)
This might be an option: if she drugs him enough to make him relaxed and groggy, then finishes him off fast, just in case the drugs don't do the trick. Or, if she's worried it'll take to long? Maybe she doesn't want him to suffer, or take the chance that she'll change her mind.

shaldna
02-06-2013, 05:12 PM
My plan is to have her give him a strong sleeping pill and then convince him he should take a bath so he'll drown in his sleep.

Okay, several problems with this. Most sleeping pills arent' designed to keep you asleep - they are designed to help you get over to sleep as this is where the majority of insomniacs have issues - getting the brain to shut off. You shouldn't have too much trouble waking up again.

Secondly, getting your hands on sleeping tablets is harder than you'd think. There are some over the counter ones but you might as well be eating smarties.

To get perscription ones - especially strong ones - takes a doctor and a lot of time - they are understandably reluctant to hand them out straight away. And when you do get them you will get a small doseage at a time - unless you have a long and documented history of sleep problems you are most likely going to be given advice on good night time routines and relaxation and told to come back in a fortnight if things dont' improve.

I'm just wondering if a person would wake up? Like is the body going to go, "Hey, there's something wrong here, water in the lungs, be conscious now!"?

It depends. But I know that I always hear my alarm and the phone and my daughter etc.

melindamusil
02-06-2013, 11:50 PM
To get perscription ones - especially strong ones - takes a doctor and a lot of time - they are understandably reluctant to hand them out straight away. And when you do get them you will get a small doseage at a time - unless you have a long and documented history of sleep problems you are most likely going to be given advice on good night time routines and relaxation and told to come back in a fortnight if things dont' improve.

The opoids (oxycontin, hydrocodone, etc.) are also hard to get. (At least legally - I know it's available on the street.)

BUT could it be possible that your character has some leftover from a previous surgery or other medical encounter? When I had my wisdom teeth removed, the doctor handed me a prescription for a painkiller with codeine (don't remember which one, but I know it was in that drug family) to take "as needed". I had enough to last maybe a week or two at the maximum recommended dose, but I really only needed them for one or two days.

I also remember, when I was in college, I had a really really bad case of bronchitis and the doctor prescribed a cough medicine that had codeine in it (again, "as needed"). I used them for a few days but had quite a bit leftover.

Perhaps your character had some painkillers prescribed after a minor surgery and still has enough leftover to do in her brother...

Sarpedon
02-07-2013, 12:07 AM
There are a variety of ways to encourage someone to remain in the bath. apparently the classic method is simply to grab the person's ankles and pull up, causing the head to go underwater. Virtually impossible to escape, and leaves no marks.

Kyla Laufreyson
02-07-2013, 12:15 AM
BUT could it be possible that your character has some leftover from a previous surgery or other medical encounter?
I was definitely considering this option.

thebloodfiend
02-07-2013, 12:29 AM
I was definitely considering this option.

Also. Benzos and opioids (or opioids and alcohol) are a recipe for disaster.

King Neptune
02-07-2013, 02:08 AM
There are a variety of ways to encourage someone to remain in the bath. apparently the classic method is simply to grab the person's ankles and pull up, causing the head to go underwater. Virtually impossible to escape, and leaves no marks.

Thanks, I'll remember that.