Tennis, Anyone?

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Tennis fans. Come on out and let's talk about the Australian Open.

Who's your favorite on the Women or Men's side?

I'm a Federer fan. As to the women, if Azarenka could stop the shrieking, I might be able to stand to watch her play.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
As a Scot I have to shout for Andy Murray, but I'll be torn if he meets Fed in the semis as I was a Fed fan before Murray came along.

I'm tired today as I stayed up all night last night watching Tsonga, then Murray, then Serena, then Federer.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I was an Agassi fan for ages and couldn't stand Federer up to when he beat Agassi in the 2005 US OPEN final. I was there and Fed won me over with his gracious speech. He's a class act.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
French Open starts next Sunday. My favourite slam. Although there's no point watching Nadal until the final. And last I heard Murray's out injured. But I still hope it'll be a good tournament.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Murray retired from the tournament this week, after levelling his match, too. Something wrong with his hip. Hadn't heard if he was pulling out of the French Open, too, though. Would be a shame, but he needs to be fit for Wimbledon -- which is the best tournament of the year.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
It would have been good to see Andy play the French, if only to find out if his US Open and Olympic titles would have made a difference. Nadal's always been his mental block. Assuming he'd have got to Nadal - clay's far from his best surface and there are plenty of horrors lurking between the first round and the final. And I always hope to see the French do well, especially Tsonga. I love Tsonga. But the home crowd's often too much for them.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
It would have been good to see Andy play the French, if only to find out if his US Open and Olympic titles would have made a difference. Nadal's always been his mental block. Assuming he'd have got to Nadal - clay's far from his best surface and there are plenty of horrors lurking between the first round and the final. And I always hope to see the French do well, especially Tsonga. I love Tsonga. But the home crowd's often too much for them.

Clay is Murray's weakest surface, I don't think he's ever progressed beyond the QF at the French. The main culprit being his knee which is aggravated by the need to slide.

I think Andy has made the right choice to retire, and come home for treatment. Hopefully he'll be back in time for Queens.

My money is on a Nadal v Djokovich final, and wouldn't dare call a winner (though would love to see Nadal back in the top 4.) Tsonga's a real character, but Nadal has to be the sweetest guy in the world. :)

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Clay is Murray's weakest surface, I don't think he's ever progressed beyond the QF at the French. The main culprit being his knee which is aggravated by the need to slide.

I think Andy has made the right choice to retire, and come home for treatment. Hopefully he'll be back in time for Queens.

My money is on a Nadal v Djokovich final, and wouldn't dare call a winner (though would love to see Nadal back in the top 4.) Tsonga's a real character, but Nadal has to be the sweetest guy in the world. :)

Yeah, the French is a real slog. And with Wimbledon so close it's not worth the risk he'd make himself worse. I don't see Nadal having too many problems, and if he's not playing Djokovic in the final it'll probably be a total waste of time.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Just watched the highlights of the Sharapova match. And the screaming! Enough is enough. TPTB need to do something about it. It's ridiculous.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
And the screaming! Enough is enough. TPTB need to do something about it. It's ridiculous.

Yep, that's got my vote.

And how cool is this Dustin Brown guy who beat Lleyton Hewitt :)

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Dustin Brown is cool. I'm sure I've seen him play before but I can't think where. Queens, maybe.

Yeah, the screaming is outrageous. But with Azarenka withdrawing, once that yelping Portuguese girl goes out in the next round, which she probably will, it'll be a very peaceful tournament. They'll have to start docking points for it or something. It's the only way.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Dustin Brown is cool. I'm sure I've seen him play before but I can't think where. Queens, maybe.

I think Murray beat him at the US Open at some point (not sure if it was last year.) But he's definitely a future top ten player.

It's going to be an exciting two weeks, and should shake the rankings up. Save anymore big upsets the rankings should be:

1. Novak Djokovic
2. Andy Murray
3. David Ferrer
4. Rafa Nadal
5. Roger Federer

The rest of the top ten will be well and truly shaken up, with some outliers muscling in on a top ten position. I would like to see Gasquet move up (I think he's currently 9), his 2008 match against Murray is still my favourite match.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I struggled a bit after the Federer match. My eyes saw it happening but my brain refused to process it. It all got a bit demented yesterday.

Today's order of play doesn't suggest we'll have the same again, although Gasquet can make life difficult for himself. Lopez v Mathieu might be good. I watched Djokovic on Tuesday and unless he has a complete meltdown I don't see him having any problems. But after yesterday anything's possible.

sevenrivers

Lagavulin 16, if you please
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched the highlights of the Sharapova match. And the screaming! Enough is enough. TPTB need to do something about it. It's ridiculous.

It's been a complaint for years, sadly I don't see anything changing.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Well! Who da thunk? I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime but a Brit won Wimbers!

Well done, Andy Murray!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
British movie star. He starred in a movie called "Wimbledon" about a has been who wins it. It is a good tennis movie.

He played Geoffrey Chaucer in "A Knight's Tale." He is my oldest daughter's age but I gotta say he stirs my sluggish blood! As does Andy. --s6

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed the match very much, and yeah I was rooting for Andy!

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Brilliant match. Murray's a shining example of what hard work, determination and the need to keep improving whatever our dreams are. :)

But I think our Andy will be pinching himself for a few days yet (as will we all!)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I thought it would be more of a competition to be honest. But then, maybe Murray should go and shake Del Potro by the hand.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I was kind of joking......

Honestly, do I need to put one of these :brit on every post?

I know Andy didn't have it that easy. I was watching. My point was that I didn't expect Murray to win in 3 sets. I'm not knocking him