Question about agents and procedure

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
I've wondered just what happens when an agent asks to read an author's manuscript - does the agent have particular markets in mind? Does the agent query particular markets before they respond back to the author? I'm just trying to get an idea of the mindset.

After receiving so many rejections, the thought occurred to me that possibly agents keep their finger on the pulse of the marketplace - i.e,, they pretty much know what particular editors are looking for and they look for ms that would fit that criteria.

Is that a pretty good assessment, or am i way off base??? Just wondering.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Toni. When an agent asks to read the manuscript, it's so she can evaluate whether or not the MS is marketable. So yes, in addition to checking out the writer's skill, she's also thinking about where she could sell the MS. If the agent thinks she can sell the book, she'll take on the author as a client, and then start submitting the MS to editors. If she thinks the author is good, but doesn't think she can sell that particular MS, she may ask if the author has any other manuscripts, and ask to see those.

Writer Beware now has a blog in which Victoria and Ann talk about what a real agent does, among many other things. Also see Miss Snark, the literary agent for things from the agent's POV.