PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award

tbrosz
01-14-2013, 05:04 AM
Just a reminder for those interested in this contest:

Entries open up at midnight, January 14, Eastern time. About four hours from now.

triceretops
01-16-2013, 06:26 AM
Well, I just entered this contest but might have goofed it in my submission.

When you go to your home page you can edit your information in the special fields. You have the following boxes: (and all of mine have green check marks)

1. About Your Book
2. Contact Info
3. Your Entry (pitch and I'm assuming the full manuscript download?)
4. About You

Now, my problem is my #1 and #3 are identical--I have the pitch at both places.

What in the heck is About Your Book? I missed that definition somehow. I thought it was just pitch, excerpt and full?

Gak, I'm really getting old...

Tigerlilly79
01-16-2013, 08:24 AM

When you go to your home page you can edit your information in the special fields. You have the following boxes: (and all of mine have green check marks)

1. About Your Book
2. Contact Info
4. About You

What in the heck is About Your Book? I missed that definition somehow. I thought it was just pitch, excerpt and full?

I entered yesterday and wondered the same thingg. I looked on the message board for the ABNA and they were saying the About Your Book isn't a big deal. Some people put their pitch there also, but ultimately it would be like the blurb on the back of your book, how you would get readers to pick it up. With the pitch you kind of give more away. It's more like a query aimed at agents/publishers.

triceretops
01-16-2013, 08:41 AM
I entered yesterday and wondered the same thingg. I looked on the message board for the ABNA and they were saying the About Your Book isn't a big deal. Some people put their pitch there also, but ultimately it would be like the blurb on the back of your book, how you would get readers to pick it up. With the pitch you kind of give more away. It's more like a query aimed at agents/publishers.

Okay, I see what you're saying. Maybe I'll go in there and make it a long tag line--back book blurb or something. I'm glad I didn't do something freakish. I screwed myself on the Harper Voyager deal already.

I wonder how many other people noticed that?

tbrosz
01-16-2013, 08:49 AM

1. About Your Book
2. Contact Info
4. About You

A lot of people use some version of their official pitch for the book description. I did.

triceretops
01-16-2013, 09:09 PM
A lot of people use some version of their official pitch for the book description. I did.

Yeah, I'm thinking about something like an extended tag line or something--a high concept description of about two sentences.

From what I'm seeing now, this confused a lot of people.

lastlittlebird
01-17-2013, 12:03 AM
I used the pitch, but now that I think about it my pitch does give away a bit too much for a blurb, so I think I'll give it a tweak.
I was just so paranoid that the contest was going to close before I got my entry in, I rushed a lot of the details.

Saanen
01-17-2013, 04:20 AM
I used my pitch in both places too. I'm not expecting to make the first cut so I'm not fretting too much about the rest of the stuff. :)

Marika
01-17-2013, 05:18 PM
I entered this year and last year (I was a Quarter-finalist last year). I used basically the same thing in both places though I did include two extra sentences in the pitch--kind of a summary thing--"Time travel adventure meets romantic comedy.." But my guess is that using a blurb in both places will probably be okay.

triceretops
01-18-2013, 11:20 PM
QUESTION: It seems you can edit your pitch and excerpt from the edit page, but how in the heck would you edit your full?
Oh, yeah, I left a header that has my last name in it--no personal info allowed.

Thanks for any response,

Tri

lastlittlebird
01-19-2013, 02:12 AM
QUESTION: It seems you can edit your pitch and excerpt from the edit page, but how in the heck would you edit your full?
Oh, yeah, I left a header that has my last name in it--no personal info allowed.

Thanks for any response,

Tri

Open up the "your entry" tab. If you hit "edit" it should open more options, including one to "change" your manuscript. It's a matter of uploading the whole thing again, once it's been adjusted.
Hope that helps!

triceretops
01-19-2013, 02:37 AM
Ah, thanks. Just did it. That's a relief.

Tigerlilly79
01-22-2013, 09:18 AM

Thanks for any response,

Tri

There's a button that says change. Click it and then upload your edited manuscript.

Amanda R.
01-22-2013, 09:32 AM
I've decided to reject the offer from Rainstorm (I've been doing a lot more publisher research and pretty much everyone out there offers better royalties, not to mention the other red flags) and entered the Amazon contest. You find out on the 14th of Feb if you go to the next round, so that isn't too long to wait. Plus, I can make a new query list of publishers in the meantime and have that ready to go if I don't make it.

But I hope I do :)

triceretops
01-23-2013, 04:41 AM
Good for you, Amanda. I've been very choosey with who gets me to sign on the dotted line as well. Don't settle.

Undercover
01-23-2013, 07:07 AM
Good for you, Amanda. I've been very choosey with who gets me to sign on the dotted line as well. Don't settle.

Same here. Don't settle for less.

Amanda R.
01-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

BAY
01-26-2013, 05:24 AM
I entered the ABNA today. This is my first time, I had people tell me I was too late. It fell under fantasy, which, I thought might be closed. Did the contest close early last year?

Marika
01-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Good luck, BAY!

lastlittlebird
01-26-2013, 10:32 AM
From what I've heard they aren't trying to fill certain numbers per category this year, but are just keeping the whole thing open until there are 10,000 entries. I think it did close early last year, but I'm not sure.

BAY
01-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks Marika. Are you entered?

Marika
01-27-2013, 05:04 AM
BAY, Yeah, I entered YA.

And good luck to everyone who entered. I'd love to see an AWer win!

triceretops
01-27-2013, 05:12 AM
I'm in with a YA distopian. Being the refugee that I am from the HV contest.

Anarchic Q
01-27-2013, 05:13 AM
Uuuugh this pitch does NOT want to be written!

lastlittlebird
01-27-2013, 05:36 AM
Yeah, writing the pitch was the worst bit for me too.

I'm also in YA. Sci-fi adventure.
I'm really glad this competition came along when it did... forced me to flesh out my novella into a novel and it works better now I think.
Good luck everyone! :)

lastlittlebird
01-27-2013, 11:40 AM
I was nosing through the ABNA forums and there was a suggestion there that it's a good idea to download a copy of your own entry from the site and look at the excerpt as well, to make sure the formatting went through properly.
Apparently people occasionally have trouble, although mine seemed to be OK.

Amanda R.
01-27-2013, 01:17 PM
I used the pitch, but now that I think about it my pitch does give away a bit too much for a blurb, so I think I'll give it a tweak.
I was just so paranoid that the contest was going to close before I got my entry in, I rushed a lot of the details.

I'm glad I was able to edit my entry. I used my pitch (a trimmed down version of my query) in both places which gave way too much away for the "about" spot. Thankfully I was able to go in and make changes this morning before it ends tonight.

BAY
01-28-2013, 12:59 AM
Good luck, Marika and the rest of us. We're a small group. I wonder how much the Voyager contest has weeded out entries?

I had the pitch in both places and then I rewrote something different yesterday. I also removed a paragraph from the pitch to keep it simple. I waited so late to enter, I didn't have time for pitch feedback. The squirrels would have gnawed it to death.

I'm glad I stopped the editing and entered. Bidding on e-bay has got me addicted to last second action.http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

ravenlea
01-29-2013, 12:59 AM
This is the first year I've entered ABNA mine is dark fantasy. Still waiting to hear from HV so now I get to worry over two novels. Plus I sent out half a dozen short stories today ... yep I need a life.

aruna
01-29-2013, 12:10 PM
For anyone interested: there's an ABNA group on Goodreads for contestants.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/93114-abna

Marika
01-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks, Aruna!

BAY
01-30-2013, 04:21 AM
I wonder if I'm the only entry that checked unpublished?

When I went to the GR board (thanks Aruna) all of their books were up for sale.

Thoughts on that being an advantage or disadvantage?

aruna
01-30-2013, 04:47 AM
Mine is unpublished, and will remain so, until it finds a mainstream publisher. It won't be self-published, despite having entered ABNA four times.

lastlittlebird
01-30-2013, 06:36 AM
Mine was briefly self published as a novella... I wrote it specifically to go through the process of self publishing and see what it was like. But, then I decided that route wasn't for me (at the moment anyway) and unpublished it before it sold many copies.
I rewrote it for the Amazon contest as a shortish novel.
So I checked "unpublished" although I guess I could have checked either.

I might end up re-self-publishing it in the end, because I'm not sure if I've entirely burned my bridges or not with publishers.
It only sold a handful of copies when it was available, mostly to friends and family, and I guess I'm hoping, after this, to send it out to small presses (I love it, but I can't see an agent or a big press going for it as it's a fairly niche book).
I guess I'll think about that after I get eliminated :)

BAY
01-30-2013, 06:42 AM
I can see an advantage to being published with readers and their reviews behind you, but not until the entry makes it into the semi-finals.

I also found it interesting Amazon reserves the right to publish you even if the entry doesn't make it into the semi final. I wonder if they're trying to build up a specific genre.

Amanda R.
01-31-2013, 08:44 AM
I checked unpublished on mine because it isn't published lol. I still have hopes for a legitimate publisher before I go the self-pub route.

lastlittlebird
02-01-2013, 06:36 AM
OK I have a question. There is a rule that says you can't shop around with an agent during the term of the contest.

A. Does that apply even if I get eliminated during the first couple of rounds?

B. If it does apply in that case, does it apply if I'm sending the manuscript to publishers myself, rather than through an agent?

I'm guessing the fact that we can voluntarily withdraw from the contest before the QFists are announced means they can't really keep anyone from shopping around once they've been eliminated in the first two rounds, but thought I'd double check.

BAY
02-03-2013, 12:40 AM
LLB,

You're right. If you don't make it past the pitch, you're free to shop.

If you make it into the quarters or semis and later get an offer, you have to allow A a chance to re-offer in 5 days. I think counter offers will be based on the reviews you receive.

lastlittlebird
02-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Cool bananas, that's about what I thought. I figured it was good to have a plan in place for when we find out about the pitch round so I don't dwell on it (I'm a terrible dweller!)

BAY
02-12-2013, 03:26 AM
I'll probably have a hangover after Fat Tuesday and forget to check if my entry makes it through. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

Passing through the gate sure would be a nice Valentine's Day gift, wouldn't it? Almost as good as chocolate.

triceretops
02-12-2013, 03:31 AM
Well, this is officially my waiting stations since I'm out of the running in the HV contest. Heeeeere we go again!

tri

lastlittlebird
02-12-2013, 04:32 AM
I'm trying to keep my mind off it, particularly since I've heard over and over that the first round is a crapshoot.
But my mind is stubborn.
I'm almost hoping to be eliminated so that I can stop speculating about it (um... if you're listening, contest fairies, I didn't mean that).

aruna
02-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Since there are going to be 400 "winners" from each genre ( in this round), your chances are better if you're in one of the less popular categories. Most popular it seems are YA and SF /Fantasy.

lastlittlebird
02-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Darn it, mine is a YA science fantasy (in the YA category).

Why did everyone else have to jump on my bandwagon?? Get your own category! *grumble, grumble*

triceretops
02-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Gak, Scoot over lastlittlebird, mine is the same, only with a distopian bent.

I'm. Toast.

Undercover
02-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Won't the first round winners be announced soon? I remember it saying something about Feb. I would have to look. Will the winner be notified by email?

Undercover
02-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Wait, I'm getting mixed up. I see there's two threads of this.

I have a question, if Amazon reserves the right to publish it, but doesn't have it running in the contest, how will you know? If you see you didn't make it after the first round, wouldn't you think okay to shop it again?

lastlittlebird
02-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Gak, Scoot over lastlittlebird, mine is the same, only with a distopian bent.

I'm. Toast.

It's time to break out the elbows. We'll make a nice little space in the crowd for us. :)

lastlittlebird
02-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Undercover, I think the people going to the next round are announced tomorrow (the 13th US time).
Also, I was told they only reserve the right to publish your novel (or at least to give you an offer I think?) if you make it to the quarter-finals (two rounds in I believe?).

I think how it works after that, is that you can't shop it until the official end of the contest (in June? I think?) and if they haven't contacted you before then, you are free to do what you like afterwards.

ETA: Seems like I'm a little unsure about all this (I think?)

seaaircarol
02-13-2013, 06:05 PM
(biting nails) I wonder when they'll post the first round winners?

Should be any time now.

By the way, lastlittlebird, your info. sounds right to me (I think--heh, heh)

tarak
02-13-2013, 06:58 PM
The first round winners are now posted. There was a glitch for a while where the mystery winners were posted for SFF as well, but it's fixed.

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=332264011

seaaircarol
02-13-2013, 07:27 PM
:cry:

I didn't make it.

Good luck to everyone else!!!

tarak
02-13-2013, 07:42 PM
:cry:

I didn't make it.

Good luck to everyone else!!!
I'm sorry you didn't make it. From what I've seen on the forums over at amazon, it's a real crap shoot to making the first round cut. Someone posted that his same pitch made it through the first round the last two years, but didn't make it this time.

seaaircarol
02-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Thank you for that, tarak. Much appreciated!

aruna
02-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Amazingly I made it. Virtually the same pitch I entered three times; twice it made this round, last year it failed so I had prepared myself again not to make it. I never made it past the excerpt round, though.

seaaircarol
02-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Way to go, aruna.

Good luck!

aruna
02-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks, and sorry yours didn't make it. I've always thought of this and the next round as a bit of a lottery; it really depends on whom one gets as a "judge".

triceretops
02-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Good for you, Aruna. Yep, first rounds are announced. I'm YA, and I don't see my name in the PDF page. So, I'm out. Gad zooks, what a bummer!

Good luck to the rest of you!

tri:cry:

tarak
02-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Congrats Aruna! Mine made it through the first round, too, which was nice. It does feel somewhat like the American Idol of slush pile contests. A lot of luck to get to the next round. This was my first time entering.

seaaircarol
02-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Yay, tarak!

lastlittlebird
02-14-2013, 01:08 AM
Congrats aruna and tarak!

Alas, I didn't make it through. I guess the elbows didn't work. I'll have to sharpen them up for next time. :)

ravenlea
02-14-2013, 02:33 AM
It does feel somewhat like the American Idol of slush pile contests.

that's exactly what my husband said!

I made it passed the first round in the SF/F/H catagory ... now we wait for March

BAY
02-14-2013, 03:28 AM
Congrats to all who made it through the first round. Good Luck! I won't be with you.

Amanda R.
02-14-2013, 06:56 AM
I made it! I'm in the romance category. Guess my next round of queries will have to stay safely on my computer for another month.

SKDaley
02-14-2013, 08:55 AM
My pitch made it through for SFF. We'll see how far I go. I'm not holding my breath, but at least someone liked my blurb since my queries have gotten nothing but rejections!

SKDaley
02-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Congrats to everyone who made it through round 1!! How many from the AW forum made it, I wonder?

Amanda R.
02-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Congrats to everyone who made it through round 1!! How many from the AW forum made it, I wonder?

I hope everyone who made it through lets us know, just to get an idea.

Saanen
02-15-2013, 01:21 AM
I got through for my fantasy, which surprised me. Now we wait and see what the next month's cut brings, I guess.

SKDaley
02-15-2013, 03:31 AM
And now, we wait. At least we know exactly when they will announce the next round winners. I can't take another few weeks waiting like I did for HV to get back.

ebbrown
02-15-2013, 07:20 AM
I hope everyone who made it through lets us know, just to get an idea.

Congrats on moving on to the next round :)
Looks like we're in it together for the Romance category. :hi:
Glad to find this thread, so cool to see all the AW members involved. Look forward to sharing the wait with you!

seaaircarol
02-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Good luck to those going through!

PorterStarrByrd
02-15-2013, 07:00 PM
JoeBear, who hangs out mostly in the Old Farts thread, joins those of you who got through the first round into the second.

Tienci
02-19-2013, 03:16 AM
Hello everyone!
Congrats to all who've made it this far, commiserations to those who haven't this time.
I entered for the first time this year since I only heard about the contest a few months ago.
I'm in for the General category. :)

How fun--didn't really think about it after entering (except weirdly on the last day when suddenly struck with the thought I might need to spice up my pitch. It was already closed to editing by then though). Then someone mentioned results somewhere on Goodreads recently so I checked, then came here to see who else I 'knew' had entered.

Well, until March 12th! :)

Amanda R.
02-19-2013, 11:05 AM
The Feb 13th announcement seemed to come so quickly, but March 13th seems so far away. I need a distraction.

Susie
03-12-2013, 02:03 AM
Congrats to all who made it and those it tried. Calls for :Cake:s!

tarak
03-12-2013, 02:18 AM
After 3+ weeks of not really thinking about this, I'm eager for tomorrow to come.

ETA: I didn't make the cut. Bummed, but not the end of the world by any stretch.

aruna
03-12-2013, 05:06 PM
It seems that some (all?) of the winners have been posted on amazon already, even before the official announcement. If you put your name in the search box and it comes up you're a winner. Mine didn't.

tarak
03-12-2013, 05:16 PM
It seems that some (all?) of the winners have been posted on amazon already, even before the official announcement. If you put your name in the search box and it comes up you're a winner. Mine didn't.
I read about that trick and since mine didn't pop up, I was sort of expecting it when the official lists were posted (a few minutes ago). I hope anyone on this board who made it through posts to let us read their good news!

aruna
03-12-2013, 06:26 PM
I didn't make it, damn!

This is a novel that was once repped by a Writers House agent, got accepted by a Random House editor, got rejected by the Random House sales team; got nearly accepted after an R % R by a British agent; my present agent's assistant told me it was the best ms she had read for him all year; in other words, lots of professional approval. If it could only get past those damn Vine reviewers!

Looking forward to see what they have to say this time around.

ebbrown
03-12-2013, 06:47 PM
ahhh, crap, I am very sad to see you did not move on, Aruna & Tarak. :(

SKDaley
03-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Holy shit, I made it through.

seaaircarol
03-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Sorry to hear that, aruna and tarak.

Congratulations, SKDaley!!!

SKDaley
03-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks, and I forgot to send my condolences to Tarak and Aruna. Aruna, I read your query letter for your novel, and it sounds intriguing. It is a story that needs to be told, and I have no doubt you will find a publisher. I don't think I am going to move past this round, but it's fun to dream!

tarak
03-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Holy shit, I made it through.
Congrats! Even if you don't make it through to the next round, you get a PW review of your whole manuscript, I believe.

SKDaley
03-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Congrats, E.B.! I saw your name in the Romance category!

--said the crazy, stalker-lady.

ebbrown
03-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Congrats, E.B.! I saw your name in the Romance category!

--said the crazy, stalker-lady.

Right back at you, SK!!!

Thank you :)
not stalker-ish, at all, haha!
I've been checking the list, too. Like we need any more distraction at this point, hum?

tarak
03-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Right back at you, SK!!!

Thank you :)
not stalker-ish, at all, haha!
I've been checking the list, too. Like we need any more distraction at this point, hum?
Congrats. I'll be checking out both excerpts (hopefully tonight).

aruna
03-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Congrats to all who got past the Vine guardians! Well done and good luck for future rounds. Let's get an AW winner in there!

Tienci
03-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Commiserations aruna & tarak. Thanks for your well wishes. :)

Congrats SKDaley & ebbrown! Looks like I'll be joining you in this next stage (http://www.amazon.com/Emancipating-Alice-ABNA-Entry-ebook/dp/B00B9N3Z3Q).

SKDaley
03-13-2013, 12:26 AM
Awesome, Tienci! Anybody else out there? Role Call!

SKDaley
03-13-2013, 12:40 AM
So, I just took a peek at my excerpt, and the formatting is screwed up. No paragraph breaks, all one long block of text. WTF? How is anyone supposed to read that without finding it really annoying? Oh, well, what can I do at this point?

ravenlea
03-13-2013, 01:56 AM
Just checked and mine didn't make it. Congrats to all who made it and good luck. I'll check everyone's excerpts out tomorrow when I'm home for the day.

tarak
03-13-2013, 02:42 AM
I downloaded the three excerpts from the AWers here I could identify. Haven't had a chance to read yet, but I will tonight.

I read my reviews from the two people who judged my excerpt. The first was pretty positive and gave helpful criticism. The second? It was a meh review, which is fine. But there wasn't much help given in terms of constructive criticism.

I pulled out a comment from each review, because it was such an illustration of different strokes for different folks.

From one - "having one of the agents a musical theatre nut is a good touch."

From the other - "I do not understand references and jokes about musicals and Andrew Lloyd Webber. What does all of that has to do with the plot?"

Sideways
03-13-2013, 03:43 AM
As SKDaley said, Holy shit, I made it through.:D
http://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-Smoke-Mirrors-Entry-ebook/dp/B00B9N3QMQ
Still no reviews posted and I haven't looked at the formatting but someone on IWW told me she liked it. I guess I better do some cross reviewing with other AW folks.
Thanks in advance for anyone who cares to take a look and post a comment or review.

Sideways
03-13-2013, 03:44 AM
You others who made it, please post a link. Thanks.

SKDaley
03-13-2013, 04:08 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=br_lf_m_1001087871_pglink_4?ie=UTF8&docId=1001087871&plgroup=4&plpage=4

My formatting sucks, but it's my own fault because I didn't review my excerpt and edit it. Duh! It's basically one big block of text. But...I guess that means they liked it in spite of such a notable flaw. Pardon the ultralong link, I am computer illiterate.

Tarak-- where did you read the review of your excerpt?

SKDaley
03-13-2013, 04:24 AM
Nevermind, found the reviews. Right there in front of my face! Most were positive, and some of the complaints were about things I know need fixed.

tarak
03-13-2013, 04:26 AM
SKDaley, if you go to your create space page, click on the ABNA link. It should take you to your page that shows your entry. To the far right, you'll find a box labeled View Feedback. There should be a link to check for reviews.

And I don't want anyone to think I was implying those who moved on didn't earn it. It's funny how both reviewers pointed out a few snippets of dialogue that took up about 200 words of my 5000-word excerpt. One liked it and one didn't.

Saanen
03-13-2013, 05:35 AM
I didn't make it (not to my surprise). Good luck to the AWers who did!

SKDaley
03-13-2013, 06:11 AM
SKDaley, if you go to your create space page, click on the ABNA link. It should take you to your page that shows your entry. To the far right, you'll find a box labeled View Feedback. There should be a link to check for reviews.

And I don't want anyone to think I was implying those who moved on didn't earn it. It's funny how both reviewers pointed out a few snippets of dialogue that took up about 200 words of my 5000-word excerpt. One liked it and one didn't.

Thanks! I found it-- I'm a little slow, apparently. One of my reviewers seemed to be under the impression that my story was sci-fi maybe just by what they said. He/she commented on some Italian-sounding words I'd used and complained that it was supposed to be another world. In fantasy, it's not like you make up everything from scratch. I used Italian words specifically cuz I'm trying to recreate Sicily in a Fantasy world. Oh, well. Readers are never wrong...

Tienci
03-13-2013, 06:14 AM

Thanks for this--missed it somehow.

Anyway, two expert reviews up (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B9N3Z3Q) and I like what I see. :)

triceretops
03-13-2013, 06:33 AM
Congrats to those that have made the cut so far. We'll be rooting for you.

tri

ebbrown
03-13-2013, 06:36 AM
You others who made it, please post a link. Thanks.

EB Brown (http://www.amazon.com/The-Legend-Bloodstone-Entry-ebook/dp/B00B9N3E82/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_t_4_W42J)

It took awhile for my reviews to post, but I was pleased. Between the two reviewers, they complimented a few things that I was hoping the reader would notice.

Does anyone know if those two reviews will be posted to our sample? I believe I saw previous years they posted them under "editorial reviews."
I need to stop hitting the "refresh" button and get back to work, haha. :o

Sideways
03-13-2013, 07:32 AM
I found my reviews now too. They definitely weren't there 10 hours ago.

This contest is so much luck, due to what a subjective thing literature is. If you happen to get 2 reviewers who happen to like your excerpt, you're good for this round.

That's what happened to me this year. I got lucky.
http://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-Smoke-Mirrors-Entry-ebook/dp/B00B9N3QMQ/

Cricket18
03-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Congrats to all who made it through to the next round! :)

It's funny how both reviewers pointed out a few snippets of dialogue that took up about 200 words of my 5000-word excerpt.

You and me both. My reviewer went on for several sentences about...the street name I'd chosen. You read that right. :Wha:

ebbrown
03-13-2013, 04:27 PM

You and me both. My reviewer went on for several sentences about...the street name I'd chosen. You read that right. :Wha:

Ty, and...??? :(

tarak
03-13-2013, 05:03 PM

:Wha: is right.

I wish they'd post the numerical scores that were assigned. It would be helpful to see what people are getting - some folks who made it through said the reviews they received were just average and the last time when they didn't make the cut, the reviews were better.

SKDaley
03-13-2013, 07:42 PM
I guess the jist of my reviews was that both reviewers wanted to keep reading the book. Which is all I can ask for, really. That's why I wrote it.

So, how many of us are there? I see 1 for romance, 1 for general, 1 for mystery, and 1 for fantasy (me) so far. Any others???

triceretops
03-14-2013, 02:16 AM
I'm not quite sure how it works. If you've not made the cut, do you still have reviewer's comments somewhere? And if so, where do you find them?

tri--paint me confused.

Cricket18
03-14-2013, 02:41 AM
I'm not quite sure how it works. If you've not made the cut, do you still have reviewer's comments somewhere? And if so, where do you find them?

tri--paint me confused.

Tri, you have to go to your cr3@t3sp@ce account. Wasn't easy for me to find either, but you should have 2 reviews waiting.

Even after the drone about the street name and then saying that a teen could never be with an older man = pedophilia, the reviewer wanted to keep reading. Again, :Wha:

The other reviewer stated they didn't find the premise "earth shattering" and therefore would not want to read the full ms.

*makes notes to write something earth shattering*

;)

I too have heard a lot of complaints about this year's reviews vs. last year's.

triceretops
03-14-2013, 02:51 AM
Yeah, I logged in and under check for reviews, I found nothing there. I guess that might be typical or a-typical. Don't know why there was nothing. I didn't make the cut even in the first round, so that might be the reason.

tri:Shrug:

Cricket18
03-14-2013, 02:57 AM
Yeah, I logged in and under check for reviews, I found nothing there. I guess that might be typical or a-typical. Don't know why there was nothing. I didn't make the cut even in the first round, so that might be the reason.

tri:Shrug:

Ah, yep. Only if you made it to the next round...then they read your first 3-5k words. Or in my case, three words=street name. ;)

Little Red Barn
03-14-2013, 03:05 AM

and you know mine went on a tirade about my mc's name. said, "seems like an unusual name for a white girl in a period of time (1972) where there is still a lot of racism."
:Shrug:
Ahem, that was my real-life great grandmother's name. =O
i made semi-finalist last year and had great reviewers that really were thorough.

congrats to all who made it! i still think it's a wonderful opportunity.

SKDaley
03-14-2013, 04:19 AM
Yeah the discussion boards are alight with tales of woe about this year's reviewers. I guess even if I don't make it past this round, my ms will at least get a review from professionals over at PW. Who could ask for anything more?

ME!

4everwriter
03-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Congratulations to everyone who survived the cut!

My experience with ABNA is a mixed bag. After not making it past the pitch for three years, I tried a new book last year and made it to the quarter finals (one of only about a dozen SF/F/H to make it). The vine reviews were very positive, but the PW review was equal parts praise and criticism...and the criticism was deserved as there was something that needed to be fixed in the last third of the book. So I spent the last year trying to improve the manuscript as a whole. I had numerous critiques, including one from an agent and one from a published author, and felt like I had a much stronger book ready to go this time.

So I entered the book again and made it through the pitch round. Much to my disappointment, though, I didn't make the quarters. To my even bigger disappointment I read what the vine reviewers said.

The first loved the story and wanted to read more, but then said the writing "is just so-so" and the "dialogue is just bad." Which begs the question of why they'd want to continue reading?

The second was a little better, but wanted more detail in spite of the fact that he/she didn't like the details that were there.

I could go on, but don't want to vent my frustration more than necessary. I think the old adage, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is appropriate for ABNA. It really does depend on who the reviewer is, what time they're sitting down to review, how many they've already reviewed, what else is vying for their attention, etc.

Amanda R.
03-14-2013, 02:35 PM
I didn;t make it to the next round :( Oh, well. Time to look for a publisher.

Congrats to everyone who made it!

Edit: I just found my reviews and I was really encouraged by what one of them wrote: "The best foreword pitch any author can write." She also said "I really like the idea of a traditional vampire romance, but blended with a wonderful historical perspective. This reminds me of the old Dracula movies. This one should appeal to a wide range of ages. I think my grandma should very much enjoy this one too." Can we uses these "testimonials" in our queries? I think I'm definitely going to throw them up on my website.

SKDaley
03-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Anyone else experiencing moments of elation followed by crushing self-doubt? I have gotten so used to rejection that even the slightest interest in my novel has my head spinning. It is all so subjective, though. One person loves it, another hates it, and yet another couldn't care less. Why do we do this to ourselves?

Oh, yeah-- we're writers, we can't help it.

Saanen
03-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Oh, I found my reviews. Buh?

"I think fantasy books like this have such limited appeal. Certainly, there is an audience for them, but it is limited to people who read and enjoy fantasy."

Well yeah. It's a fantasy. People who read and enjoy fantasy generally read and enjoy fantasy.

SKDaley
03-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Uh, yeah, so few people enjoy reading fantasy, right? Bummer, Saanen, that's pretty useless criticism.

tarak
03-14-2013, 09:17 PM

"I think fantasy books like this have such limited appeal. Certainly, there is an audience for them, but it is limited to people who read and enjoy fantasy."

Well yeah. It's a fantasy. People who read and enjoy fantasy generally read and enjoy fantasy.

Saanen - that's unfortunate. I wonder if any readers requested a particular genre and didn't get it.

ebbrown
03-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Edit: I just found my reviews and I was really encouraged by what one of them wrote: "The best foreword pitch any author can write." She also said "I really like the idea of a traditional vampire romance, but blended with a wonderful historical perspective. This reminds me of the old Dracula movies. This one should appeal to a wide range of ages. I think my grandma should very much enjoy this one too." Can we uses these "testimonials" in our queries? I think I'm definitely going to throw them up on my website.

Amanda, that is a nice compliment on your book!
Also a good question about using the reviews, I was wondering the same thing. They posted what looks like the summary from each review to our excerpt page, not the entire review. I know the PW review may be used for promotional purposes, but I am not sure about the Vine reviews.
:Shrug:

Amanda R.
03-15-2013, 06:13 AM

Yeah, that's a bit of a "hurr, durr" thing for a reviewer to say. I hope you got better feedback from other reviewers. I had two reviews on mine; one better than the other.

Cricket18
03-15-2013, 06:57 AM

Hahaha! I'm not laughing at you, Saanen. I'm laughing at the inaneness of that reviewer's commentary.

Really, it sucks that you got someone like this. Seems many of us suffered the same fate. *hugs*

Saanen
03-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Yeah, that's a bit of a "hurr, durr" thing for a reviewer to say. I hope you got better feedback from other reviewers. I had two reviews on mine; one better than the other.

The other reviewer liked it a lot, so it balanced out. Still kind of aggravating. :)

tarak
03-16-2013, 04:15 AM
The other reviewer liked it a lot, so it balanced out. Still kind of aggravating. :)

I'm sure it is. I've gotten feedback of that nature. "I don't like stories with guns, so I didn't like yours." Um, thanks? It's a bit like Thumper's mom. If you can't say something constructive, don't say anything. Because criticism is fine if it's going to be somehow helpful. Telling me you don't like pork isn't really helping me figure out if my home-cured bacon is any good.

ebbrown
03-19-2013, 12:25 AM
I guess even if I don't make it past this round, my ms will at least get a review from professionals over at PW. Who could ask for anything more?

ME!

Yeah, I feel the same way. Looking forward to the PW review, that is the most I could have hoped for out of this. I didn't think my excerpt was the strongest part of the book(I was happy with it, but I think it gets better as it goes on), so I was thrilled to move on. It will be cool to see what PW has to say about the entire shebang.

SKDaley
03-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Same here, E.B., I feel my manuscript gets better as the story progresses, so I'm equally thrilled to have made it here. That PW review will give real insight into the strengths and weaknesses of my ms. Beats paying for an editor any day!

Marika
03-26-2013, 09:41 PM
FYI, my novel was a quarterfinalist last year, and I got a PW review. It was a nice review, which was great (no negatives or suggestions for improvement). But my novel didn't make it to the next round. So, the review may not be helpful in terms of knowing what needs improvement.

Good luck to all of you still in the competition!!

SKDaley
03-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks, Marika! I'm happy to have made it this far, and I'm looking forward to the review, whatever it may be. Making it to the next round is a long shot, I know, but right now at least I have hope.

ebbrown
04-11-2013, 02:13 AM
FYI, my novel was a quarterfinalist last year, and I got a PW review. It was a nice review, which was great (no negatives or suggestions for improvement). But my novel didn't make it to the next round. So, the review may not be helpful in terms of knowing what needs improvement.

Good luck to all of you still in the competition!!

Thanks Marika :)

SKDaley
04-11-2013, 05:38 AM
Less than a week to go. Is there anybody out there?

ebbrown
04-11-2013, 05:51 AM
Ugh. This waiting is nerve wracking. I don't know what else to say about it. It's just torturous. I have two manuscripts in edits right now, and I can't seem to focus on anything long enough to get it finished. I guess it is what it is. I'm trying very hard to keep up with what I need to do. Waiting for a response to queries has not affected me so much, so it is weird to see this contest being so distracting.
Arg. A few more days, and viola! Moving on with the plan. haha.

yes, I will have another glass of wine, thank you!

seaaircarol
04-11-2013, 06:29 AM
Good luck to everyone still in!

ebbrown
04-11-2013, 03:42 PM
:):D

ebbrown
04-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Apparently, the PW reviews are being posted to CS accounts early. Seems like no rhyme or reason to it, all categories are posting to accounts according to the writers. Looks like they started posting them last night.
I knew I should have just stayed off the internet today. :Shrug:

Tienci
04-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Gosh darn it, now I went and looked.
Not a glowing review by any means, but an interesting take that made me giggle. :)

ebbrown
04-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Ahh, I'm out. ;) I expected as much, was just happy to have made it thus far. Still no PW review, apparently they are taking their sweet time about posting them.

Thrilled for a friend who did make the cut in the YA genre, though. :)

seaaircarol
04-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Ahh, I'm out. ;) I expected as much, was just happy to have made it thus far. Still no PW review, apparently they are taking their sweet time about posting them.

Thrilled for a friend who did make the cut in the YA genre, though. :)

Aww, sorry to hear that. :Hug2:

Any other AW'ers still in?

ebbrown
04-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Aww, sorry to hear that. :Hug2:

Any other AW'ers still in?

TY :) It's all good. Other opportunities are knocking. ;)

Tienci
04-17-2013, 06:02 AM
I'm out too, but I'm content with the great feedback and usable quotes I've gotten from the reviews.
Still tickled about the PW one--but there is a line I can use from it! :)

SKDaley
04-19-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm out, as well. My PW review was brutal, I'm afraid to say. The person who read my book definitely did not like it. I don't know whether to take it to heart and scrap the whole thing, try and fix it, or just view it as one person's opinion. Having never gotten such a harsh critique, I am a bit thrown.

seaaircarol
04-20-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm out, as well. My PW review was brutal, I'm afraid to say. The person who read my book definitely did not like it. I don't know whether to take it to heart and scrap the whole thing, try and fix it, or just view it as one person's opinion. Having never gotten such a harsh critique, I am a bit thrown.

:Hug2: Just one person's opinion!!!!

4everwriter
04-20-2013, 05:53 PM

You're not the only one who has received a brutal PW review through ABNA. Based on feedback I've read since the beginning of the contest in 2007, PW doesn't feel inclined to hold anything back, which can be good and bad. I made the quarters last year, and the review I received was equal parts praise and criticism. They did hit on something that I thought might be a problem (but hoped it wasn't), so when they identified it I went back through the book and (hopefully) corrected it.

Let the review rest for a few days or a week or so, then relook it. If you can use anything from it, good. If not, then remember that the PW reviewers are a lot like the Vine reviewers...sometimes they 'get' the book and sometimes they don't. The best thing to do is hang in there and keep writing.

SKDaley
04-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, you guys. I'm trying to take it for what it is-- one person's opinion. S/He seemed to be stuck on one aspect of the novel, and was very dismissive of the whole thing because of that. "Run-of-the-mill" and "nothing special" are the phrases that cut the deepest, but, hey, I can use that. I knew the manuscript needed work when I entered, but thought what the hell.

I found some bad reviews of writers who have made it big, hoping for a little consolation. It actually helped.

ebbrown
04-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the advice, you guys. I'm trying to take it for what it is-- one person's opinion. S/He seemed to be stuck on one aspect of the novel, and was very dismissive of the whole thing because of that. "Run-of-the-mill" and "nothing special" are the phrases that cut the deepest, but, hey, I can use that. I knew the manuscript needed work when I entered, but thought what the hell.

I found some bad reviews of writers who have made it big, hoping for a little consolation. It actually helped.

Agreed, don't take it to heart. Take what you can from the review, and weigh it against the other feedback you have received. My PW review was pretty much just a summary of my book, with nothing specific to say except that it was heavy on historical details and did not clearly fit into a specific genre. I debated using the entire review, but ended up using just a short quote.

haha, yeah, I knew that the whole doesn't-really-fit-in-one-genre thing might come up sooner or later. I'm okay with that.

:)

Tobias54
06-19-2017, 07:20 PM
What happened to this forum? Was it moved or just ended?

AW Admin
06-19-2017, 07:55 PM
Since you just posted, it's clearly not dead, but why on Earth are you obsessively necroing threads from four years ago?

Is it a native inability to read the screen?