So what's your take on conjuring, channeling, lighting candles

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
Many people believe in the muse, affirmations, words of wisdom, amulets, good luck charms. Taking it a bit further, do you believe spirits of those who you knew or Angels or gods, goddesses, can be summoned at your request? Do you believe this is separate from religion?

Mods - I have no idea where this should go.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. Sorry I missed it before it was deleted. I'm trying to divine the original question now.

Yes. Yes, candles. Candles do well, lit under the light of a waning gibbous moon. The Valley of the Jackals is very far from where I am, so I try to use the fireplace instead.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Candles are fine things. All the drama and nice smell of fire, but with the civilized pleasantry of staying confined to a small area of wick. And the fragrances they impregnate the wax with!

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure I believe in the muse really. It's just a convenient word that represents 'that thing that drives you to write' aka the voices in my head.

Do not believe in any of the other stuff, no. And I don't see how you can separate angels, gods or goddesses from religion.

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
I just think that if I died and then my future relatives tried to summon me like 100 years later for some reason I'd just be like NOPE NOPE NOPE, I'm not leaving my paradise and 72 virgins to answer pointless questions for you! Either that or I'd just poltergeist them just to be a troll.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Taking it a bit further, do you believe spirits of those who you knew or Angels or gods, goddesses, can be summoned at your request?
No.
Do you believe this is separate from religion?
Depends on the religion. For most Christians I've talked to, that kind of stuff is TEH EVULEST THING EVUR. As in, they won't even touch Ouija boards. Yet, other Christians I've talked to believe you can talk to your ancestors and pray to God to send them to your dreams.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
For most Christians I've talked to, that kind of stuff is TEH EVULEST THING EVUR. As in, they won't even touch Ouija boards.

Which is curious, given what happens in Samuel with the Witch of Endor and all.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited by butterfly; Today at 12:56 AM. Reason: resurrection

Spooky that this thread was resurrected to ask about - well - resurrection. Freaks me out. *shudder*

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Many people believe in the muse, affirmations, words of wisdom, amulets, good luck charms. Taking it a bit further, do you believe spirits of those who you knew or Angels or gods, goddesses, can be summoned at your request? Do you believe this is separate from religion?

Mods - I have no idea where this should go.

Thanks for resurrecting this - I thought it would be an interesting subject to discuss but without your OP I had no idea where to take it :(

My own belief (I post in a few New Agey-type forums) is that by doing such 'magic' you are communicating with the unconscious or irrational or non-verbal part of the psyche.

Basically, we have our rational, logical, verbally-dominant brain, but then sometimes another part takes over our emotions, is responsible for our self-sabotaging, or creating negativity around us etc.

Even when we know what we're doing to ourselves, we keep on because that rational side of the brain can't communicate to the 'irrational' side. You need non-verbal symbols to do that.

From my own experience, these rituals and so on are the means to communicate to that side of the psyche. I've found it works.

As for summoning Angels, my understanding is that's largely 'be careful what you wish for'. But again, if you are concentrating your mind towards something, it has ways of manifesting, just not in a way you might really want it to.

KateJJ

coffee and pistols at dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Which is curious, given what happens in Samuel with the Witch of Endor and all.

From context, the Witch of Endor did not seem to be expecting to get an actual Samuel ghost to show up. Also, it was kind of a bad thing for good ol' King Saul. Moral of story seems to be: if you summon ghosts, they might come, and that is not going to make your day more pleasant.

I used to anthropomorphize my muse. Then I realized I was blaming her for my own laziness and quit. So, er, I guess I exorcized her?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I believe you can summon the Outer Gods and their minions, but if you catch them on a bad tentacle day, watch out.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
It's too early in the morning to think! :D

Many people believe in the muse, affirmations, words of wisdom, amulets, good luck charms.

Love all those things.

Taking it a bit further, do you believe spirits of those who you knew or Angels or gods, goddesses, can be summoned at your request? Do you believe this is separate from religion?

I think it's very risky to dabble in the occult because you never know what you're going to get.

Writelock

Tribal Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
Though Lovecraft was a fiction writer, a bit of his advice holds true, " Don't call up, what you can't send back down." That being said, as today's generation probably has trouble even watching a single show without flipping channels during commercials, texting, and surfing the net, I am not overly worried about anyone dabbling in the occult.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
My muses show up from 8 to 4, just like me. Sometimes we wake up in the middle of the night and sketch, or scribble notes. We've had 30 years to reach accommodation.

I am a skeptic when it comes to most supernatural stuff, and I'm not certain that anyone can put another person/place/event under outside control by mere force of will. But I understand that I can do little things to change my perceptions. Whether they are cognitive therapy or 'spells', I don't know. I employ them sparingly, because I've found myself over-reliant on other coping or procrastination methods before.

Whatever they are, they're private and meaningless to anyone else.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like candles - handmade, beeswax. I don't blame them when I screw my plottage up, though. And they don't get the credit when it works, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.