PDA

View Full Version : Worst Movie Titles...

Jcomp
01-19-2013, 01:37 AM
There's a movie coming to theaters in 2013 called A Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia. Based on every plot synopsis I've read for it so far, it takes place entirely in Georgia. But they wanted the name recognition from a sub-par horror flick that was moderately successful at the box office, apparently, so they tagged it with the "Haunting in Connecticut" title and made it a "sequel." One with no relation to the previous movie and also (and really, I can't stress this enough) one that takes place entirely in Georgia, not Connecticut. Either these ghosts need to get GPS, or this is a dumb ass movie title.

Sarpedon
01-19-2013, 01:42 AM
"The Last Exorcism: Part 2"

"The Neverending Story: The Final Chapter"

(ok, I made up that second one)

CrastersBabies
01-19-2013, 01:45 AM
“The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”

Jcomp
01-19-2013, 01:47 AM
"The Last Exorcism: Part 2"

Oh yes, I find this one amusing as well. The tagline for this should be, "When we said 'last' exorcism, we meant the 'previous' exorcism."

lefty23
01-19-2013, 01:50 AM
I always hate sequels that just add a 2 to the orginal title. Taken 2, Paranormal Activity 2, etc.

Put a little effort into the title.

BigWords
01-19-2013, 04:59 AM
Either The Ghost In The Invisible Bikini or The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living And Became Mixed-Up Zombies would certainly get into the top ten of any list of dumb titles, but yeah - so many sequels to pick on... :D

Zeddo
01-19-2013, 05:30 AM
And a while back there was Krakatoa, East of Java, which volcano buffs will know is west of Java.

ArachnePhobia
01-19-2013, 06:47 AM
I can think of a lot of weird titles, but so far, only one dumb title (in the way "Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia" is dumb) is coming to mind.

Feardotcom. At least, that's how it was supposed to be said. Back in the day, we used to joke about how it actually read, as written, "Feardotcom dot com." And they kept showing said fictional web address in the movie, just to rub it in.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
01-19-2013, 07:12 AM
And a while back there was Krakatoa, East of Java, which volcano buffs will know is west of Java.

Beat me to it.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
01-19-2013, 07:14 AM
“The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”

Based on a novel. I quite like this one, actually. Way to show an opposing viewpoint in only a few words!

How has no one yet mentioned "Breakin 2, Electric Booglaoo?"

alleycat
01-19-2013, 07:18 AM
The Thir13en Ghosts.

Although it was probably popular with sk8er bois.

Gravity
01-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Monster-A-Go-Go.

And as any Mistie knows, "there was no monster ..."

stray
01-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Final Destination 2.

mario_c
01-19-2013, 09:50 AM
The Thir13en Ghosts.

Although it was probably popular with sk8er bois.Written by AW's own NMStevens! Adapted from a classic Hammer horror IIRC, but back on track...
Avoiding the complete Golden Turkey listing of horrible titles and just sticking to sequel numeric suffix titles:
Highlander 2: The Quickening
City Slickers 2: The Search For Curly's Gold
Star Wars 2: Attack Of The Clones (I always read it as clowns, conjuring the image of a tiny Starfleet ship pulling up and hundreds of clowns piling out of it)
Dinoshark Vs Sharktopus (hell, pretty much 90% of Syfy's oeuvre)

(and before I throw it away, my sig link (http://www.overcompensating.com/posts/20071220.html)has a suggestion :D)

mellymel
01-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Free Willy makes me snort a little.

cornflake
01-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Free Willy makes me snort a little.

That was my thought. I knew a couple of teen boys from the UK visiting America around when that came out who were desperate for posters to bring home.

blacbird
01-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Not yet mentioned (many of my faves already have been):

Snakes on a Plane
Dude, Where's My Car?

and the current:

Gangster Squad

They couldn't come up with anything better than that?

Then there's always Great Expectations, the recent remake reset in modern times, allegedly based on the classic Charles Dickens novel. Probably the most mistitled movie ever, because nobody seems to have had any great expectations for it, and it tanked completely at the box office. Not even the astonishing "novelization" released, having the same title, helped anything.

Yes, Virginia, somebody indeed did produce a "novelization" of a bad movie adaptation of a classic Charles Dickens novel, and used the same title. I saw it in an airport bookshop, right alongside the James Pattersons and Clive Cusslers.

caw

kaitie
01-19-2013, 10:40 AM
The title Snakes on a Plane is my entire motivation for even watching that movie. :D

Chris P
01-19-2013, 11:07 AM
The entire theater burst out laughing when, after the typical gun fights and explosions subsided in the preview for a Steven Seagal film and the title popped up: Exit Wounds.

I personally thought the title for Eastwood's Blood Work was horrible, figuring the man was so old it was going to be two hours of him getting a medical exam. I dreaded the sequel, Prostate Exam. But then I saw the movie and thought the title made perfect sense.

blacbird
01-19-2013, 11:22 AM

Yup. This one needs my seconding. An almost unimaginably stupid title, considering that Krakatoa, West of Java would have worked equally well for a truly baaaaad movie. But at least would have been geographically accurate.

caw

Yeasayer
01-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Based on a novel. I quite like this one, actually. Way to show an opposing viewpoint in only a few words!

I second this.

Let's see...

Hot Tub Time Machine
Hope Floats
Cloverfield
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
The Men Who Stare at Goats

Shadow Dragon
01-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Birdemic. Get it? It's an epidemic of bird. Oh, how clever. [/sarcasm]

J.S.F.
01-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Either The Ghost In The Invisible Bikini or The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living And Became Mixed-Up Zombies would certainly get into the top ten of any list of dumb titles.

---

Hey, those were classics!

Dumb titles? Roger Corman's women's viking saga had the longest title in history--which he mercifully shortened.

Agree on the '2' category. You'd think Hollywood, with all the money and creativity they have at their disposal, would be able to think of a clever or interesting title for a sequel.

Or not.

Chris P
01-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Hope Floats

Hope's not the only thing that floats . . .

How about "The Englishman who went up a hill and came down a mountain." Kind of gives away the ending (although I've not seen it, tbh).

mellymel
01-19-2013, 06:35 PM
I second this.

Let's see...

Hot Tub Time Machine
Hope Floats
Cloverfield
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
The Men Who Stare at Goats

Both of these are pretty horrendous.

crunchyblanket
01-19-2013, 06:59 PM
"Looper". A dull title which doesn't do the film any justice.

BigWords
01-19-2013, 07:16 PM
How about "The Englishman who went up a hill and came down a mountain."

Not the biggest problem that film has...

Kind of gives away the ending (although I've not seen it, tbh).

The ending actually renders the entire film farcical, and as for the alleged truth behind the film... Actually, just watch the ending. So, so stupid to have claimed it was based on a true story.

"Looper". A dull title which doesn't do the film any justice.

Jumper was a much, much worse title. Given how bad the film was, though... :)

cmi0616
01-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Pootie Tang has to be up there.

mellymel
01-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Dick and Jane. I don't know why. I just LOATHE it. I mean, you might as well have a movie called See Spot Run. *shudders*

cbenoi1
01-19-2013, 07:55 PM
The title Snakes on a Plane is my entire motivation for even watching that movie. :D
It was, apparently, the sole motivation for Samuel L. Jackson to play in that movie too.

-cb

J.S.F.
01-20-2013, 02:51 AM
It was, apparently, the sole motivation for Samuel L. Jackson to play in that movie too.

-cb
---

That, and also probably the fat paycheck Nick Fur...er, sorry, Samuel L. Jackson received.:D

Hell, he made that movie. No one does 'self-righteously angry' better than he does. Denzel does do 'self-righteous' better, though.

Other dumbass movie titles:

Wild Orchid 2, Blue Movie Blue (as if the first one wasn't 'wild' enough...or dumb enough...or insulting enough to the viewer's intelligence)

The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. I grew up on Disney and even then thought it a stupid title. I still do.

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! It's Bava, just go with it.

The Boy Who Cried Bitch. I ain't even gonna touch this one.

Rat Pfink-a-Boo-Boo. See above.

BigWords
01-20-2013, 02:59 AM
Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! It's Bava, just go with it.

Not Mario Bava, but Russ Meyer - who I know I am not (in these more enlightened times) meant to like, but still have a sneaking admiration of. :D

J.S.F.
01-20-2013, 03:01 AM
You're right, Big Words.

It's Russ Meyer. Just go with it.

:D

BigWords
01-20-2013, 03:04 AM
I think "just let that one bounce" would be more appropriate...

:roll:

*waits on post being reported*

J.S.F.
01-20-2013, 03:11 AM
I think "just let that one bounce" would be more appropriate...

:roll:

*waits on post being reported*

---

Soitenly!

Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Ken
01-20-2013, 03:59 AM
... "Them," the title of that 50's flick about the giant ants which was rather cool.

CrastersBabies
01-20-2013, 04:13 AM

How has no one yet mentioned "Breakin 2, Electric Booglaoo?"

In a few words huh? :)

maxmordon
01-20-2013, 04:18 AM
How some movies get renamed here. You know "Life of Pi"? I barely recognized since it was retitled here "An Exciting Adventure". So much telling, uh?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
01-20-2013, 07:13 AM
---

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

I love this one so much I have the lunchbox for it. I found it at a little shop in Madison, Wisconsin a few years ago, and it's one of my favorite cool things! :)

mario_c
01-20-2013, 08:08 AM
I love this one so much I have the lunchbox for it. I found it at a little shop in Madison, Wisconsin a few years ago, and it's one of my favorite cool things! :)That is awesome! Russ Meyer was, despite his rather prurient fetish, an eccentric genius of film and a grindhouse pioneer. Mudhoney is a brilliant one from him, and Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls was just hilarious (possibly intentionally).

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
01-20-2013, 09:37 AM
That is awesome! Russ Meyer was, despite his rather prurient fetish, an eccentric genius of film and a grindhouse pioneer. Mudhoney is a brilliant one from him, and Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls was just hilarious (possibly intentionally).

"Taste the black sperm of my destruction!"

Read this yet?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/210972.Big_Bosoms_and_Square_Jaws

It's fabulous.

Celia Cyanide
01-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Russ Meyer was a great filmmaker, and every one of his titles is an awesome one!

BenPanced
01-20-2013, 10:26 AM
The ____________ Movie or __________: The Movie when applied to movies based off TV shows. Hell, they at least tried with Here Come the Nelsons, a feature based on Ozzie and Harriet.

crunchyblanket
01-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Oh, how about "Pirates! In an adventure with Scientists!"

eyeblink
01-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Then there's always Great Expectations, the recent remake reset in modern times, allegedly based on the classic Charles Dickens novel. Probably the most mistitled movie ever, because nobody seems to have had any great expectations for it, and it tanked completely at the box office.

This Alfonso Cuarón fan liked it. Though the reaction at the press show where I first saw it was roughly 50/50 pro/con.

Oh, how about "Pirates! In an adventure with Scientists!"

Or Pirates! Band of Misfits! to give it its US title.

The 1970 film The Sidelong Glances of a Pigeon Kicker takes some beating. It's also known as simply Pigeons.

Smish
01-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Eight Legged Freaks

I would have forgotten the movie long ago if not for the unfortunate title.

Gynn
01-21-2013, 07:59 AM
May I present to you the company known as "The Asylum", they who rip off every popular film with low-budget hack jobs that use nearly the same title: http://www.imdb.com/company/co0043571/?ref_=fn_al_co_1

A few gems:
"Hansel and Gretel", just in time for a similar film starring Jeremy Renner.

"Grimm's Snow White", which came out just in time for a similar film starring the lady from "Twilight".

"Almighty Thor".
"Titanic II".
"Transmorphers".
"The Day the Earth Stopped". (Seriously?)

alleycat
01-21-2013, 08:02 AM
"The Day the Earth Stopped". (Seriously?)

I had to go see if that was real. Yep.

There is also one titled The Day the Earth Stopped Turning.

Panzypanz
01-22-2013, 02:46 AM
How about - Major League: Back to the Minors.
Or
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

J.S.F.
01-22-2013, 11:06 AM
B.A.P.S.--A movie which made Halle Berry look bad--before Catwoman practically destroyed her career.

Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever--How Banderas and Liu wound up in this turkey--and I actually RENTED it!--is beyond me. Maybe they needed a new car or something because not only does this movie have a bad title, it just plain sucked...

Jess Haines
01-23-2013, 12:50 AM

Same. :D

I've always been fond of Manos: The Hands of Fate. Rubber was another oddity. I'm sure I can think of more, but they're not coming to me at the moment.

Yeasayer
01-24-2013, 02:30 AM
B.A.P.S.--A movie which made Halle Berry look bad--before Catwoman practically destroyed her career.

No way! B.A.P.S. is a cult classic.

kenthepen
01-24-2013, 02:33 AM
The title "Snakes on a Plane" is likely the only reason most people saw that movie...

Btw, I worked with Sebastian Gutierrez(who wrote it), and he's a great guy.

MRevelle83
01-25-2013, 10:09 AM
A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell
Tammy and the T-Rex
Death Bed: The Bed That Eats
Attack of the Killer Refrigerator
Monsturd
I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle
Can Hieronymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and find True Happiness?
The Perils of Gwendoline In the Land of the Yik-Yak
Ssssssss
Wheels of Terror
Terrorvision
I Spit on Your Corpse, I Piss on Your Grave
The Stuff

I've seen a lot of b-movie crap. :)

Also, there is one that I won't type here as it is offensive. But, link to IMDb page:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274518/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Jehhillenberg
01-25-2013, 10:47 AM
No way! B.A.P.S. is a cult classic.

YAH! showed her versatility :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm gonna say SPACEBALLS.

I like the movie, but that title just came to mind for the thread. Idk :D

J.S.F.
01-25-2013, 11:24 AM
YAH! showed her versatility :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm gonna say SPACEBALLS.

I like the movie, but that title just came to mind for the thread. Idk :D
---

Boy, you and Yeahsayer are not to believed!

:D

Other tremendously bad movie titles.

Avenging Disco Godfather

Fertilize the Blaspheming Bombshell. Yeah, I can just imagine a kid saying, "Mom, we were just playin' around!"

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians--this would turn ANY kid off Christmas.

Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter--I actually sat through this turkey. Fun trivia fact. One of the actors in this rotten flick--can't remember if it's the muscular dude who becomes the Monster or one of the fighters at the beginning of the flick, had a part in a Star Trek episode, the one where McCoy helps a pregnant woman give birth. (Forgot the title, sorry). He plays one of the fighters who throws a kind of a spinning disc and kills the Klingon at the end.

See, trivia can be fun!

ArachnePhobia
01-25-2013, 06:12 PM
A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell
Tammy and the T-Rex
Death Bed: The Bed That Eats
Attack of the Killer Refrigerator
Monsturd
I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle
Can Hieronymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and find True Happiness?
The Perils of Gwendoline In the Land of the Yik-Yak
Ssssssss
Wheels of Terror
Terrorvision
I Spit on Your Corpse, I Piss on Your Grave
The Stuff

I've seen a lot of b-movie crap. :)

Also, there is one that I won't type here as it is offensive. But, link to IMDb page:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274518/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Where's Surf Nazis Must Die? ;)

Jess Haines
01-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Oh, did anyone mention Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter yet? Heh.

Jehhillenberg
02-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Orgy of the Dead

J.S.F.
02-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Orgy of the Dead
---

Another classic.;)

One of my students told me about D.E.B.S. Not as bad as I thought it would be...not as good, either, but it had some funny moments.

RIP, Michael Clarke Duncan.

Capeless
02-09-2013, 02:24 PM
I really dislike the current Hollywood practice of using common single words as titles:

Drive
Faster
Taken
Moon
Orphan
Paul
Salt
Nine
Buried
ATM
Priest
and so on...