PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Voice Loss - removal?

rlayna
02-04-2013, 04:42 AM
I am looking for a way for my MC to permanently lose her voice. Fantasy story. She needs to survive.

I was thinking tongue removal. I just can't seem to find how it was done, esp with crude implements...

Maybe another way, chemical type burns, so sort of fuel?

W/ it being fantasy i mean magic is a go to, but ehhhh if it was a easy as that, well I wouldn't have a story......

thothguard51
02-04-2013, 05:01 AM
Tongue removal, use a crude pair of tongs, hold onto the tongue and then slice as much of it as they can. It will bleed a lot but mouth wounds tend to heal quickly.

Or,

Crush the larnex, but you also take a chance of crushing the wind pipe and killing the person.

As noted, if magic is in use in your world, you can always cast a spell or something that does not require more than a brief explanation.

King Neptune
02-04-2013, 05:01 AM
Removal of the tongue was a traditional method for removing voices, but it is a violent method. Do you want her to be silent or unable to speak? Those are very different. Serious damage to the larynx could make some almost silent, while removal of the tongue would make the person largely unable to speak.

rlayna
02-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Removal of the tongue was a traditional method for removing voices, but it is a violent method. Do you want her to be silent or unable to speak? Those are very different. Serious damage to the larynx could make some almost silent, while removal of the tongue would make the person largely unable to speak.

Not sure, what you mean...

She's a Speaker. Speaks to creatures to wake them. Only a handful know the language.

She is being hunted for knowing the language and her captor, in an act of mercy, takes her voice instead of killing her.

So...unable to talk, make sound.

akpeach
02-04-2013, 05:37 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is an Avox from the Hunger Games. They remove their tongues so that they can't speak. But I don't remember if they can still make sounds. I'm pretty sure they can, though.

You don't actually need your tongue to make sounds from your voicebox, but you would need it to form words, of course. So I think that's what King Neptune meant with the difference between unable to speak and unable to make sound.

So if she just needs to lose her ability to speak this secretive language, then a tongue removal would do the job. And mouth wounds look really bad because it looks like the bleeding is much worse due to saliva mixing with it. But it's not usually not as bad as it looks. Should heal up fine.

Siri Kirpal
02-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I have permanent damage to my larnyx due to long-term "silent" acid reflux. But I can speak; I just can't sing much and I used to be a singer.

Since this is for fantasy, could you postulate some sort of acid that would attack only the vocal cords?

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

ULTRAGOTHA
02-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Do you need her to be silent? In which case you need to do something to the vocal chords or larynx.

Cutting out a tongue will not render a person silent. Only unintelligible.