Mainstream kink

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I was musing the other day about what I could do to spice up some of my sex scenes. iIcould use some opinions on what would be kinks in the acceptable-but-a-bit-naughty range for epublished erotica and erotic romance (plotted narrative but 10-25% sex scenes).

I would guess:

YES TO:--
mild domination
mild bondage or bondage with plot justificiation
spanking/whipping
Sex in a public place
role play (pretend rape even)
voyeurism
clothes fetish -- fur, corsets etc

NO TO:--
scat/golden showers
anything causing physical damage to the pont of bleeding (excepting vampires)
object fetish

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I would say sex in a public place...The story i'm working on has that... I like voyeurism as well..

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think voyeurism and clothing fetish might suit most stories without being too far over the line.

When our daughter was doing Goth clubbing, she got some wonderful corsets online--but the sites also sold fetishwear of a very different sort.

Maryn, whose kids' closets contain almost all black

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
The first thing that comes to my mind is...do you like Special Victims Unit, Vein?

Even though it is Law and Order, which are the kind of shows I don't usually like, I like SVU because it deals with the crimes that people find too tough to handle. If you tune into a few eps, you might get some ideas.

For heavy subject matter it certainly is popular!

I'll think of more later, I'm sure.

Kristin

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am not much into SVU but I have got some ideas from CSI--I think furry lifestyling would be a great setting for a story.

I had a chat with one personal about fisting as a light kink. I would say 'too much' for most ero rom?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a story with fisting that a long-defunct writing group saw. A few (of the dozen or so) thought it was gross and over-the-top, even though it was described fairly delicately.

Go figure, huh?

Maryn, who has trouble seeing the rationale of other people's boundaries at times

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know. That's one of the pages with drool on it! (And the best compliment I ever got on my erotica was the Anne Rice better watch her back.)

Maryn, who should've read it under Saran Wrap or something

MonicaBurns

veinglory said:
I was musing the other day about what I could do to spice up some of my sex scenes. iIcould use some opinions on what would be kinks in the acceptable-but-a-bit-naughty range for epublished erotica and erotic romance (plotted narrative but 10-25% sex scenes).

I would guess:

YES TO:--
mild domination
spanking/whipping
Sex in a public place
voyeurism

NO TO:--
scat/golden showers
anything causing physical damage to the pont of bleeding (excepting vampires)
object fetish

When you say mainstream, are you talking about NY houses? If so, I can only speak to the houses that publish erotic romance. It's important to note that erotic romance and erotica are two entirely different things.

While there is still disagreement among a large number of writers in the two genres, the definition I'm offering here seems to be the most popular viewpoint of erotic romance and erotica writers.
IMHO and that of many others, erotic romance and erotica are two completely different animals.

Erotic romance contains intense sexual scenes between two individuals who are falling in love or are in love. It MUST have a happy ending and love is the ultimate focus of the relationship and the work.

Erotica is where the sex is based on emotion and NOT a relationship. The emotion can be anger, hate, love, greed, etc. Erotica is about the emotion that motivates the instances of sex, not necessarily the relationship, although relationships may or may not evolve in these types of works. Additionally, the work doesn't have to have a happy ending, unlike erotic romance, where a happy ending is essential.

This is not to say that either one of these genres is good or bad, simply that they are different. The issue then becomes---WHEN does a writer cross the line?

In the case of the original question asked, I think the following are pretty standard in erotica, except for the pretend rape. That's going to be a touchy topic, but if it's pulled off right it might pass the mark. The only thing I've NOT read in print erotic romance was the clothes fetish.

mild domination
spanking/whipping
Sex in a public place
voyeurism

As for erotica, all of these are fine, but again with the caveat that a pretend rape had better be written exceptionally well in order for it not to make an editor go uh oh!

Monica

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I read a paperback very recently (Harlequin Blaze) where the boyfriend pretended to be a burglar and climb in and 'assault' the girl to fullfil her fantasy. As long as it is actually consentual (pretend rape) it doesn't cross any lines--just like werewolves don't count as beastiality etc.