PDA

View Full Version : Requests for Future Work

PenTeller
01-30-2013, 09:51 PM
I have a few agents that requested future work after reading a ms of mine a few years ago. How do I go about approaching them again? Do I mention it in the first paragraph of my query for a (hopeful) auto-forwarding out of the slush pile? Do I send a pre-query (ha, yeah, I know)?

Don't worry, Query Hellions, just preparing myself! I know I'm not ready yet. Just want to know ahead of time. :)

Filigree
01-30-2013, 09:58 PM
I wouldn't send a pre-query unless you know the agent. But you should definitely mention the request in your query, even if it's been a couple of years. It won't forward you out of the slush pile, but it may give your query a second look.

Fantasmac
01-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Definitely don't pre-query. In the first paragraph where you'd normally personalize with why you're querying this agent, say something like "I submitted my previous novel, x, to you y years ago, and you expressed interest in seeing my future work", choppy but you get the idea. It probably won't mean an auto-forward out of the slush but it'll definitely help.

waylander
01-31-2013, 12:56 AM
What they said.
In my experience, agents mean it when they say they'd be interested in seeing future work. Of course that work has to stand on its own merits, but it means they've seen something in your writing that looks promising.