PDA

View Full Version : The Cookie Sheet Poll - in the AW tradition.

KellyAssauer
01-13-2013, 04:34 AM
My niece is getting married ‘sometime soon’ and there has been a ragging family debate on just how many baking sheets (She’s asked specifically for baking stuff) should be given as presents, or just how many baking sheets any one person really needs??

So in the tradition of “You know you’ve been at AW too long” when you understand the strange poll answer options...

I thought I’d initiate, er, um...
toss this silly question out to the members.

How many baking sheets does one person need?

*bizarre alternative answers are expected*

Billtrumpet25
01-13-2013, 04:36 AM
How often do they plan on baking? :D

jjdebenedictis
01-13-2013, 04:50 AM
Serious answer: One works, but two is better.

Non-serious answer: If you're glue-gunning them to the ceiling to keep the aliens from controlling your thoughts, quite a few.

alleycat
01-13-2013, 05:41 AM
A serious answer is a home baker needs a variety of small to large baking pans (and racks); 8x8 or 9x9, 9x13, loaf pans, etc.

Stlight
01-13-2013, 05:55 AM
At least four, because you always need one more than you thought and strange and evil things happen in kitchens. I'd also go with AC's answer. Definitely two different sizes of cake pans, but two of each size - seriously.

Lavern08
01-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Two.

One for actually baking cookies.

One (larger) to place under a pie or two to catch any spillage.

Personally, I'd give her a pair of *bedazzled* oven mitts to go with. ;)

Liralen
01-13-2013, 06:59 AM
Are you sure she didn't want bacon sheets?

Seriously, a couple of good professional type airbake cookie sheets, maybe a smaller one, and four 9" cake pans. If she's serious about baking she'll want to be able to make four layer cakes and be able to weigh them out to make sure they're even. For starters. There is no such thing as too many baking accoutrements!

A couple of different sized stainless offset frosting spatulas too.

MaryMumsy
01-13-2013, 07:02 AM
I have no cookie sheets. I have 4 pizza pans, they are much more versatile. Also a large sheet type pan with edges about 1 inch deep. That's the one I cook bacon on in the oven. And I second or third or whatever about cooling racks.

MM

Cliff Face
01-13-2013, 07:08 AM
Actually, Mary, I use a pizza pan for all my oven-cooking goodness too.

I think we have 2, but we use alfoil over this one to prevent it from getting all icky. Some meals barely affect the alfoil, some are instant "replace alfoil!" nightmares. It's the latter that give me reason to use alfoil. :tongue

And I agree - you can cook most things on a normal pizza tray, whereas the other trays we have won't fit a pizza.

Note: I don't bake cookies, muffins or cakes, but if I did, I'd probably use other trays. :)

alleycat
01-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Really, if someone want baking cookware for their wedding gift there is no shortage of options.

Buy some good quality stuff and they will enjoy it for a long time to come.

Liralen
01-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Oh! One of my new favorites is one of those mini-muffin sheets. I use it often, and love it especially for making brownies.

Third on the cooling racks.

The 1" sheet pan (jellyroll pan) is definitely handy.

alleycat
01-13-2013, 07:19 AM
For muffin pans and similar, the Wilton stuff is generally pretty good.

Bookewyrme
01-13-2013, 07:22 AM
At least three cookie sheets, a pizza pan, one 9in casserole dish, 1 8x8 square glass dish, 2 of each size loaf pan, 2-4 muffin tins, 2 pie plates...and don't forget the cooling racks! At least 2 good-sized ones. I use all of them routinely (though I don't have quite as many as I've listed, sadly).

Stlight
01-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Cooling racks, totally forgot them and they are so important. Without the cooling racks what you bake gets weird.

Pot holders are good too. If you got her two or three things you could put a pot holders between each one in the gift box, or oven mitts in the corners of the box. An aloe plant might be nice, too.

Just saying.

alleycat
01-13-2013, 07:52 AM
We are ruining this thread by posting serious comments!

This has to stop.

Stlight
01-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Kitchens are scary places. The thought of them makes people serious.

BenPanced
01-13-2013, 08:02 AM
We are ruining this thread by posting serious comments!

This has to stop.
booooooooooooogers!

jjdebenedictis
01-13-2013, 08:58 AM
I'll ditto the fact that pizza pans serve just fine for cookies, biscuits, and catching pie eruptions.

However, this is not what someone serious about baking is looking for. My airfoil sheets are pretty awesome for cookies (and there's nothing wrong with rectangular pizza, either.)

True story: I'm currently making do with one airfoil cookie sheet because my husband is using my other one as a shelf in one of our cupboards. This is what one does when one moves to a new place with a smaller kitchen--one finds dowels and jury-rigs a cubbyhole for the popcorn popper to live in.

And me refraining from making cookies until we get a shelf cut to the right size is, of course, simply not an option.

kenthepen
01-13-2013, 09:22 AM
We also just moved into a house with a smaller kitchen, less than half the cabinet space, and a TINY stove.

Right now we only have one too-small rectangular sheet(and yet it just barely fits in the oven) and one round sheet. Ah well, there's alway aluminininiuuuuminium(for our British friends) foil.

So the best answer? Get a bigger oven.

Cliff Face
01-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Or eat smaller meals.

Oh, who am I kidding? Bigger oven, stat!

Shadow_Ferret
01-13-2013, 10:33 AM
At least 4. For some cookies, you need to chill the pans, so you'd have two you're putting the cookies on, then when they go in the oven, you remove the other two that are chilling and load them up. Hmm. Maybe you need 6 then. 2 in the oven, 2 on the table getting cookies, and 2 chilling. Yeah. 6.

Xelebes
01-13-2013, 11:46 AM
All else fails, cover all the bases; get metric ones!

Chris P
01-13-2013, 12:02 PM
I was giving this tons of thought until I realized "Hey, I don't have an oven."

LaurieD
01-13-2013, 12:21 PM
At least 4 if she's into baking more than one type of cookie at a time.

I've used rectangular pizza sheets and airfoil rectangular sheets and hafta say the airfoils have been awesome.

BigWords
01-13-2013, 06:41 PM
*bizarre alternative answers are expected*

As you already expected something like this...

Fire extinguishers.

I'm serious. The kitchen is a terrifying and deadly place, and a small household fire extinguisher is something which is both practical and thoughtful - though you might not want to imply that the giving of such an item is indicative of your thoughts on her cooking.

:popcorn:

kenthepen
01-13-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm not familiar with these "airfoil" sheets. What kind of payload to surface-area ratios are we talking here? And don't you need a really large oven for runways?

PorterStarrByrd
01-13-2013, 06:57 PM
I said one to catch the drippings but, since we should NEVER throw out drippings, and it takes a while to get enough to make a roaster pan full of gravy, we need one for each type of meat we bake (why waste the oven time on cakes,pies, and cookies?) there should be one for each flavor, starting with bacon, which is what the word 'baking' derived from.

Elaine Margarett
01-13-2013, 07:00 PM
I have more than four and of various sizes. I use them for all manner of cooking, baking and broiling.

I also have different sizes of racks. They can be used for cooling and baking.

kenthepen
01-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Wait a sec- wait a sec. Have I slipped down the rabbit hole into some kind of alternative slang-filled metaphorical wonderland?

What are we REALLY talking about?????

SWest
01-13-2013, 07:38 PM
No thread about newlyweds, sheets and racks is complete without this one word:

Silicone.

:D

PorterStarrByrd
01-13-2013, 07:47 PM
slippery slope?

kenthepen
01-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Not sure, but I think the silicone is on the inside. But why? Is it a greased-pig kind of thing?

Ambrosia
01-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Actually, the silicone liners are wonderful. Oven mitts are something another gift-giver might not think of with "baking" gifts. And, I second the fire extinguisher. It's the little things that make a difference in a well-stocked kitchen.

alleycat
01-14-2013, 02:24 AM
There is always that perennial favorite . . . the cheese set.

Liralen
01-14-2013, 02:41 AM
To go with the fondue set?

jjdebenedictis
01-14-2013, 02:45 AM
No one needs cookies if they have a chocolate fountain. I'm just sayin'.

kenthepen
01-14-2013, 06:33 AM
Cookies would go perfectly with a chocolate fountain. What's wrong with cookies? You don't like cookies? Send 'em to me. I'll take care of 'em. I'll love 'em, kiss 'em... bite them tenderly, lovingly, take them slowly into my mouth, feeling them melt on my tongue, the crumbs sliding down next to my tongue and down my throat.........

Just...(gasp!)...sayin'

alleycat
01-14-2013, 06:43 AM
To go with the fondue set?

I think those have fallen out of favor just a bit.

Although . . . everyone does need a fondue set.

Bookewyrme
01-14-2013, 06:43 AM
pie eruptions.

I dunno why, but this struck me as dirty and made me giggle. Deliciously dirty, as a matter of fact...

No one needs cookies if they have a chocolate fountain. I'm just sayin'.
My dream home has a permanent chocolate fountain. But I would totally dip my cookies in it too...
:e2cookie: