PDA

View Full Version : RWA National - this summer, Atlanta

Susan Gable
01-31-2006, 12:42 AM
Hi, everyone! I just wanted to give a heads-up that registration for the Romance Writers of America National conference is starting! This summer (July 26-29) the conference will be in Atlanta, GA, at the Marriot Marquis.

Both RWA members and non-members may attend. (Non-members pay more, though.) It's a wonderful opportunity to learn, network, and just have a blast. (Oh, wait. Don't tell the tax guys it's fun. This is serious business.)

Registration runs from $325 (for early members) to $425 (for late non-members.) Hotel rooms are running from $149 (single or double, regular room) to $189 for a quad regular room. (Suites available, too, at higher rates, of course.)

The conference will start off with the Literary Signing - hundreds of your favorite romance authors, signing books being sold to benefit literacy organizations. This event is free (well, free to get IN. <G>) and open to the public, so anyone can attend this.

I'm going to be giving a workshop with my good friend, Holly Jacobs. It's titled: "We Don't Need No Stinkin' Rules."

So, anyone else planning on going? :)

Susan G.

dragonjax
01-31-2006, 04:30 AM
Me! ((Jackie waves hand wildly))

Although I'm more of a paranormal romance kinda gal...

Susan Gable
01-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Me! ((Jackie waves hand wildly))

Although I'm more of a paranormal romance kinda gal...

YEaahh, great, Jackie! I look forward to meeting you, then. :)

Ummmm...I'm not sure what the pararnormal romance comment meant, though. ??? Did you mean that you thought maybe my workshop might not be relevent because you do pararnormal rom? If so, I assure you, it's for everyone, regardless of what they write, regardless of whether they're pubbed or not...

:) It's for anyone.

I missed going to conference last year because traveling to Reno was going to be a major pain, so I'm really stoked for this year.

Susan G.

Cathy C
01-31-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm going to have to skip this year. :( We're already scheduled for Romantic Times, Writer's Weekend, FenCon and ButcherCon. We didn't plan it that way, but the budget (even though three of the four are paying our way) will still be tight. But DEFINITELY planning on 2007, since it'll be close (Dallas!)

Have fun, guys!

Susan Gable
01-31-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm going to have to skip this year. :( We're already scheduled for Romantic Times, Writer's Weekend, FenCon and ButcherCon. We didn't plan it that way, but the budget (even though three of the four are paying our way) will still be tight. But DEFINITELY planning on 2007, since it'll be close (Dallas!)

Have fun, guys!

Wow, that's a busy schedule, Cathy. I've never done RT, and since I don't have a book out this year, this isn't the year to try it for me.

I'm doing Ninc in March. Speaking in Buffalo in May. National in July. I'm speaking in Toronto in September. And I'm waiting to see if I'm doing the NJ conference in October. And that will book up my year. :) Oh, I also had a request to speak in Central Ohio again, but I haven't heard back from them.

Busy, busy, busy!

I'm def. planning on Dallas next year, too. My cp lives in Fort Worth, and two years ago when the conference was in Dallas, I went down early and spent a week with her before the conference. We had a blast, and I really look forward to doing that again. :partyguy:

Susan G.

Sonarbabe
02-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this year. Money is a wee bit tight and the fees coupled with the airfare is just out of my reach this time. I want details when everyone gets back though...lots of details! Y'all gotta make me jealous, you know. ;)

L.Jones
02-01-2006, 01:40 AM
I rejoined RWA a few days ago just so I could go to Atlanta. Haven't been to national since NYC so am looking forward to it.

annie
Luanne Jones
Heathen Girls (mira - available now)

Susan Gable
02-01-2006, 01:52 AM
Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this year. Money is a wee bit tight and the fees coupled with the airfare is just out of my reach this time. I want details when everyone gets back though...lots of details! Y'all gotta make me jealous, you know. ;)

Don't forget that usually just after conference, you can get the CDs with ALL the workshops for like $100. That's def. cheaper than going to conference. (I know, it's not the same, but still, you get to hear all the editors talk about what they're looking for, all the craft workshops, the keynotes, all of that. I have the CDs from last year and they're great.)

Annie, glad to hear you'll be there! Are you going to be signing at the lit signing? I don't think they'll be able to get my last book, so I probably won't be signing. Which is sort of good and fun because that means I get to run around and say hi to everyone while they're trapped in their seats. <G>

Susan G.

lrs
02-01-2006, 02:11 AM
Wow, i had no idea that it was that expensive just to sign up. Yeah, not sure if its in the budget for this year. I am going to the Chicago conference in April. Anyone else going?

dragonjax
02-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Ummmm...I'm not sure what the pararnormal romance comment meant, though.

Sorry, Susan -- what I meant was, I still think of myself as a fantasy writer. Calling myself a romance writer is taking some getting used to. :)

I'm looking forward to meeting you!

L.Jones
02-01-2006, 04:32 AM
Annie, glad to hear you'll be there! Are you going to be signing at the lit signing? I don't think they'll be able to get my last book, so I probably won't be signing. Which is sort of good and fun because that means I get to run around and say hi to everyone while they're trapped in their seats. <G>

Susan G.

If all goes well I should be able to sign both as Luanne Jones and Annie Jones, which will be fun to sign Heathen Girls next to my Love Inspired!! I didn't have anything out in NYC and that was actually more fun than sitting there -- you know if you aren't really well known you just feel like a chump between the occasional curious book grabber and stop overs by friends :)

annie
Luanne Jones
Heathen Girls (Mira - available now)

Susan Gable
02-01-2006, 06:53 AM
If all goes well I should be able to sign both as Luanne Jones and Annie Jones, which will be fun to sign Heathen Girls next to my Love Inspired!! I didn't have anything out in NYC and that was actually more fun than sitting there -- you know if you aren't really well known you just feel like a chump between the occasional curious book grabber and stop overs by friends :)

annie
Luanne Jones
Heathen Girls (Mira - available now)

LOL - YEah, I hear you on that. One year, the book I was signing was actually an August release, but Harlequin sent them - those I sold out of because, of course, no one had them yet. I had a bunch of people coming to get the book. (That one had been a Golden Heart finalist the year before.) That was kind of fun, but I suspect it will be an only occurance. :)

Jackie, ooooohhhhh, okay, now I get it. <G> Hey, paranormal romance is FUN. I like reading a lot of it. :) Have you read any of Lori Handeland's warewolf romances? Actually, she shares a title with Cathy. Lori has a trilogy out called Blue Moon, Hunter's Moon, and, ummm... Dark Moon. She won a Rita last year with one of them. Can't remember which off the top of my head. :) I'm looking forward to meeting you, too.

Susan G.

Sonarbabe
02-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Don't forget that usually just after conference, you can get the CDs with ALL the workshops for like $100. That's def. cheaper than going to conference. (I know, it's not the same, but still, you get to hear all the editors talk about what they're looking for, all the craft workshops, the keynotes, all of that. I have the CDs from last year and they're great.)

But..but...it's not the same as meeting y'all! *sobs*

Okay, I'm better. Maybe, if the fates are kind, there'll be a really cool conference in the Seattle/Tacoma area within the next year and I can go to that. I'll definitely have to look into those CDs. I think I'd like to hear you speak, Susan. :D

katee
02-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Are the CDs available just to RWA members, or to everyone?

I'm hoping to get to the Australian RWA conference this year - if it's somewhere I can get to easily, if I finish my first draft (it's a reward/bribe for doing so).

dragonjax
02-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Jackie, ooooohhhhh, okay, now I get it. <G> Hey, paranormal romance is FUN. I like reading a lot of it. :) Have you read any of Lori Handeland's warewolf romances? Actually, she shares a title with Cathy. Lori has a trilogy out called Blue Moon, Hunter's Moon, and, ummm... Dark Moon. She won a Rita last year with one of them. Can't remember which off the top of my head. :) I'm looking forward to meeting you, too.

Susan G.

Nope, haven't read her work (yet) -- thanks for the tip! :)

Susan Gable
02-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Are the CDs available just to RWA members, or to everyone?

I'm hoping to get to the Australian RWA conference this year - if it's somewhere I can get to easily, if I finish my first draft (it's a reward/bribe for doing so).

Available to everyone/anyone. I'll be sure to post that information when conference is over.

Australia. I would LOVE to get to Australia some day. I have a couple of Aussie writer friends. :)

That's a good bribe! Well worth working toward! Good luck!

Seattle...hmmmm...I think there's an active RWA group in that area, and I think they may have a conference of their own. The RWA main website has links to chapters, so maybe you could look for the chapter's website and see what it has to say.

Susan G.

katee
02-02-2006, 03:51 AM
Available to everyone/anyone. I'll be sure to post that information when conference is over.

Australia. I would LOVE to get to Australia some day. I have a couple of Aussie writer friends. :)
Thanks Susan!

I have it on good authority that Australia's well worth coming to (the country, not the RWA conference - I haven't earnt that yet!). Perhaps you could come and give a workshop at our RWA ... surely that'd be a tax deduction?