W1S1 2013

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
No one has started a thread yet. So, here it is. Are you doing it again? And what are you going to do differently in 2013?

I am doing the weekly again. I would like to have at least one story picked up this year. Given this is my second time around, I really want to stick with it all the way through. No breaks.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
I successfully did the monthly in 2011 (ended up with 18 new stories) but skipped last year (and ended up with one new story) so I'm back this year, biweekly this time :); got some making up to do!

(I'm actually 'secretly' aiming for 3 stories a month :cool:)

Last edited:

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
I told myself I was signing up for the monthly W1S1, but if I want to finish all the stories on my bulletin board, I will have to write at least 2 or 3/month :)

And that doesn't even take into account all the novels/novellas in my WIP pile.

Over-ambitious, thy name is Mary :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in for my third year of W1S1. In fact, this year I;m one of the moderators of write1sub1.com - so I expect all of you to stop by the site and check in with us there :)

Originally I signed up for the monthy plan, but I already wrote 5 short stories this year (and submitted four of them!) so I'm ahead of the curve and may well end up doing weekly.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wanting to do it, but probably will delay until after I've written this novella in the first quarter of the year. Once that ends, or if things change and I don't end up writing it, I'll be back in W1S1, aiming to average 1 story a month. Until then, I'll still be subbing last year's stories.

W1S1 is great. It's got me into the habit of subbing regularly, helped me get to know markets, get used to rejections without flinching, and find acceptances.

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not signing up this year, although it worked well last year (for the Oct-Dec stretch that I did it). I'm going to make monthly goals for myself. I found last year that before long I was champing at the bit to do something different. (For instance, in November I liked the idea of NaNoWriMo, but didn't want to try to do both at once.)

But I'm still going to try to write at levels of productivity comparable to W1S1, and I'll be hanging around here. :)

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I'd like to try, but with all my novels I am working on it will likely be bimonthly. I already have one under my belt, but I haven't sought submission and probably won't until the next one.

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
Not sure. I tried for monthly last year, and I didn't quite manage to make it, but I did write and sub 10 (actually wrote an 11th, but didn't get it subbed until this year), which is a great feeling, and I did enjoy it.
On the other hand, I'm about 40k words into a novel and I'd really like to get that done, but I've reached the point where I kind of hate it.
Even if I don't set a specific W1S1 goal, I would like to be more active here, at least.

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new here, but last August-Dec was on an accidental Write1Sub1 tear. This year I've got an avalanche of academic writing to do by the end of March, so I'm hoping for monthly until then, and perhaps twice a month after that.

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Well, finally worked up my courage to see how I did in 2012, and wow, what a terrible year. I only finished 3 stories :cry:. I think submitting may actually be a problem for me - I was more productive when I was hoarding stuff on my hard drive - at least there was no rejection involved. Need to develop a thicker skin in 2013.

Mr. Aziz

Registered
Reaction score
I just started. One a month doesn't seem that hard and I'm not running out of ideas. So, I'll try to meet or exceed that goal.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
I joined W1S1 last summer. Not only did the braggage, middling it and rejectomancy threads give me great support, encouragement and commiseration after plodding away subbing things on my own over the past few years, but the forum goals also helped push me to write a few new stories. I'm definitely staying around this year. I plan to do the monthly goal again but with a bit more flexibility as I'm trying to get a new novel done in the first half of this year too.
So, 2013 goals:

1 new short story a month
and/or
1-4 chapters of the new book a month
and
continue submitting all unpublished stories

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in as usual for 1 per month while also working on my novel, good luck to everyone :) hopefully I'll be able to go back to posting more on the boards.

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm in again! W1S1 worked really well for me last year, in terms of motivation; the forums help for camaraderie and comparing notes.

I exceeded my once a month last year. Since starting last June, I wrote and submitted 50+ works, a combination of poetry and short fiction.

I'm trying for once a week this year. Let's see what I can do. :)

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. Just sent off my first 2 of 2013. Last year was rough as I started a 'day job' ... but I think I have my act together now.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Trying for a monthly short story. Most of which will be finishing my backlog of stuff including a half-dozen novellas that have been begging for attention.

Also working on another novel while I wait for an agent to pick up the first one. Should be more than enough to keep me occupied.

kenlarsen

Professional Weirdo
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in for 1 short story a month. I also hope to finish the first draft of my novel and outline another.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in, trying to do the monthly but also writing my novel(la). Have nine out now, more in the editing queue. Want to be more focused this year.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to do the monthly but I'm starting the final year of my PhD and will probably be doing mostly that for the next twelve months. I guess I'd like to join on an as-and-when basis, which really defeats the purpose, doesn't it? Oh well. Can I be here with you guys in spirit?

Mrs. de Winter

Eating cookies
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying the monthly one. Between being a full-time student and taking care of my two young children, I'm not sure how well it's going to go. But I'm trying!

plunderpuss

Patron Saint of Sarcasm
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkshark.net
(Oops! I posted in the 2012 thread before I saw this one... Can someone with adhesive superpowers sticky this, so it's up top?)

Hi, everybody!

I shared my 2013 writing goals with Eliza C in an e-mail, and she suggested I check out this sub-forum. For a moment I was like, "Huh? I'm not doing W1S1," but then I realized that my monthly goals totally qualified. hahaha :) So I guess I am!

I'm too busy to play on AW as much as I'd like (I could literally spend all day in Query Hell if I let myself), so my involvement is likely to remain somewhat unofficial. But I'll try to check in here at least every month, because I am always cheered by seeing other people's progress. Good luck on meeting your goals!

I'm ahead so far for January. I don't suppose my excess will roll over to the next month? ;) hahaha!

New stories: 1
Revised: 2
Submitted: 5

Xenospora

What is this... I don't even...
Registered
Reaction score
New member here. I've never done W1/S1 but it sounds like a good way to get more productive. I have a backlog of short stories that I haven't finished or polished.

I think I'd have to go biweekly, not weekly though. Although weekly would be quite the challenge.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Xeonospora!

Try for weekly, in order to challenge yourself. If it's too much, you can always readjust to bi-weekly or monthly. Remember, there's no one here to enforce the 'rules' -- the only thing that matters is the extra motivation and camaraderie you can get out of this ;)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Last year was mostly a fail for me, between moving, getting my old house fixed up and on the market, and botched shoulder surgery. I did decide to write a novel, although to be honest most of the progress I've made has been since the new year.

Anyway, my goal for 2013 is to finish and sub this novel, and also finish and sub at least 6 shorts. That seems like it should be do-able.