The "tone" of the synopsis as compared to the query letter

HFgal

Who wants a cup of tea?
Registered
Reaction score
After going through a few rounds of QLH, the synopsis is coming somewhat easily, but the way it is coming out, it's more factual and cut-and-dried. Not that the query isn't factual, but the query is designed to sell your book, to cherry pick the elements that make the sale (I'm not saying that very well, but hopefully you know what I mean) vs. the synopsis has to include more stuff including the ending - no cliffhanger like in the query.

But is this OK/correct? SHOULD the synopsis have more of a "just the facts, ma'am" feeling? Or should it be in a similar tone to the query letter?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Don't sweat the synopsis. If you can get more voice in, great. If not, it won't break the sale. The synopsis is there so the agent/publisher can see if the plot works. Anything else is jewelry.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
My synopsis had some of the wording and a lot of the same voice as the query. I felt it was one more opportunity to show an agent my writing, so that even if s/he only had a partial, she had a consistent sense of how I wrote.

Even though QLH is now called "Query Letter Hell," I understand that name derives from a nickname for the board that used to be called "Query Letter and Synopsis Forum" or some such. It's perfectly acceptable to put your synopsis up for crit in QLH if you haven't done so already.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A synopsis explains what happens in the book, and helps considering agents and publishers get a feel for your skills at plotting and story development. A synopsis is often quite flat and dull: it doesn't need bells and whistles so long as it does its job. Its tone doesn't have to match that of your book or query, but I see no problem in it doing so if that's how you want it to read.

HFgal

Who wants a cup of tea?
Registered
Reaction score
A synopsis explains what happens in the book, and helps considering agents and publishers get a feel for your skills at plotting and story development. A synopsis is often quite flat and dull: it doesn't need bells and whistles so long as it does its job. Its tone doesn't have to match that of your book or query.

Yes, this is what my intuition was telling me - it's great to have it confirmed, thanks very much.

I think in most or all agents that are on my list, if they ask for a synopsis they are also asking for sample pages, so I don't feel compelled to make the synopsis in the same voice as my MS.