Thoughts about formatting print books

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaggieDana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maggiedana.com
Today, I was formatting an e-book for a client and trying not to tear my hair out over her sweet-natured ignorance of Word’s style features that sent the whole project into an e-meltdown. (This is a whole other subject for another thread: Authors Who Abuse Microsoft Word; conversely, there could be an even more interesting thread about how MS Word abuses authors!)

So, when this e-project came to a grinding halt (I have a phone date scheduled with client to discuss solutions for formatting issues), I switched gears and began doing page layout for my latest print book. And I was reminded, yet again, what a time-consuming, futzy process it is, and how confusing it must be for newcomers.

I’ve been doing print-book layout professionally for 30+ years, for Big-6 pubs and a few smaller ones, as well as my own, both fiction and trade non-fiction. I’d like to say I can do it with my eyes closed, but that would be stretching credulity … just a bit.

Print book production is not ‘push-button’ technology. Never mind what the tub-thumpers tell you, it is a craft and it takes time to learn, much like plumbing, dressage (I’m a horsewoman), and being a journeyman electrician. I would not want to trust my home’s electrical system to a noob who’d ginned up for a couple of weeks via a Dummies’ book and a LEGO circuitry board. And, OK, to forestall those who’ll jump in and say having a wonky print book is not in the same league as having faulty wiring, I will agree. I’m just making an analogy here about professionals who learn their craft and charge others accordingly for their expertise.

So then I got to thinking about authors who use templates from CreateSpace (or try to make their own) and how bewildering the whole process must appear. I see endless questions in forums from confused authors who’re trying to cope with industry buzz words such as font and leading, recto and verso, headers and page numbers, gutters, margins, and bleed, along with the mysteries of pages that (in some CS layouts) appear to flip from left to right without warning. The list goes on, but I’ll stop here.

This is not the language of normal people. For most of us, it’s like trying to learn brain surgery by watching SCRUBS. If I were in these authors’ shoes, I’d be racing for help … to the nearest book designer/typesetter.

This stuff is complicated, never mind the blogs and websites that tell you can be a typesetter in just a few hours and that recommend you buy InDesign or Quark (which are heavy-duty software programs for page layout purposes), or another piece of software (often of dubious quality) that’s not quite up to the task.

Typesetting is a craft that’s learned slowly and carefully over many years, preferably from a mentor who knows how to do it. Mine was an old-time hot-lead typesetter who schooled me in the relatively (back then) new technology of ‘cold type’ that I learned thoroughly and then transferred (in the mid-1980s) to the brand-spanking new Mac/laser printer/PageMaker technology that what was then called Desktop Publishing, never mind it was (to us ‘old time’ typesetters) a bit of a misnomer, given we were typesetters, not publishers.

Sorry folks, but it takes years of hard work to get it right. A typesetter’s experienced eye is trained to spot all sorts of things most people don’t … loose lines, ladders, too tight/too loose kerning and/or letterspacing, widows and orphans, inappropriate font/leading, unbalanced spreads, too short/too long a line length, too tight/too loose leading, and a whole other list of typographical sins that will affect a reader’s experience.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
That's a lovely post, Maggie. Thank you.

Maggie wrote a guest post for my blog a couple of years ago: here's a link to it.

aibrean

Author, Designer, Imaginative Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
Wholeheartedly agree! That's why I recommend for authors who want to self-pub and aren't a designer (because you pretty much have to be to typeset properly) to hire one (specifically one who has a forte in print). I don't recommend utilizing the company's services because they are overpriced for what they do and they will nickel and dime you for changes.

It's a lot easier for a designer to pick up how to properly typeset because these things are all common in layout design, especially when you get into publication design such as magazines and catalogs. That said, even some designers don't know what they are doing. For instance, I had a project come in from a frazzled musician who needed her CD artwork redone to fit the printer template (they all vary a little). When I opened the files, I realized the designer had not used printer spreads for the booklets (which were saved individually as reading-order spreads in a PSD). It took a substantial time to redo because I had to not only get the artwork in printer spreads, but the lyrics as well and they didn't always fit with the new graphic. An established designer with a credible portfolio is going to be familiar with all of the terminology and processes needed to typeset a book.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Note that there's a big difference between a designer and a typesetter, and employing a designer to typeset your books might well be as disastrous as employing a typesetter to design them for you.

aibrean

Author, Designer, Imaginative Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
I know - it's a science. My point was that an experienced designer who is familiar with multi-page layout is going to be able to pick up typesetting better than your average joe.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, sorry--I understand now. Yeppers. A designer is going to do a better job than an untrained writer, but a typesetter would still do a better job.

It's so important to get things right when publishing, whether using a trade press or self publishing. Readers can be very generous about some things, but when they pay for books which don't give them a rewarding experience they will remember.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
My dad was a hot-lead typsetter for four decades, most of those with the Providence Journal. It got to the point where he could typeset 3.5 justified lines per minute, typical newspaper column width, which was about the fastest there. Doing it on a line-by-line basis they didn't worry about kerning/rivers/ladders. It was all done with variable spacing between words. Dad's biggest joy about his job was catching and correcting errors in spelling and grammar that the proofreaders let through. But I prate.

I suppose I'm a bit of a contrarian concerning print book layout, but as a reader I prefer left justified and ragged right. Too many years of reading engineering reports and construction specifications, I suppose. So I did my print books like that. I believe this is easier for reading since the spacing is exactly what is expected, rather than the variable spacing and other problems that occur with full justification if advanced typesetting skills are not applied.

Whether my ragged right will jump up and bite me someday I don't know, but it's my preference and practice.

NDG

Status
Not open for further replies.