Horrible work-speak

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Words and phrases I've recently heard used at work without any sense of irony (or shame):

"Learn" as a noun - "one of the big learns from this project".

"Lens" used as a synonym for "layer" (it's already in common use as a synonym for perspective, which is annoying in its own way) - "there are lots of lenses to this project".

"We need to create energy" (not sure they've heard of conservation of energy).

What are your favourite / most sphincter-tighteningly awful examples of work-speak?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
"at the end of the day" except they're never actually referring to the end of a day
"diarize" meaning to put in one's diary as a reminder
"get smart" as in "we need to get smart about ..."
"synergy" cannot be created by one entity
"real time"... as opposed to artificial time? or imaginary time?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I have a bitter hatred of acronyms. If someone comes it to do a presentation and goes over four acronyms, I tune out.

Lens instead of layers makes me cringe.

Hm, now let's think of some ones from my own environment... "out of scope" instead of out of support, "triage" and "triage agents" for schedulers/scheduling team.

"Actioned" as in 'I've actioned this request' instead of 'I've done this' is used a lot and very clunky. "Centre of Competence" is also a weird phrase.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Using 'lens' instead of 'layers' makes absolutely no sense. How on earth did that happen?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I have a bitter hatred of acronyms. If someone comes it to do a presentation and goes over four acronyms, I tune out.
I recently found a new acronym in one of our manuals that hadn't been defined.

VAWU.

For context, I work in science education. Has anyone got a guess as to what VAWU means? Anyone? :Shrug:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
The only VAWU I can come up with is a tad rude...
Yeah, I can think of all kinds of hilarious, quasi-obscene ways to use VAWU in a sentence.

But none of them fit the, ah, rather dry tone of this particular manual.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
All I can think is is "Vista Automatic Windows Update" which I think is just my mind trying to tie it into IT.

Not even Googling 'VAWU acronym' helps me. I'm out of ideas! (Though lol, this thread is already result number 3 for that search.)

We had a 'SWAT Team' pop up recently. Took me a while to figure out what that one meant in an IT/incident handling scenario. I kept imagining the guys with assault rifles and riot shields.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Around here we've been talking about "swim lanes" and "road maps" for planning purposes. Apparently a road map is made up of multiple swim lanes.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Around here we've been talking about "swim lanes" and "road maps" for planning purposes. Apparently a road map is made up of multiple swim lanes.

Interesting. Our process maps have swim lanes, but they're not roads.

We have a "runway" instead. Projects on the runway are, somewhat perversely, "in flight", until they've "landed". I keep thinking that these people have clearly never been to an airport.

Deleted member 42

Stake holders
Collaterals

I can't go on . . . it's too painful.

Jargon can be useful, but mostly, it's annoying.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Left hand: "I'm buying flour!"
Right hand: "I'm buying eggs!"
Both: "Hey, why don't we make some cakes?"

Synergy is pretty much used as a synonym for "working together".

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I got sent a 'swim lane' document this morning. Thanks to this thread, I was prepared. :)

We also call swim lanes 'decision trees' a lot. I much prefer just calling them flow charts.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. Our process maps have swim lanes, but they're not roads.

We have a "runway" instead. Projects on the runway are, somewhat perversely, "in flight", until they've "landed". I keep thinking that these people have clearly never been to an airport.
I wonder if anyone has considered that "swim lanes" don't actually go anywhere. They just continually cover the same ground. Which, come to think of it, makes it a pretty good metaphor.

Write_Askew

Registered
Reaction score
My boss is always saying "What I would share with you..."

Sometimes that's a precursor to interesting office information. Sometimes she uses it when she wants you to listen to her. Either way, it makes me nuts. Especially when she says it after answering a question. Of course you're sharing, I asked you to!

EMaree- I'm with you on the acronyms. I work at a university right now, and the acronym for the office I am in is 9 letters long without the school's department name attached to it. And somehow, everyone still uses it like it is completely normal. I love listening to the receptionist try to get it all out and not sound silly. Otherwise, I try not to make direct reference to the office name, to save myself the trouble.

And our new buzzword is "incubator" which always makes me think of baby chickens, and has nothing to do with the program...

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
My boss is always saying "What I would share with you..."

Sometimes that's a precursor to interesting office information. Sometimes she uses it when she wants you to listen to her. Either way, it makes me nuts. Especially when she says it after answering a question. Of course you're sharing, I asked you to!

Heh. I'm reminded of an old manager, who would always start his conversations with "I need some help with [such and such], and let me tell you for why..."

It's one of those phrases that most people would never string together, and could never use without sounding ridiculous, but he used it well.