• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Draft2Digital

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
https://www.draft2digital.com/

I learned about this new outfit from comments made here. I was having some Smashwords problems--a combination of my glitch and their unresponsiveness--so I signed up for Draft2Digital to get my titles onto the iBookStore.

Smooth and fast. It took less than half an hour to get the JFK novel published and less than an hour to solve a technical epub problem with the help of Kris, the CEO.

Recommended.

oakbark

Registered
Reaction score
I'll second that. I recently registered without any problems and was fairly impressed with their prompt handling of my w8ben (I live in EU so for tax treaty purposes). Took less than a day, all cleared.

Very quick and hassle-free communication, draft2digital gets my thumbs up too!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Housemate used them and she glitched their system because she had Win 8 & Word 13. It took them all of 3 days to patch their system and her to get the book up. She dealt with the same responsive, courteous person throughout the entire process--and the woman emailed a "Congrats! It's up!" as soon as it was cleared.

We're very impressed with it on all fronts.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Alas, they say it may take up to 10 weeks for Apple to approve my work for the iBookstore. Sigh. I'm looking forward to being as happy with D2D as everyone else ... in about December. :tongue

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They told us it could take 10 weeks too--but it only took 10 or so days for us to get in there.

I think they tell you 10 weeks just in case things go really bad. But Apple is the hardest to get onto, FWIW.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I think they tell you 10 weeks just in case things go really bad. But Apple is the hardest to get onto, FWIW.

I waited 7+ weeks at Smashwords and still couldn't get into the iBookstore. Then gave up in exasperation and tried D2D. 4 weeks later, still nothing happening. I might just be cursed - I emailed D2D and they told me the wait was normal, so it seems like there's nothing anyone can do. :(

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've used them for some time (3+ years) and am very satisfied with the service and distribution. Costs are commensurate with similar offerings/services. It's really up to individual authors to ascertain if it's for them. Sorry if this seems vague; but since everyone's circumstances are different, it really is an individual decision that only the author can make.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Draft 2 Digital is probably the best and easiest aggregrator around. Most authors love them. I am direct with the bigger retailers (meaning I upload there myself) except for Apple in which I use D2D. I also use D2D for all the little retailers and subscription services like Scribid. They also distribute to libraries like Overdrive and now Baker and Taylor. I recommend if you can, go direct with what you can only so you will get more money. D2D takes a cut. As I said, they are a good service but if I had a Mac I'd be direct with Apple as well.

A big plus about D2D is their customer service and file conversion is easy and you can use the file anywhere. D2D is great if you don't want the hassle of going direct but unfortunately, you won't be eligible for a lot of promotions retailers offer if you aren't direct with them.

For example, to run promotions at Kobo, Barnes and Noble, and Google Play, you gotta be direct. For Apple you can ask D2D for promo codes and you can promote that way.

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I don't think there's been any news because they continue to be very good at their job. I've never heard anything negative about them; while I don't use them as an aggregator (I'd rather go direct to publishers), I do use their universal link service.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
There was a recent issue with Barnes & Noble saying something about deferring royalties to D2D writers for some reason. D2D was prepared to take out a loan to make sure their writers got paid. That's pretty awesome customer service in my mind.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
There was a recent issue with Barnes & Noble saying something about deferring royalties to D2D writers for some reason. D2D was prepared to take out a loan to make sure their writers got paid. That's pretty awesome customer service in my mind.

Yep. Fortunately B&N then "found an error" and the whole thing seems to be resolved now.

I've been self-publishing for 2 years. I upload to Amazon and Kobo directly and use D2D for everything else, and I've been happy with it.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
A few questions about D2D...

1) When I upload my book cover art, does it need to be one whole picture or can I upload the spine, back, and front as separate pieces in the same picture? ( I have the covers and the spine in a word document right now. The spine is on the first page, the front cover on the second and the back cover on the third).

2) When I upload my book can I use their services on my book like their typesetting or is it automatically sent to stores?

I might think of more questions later...

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
A few questions about D2D...

1) When I upload my book cover art, does it need to be one whole picture or can I upload the spine, back, and front as separate pieces in the same picture? ( I have the covers and the spine in a word document right now. The spine is on the first page, the front cover on the second and the back cover on the third).

2) When I upload my book can I use their services on my book like their typesetting or is it automatically sent to stores?

I might think of more questions later...

It sounds like you're using D2D for print books? Are you doing e-books too? (Is question 2 meant for print books or e-books?) I just use it for e-books. AFAIK, D2D print is in beta. https://www.draft2digital.com/faq/

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
It sounds like you're using D2D for print books? Are you doing e-books too? (Is question 2 meant for print books or e-books?) I just use it for e-books. AFAIK, D2D print is in beta. https://www.draft2digital.com/faq/

Oh. I thought it was out of the beta stage...if not I'll have to find another way to get my book in print.

Anyways, I am doing e-books and print.

EDIT: The second question was for print and ebooks.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Oh. I thought it was out of the beta stage...if not I'll have to find another way to get my book in print.

Anyways, I am doing e-books and print.

EDIT: The second question was for print and ebooks.

I really don't know anything about print through D2D and haven't heard of anyone using it...that's just what I pulled up from a quick search. I use IngramSpark and get someone to format for me beforehand in Vellum.

For e-books:
I upload my Word docx. Then you go to a layout page and get some layout/chapter header options, so you can make sure it's got your chapter headings right, etc. Then there's a preview page with a small number of style options. You can download mobi, epub, and pdf to check. There aren't tons of options, but some.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I really don't know anything about print through D2D and haven't heard of anyone using it...that's just what I pulled up from a quick search. I use IngramSpark and get someone to format for me beforehand in Vellum.

For e-books:
I upload my Word docx. Then you go to a layout page and get some layout/chapter header options, so you can make sure it's got your chapter headings right, etc. Then there's a preview page with a small number of style options. You can download mobi, epub, and pdf to check. There aren't tons of options, but some.

So I can upload my word document and it won't go into stores until I say so, correct?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
So I can upload my word document and it won't go into stores until I say so, correct?

Correct. On the preview page you have to check this box: "I have reviewed this manuscript and approve it for release for distribution to any sales channels I select."

And then you will be taken to another page to select pricing and sales channels.

The interface is quite clear, IMHO.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
btw, if you or anyone else on AW wants a copy of the Word file I input to D2D (plus final mobi/epub/pdf), you can msg me or give me a rep point with your e-mail address and I can send you a modified docx (with all front and back matter, but only 2-3 chapters, not the whole book). It picks up the chapter headings, title page, copyright page, etc the way I want them.

(D2D is at times a little frustrating because it doesn't allow a ton of options, but it makes a decent basic e-book, IMHO.)