Lipograms

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's another game to test our linguistic skills. According to Wikipedia: "A lipogram (from Ancient Greek: λειπογράμματος, leipográmmatos, "leaving out a letter") is a kind of constrained writing or word game consisting of writing paragraphs or longer works in which a particular letter or group of letters is avoided—usually a common vowel, and frequently "E", the most common letter in the English language."

So let's find out if we are true wordsmiths or just hacks ;)

I'll posit these rules for the game:

1. Your lipogram can omit any letter of the alphabet. "E" or "S" are commonly chosen, because they are hard to do, but feel free to omit any letter you choose.

2. Your lipogram may be of any length or style. I have chosen a rhymed couplet for the first one, but you don't need to follow my example. A simple sentence will do.

So let us begin--in this case, omitting the letter "E."

I don't know why that big canyon is thought of as "grand"
But if I walk through all of it, I might start to understand.

Last edited:

iLion

Why do I say these things?
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsQ9hYKq7c
Okay... so the first entry here after Nyms will be wise-acre iLion. Naturally, I have to give it some sort of twist if there is any way to do that. In this case, my twist has to do with the letter I've chosen to not use here.. in this very paragraph.

Omitting the letter 'X'. :)

Last edited:

iLion

Registered
Reaction score
(Ok, ok ... let me redeem myself a little here.)

Mike looked over at his cell mate. "No way! uh uh! There is NO way we'll ever be able to dig our way through that wall, and out 25 feet, with a stupid damn spoon, you dumb ass!"
"Yes! There IS a way! I have it, Mike! I found it! I found the way this can work! Just listen to me ok? Just listen and hear what I'm tellin' you. Don't say a word till I'm done, ok? You are gonna crap in your pants when I tell you how this works, man!!"

Omitting the letter 'Z'. (and with sincere apologies to Nymtoc. It's just the goofy mood I'm in!)

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Omitting the letter "I"

A well-known member of the games forum would do well to behave as a gentleman here and not try to bamboozle others, lest he lose the name and avatar he loves, and be known, henceforth, as zLzon.

iLion

Registered
Reaction score
Now that was a very good sentence, Nym! You omitted the letter 'i' entirely, which clearly I have not. So, rather than an 'i', I've chosen a new, and perhaps more difficult letter (more difficult than my previous shenanigans, at least) to avoid. Look as you might, you shan't find an instance of my choice. The previous sentences, and this one as well, are my entry.

Omitting the letter 'B'. :)

iLion

Registered
Reaction score
(Maybe we should make entries follow the alphabet in sequence. Just a thought. Might be harder to do if we 'force' the entry to omit a particular letter. )

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Maybe we should make entries follow the alphabet in sequence. Just a thought. Might be harder to do if we 'force' the entry to omit a particular letter. )

An excellent idea, maned one. Let's try that. I hereby decree that the next entry must omit the letter "A," and we will proceed through the alphabet that way. (This method will help us avoid shenanigans on the part of certain irresponsible members. ;))

Next?

iLion

Registered
Reaction score
NO A

I once met two girls in the showers,
Who thought I should grow them sweet flowers.
I thought for short while,
Then sent them my smile,
Hoping to see no more glowers.

(Hey.... doesn't have to make a lot of sense, right?)

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
She flits and darts, stops
hovering briefly she sips
gathering nectar

No B in bee

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
NO C

I know a restaurant where you stand in line and get your food, dish by dish, from a long display. They have all kinds of things--meat and fish and fowl, and all kinds of vegetables and fruit and also plenty of bread and rolls and a variety of desserts. There's a name for this kind of restaurant, but I am prevented from using it in this post.

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
No D

When I was young, I ran to school, always curious why it was necessary to always be in a rush to get there. It finally became apparent to me that my planning was at fault. Once I began getting up a few minutes earlier, I was able to make the trip in a more leisurely fashion.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
NO E

Well, E is the hardest of all letters to eliminate, but since I started this game, I'll give it a try--long form:

Making his way up a path along a cliff, Ivan Lyubov thought of ways to accomplish his goal without suspicion falling upon him. A major difficulty was how to find a way into Babushkin Hall inconspicuously. His shabby clothing would bring only a slight frown or two downstairs, and asking to work for scraps of food should not alarm cooks or maids unduly. But finding his way at last into Babushkin Hall would allow him to climb a circular stairway to Count Marinsky's rooms, and with Marinsky dozing, nobody could stop Ivan Lyubov from stabbing His Royal Idiocy with Nicholas Romanov's gold scimitar, thus bringing a final, triumphant blow to a man who had wrought so many travails upon his own land. But with Marinsky a bloody carcass, finding his way out of Babushkin Hall would confront Ivan Lyubov with an array of dismal options, among which was figuring out how to avoid a ghastly act of rancor wrought upon him by Marinsky's dastardly cousin Boris Ilyanovitch Moronsky.*

*Don't look for any of this in the history books.

Last edited:

flyingtart

Warning: may contain humour.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have preferred no Q, but:No F

He wanted to sail to Jamaica
And dally a while with a baker
Oph rich spicy cakes
The sort no one makes
Except that old tart, what a phaker!

Last edited:

iLion

Registered
Reaction score
NO G

She was a the nicest dream I'd seen since... forever. I was mesmerized. I was a famished man at a banquet, and prime rib was served. I let my eyes feast a while. Then... she said her name was Betty Boop.

"Betty Boop?", I asked incredulously. "Come on... your name can't be Betty Boop! That's a cartoon name."

"Well, it is Betty Boop, and I don't need no wisecracks from the likes of you about it neither!"

I could see she was sullen now. Did I just do that to her with my response to her name? Well, she must hear that ten time a day with a name like that!

"Okay, okay... don't start with the rivers now, know what I mean? You have to be calm and collected, so we can talk about this crime we stumbled on, ya know?"

iLion

Registered
Reaction score
No H

So... you're calling it an accident? Are you actually telling me it was an accident? You took aim and fired a gun directly into a guy's face... and you claim it to be accidental! Well, you'll struggle a long time to get a jury to agree, Sam. Could you at least consider adding more details to your story to make it look like an accident?

JoBird

Banned
Reaction score
NO I

Very confused here. The start post has an E in understand. Post number 9 has a B. The F a few posts above was already mentioned. What's up? Me not sure me get the rules.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
NO I

Very confused here. The start post has an E in understand. Post number 9 has a B. The F a few posts above was already mentioned. What's up? Me not sure me get the rules.

NO J

The rules is the rules. We slipped up is all, because we not perfect.

This one's easy, since the above letter doesn't appear in a lot of words, so I could go on endlessly without the need to use that letter, saying incredibly boring things as I am doing now, but I think I'll cut this one short, because nobody's reading it, and WTF.

JoBird

Banned
Reaction score
NO J

The rules is the rules. We slipped up is all, because we not perfect.

This one's easy, since the above letter doesn't appear in a lot of words, so I could go on endlessly without the need to use that letter, saying incredibly boring things as I am doing now, but I think I'll cut this one short, because nobody's reading it, and WTF.

NO K

Ah, now I get it. Than-- uhm, thanx!

jack lee

Registered
Reaction score
maybe it is better to avoid using z. this one is rarely used. but any letter already in English can not be avoided totally. unless you talk in another language.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No L.

I needed a new game, been very bored with the same same same. Nothing previous made my boredom vanish, quite. But now, now, there's a chance for me to end that tedious misery.