PDA

View Full Version : How Soon to Remind an Agent?

dsoul700
01-14-2013, 07:37 PM
I got a response mail from an agent a week ago, expressing interest in my work. She informed me to send her a sample as well as a synopsis and short bio of myself, all of which I did. She told me she was traveling at the time, however she would look at my work and get back at me soonest.

It's been a week now, and I don't know if I should send the agent an email just to remind her about me, or should I continue to wait?

Terie
01-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Generally, 6 to 8 weeks after the longest time their website says it takes to receive a reply. If their website doesn't state a timeframe, assume a 3-month turnaround, then add the 6 to 8 weeks to that before nudging.

IOW, start working on another project to save your sanity. The publishing industry makes glacier drift look speedy. :)

Barbara R.
01-14-2013, 07:59 PM
I got a response mail from an agent a week ago, expressing interest in my work. She informed me to send her a sample as well as a synopsis and short bio of myself, all of which I did. She told me she was traveling at the time, however she would look at my work and get back at me soonest.

It's been a week now, and I don't know if I should send the agent an email just to remind her about me, or should I continue to wait?

What Terie said. And keep submitting till some agent slips a ring on your finger.

mayqueen
01-14-2013, 08:12 PM
A week feels like an eternity when you are waiting to hear back, but it's not. In fact, you may not hear back at all. It happens. Mark your calendar for three months from the date you sent it to send a follow-up. In the meantime, keep sending out queries and start something new.