Starving Bachelors-Tips that Actually Work

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose that other thread will apply to us sometime in our lives, but for the time being we are starving bachelors living in dirty apartments with no one to keep us company but our dogs. What is your tip for being a starving bachelor? Here are a few of mine:

Ramen Noodles- in a pinch there is always something to eat, I am a fan of the liquid based diet. . . ramen is a good cure for the hangover blues.

Crackers- keep a box of wheat thins handy in case of munchies.

Frozen, non-perishable items- It seems like the grocery stores are geared to people who have more than one mouth to feed, as bachelors we often buy something eat some of it then watch as the rest of it goes bad. Hot Pockets and chicken pot pies are a tasty meal in a bind. Also, so as to counter balance the carbohydrate based diet of most bachelors it is wise to buy a big bag of frozen chicken breasts when you just need protein.

Train Dog to Clean- Get your pup to tidy up while you are out, its gotta earn its keep one way or another. (In case you don't have a dog, hire a small robot)

BYOB- Often we would like to go out to the bar and have a good time, but are limited with funds. Keep beer and at home, drink until the cusp of drunkeness then walk to your closests bar and impress the ladies.

Stay organized- Clothes everywhere? Dishes running amuck? Find a system that works and keeps things out of the way. Metal shelves work for me to keep my wardrobe located in one corner of the room.

Find a Girlfriend- when all else fails a woman can help you out of your rut and send you on the way towards (cringe) domestication. . .

So, my friends. What do you do to stay fed and healthy in today's high stress world of bachelordom? Let's here what you got to say.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Hubby says, from when he was a bachelor:

Bachelor Stew: (I hate this stuff, but he still loves it)
1 package of beef flavored Ramen noodles
1/2 pound of hamburger
1 package of brown gravy

Cook the ramen noodles with the seasoning and brown the hamburger separately.
Mix them together and add a cup of water and the package of gravy.

Pita sandwiches: They're versatile and you can eat them while you run out the door. He used to make scrambled eggs, throw in cheese and whatever meat happened to be in the fridge then stuff it into the pita.

Frozen burritos

Hot Pockets

Cereal

Never run out of pepsi and never run out of milk.

He always kept a huge tub of protein mix to make smoothies.

When all else fails, order pizza.

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe there should be a thread for 101 recipes for Ramen. This one is great - almost as good as your favourite Chinese restaurant soup.

Sexed Up Ramen Soup

2 pkgs chicken RAmen soup with seasonings
4 cups water
1/2 pkg frozen oriental veggie mix
handful of shrimp, or finely cut up chicken breast or both (you can use left overs as well - put it in at the end to heat)
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp of ginger paste
1 tsp of fermented black bean paste
Oriental chili sauce, or chili flakes to your taste
handful of cilantro
chopped green onions

Bring water to boil with soup seasonings, garlic, ginger, chili and black beans add chicken or shrimp boil a minute or so (if your chicken is finely cut it cooks quickly) add your veggies bring to boil add noodles. Cook 2 minutes Remove from heat add cilantro and green onion. If you like Hot and Sour Soup at 1 Tbs of rice vinegar.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, my poor kids eat like starving bachelors.

*Note to guys, don't marry someone like me who doesn't really like to cook*

WerenCole

Registered
Reaction score
StoryGirl, for the record I am a chef by profession. . . I'm just broke :cry:

Yes, you can do lots of things with ramen. That is where the frozen chicken in the freezer often comes in handy. Mixed with a little mire poix and you have yourself a stew. It may be unfair to give a negative connotation to ramen noodles for the fact that they are cheap. They are really no different than buying any other kind of asian noodle. I like soba noodles myself.

I also thought if was funny that Hot Pockets seem to be popular among people on the go. . . I really don't like most of the ones they offer, just the Pepperoni pizza kind, which I am quite fond of.

I am pretty sure that the young bachelor(ette) is an under represented segment of the population here at AW, but please do share more thoughts on coping in a single life style capacity.

(grasshopper)

Registered
Reaction score
Ramen-ghetti:

1/2 lb hamburger
1 14-oz can tomato sauce
1 pkg beef ramen

Brown hamburger and drain.
Add tomato sauce.
Add spice packet from ramen.
Heat until bubbly.

Boil ramen in water until soft then drain.
Put ramen in a bowl and add tomato/meat sauce.

I usually make this up using a pound of hamburger meat (under two dollars if you look hard) and a 28 oz can of tomato sauce (99 cents at my local Food-4-Less) and two packages of ramen (20 cents). It makes two solid meals for a little over three bucks.

Add sauteed onions and garlic if available. A cube of beef bullion doesn't hurt.

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
It's been my experience, that single women don't cook that much for themselves. I think by nature we are more snackers and grazers than a "sit down to eat a large regular meal" type people, as men are. I was a very good cook, but I rarely cooked for myself - prefering to have things like cheese and crackers, soup, veggies and dip, scrambled eggs, pasta, fruit, yoghurt or even cereal. On the odd time that I did, it would be chicken. I know that I would revert if I was single again - with the exception perhaps the addition of some frozen microwaveable meals.

I did know how to stretch a dollar though. I lived in a bachelor apt. I bought all of my clothes (and furniture) on sale or from yard sales, the Sally Ann or Goodwill (some really great stuff there). I stuck to classics - not trendy. I did not buy stuff I didn't need or impulsively. I did not have cable tv, no magzine or newspaper subscriptions - I borrowed from the library. I did not own a car which is a huge expense. I imagine if I had to do it again I would own a computer for WP, but go to the library to use their internet if I needed. I also had only one credit card, with an extremely low limit.

The funny thing was, I never felt poor or deprived.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Ramen may be one popular option for people with no money, but let's not forget one of the most popular ones worldwide: Beans! They're nutritious, low in fat, and popular in virtually every Third World country you can think of. Here's my favorite bean recipe:

Bean Chili
1 to 2 cups pinto beans
2 onions
Chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic, and hot sauce to taste
Can of diced tomatoes (optional)
1 pound of whatever ground meat was on sale (optional)

Put the beans in a pot with plenty of water to cover and bring to a boil. Toss in one of the onions whole and add spices to taste. Boil for 1-2 hours until the beans seem nearly done. Fish out the onion and throw it away.

Peel and dice the second onion. Brown the meat, if you're using it, along with some salt in a frying pan. Add the meat, onion, and tomatoes, and cook for another 10 minutes or so.

Note that I usually don't bother soaking the beans.

Deleted member 42

MadScientistMatt said:
Ramen may be one popular option for people with no money, but let's not forget one of the most popular ones worldwide: Beans! They're nutritious, low in fat, and popular in virtually every Third World country you can think of.

I give you Grad Student Chili

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chinese restaurant for the $5.50 lunch combo special. Eat the soup and eggroll and a little of the main course and take the rest to go. You then have 3 to 4 days of main course you can cut into separate meals with rice, spaghetti, brocolli, shrimp cheap chicken and stew beef. For variety get chow mein one day and beef & brocolli the next.

Chicken wings are cheap too.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
These are actual things I cooked up when I was younger, single, and on a limited budget:

Cheese burritos: smear a little salsa on a tortilla, add a slice of processed cheese, fold up and melt in microwave. If you want to get fancy, toss a few onions or a little cheese on top. Alternative version is quesdillas - use tortillas with cheese and salsa in the middle and brown on both sides in a skillet.

If you like ham sandwiches, don't pay $5.99 and up a pound in the deli but watch for sales on boneless hams at the supermarket. Ask the butcher to slice thin or shave (most will for no extra charge) and buy some good ziplock baggies. Divide the meat into them, freeze all but one or two and use for months. Cheap but good sandwich meat!

Loose hamburger (I learned this one from my dad)....just brown a pound of hamburger (ground turkey or pork work too), season a little, drain the grease and eat. This can be served over bread too and my husband says in his version, he dumped cheese into the meat to melt.

Tacoburger - season a pound of hamburger with taco seasoning, then store (but use in few days unless you freeze some) to use in tacos, on buns as a sort of sloppy joe (or jose), in burritos, with eggs, etc.

For a filling meal, get a can of good soup (like Progresso) and serve over some rice. By using rice, you can get at least two meals out of one can of soup.

Then there's always Hamburger Helper - I've seen smaller boxes designed for one or two.

WerenCole

Registered
Reaction score
rtilryarms said:
Chinese restaurant for the $5.50 lunch combo special. Eat the soup and eggroll and a little of the main course and take the rest to go. You then have 3 to 4 days of main course you can cut into separate meals with rice, spaghetti, brocolli, shrimp cheap chicken and stew beef. For variety get chow mein one day and beef & brocolli the next.

Chicken wings are cheap too.

Ha! Thats great, I have the same theory on chinese food. Sometimes my friend will wonder why I am getting 15-20$ in chinese delivery, but they don't realize that I am eating for five days off it. I have heard people say that once you get chinese food, you need to eat all of it because its just so yummy. (Her quote and I didn't like her all that much) My thoughts were to the contrary, chinese food is made specifically for left overs. It is another form of grocery shopping in my world. A lesser extent with pizza, because other people tend to pilfer slices from the fridge, but same principal.

Also, I hate chicken wings.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Beans N Franks: 1 can of van de camps pork & beans in a bowl, zap it for 2 minutes in the microwave. Either microwave or boil in water how ever many hot dogs you want, cut them up, and then toss them in the bowl of beans & mix.

My wife hates it, but I still love it.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
English Muffin Pizzas

Split English muffins and place on a cookie sheet
Spread with pizza sauce (homemade is best, but the stuff in jars is okay)
Coat with shredded Mozzarella
Throw on toppings (whatever you like/have)
Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese melts

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. And the mantra of all bachelors and newly married men (a behavior soon changed) . . .

Why wash a pan today when you can soak it until tomorrow.

Soaking loosens all the tough-stuck stuff, right? This nugget of logic seems to be totally lost on women, so says my experience.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
HEY!!!!!HEY!!!!!! How many times have I told my son..."Put it in the sink to soak. Add a little vinegar to break up the organics. Do not waste all of my hot water scrubbing the thing!!"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr:rant:

Oh Oh Oh!! You are SO back on my 'silly man' list!!!!!!!
( Your poor, poor wife!)

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jaycinth said:
HEY!!!!!HEY!!!!!! How many times have I told my son..."Put it in the sink to soak. Add a little vinegar to break up the organics. Do not waste all of my hot water scrubbing the thing!!"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr:rant:

Oh Oh Oh!! You are SO back on my 'silly man' list!!!!!!!
( Your poor, poor wife!)
When did I ever crawl off of it? I'll be the first to admit I get my Y chromosome caught in my zipper on a regular basis. However, by the nature of this thread (on bachelors), exaggeration and posturing is a necessity, and to call us on it demeans the very foundation of bachelorhood. Besides, my final phrase indicates my view is based on my personal experience, even though n = 2. The next time I cook up my enchildada casserole, I'll be over with the pot, for a good soaking. I'll leave it to you as to which one of us (me or the pot) gets the soaking.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
NeuroFizz said:
When did I ever crawl off of it? I'll be the first to admit I get my Y chromosome caught in my zipper on a regular basis. However, by the nature of this thread (on bachelors), exaggeration and posturing is a necessity, and to call us on it demeans the very foundation of bachelorhood. Besides, my final phrase indicates my view is based on my personal experience, even though n = 2. The next time I cook up my enchildada casserole, I'll be over with the pot, for a good soaking. I'll leave it to you as to which one of us (me or the pot) gets the soaking.

Vinegar. Gallons and gallons of tepid apple cider vinegar for both of you.

WerenCole

Registered
Reaction score
NeuroFizz said:
However, by the nature of this thread (on bachelors), exaggeration and posturing is a necessity, and to call us on it demeans the very foundation of bachelorhood.

Well said chap!

In terms of soaking. . . this is assuming that the dishes are done on a regular basis (I am getting better at this but I will admit that I have had girlfriends refuse to enter my apartment on grounds of filth, I am better now that I have a dishwasher in my apartment) As a chef, not that chefs ever burns pans, the soaking method is preferred in the kitchen, sometimes overnight if need be. The other alternative is to wash the pan right away while you can use the residual heat to help clean it, keep the clutter away. The last female to visit me noted that the place was clean, except for the stacks upon stacks of Mark Twain related material that blankets every surface. I found it to be an acceptable criticism.

And it's funny you mention vinegear, because on a normal basis I have no use for that apple cider vin in my cupboard. Maybe it will find a use.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread brought back memories of an idea I've had for some time--to create a useful guy-on-his-own cookbook, with insights into maleness that go beyond the production of easy but tasty dishes. It was hatched from my summer research trips, without family, in which I spend up to 7 weeks on my own, or sharing accomodations with a colleague, also away from his family. Obviously, the fare is quite different than that at home.

I've never done anything substantial with the idea, except for jotting down some thoughts and a short list of recipes (see the English Muffin Pizzas in an earlier post). I thought an edited volume would be the way to go--soliciting recipes (and comments) from other on-their-own males. Maybe an AW production is the way to go. Any takers for co-editors? Some exerpts from the "What you'll need" section are below, and if nothing else, make a useful addition to this thread.

A cookie sheet. It doesn’t have to be a good one. It can be dented, wrinkled, stained, as long as the stains are baked in. You’re not going to cook cookies on it, unless they’re the kind that come in the tubes, ready to slice and bake. And then, only if you don’t eat the raw dough first.

Garlic salt
Garlic powder
Garlic cloves
Garlic bubble gum
Garlic scented toilet paper (sorry, got carried away to make a point)

Peanut butter – on toast, it’s flavor changes to four out of five stars (five stars being equal to the taste of bacon). In a pinch, eat a big dollup right from a tablespoon.

Microwave

Toaster – Pop-Tarts actually taste better if you toast them. Don’t butter anything
BEFORE you put it in the toaster.

Aluminum foil - to cover/line every sheet or pan that goes in the oven. If it holds, you’ve just saved yourself a messy washing job. Don’t put it in the microwave unless you’re at your friend’s house and the party sucks (claim ignorance if the beer hasn’t kicked in).

Paper plates (the cheap ones, not the kind with compartments). Get ‘em by the hundred and double them up if the grease starts soaking through. There isn’t a more versatile kitchen necessity than the paper plate. It’s dinner china, microwave cookware, cutting board and ladle/spatula rest all rolled into one. And we’re not talking about the innovative uses that occasionally strike us, and not just in the kitchen.

Butter! F..k margarine. And, get it in the sticks. The wrapper has measure marks so you know exactly where to slice it to get twice what the recipe calls for.

Onions. If you cry when you chop one, you’re not fast enough.

Lettuce – You don’t need any of that fancy stuff. Just break up iceberg, thrown in cut-up onions, shake on sunflower seeds and bacon bits, and top with cheddar shreds and dressing (screw the Lite stuff—it isn’t spelled right). The rule of thumb: If you like the other kinds of greens, go for it. If you’re using them because you want to impress someone, buy a dress. And don’t let anyone sneak spinach in there. I hate the stuff. My wife put some in and informed me later, with a victorious wink, “See you ate spinach.” My response—see, that’s why the divorce rate is so high. I said it on the inside, of course.

Cooking Oil – it doesn’t have to be olive oil (extra virgin sounds like jail bait). And just get the small bottle. You only need a little. No matter how good a sport she is, she won’t let you bring the bottle of oil into the bathtub for a little slippery rasslin’. If you have one of those deep fryers, bless your heart, you’d better buy the five-gallon drum at Sam’s Club. And don’t forget the oil change disposal tub they sell at the Napa Auto Parts store. They don’t check to see what kind of oil is in them. Just don’t mix in bacon grease. That’s a smell a man can detect down to a few parts per billion, from a mile downwind… No, wait. That’s a male moth smelling the female’s pheromone. Make that a few parts per trillion from two miles downwind for bacon grease.

Bacon, and calm yourself on this one. If women learn the power of bacon, they’ll never again do that thing their mothers told them only bad girls do, to get you to do things you don’t want to do, or to get you to let her buy things you can’t afford. Pity the man who doesn’t have bacon and a solvent credit card.
How to dispose of bacon grease.
  • Let it harden and use it as a deodorant stick
  • Mix it with Elmer’s glue and use it as a dog chew
  • Use it as a reward for teaching the dog to fetch brassieres off of clothes lines
  • Smear it on your wife’s cat and turn your dog loose
  • Dip your lime wedge in it before inserting the wedge into the bottle of Mexican beer (and it goes it a lot easier)

A 350o Oven - Almost everything can be cooked at 350 degrees, unless the box tells you to use another temperature.

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a great little recipie that is great for bachelors, especially if you've got the guys coming over to watch the game. My husband has me fix this for his get togethers and, as a matter of fact, we had it for dinner tonight. Even the name sounds manly!

Macho Nachos
Brown 2 pounds of ground beef in a skillet and drain. Dump in 2 taco seasoning packets and about 1 1/2 cups of your favorite chunky-style salsa and about 1/2 cup water. Stir it up good so that the seasoning packet and salsa is evenly distributed and everything looks moist. In a baking dish of your choice (just make sure it's about 3 inches deep - the deeper the better) spread out your favorite THICK style tortilla chip (you could probably even use Fritos). Spoon on some of the beef mixture, cover with shredded cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese. Add another layer of chips, meat and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, until cheese is blubbly and beginning to brown. Serve with cold salsa, guacamole, sour cream, chopped tomatoes and lettuce, black olives - basically whatever you like on tacos.

Good stuff!

samgail

poll dancer
Registered
Reaction score
Host a Party

BLTs can help save on after hours expenses. When you are deciding at the bar whose house you are going to after, ask two questions
1. Do you have beer?
2. Do you have bacon?
When no one has them you quickly dispatch someone to the store invite your friends over and everybody pitches in to help cover the cost. If they don't have any money tell them they are responsible for bringing the weed. Meet back at your place for a delicious feast. Turn on the stereo, soak the pan and keep partying.
Sam
P.S. it is wise to hide the ramen during these gatherings.