PDA

View Full Version : Beta Reader(s), pleaseÖ.

SeeM0
01-27-2013, 07:06 AM
Hi All,
As youíll notice, Iím a newbie! Iíve spent the last hour roaming the boards and reading the FAQs. Thereís a wealth of information here thatíll keep me in lurker mode for a while. I love it! Before I get over to the other board and introduce myself, I wanted my first post to be in here.

Iím finishing up a YA paranormal/romance and would really like a Beta Reader. Iím willing to swap if your MS is YA paranormal/romance. Iíve been racking my brains, wondering if my MS is interesting enough. Thus, the search for a Beta Reader.

Hereís a little blurb of what Iím writing about:

Seventeen year old Abigail Channing wants nothing more than to enjoy her Junior year of high school. However, the normal world that she knows changes when glowing people starts appearing before her and the guy who hates her is suddenly everywhere she is. Confident Andrew Cote is a Guard, an angel tasked with watching over a part of the world and Abigail. To safeguard Abigailís safety, Andrew knows he should stay away from her, but finds it hard to do when a rival enters the scene.

Please, reply to this thread or PM me if youíre interested and Iíll email you the first two chapters. Thanks! Plus, Iíll really, really appreciate it and youíll probably stop me from pulling all my hair out.

~SM :)

Kerosene
01-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Ahem, have you read this thread? (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212171)

Beta reading is more for the story over the writing. If you'd like help with your writing, we have the SYW section for that. You need 50+ posts to put a thread up there.

And, as always, you should introduce yourself in the New Members forum and read the FAQs.

Regardless, welcome!

Raula
01-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Unfortunately, SeeMO, the forum isn't quite as welcoming of newbies as when I was in your shoes. As you can see, I have little over 100 posts to my count, yet I have been a browser, contributor and beta reader on this forum for over three years. So please do not let members put you off from asking for help. If you don't ask, you don't receive, in a writer's world.

Now... I will be happy to look at your first two chapters for you. I will give you constructive, confidence-building feedback and let you know if I want to continue reading it. I will also help you out with your plot overview if you wish.

Maryn
01-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Well, who doesn't enjoy a good slap in the face, Raula?

WillSauger linked to my post, and I believe we are both fully welcoming to new users--but having been "used and abused" by strangers asking for many hours of our labor while offering nothing, we are no longer as happily willing to give away that much time to a stranger.

If you are, peachy--but that's no cause to say we are not welcoming when we seek to educate new people about the way things most often work around here.

Maryn, off to the showers, literally

Raula
01-28-2013, 12:54 AM
Gah. I don't know. I always thought Beta reading is like giving back to society - it doesn't need to always come with a price tag.

Unimportant
01-28-2013, 12:54 AM
Hi All,
As youíll notice, Iím a newbie! Iíve spent the last hour roaming the boards and reading the FAQs. Thereís a wealth of information here thatíll keep me in lurker mode for a while. I love it! Before I get over to the other board and introduce myself, I wanted my first post to be in here.

Iím finishing up a YA paranormal/romance and would really like a Beta Reader. Iím willing to swap if your MS is YA paranormal/romance. Iíve been racking my brains, wondering if my MS is interesting enough. Thus, the search for a Beta Reader.

Hereís a little blurb of what Iím writing about:

Seventeen year old Abigail Channing wants nothing more than to enjoy her Junior year of high school. However, the normal world that she knows changes when glowing people starts appearing before her and the guy who hates her is suddenly everywhere she is. Confident Andrew Cote is a Guard, an angel tasked with watching over a part of the world and Abigail. To safeguard Abigailís safety, Andrew knows he should stay away from her, but finds it hard to do when a rival enters the scene.

Please, reply to this thread or PM me if youíre interested and Iíll email you the first two chapters. Thanks! Plus, Iíll really, really appreciate it and youíll probably stop me from pulling all my hair out.

~SM :)

Welcome to AW, SM!

AW has lots of ways to get feedback. Beta readers are one way, and it's terrific to get a few people to read the entire ms and comment on structure and big-picture stuff. Another way is to put your first few thousand words up in AW's critique workshop (Share Your Work), where readers in your genre can read it and comment on the prose, characters, setting, and overall appeal of the opening. Luckily for you, YA and fantasy are the two most active sections of Share Your Work!

Most people find that this is an excellent way to find beta readers, too -- readers who say 'I love this opening and would like to read more' are your target audience! And it lets you figure out whose critique style suits you, and whose doesn't. (Since, obviously, beta reader and author need to mesh.)

You do have to get your post count up to 50 to post your work in SYW, but that's easy to do. Especially if you critique other people's stuff in SYW! It's a great way to make friends and find out who else writes stuff in your genre. Lurking is great, but participating is lots of fun too, and authors always love feedback on their work. So jump in!

SeeM0
01-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately, SeeMO, the forum isn't quite as welcoming of newbies as when I was in your shoes. As you can see, I have little over 100 posts to my count, yet I have been a browser, contributor and beta reader on this forum for over three years. So please do not let members put you off from asking for help. If you don't ask, you don't receive, in a writer's world.

Now... I will be happy to look at your first two chapters for you. I will give you constructive, confidence-building feedback and let you know if I want to continue reading it. I will also help you out with your plot overview if you wish.

Awww...hello, and thank you. I wasn't put off by the post - well, not completely. LOL. If you could PM me your email, I'll be happy to send you the first two chapters. Any feedback I get will be welcomed. :)

SeeM0
01-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Well, who doesn't enjoy a good slap in the face, Raula?

WillSauger linked to my post, and I believe we are both fully welcoming to new users--but having been "used and abused" by strangers asking for many hours of our labor while offering nothing, we are no longer as happily willing to give away that much time to a stranger.

If you are, peachy--but that's no cause to say we are not welcoming when we seek to educate new people about the way things most often work around here.

Maryn, off to the showers, literally

Hi Maryn,
I understand. :) I did read the FAQs about the post count for the SYW forum. I just assumed that since I was looking for a beta reader, I didn't need to wait to reach the count stated. My mistake.

SeeM0
01-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Welcome to AW, SM!

AW has lots of ways to get feedback. Beta readers are one way, and it's terrific to get a few people to read the entire ms and comment on structure and big-picture stuff. Another way is to put your first few thousand words up in AW's critique workshop (Share Your Work), where readers in your genre can read it and comment on the prose, characters, setting, and overall appeal of the opening. Luckily for you, YA and fantasy are the two most active sections of Share Your Work!

Most people find that this is an excellent way to find beta readers, too -- readers who say 'I love this opening and would like to read more' are your target audience! And it lets you figure out whose critique style suits you, and whose doesn't. (Since, obviously, beta reader and author need to mesh.)

You do have to get your post count up to 50 to post your work in SYW, but that's easy to do. Especially if you critique other people's stuff in SYW! It's a great way to make friends and find out who else writes stuff in your genre. Lurking is great, but participating is lots of fun too, and authors always love feedback on their work. So jump in!

Hi Unimportant,
Thank you for the welcome. :) I'm still learning my way around the forum and hope to contribute as much as I can as I make my way around. The AW water cooler seems like a great place and I'm happy I stumbled upon it.

Maryn
01-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Hello again, SeeMO. I didn't make myself clear, seems like. There's no required number of posts before seeking a beta reader. If you want to, you can make that your very first post. And maybe someone will see it and offer, which is great.

But what may happen with more seasoned veterans is the moment they see your post count, they move on. Not because your work doesn't interest them or they're not helpful people, but because they've seen new arrivals mine AW's membership for their expertise, then disappear, never passing on the favor or helping others, never becoming a part of the community. Stick around and you'll see it over and over. I've seen it hundreds of times, literally.

While your intention might be to make this your home away from home, we don't know that about you yet, so many of us are leery of donating so much of our time and effort. But stick around, and we will feel like you're one of us.

Are you seeing your posts' font as really small? I have to enlarge it to read it. It's easy to edit it to be as large as AW's default font size. Click on Edit, then Go Advanced (if you don't get the font type and size selection right away), select all the text, and resize it. Take a look at it with preview to be sure it's big enough but not crazy large, and you should be good to go.

Maryn, actually nicer than she comes across at times

Sheluvspink
01-31-2013, 02:51 AM
Hi SeeMo,

I'm a newb as well LOL. I think your story is interesting and I'd be happy to swap as long as I don't have to edit for grammer...That's not my strongest point. I have a NA Romance that we could swap if interested. Mine is still a WIP though. PM if you're interested.

SeeM0
01-31-2013, 06:38 AM
Hello again, SeeMO. I didn't make myself clear, seems like. There's no required number of posts before seeking a beta reader. If you want to, you can make that your very first post. And maybe someone will see it and offer, which is great.

But what may happen with more seasoned veterans is the moment they see your post count, they move on. Not because your work doesn't interest them or they're not helpful people, but because they've seen new arrivals mine AW's membership for their expertise, then disappear, never passing on the favor or helping others, never becoming a part of the community. Stick around and you'll see it over and over. I've seen it hundreds of times, literally.

While your intention might be to make this your home away from home, we don't know that about you yet, so many of us are leery of donating so much of our time and effort. But stick around, and we will feel like you're one of us.

Are you seeing your posts' font as really small? I have to enlarge it to read it. It's easy to edit it to be as large as AW's default font size. Click on Edit, then Go Advanced (if you don't get the font type and size selection right away), select all the text, and resize it. Take a look at it with preview to be sure it's big enough but not crazy large, and you should be good to go.

Maryn, actually nicer than she comes across at times

Awwww....thanks for replying again Maryn. :) LOL.....there was an issue with my computer screen earlier and the text looked really big. I just saw how small it is now. I don't believe it's AW's default front size....just me.

Maryn
01-31-2013, 06:48 AM
Lookin' good now, SeeMO. Oh, and the text size seems fine, too.

Maryn, with a wink