Question about Panaderia

HatTrick

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. Does anyone know if a panaderia is be a bakery with breads, cakes, pastries, etc. or if I there is a more appropriate Spanish word? If this is the kind of thing that varies by country, I am specifically looking for the use in Guatemala. Thank you!

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. Does anyone know if a panaderia is be a bakery with breads, cakes, pastries, etc. or if I there is a more appropriate Spanish word? If this is the kind of thing that varies by country, I am specifically looking for the use in Guatemala. Thank you!

Pan refers to bread. If you're looking for a sweet shop specifically, it would be La bollería or pastelería. But in my South American experiences, a panadería could have sweets as well as savory treats, like empanadas. If it was just for pastries, in Peru it would be called bollería.

Ashurita

Registered
Reaction score
Website
grumpyangel.net
I don't know in Guatemala, but in Argentina Panaderias usually have a lot of things baked/flour-related (bread, sweets, pastries, 'homemade' cookies -as opposed to the packaged market goods, I mean-, cakes, etc. some even have sandwiches and pizza bases). If that's useful to you in any way?

HatTrick

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both. It looks like it is going to vary by country. The bakery in my story is more like the Argentina Panaderia, but I'm not sure how similar that culture is to Guatemalan. I'll keep looking!