PDA

View Full Version : Request on an option

Mike_Gasaway
01-31-2013, 12:57 AM
I have a potential very odd dilemma and I'm not sure how to proceed. Long story short. I've been in the entertainment field for a while and have been approached by an individual who owns an animation company who is interested in optioning my book - a book that isn't published yet.

I'm in the middle of querying agents. Should I include that in the query? Is it a positive or a negative?

Like I said, odd...

Old Hack
01-31-2013, 01:48 AM
How does the person interested in buying the option know about your book, and what it's about?

As options are often sold for very little it's not necessarily a big plus point, but if the person who has expressed an interest is of some repute, it couldn't hurt to mention this in your query.

Toothpaste
01-31-2013, 02:01 AM
It could be an incentive to an agent if the animation company is well known and could get a publisher therefore more interested in the book. But the thing I'd also advise is it might be worth waiting until you have the agent. I've had my agent deal with several options, and there are certain things that some development companies won't offer you that are considered pretty standard for option contracts. Agents can help make sure you get everything you need to protect you, and the money you deserve for your work (not so much with the option itself, as Old Hack said the money for an option isn't that much usually, but subsequent monies CAN be).