PDA

View Full Version : Agent question

The Otter
02-05-2013, 01:41 AM
So, an agent has expressed an interest in my manuscript. (Whee!) She read the full and said she likes it a lot, but she thinks it needs some revisions before sending it out, so she asked if I'd be willing to work with her on editing it. To which I responded, yes, absolutely.

I still have one full out with another agency. (I mentioned this to the agent when she requested my manuscript.) My question is...at this point, do I email the other agent and tell them that I've found representation? A willingness to work on editing the book with me seems like a commitment on their part...on the other hand, there's no contract yet, so nothing's official, and they could still conceivably change their mind.

I should mention that, from everything I've read, this is a legit and reputable agency. Definitely someone I'd like to work with.

Any thoughts?

Corinne Duyvis
02-05-2013, 02:45 AM
If it's unclear from your conversations, you can just directly ask the agent whether it's an offer or an R&R. That's something you absolutely should get cleared up beforehand.

Congrats, and good luck!

triceretops
02-05-2013, 02:48 AM
Yeah, but the offer might be contingent upon the rewrite. Some agents have that policy, while others will offer rep upon the agreement of a rewrite.

It IS best to ask first.

tri

waylander
02-05-2013, 02:49 AM
If you have not formally been offered representation then there is no compelling reason to contact the other agent.

The Otter
02-05-2013, 05:59 AM
Yeah, but the offer might be contingent upon the rewrite. Some agents have that policy, while others will offer rep upon the agreement of a rewrite.

It IS best to ask first.

tri

I think that's the case; they said they'd get back to me in two weeks with more detailed editing input, so I think they want to see if the edits are something I'll be able/willing to do before they make a formal offer.

I'll probably wait until then (since that's not too long) before contacting the other agent or trying to finalize anything.

Thanks to all who replied. :)

Old Hack
02-05-2013, 11:22 PM
It sounds to me as though the agent who has made editing suggestions hasn't offered you representation yet.

Until they do, you have nothing to tell the other agent(s).