Fuel prices: How much do you pay vs the rest of the world?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Australia doesn't use fuel. Apparently.

It's an "other" country

Fuel prices: How much do you pay vs (some of) the rest of the world?

Fixed it for ya ;)

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
On the low side of the middle here, which sounds about right. I live on the outskirts of a city which means gas is expensive, but I have a small car that doesn't cost outrageous amounts to fill.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I receive these figures every month for my job and know that the UK is quite high up the table when it comes to fuel prices. But the Netherlands pay an average of £1.52 a litre for unleaded. Compare that to the States, where they pay 55p a litre.

Which is why I always roll my eyes when I hear Americans complaining about the price of gas.......

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
It's around the £1.30-£1.40 a litre here. I'm too lazy to convert that into Euros. But it's way expensive I'm guessing to the rest of the world.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I receive these figures every month for my job and know that the UK is quite high up the table when it comes to fuel prices. But the Netherlands pay an average of £1.52 a litre for unleaded. Compare that to the States, where they pay 55p a litre.

Which is why I always roll my eyes when I hear Americans complaining about the price of gas.......

One of the big reasons we complain is because very few places in the U.S. have decent public transportation and we have to commute long distances to get to work. Also, since America grew up as an automobile-centric society, it's not easy to walk or bike most places. Until recently, I was driving over 60 miles a day to and from work. I spent about $80 every five days, or $480 per month, in gas. My husband still commutes 30 miles per day and spends about $300 per month in gas. That's a huge chunk of many household budgets.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Denmark, Germany, Finland, France, Ireland, and Portugal pay between 1.30 and 1.40.

Greece, Italy, Norway, and Sweden pay over that.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
That's a huge chunk of many household budgets.

True, but considering you pay a third of what the rest of us pay, surely you can understand the eye-rolling when you're bitching about it. A lot of people in other countries commute as well. Maybe not as far, but it's still a huge whack out of a wage. So expecting sympathy from someone paying £1.30 to your 55p is asking a lot.......

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
Living in Texas and driving a small car really pays off. In the past 5 months,I haven't paid more than 3.20a gallon to as low as 3.00 a gallon. Since I work not far from my home I only spend maybe 60 a month on gas.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
One of the big reasons we complain is because very few places in the U.S. have decent public transportation and we have to commute long distances to get to work.

I think bad public transport is a problem in a lot of the world -- terrible public transport is definitely is up in Northern Scotland, where overpriced buses run maybe every 1 or 2 hours between the nearest city and it's closest commuter town (30 mins drive by car, 1hour 30 by bus). And you're counting on the bus showing up, on time, and not breaking down halfway there.

I've almost lost jobs because the public transport is unreliable and I can't afford to drive. :(

I know the US is a completely different ballpark when it comes to distance between locations, but I still have trouble sympathising. ;)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are an awful lot of hefty commutes in Australia, but we have a decent rail system. A 90 minute commute by train was not uncommon at all where I grew up - but the trains were good.

There was a lot of reading done, as I remember ;)

Briony-zisaya

Punctuation and I don't get along
Registered
Reaction score
Living in Texas and driving a small car really pays off. In the past 5 months,I haven't paid more than 3.20a gallon to as low as 3.00 a gallon. Since I work not far from my home I only spend maybe 60 a month on gas.

Same pricing here, only exception is that hubby works about 40 miles from home so we spend a bit more on gas than we'd like. It's much better down here than it was when we were in Michigan, so we don't complain. :)

SelmaW

Registered
Reaction score
True, but considering you pay a third of what the rest of us pay, surely you can understand the eye-rolling when you're bitching about it. A lot of people in other countries commute as well. Maybe not as far, but it's still a huge whack out of a wage. So expecting sympathy from someone paying £1.30 to your 55p is asking a lot.......

But what could we use for small talk if we didn't have gas prices to b*tch about? :tongue

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But what could we use for small talk if we didn't have gas prices to b*tch about? :tongue

I get a lot of mileage out of the Oxford Comma.

(Also litfic vs genre.)

:ROFL:

Last edited:

SelmaW

Registered
Reaction score
Our snow is worse than your snow. So is our wind and rain. Plus you keep spelling 'colour' wrong. :e2tongue:

Yeah well... well... we have a really big hole that we haven't bothered to fill in yet!

images

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
To fill your tank you pay: $40.89

You pay $3.22 less than average in your region

Without tax, you would only pay $36.38
Most expensive

In Netherlands you would pay $73.49 more
Cheapest

In Venezuela you would pay $39.58 less
Looks like my fuel tank is around 18 gallons according to the site. To fill my tank I usually pay around $40. I was able to get $2.17 per gallon because I drove about 8 miles to the next town where a friend showed me that gas is generally cheaper than most places.

$2.17 is €1.6
I did a gallon conversion it looks like 18 gallons = 68.14 Litres
$39.06 =€28.82 to fill my tank
€28.82/68.14L = €0.4/Litre if my calculations are correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm showing 1 L = 0.264 gal and 1 gal = 3.785 L

Err...I think I paid $3.17 per gallon...but the bbc site said 18 gallons for a civic? does that sound about right?

Fuel tank capacity (U.S. gal.)13.2 now I'm really confused lol

13.2 gal = 49.97 Litres (L)
3.17$/gal = €2.34
13.2 gal * 3.17 = $41.844 to fill tank
$41.84 = €30.87 to fill tank

€30.87/49.97L = €0.62/L

That sounds better

Last edited:

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind you bitching, just don't expect me not to eye-roll!

LOL!

Oh, whew! I thought you didn't want me to bitch, which, you know...probably isn't gonna happen. ;)

We're paying about $3.39 per gallon here right now. Not sure what that works out to when translated to liters and pounds. I've travelled a lot, so I know we do pay much cheaper prices for many things, gas included. Though it goes up significantly during hurricane season, especially if we have a storm churning off the coast.

And I gotta say, I was super impressed when I visited London and rode around on the tube. Even with it's faults, those of you over there should be proud - you've built an impressive system.

ebbrown

Easily Amused
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ebbrown.net
Lately it costs about $68 to fill the tank of my Jeep Wrangler, every 5-6 days. But I 4x4 a lot, so I could probably do a little better.:Shrug: