• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

FRA / Futerman, Rose & Associates (Guy Rose)

Ty T

Hi I was wondering if any of you writers could help me

At present Futurman Rose and The Transatlantic Literary Agency both are interested in working with me

Which in your opinion is the better agency?

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any updated info on this agency?

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
please help!!

I got a request for a full, exclusive for 10 days, from these guys. What would you do in my situation? Is the blog post above a massive red flag? It was a ridiculously fast response too, within 2 hours of me sending the sample. red flag? should I send, or run? There are authors on the site who are selling, and some to big pubs.... arrrgh.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Predators and Editors list them with a big, red, "not recommended." It's not a place I would give my MS to, but you have to make your own decision.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
They certainly have some prestigious clients and sell to major publishers.
You'll need to exercise your own judgement, but if you get a rejection similar to the one linked to above then I would terminate the conversation there.

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely if money is mention they shall not see me for dust. I was just working my way through the handbook, their website seems legit, and when I got a reply I thought to check here. Glad I did! I shall proceed with caution. I wonder if it is a con, and they say this to all queries?

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
A very odd agency. They've got some middling-well-known clients, most of whom are known for things other than writing books.

(Dear me. Until this moment, I'd somehow missed knowing that Iain Duncan Smith published a novel. Apparently it's best known for getting uniformly terrible reviews. Even Ann Widdecombe and Edwina Currie had trouble finding something nice to say about it.)

(Tra-la.)

FRA are all over the map. They've sold books to prestigious publishing houses and bottom-feeders. As GothicAngel pointed out, they've sent out at least one letter that I would never have imagined a real agency sending a client. Their site enthusiastically features a list of film and television projects that are "in development" (that and three bucks will get you a small cappuccino), but I'm not seeing any mention of projects greenlighted or released.

You know what? I'm guessing that (1.) the original partners are doing little or no business; (2.) Guy Rose is the only active volcano in the chain; (3.) Rose doesn't know much about being a literary agent; and (4.) he's got lots of social connections to B-list and C-list celebrities, out-of-power politicians, London barristers with literary ambitions, and extremely miscellaneous others.

What I'm not seeing in his client list: more than a scattering of mere literary nobodies who just write books. I wouldn't bother with him. We're not part of his regular diet, and I can't imagine him wanting or knowing how to manage plain old writing careers.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I would carry on at this point, but ask a lot of questions if they offer you representation.

PennyR

Registered
Reaction score
Futerman Rose

I am aware of the thread on here a few years ago about questionable practices at Futerman Rose. Anyone any update on this? I have been offered representation and am now hesitating about accepting it

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Well, here's the thread you were talking about: <snipped>

Other than that, I don't know anything, but usually when a publisher or an agency has a bad reputation for certain practices, those practices continue.

Last edited by a moderator:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The new guy Dan Herron has a solid background at major agencies

writera

Registered
Reaction score
The new guy Dan Herron has a solid background at major agencies

Do you know what other agencies he was with?

Thinking of adding this agency to my to-query list as looking for good UK agencies, but can't find out much about them, or about this agent you mentioned. Also, some of the comments concerning them from earlier in this thread are a bit worrisome, so not sure what to think!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Do you know what other agencies he was with?

Thinking of adding this agency to my to-query list as looking for good UK agencies, but can't find out much about them, or about this agent you mentioned. Also, some of the comments concerning them from earlier in this thread are a bit worrisome, so not sure what to think!

I think it is significant the there are now only two agents in the organisation. I presume that the agents that were referred to in the 2014 postings above have retired/moved on/given up.
Dan Herron was with Curtis Brown and PFD - third item down on their news page http://www.futermanrose.co.uk/latestnews.html

Last edited: