PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Versions of Dante's Inferno

chloecomplains
01-18-2013, 12:35 AM
My current WIP has a component of it loosely based on Dante's Inferno. I read it in college and remember enough of it to get by, but I'd like a refresher, just to see if there any little tidbits that would be nice to include. Are there any good film versions of it that I can use? I'm fine with a movie, series, cartoon, it can even be a comic book; I just want something a little less intense than sifting through the entire epic poem.

Buffysquirrel
01-18-2013, 12:55 AM
If you rely on an adaptation, how can you be sure what you use is original to Dante? If you copy someone's copyrighted work, there could be trouble.

Cella
01-18-2013, 12:57 AM
I'd suggest reading it again.

That was the first book I remember reading that I couldn't put down. In fact, I think I might pick it up again, myself. Thanks for the reminder and good luck with your work!

blacbird
01-18-2013, 01:34 AM
Absolutely read it again. As long as you are using "aspects" of Dante's work, and not quoting directly from a copyright-protected translation, you won't have any legal issue. But any modern "adaptation" might not be faithful to Dante's original, and taking a detail from one of those could be problematic.

caw

RichardGarfinkle
01-18-2013, 01:50 AM
Read the whole divine comedy, not just the inferno. It's one of the finest works ever written.

onesecondglance
01-18-2013, 02:03 AM
If you find reading it hard work, try saying it aloud. It really helps it flow.