Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoriaE

Writer, Environmentalist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
victoria-e.com
I'm curious about how often you clean/pick-up around your apartment or home.

Also, when you do clean up a bit, what do you do? Mop? Dust? Vacuum? Wipe down counters? Laundry? Other things?

Are there areas that you think need to be cleaned more often or that haven't seen a broom in months?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sloppy Bachelor who's hardly home response:

I pick up maybe once a month. When I do it's super thorough, because I know it'll be some weeks before it happens again, and I don't want the place to be an disgusting mess, just an awful mess on the mess-o-metron.

I mop the kitchen & bathroom, vacuum all carpeted areas (with a borrowed vacuum as I am too cheap to purchase one), dust, clean mirrors, wipe down counters, throw away scraps of paper that have been collecting for no reason, put all books on the bookshelf in alphabetical order, put all dvds in my collection in alphabetical order and categorize by genre. That's about it.

Laundry, probably once every 10 days. I do clean the bathtub more often than the rest of the house, however, and I stay on top of the dishes because big roaches really freak me out.

I think that's everything...

VictoriaE

Writer, Environmentalist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
victoria-e.com
Jcomp said:
Sloppy Bachelor who's hardly home response:

I pick up maybe once a month. When I do it's super thorough, because I know it'll be some weeks before it happens again, and I don't want the place to be an disgusting mess, just an awful mess on the mess-o-metron.

I mop the kitchen & bathroom, vacuum all carpeted areas (with a borrowed vacuum as I am too cheap to purchase one), dust, clean mirrors, wipe down counters, throw away scraps of paper that have been collecting for no reason, put all books on the bookshelf in alphabetical order, put all dvds in my collection in alphabetical order and categorize by genre. That's about it.

Laundry, probably once every 10 days. I do clean the bathtub more often than the rest of the house, however, and I stay on top of the dishes because big roaches really freak me out.

I think that's everything...

Well, the fact that you are hardly ever home makes sense as far as the cleaning goes. I'm hope all the time and I do just about as much as you do ;) I make sure there aren't things lying everywhere, but other than basic picking up, wiping things down ... etc. I don't get much done. I look forward to when I move in 4 months - my next apartment will have a lot less in it and will be much easier to keep clean.

peer54

i rite gud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gone about 12 hours a day (working and commuting adds up) during the week so I tend to clean up on weekends. Our house is 2200 sq feet and I am laaaaazy.

Perhaps clean is a strong word. When the dust bunnies start to get seriously large warrens going on, I sweep them up with my Swiffer. About once a month I break out the vacuum.

In the kitchen, I constantly wipe the counter as I cook dinner and hate the sight of crumbs or spills there.

Bathroom? Once a month. It stays clean so I suspect my husband scrubs it on a regular basis.

Other than that, my husband does the dishes and scoops the kitty litter every day, the laundry every sunday, and all the yard work. If you add it up, I spend about 2 hours a week cleaning. He spends about 10. Tee hee.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I'm tolerant of mess, but I try not to live in a pig sty. :) I try and keep the house picked up and swept at least, but I generally have a big cleaning session every two weeks or so. Then I'll clean the bathroom thoroughly (as opposed to spot cleaning): scrub sink and toilet, sweep (and sometimes mop), dust, and if I'm really being thorough (or if company's coming), scrub out the tub and clean the glass shower door.

Once I've done the bathroom, it's natural for me to move out of there and sweep the hallway and bedrooms, change the cat's litter box if it's overdue, take any laundry in the bedrooms to the laundry room and otherwise pick up and put stuff away, and I finish by changing my sheets and making up my bed. I usually go on and sweep the living room, but it tends to stay cleaner than the bedrooms and bathroom.

After that, if I've still got energy I'll work on the kitchen, but usually I just have enough oomph left at this point to do laundry, take out trash, and maybe sweep the kitchen.

On the other hand, if I'm going to be cooking, the kitchen HAS to be clean first and I clean up as I go. It's the everyday clutter and mess that I hate cleaning up in the kitchen--dishes especially (no dishwasher)!

I start cleaning at the bathroom because I really hate a dirty bathroom.

expatbrat

Look what we made:
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.expatbrat.com
My Ayi (cleaner) is in on Mondays. It was better in China where I had someone in 3 times a week; she also went out and paid my bills, did my shopping, cleaned and cut up fruit (min of 4 diff types - got to stay healthy) and regularly replaced the batteries in my vibrator. I often say I will stop expatting when they come up with self cleaning bathrooms. I have only ever cleaned a toilet once – honestly - that was enough.

Now I am a writer and home most of the time I only get the cleaner once a week. I do the floors every day as I hate messy floors. Wash sports kit every day or it starts to smell, the other laundry I wait for enough of the whites, darks and reds to build up for a fullish load. I keep the kitchen rather clean; we have killer ants that can actually bite through zip bags… the less food around for them to survive on the better.

I got one of the mops with the "wet wipe" thingys the other day – handy.

Why do you ask?

SeanDSchaffer

VictoriaE said:
I'm curious about how often you clean/pick-up around your apartment or home.

Less often than I should. I generally clean up my apartment once or twice a week.

Also, when you do clean up a bit, what do you do? Mop? Dust? Vacuum? Wipe down counters? Laundry? Other things?

Yes.

Are there areas that you think need to be cleaned more often or that haven't seen a broom in months?

My kitchen should be cleaned more often, as should my dishes.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
I used to clean every weekend (mostly) and pickup when company was coming.

But now I practice Fung Shui, and everynight, before bed, I clean the house. I pick up clutter and messes when they happen.

RandomUser1432

Tidying Up - I tidy up about once a week. By this, I mean that I organize stuff that has collected on the tops of dressers and furniture.

Laundry - About once a week.

Dishes - I rinse most dishes right away until they are spotless. Then they are put in the dish washer when there are enough of them.

Bathroom - When I notice dinge, or get tired of spots on the mirror. I dont know how often this is.

Vacuuming - I absolutely loathe vacuuming. You dont want to know how seldom I vacuum.

Organize Desktop - I organize my computer desktop probably about once a month.

Dusting - Less often than I vacuum.

Washing blankets and pillows - Something like twice a month, to keep out mites and dust.

Snow Shoveling / Leaf Raking - This year I did all the leaf raking/blowing (there was a pile the size of a car or two) and quite a bit of snow shoveling myself, for exercize.

Steam Cleaning - I will steam clean my bed and floor occasionally to kill all dust.

Cleaning under bed - maybe a few times a year. Its a pain to move the mattresses around.

Organizing Papers - I get a lot of papers with drawings and writings on them building up which I put into a box. They end up getting mixed in with junk mail, flyers, who knows what. I organize these maybe once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.