PDA

View Full Version : Post a picture of your notebook!

OtterFactory
01-29-2013, 07:24 PM
I keep a writing/commonplace notebook where I write quotations, plot ideas, etc., and I love seeing others' notebooks; so I thought I'd start a thread.

Post a picture! Or just discuss notebooks--what kind you prefer, pens, etc. I'd post a picture of mine, but can't at the moment 'cause I'm at work.

Susan Littlefield
01-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Otter,

My notebook is my computer. I can also makes notes in my phone notepad. I'm sorry I'm such a party pooper, but when I write in a notebook I can't read my own writing! :)

Jamesaritchie
01-29-2013, 08:02 PM
I don't keep notes, story ideas, etc, anywhere except in my head. I do keep a paper journal/sketchbook. Does that count?

Beachgirl
01-29-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm a party pooper, too. My computer is my notepad or, if I'm out and about, my iPhone or Kindle Fire notepad. I use an excel spreadsheet for plot bunnies, character descriptions, and settings, as well as to track my current wips and word counts.

I write way too much to do it by hand. My hand would be frozen into a permanent claw if I tried.

Filigree
01-29-2013, 08:26 PM
My 'notebook' is a ginormous hard drive, three or four college-ruled paper blank books and notepads for different current projects, and eight or nine large plastic bins filled with paper notes, maps, sketches, newspaper and magazine articles, dot-matrix print-outs of old mms, rejection letters, and the other detritus of writing for nearly 26 years. It's not that exciting to look at, believe me.

Aggy B.
01-29-2013, 08:43 PM
I have an actual notebook. It has hard covers and an elastic bit to keep it from sprawling open. And it's got pale pink pages, which I hate. BUT that's kept me from falling prey to the "Oh, I'll ruin it if I write in it" syndrome that keeps the other notebooks sitting on my book shelf in pristine/unused condition.

I write outlines by hand, brainstorm, draft loglines and query letters, make lists of the projects I have in-progress, etc. I tend to lean more toward pantsing than strong outlining these days, but when I need to work out a plot arc, I do it by hand. Something about writing with a pen/pencil instead of typing unlocks a different part of my brain.

Jamesaritchie
01-29-2013, 11:03 PM
I write entire novels in longhand, but not in a notebook.

Layla Nahar
01-30-2013, 03:55 AM
the "Oh, I'll ruin it if I write in it" syndrome ...

Yeah - I know that.

For WIPs I use a 9.5"x6" 120 page college ruled notebook. For exercises I use blue-books - like the ones you used for exams.

SelmaW
01-30-2013, 04:09 AM
I used to have notebooks, but these days I use "Day One" when I'm at home and a Moleskine planner when I'm out. A Star Wars one, that says "Here's Where the Fun Begins", if anyone was interested in the details :tongue

elindsen
02-04-2013, 05:46 AM
I have a Disney princess one. Yes. Disney :)

Writelock
02-04-2013, 08:02 AM
My notebook is a black and white composition book that is filled with receipts, bits of paper, and brown paper bag discards stapled onto its pages. Invariably, my notebook isn't around when I need it and I write on whatever is handy.

Dorky
02-04-2013, 10:08 AM
I guess I'll be the first to post an actual picture! :)

I use OneNote almost exclusively :D
http://i.imgur.com/5XPE5lEl.png (http://imgur.com/5XPE5lE.png)

bearilou
02-04-2013, 05:40 PM
I guess I'll be the first to post an actual picture! :)

I use OneNote almost exclusively :D

I've finally given over to OneNote:

1) Wish I never had because now I'm obsessed, doing everything on it; and
2) So glad I discovered it. Wow, is it powerful for what I'm doing!

Dorky
02-04-2013, 06:27 PM
I've finally given over to OneNote:

1) Wish I never had because now I'm obsessed, doing everything on it; and
2) So glad I discovered it. Wow, is it powerful for what I'm doing!

Yup. It is basically a digital version of a notebook... but with all the extra bonuses that being digital gets you :D

I love the collapsible lists and stuff, as well as the wiki linking that they added in 2010. The fact that pages can have a hierarchy as well is awesome. Subsections within my sections!

bearilou
02-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Yup. It is basically a digital version of a notebook... but with all the extra bonuses that being digital gets you :D

AHYUP!

I love the collapsible lists and stuff, as well as the wiki linking that they added in 2010. The fact that pages can have a hierarchy as well is awesome. Subsections within my sections!

That was, ultimately, what sold me on using it. When I discovered (quite by accident because I was just goofing off with it and trying to find a way to dismiss using it) that bit of usefulness, I was hooked.

Shadow_Ferret
02-04-2013, 10:20 PM
I have several of the black composition notebooks that I get at back-to-school sales. I use those for anticipated novels. I have several small notebooks that I keep in every jacket I own. Plus I have a large spiral bound notebook that I use for short stories. This I always have in my messenger bag that I take to work.

Here's a couple pages from that.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/shadow_ferret/68fba1bf-2f7d-4341-8a59-4a1434a1bc0e.jpg

I love the collapsible lists and stuff, as well as the wiki linking that they added in 2010. The fact that pages can have a hierarchy as well is awesome. Subsections within my sections!O_o I have no idea what any of this means. How can notebook pages have a hierarchy? They're pages. One comes after another. Right?

bearilou
02-04-2013, 10:52 PM
O_o I have no idea what any of this means. How can notebook pages have a hierarchy? They're pages. One comes after another. Right?

It's similar to a nested file structure.

Or...

You have a Notebook. Think of it as a file folder.
In the Notebook you have sections, which are main pages. Think of those as loose sheets of paper.
Within the pages, you have sub-pages. Think of those like stapled addendum (addenda?) to the loose sheet of paper they belong with, keeping like sheets/information together.

You don't end up with word file folders within file folders and lots of different individual documents that have to be opened separately.

That's how I think of it, at any rate. It's just a different way to categorize and file. I never got into the making a ToC and linking the headings to it and having one huge ass long document of 'one page following another' in a word doc.

Visually, organization of different parts is easier for me using OneNote.

Adding a link. (http://i49.tinypic.com/23kxh5k.jpg)

Dorky
02-04-2013, 10:53 PM
O_o I have no idea what any of this means. How can notebook pages have a hierarchy? They're pages. One comes after another. Right?

Nope. Iíd show you a screenie but Iím at work right now, so a text based version will have to do :(

Hereís a quick version of the notebook you see open in my screenshot:

[Story E - radiant] (top level, notebook)

{Characters} (sections like info, characters, etc that appear in the tabs going horizontally across the top)

(pages start here; they go vertically in that green column in the screenshot)
- Snow Family (general info about family)
.....- William (info about the character named Will)
.....- Rebecca
- Hill Family
.....- Eve
.....- Elena
.....- Roger
etc.

You can create groups of pages within the section which causes them to look like the llist above. Then you can collapse for room or if you donít want to see them (so only the top page shows). You can also drag them to a different order, or send them to another section.

bearilou
02-04-2013, 11:06 PM
You can also drag them to a different order, or send them to another section.

This is my favorite part, being able to simply drag things around instead of having to copy then determine where you want it, then paste, etc.

/derail about personal notebooks

Shadow_Ferret
02-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Both of you just gave me a massive headache. I guess if it works for you it certainly doesn't matter if I understand it. :)
I never got into the making a ToC and linking the headings to it and having one huge ass long document of 'one page following another' in a word doc.

Hmm. Each manuscript ends up saved as just one file. And I have never made a TOC.

Dorky
02-04-2013, 11:22 PM
It's similar to a nested file structure.

Or...

You have a Notebook. Think of it as a file folder.
In the Notebook you have sections, which are main pages. Think of those as loose sheets of paper.
Within the pages, you have sub-pages. Think of those like stapled addendum (addenda?) to the loose sheet of paper they belong with, keeping like sheets/information together.

I think maybe the best way to imagine it is as a binder. The fact that you can easily reorder pages in a binder helps with the metaphor aa well.

So you have OneNote, which allows you to access all your notebooks (Binders).

Binder (onenote notebook)
Dividers (onenote sections)
Pages (onenote pages)

Now your pages are all loose leaf sheets of paper in the size of your choice. You put them behind whichever divider they belong behind.

These are notes for history class, so you let’s pretend you have a section where you’ve scrawled WARS on the divider. In there, there’s a page on, say, WWII and then more detailed pages on British/USA/French involvement in the war (we are going to pretend you fit all those details onto one page for each nation :)!)

Then you realize you want some of these pages to be visible as a group, so you take one of these page markers (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00006JNML) and stick it on the edge of the WWII pages. The other pages are left without a sticky note because they don’t need them.

Now your pages aren’t exactly in order, so you fix it. The page about WWII in general goes first, because that just makes sense, right? Then you move your pages about the USA, UK, and France behind it so that your notes have an order to them that makes sense. These are all marked in, uh, pink.

Then you do the same with the Vietnam war--only you mark it in yellow.

Now all the pages with a pink page marker are in one group and the ones marked yellow are another group, all of which is in the WARS section of your history binder.

...or something like that :)

ebbrown
02-04-2013, 11:36 PM
http://t.co/6MAeUwaI
I keep my mess organized with colorful tabs. :)

http://t.co/6MAeUwaI

Dorky
02-04-2013, 11:39 PM
This is my favorite part, being able to simply drag things around instead of having to copy then determine where you want it, then paste, etc.

/derail about personal notebooks

This isnít a derail at all, IMO :D From the OP:

Post a picture! Or just discuss notebooks--what kind you prefer, pens, etc.

Now if I said the piggy in your avatar is super cute, thatíd be a derail ;)

...But yeah. Allow me to join you in the whole gushing-over-onenote thing! I love that if I have my intuos plugged in, I can just pick up my pen and doodle on my pages, just like I used to in high school. It is so fun :D

bearilou
02-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Now if I said the piggy in your avatar is super cute, thatíd be a derail ;)

Not sure you can convince me cute piggies are a derail but I can go with it for now. :)

...But yeah. Allow me to join you in the whole gushing-over-onenote thing! I love that if I have my intuos plugged in, I can just pick up my pen and doodle on my pages, just like I used to in high school. It is so fun :D

I know, right? I just dug out a super ancient graphing tablet so I can do that, too!

Dorky
02-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Not sure you can convince me cute piggies are a derail but I can go with it for now. :)

I know, right? I just dug out a super ancient graphing tablet so I can do that, too!

I’ll assume you are drawing cute piggies ;) The pen/handwriting/drawing integration is nice for when text-based notes just don’t cut it.

I think the one thing OneNote really needs is a “password protect this notebook” option, since they only allow you to do sections. It only takes a few seconds to do each section individually, but still!

On the matter of physical notebooks, I loooove clairefontaine/rhodia/kokuyo paper, and I love to use my fountain pens/rollerbal gel pens/stupidly expensive mechanical pencils on them. I don’t write any story-related things on them though. I just use them to write letters :D Real notebooks just aren’t as useful to me now that I’ve been using onenote for so many years, but I still like to use them. After all, onenote can’t replicate the amazing feel of a smooth pen gliding over paper...

Myrealana
02-05-2013, 12:32 AM
http://photos-ak.sparkpeople.com/nw/1/4/l1400876962.jpg

I use one of these for each novel project, one for my daily journaling and one for brainstorming and short fiction.

ChristinaLayton
02-05-2013, 01:12 AM
I really don't know how to post pictures, but here's the link. I hope you can see the picture when you click.

http://s1339.beta.photobucket.com/user/christinaleelayton19/library/

cmi0616
02-05-2013, 03:34 AM
Don't really keep a notebook in the traditional sense. I write once a day in a journal on my word-processor, and ideas or lines that come to me throughout the day are scribbled down on napkins, loose paper, my phone or my hand.

OtterFactory
02-05-2013, 04:30 AM
This isn’t a derail at all, IMO :D From the OP:

Now if I said the piggy in your avatar is super cute, that’d be a derail ;)

Go wild with the One Note rapture; I've been thinking of migrating my stuff to ON from Evernote anyway!

I use both real notebooks and Evernote; both are equally messy, but I'm thinking ON will help me stay organized more.

ucf612
02-05-2013, 04:50 AM
I have a black and white composition notebook with a few NaNo stickers I won at various write-ins. They are neatly lined up on the front cover. I keep it beside my bed because I usually come up with my best "ah ha!" moments as I'm falling asleep. I have it divided up (still need to put some sticky tabs on it) for each of my novels. Then as I get an idea I just flip to that section and scrawl my note. I also have a running Word doc of ideas/notes for each novel that I add to if I'm on the computer when I have my epiphany. Maybe I should look into one of the computer based writing programs for organization.

thebloodfiend
02-07-2013, 12:38 AM
I have a digital one. I used to write everything down, but then I started accumulating a lot of paper and realized it was just easier to keep everything organized if it was on my computer. Now, my only problem is saving and keeping back-ups. It's basically a compelation of every random thought or note I've had for a story. Plus queries, first ten pages, etc... I find it easier to keep it here, instead of word documents because email screws up formatting. And I've never gotten the appeal of one note or evernote.
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x433/thebloodfiend/ScreenShot2013-02-06at13645PM_zpsedc4a822.png

TumbleHome
02-07-2013, 03:27 AM
The white one is my main man, but as it fills I've been slowly moving to the saucier one...

http://i.imgur.com/nMnS76w.jpg

JFitchett92
02-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Is it bad that at the moment my brain is my notebook? I've been planning my novel for years that the ideas have become permanently burnt into my mind :P

I am curious about OneNote though. I hate writing ideas because my handwriting sucks and I can't seem to organise anything :S OneNote seems pretty organised that not even I could screw it up!

RevanWright
02-08-2013, 02:27 AM
Which should I post? This is about half the stuff I've got for one book over 3 years...

http://i46.tinypic.com/ifn86v.jpg

flapperphilosopher
02-08-2013, 02:48 AM
My notebook for jotting things is black with an embossed Frank Lloyd Wright design... this one: http://www.shopwright.org/journal-march-balloons.html . I'm on my second of the same one, both bought in Oak Park, Chicago.

julie_a_w
02-08-2013, 10:45 PM
My current notebook is a plain red three subject spiral, college ruled. I have several cute fancy notebooks, but I can never bring myself to write in them.

bearilou
02-08-2013, 11:22 PM
My current notebook is a plain red three subject spiral, college ruled. I have several cute fancy notebooks, but I can never bring myself to write in them.

My brother bought me one that has wooden covers. It's beautiful and I just can't write in it.