PDA

View Full Version : The Un-Valentine's Day Challenge

MacAllister
01-12-2013, 01:36 AM
YOUR mission, should you choose to accept it:

Write a poem or short story (less than 5K words) and email it to submissions (AT) absolutewrite.com before midnight, the night before Valentine's Day.

Your story should contain strong elements of humor, and should attempt to subvert, twist, parody, or otherwise mess with the regular romance/Valentine's Day tropes, motifs, and themes.

Calliopenjo
01-12-2013, 02:08 AM
I choose to accept the mission.

Cliff Face
01-12-2013, 03:11 AM
I'm considering it. Need to look at some of the Valentine's tropes and see if any ideas are jogged free.

But humour is much more up my alley than the Christmas horror from last time.

So I'll probably put something together, if I can find the time, if I have any strong ideas.

*gets excited*

Manuel Royal
01-12-2013, 03:49 AM
This calls for booze, and possibly some crying. That's where the funny comes from.

TypoToffee
01-12-2013, 09:51 PM
This calls for booze, and possibly some crying. That's where the funny comes from.

Keep the tears, pass the whiskey...

Shakesbear
01-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Keep the tears, pass the whiskey...

Too right! Salt water does not go with whiskey.

I might have a go at this . . . sounds sort of intriguing . . .

Cliff Face
01-13-2013, 01:04 AM
An idea is forming in my head...

Had only a vague idea last night, but as soon as I woke up this morning, I realised what direction I could take that vague idea in. So it's now less vague. :)

kkbe
01-13-2013, 01:13 AM
Wracking my brain but it's not looking good. Unless. . .

No, Cliff Face already thought of that idea.

:)

Cliff Face
01-13-2013, 01:33 AM
Yes, my purple romance penguins are spoken for, thank you very much. ;)

Well, okay, that's not my actual idea. But wouldn't it open up a lot of comedic avenues? :D

Phuein
01-13-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm so glad you wrote
poem or short story :=D

My ode to love!

WendyN
01-14-2013, 01:51 AM
Ooooh, I actually have an idea for this that I might have to try :)

Rockweaver
01-14-2013, 11:51 PM
all contest can be won if you know the judge and the kind of booze they need to feel better :) ..

i may just give this a shot.

Oh one question is there a limit on the number of submissions?

thanks

Calliopenjo
01-15-2013, 02:56 AM
I know I said I was going to compete, but I'm going to have to bow out. To use an already overused line, I can't find my inspiration.

I wish everybody luck on this one.

Maybe the next time around though.

Yes, I'll be waiting for them to be posted so I can read them all. I need to get my daily reading in after all.

Rockweaver
01-15-2013, 03:07 AM
Calliopenjo i have a couple of spare ideas if you would like i can pm one to you :)

s

Calliopenjo
01-15-2013, 03:20 AM
I appreciate the idea Rockweaver, but I don't do well with writing humor.

Thank you anyway. :Hug2:

Rockweaver
01-17-2013, 02:35 AM
posting from the net..
www.wate.com/story/582444/the- (http://www.wate.com/story/582444/the-)legend-of-cupid

this is for any who do not know the back story...
Cupid is the most famous of Valentine symbols -- a mischievous, winged child armed with bow and arrows. Cupid aims his arrows at people, causing them to fall deeply in love.

In Roman mythology, Cupid's mother Venus was jealous of the beauty of Psyche, and ordered Cupid to punish the mortal. Instead, Cupid fell deeply in love with her. He took her as his wife, but as a mortal she was forbidden to look at him.

Psyche was happy until her sisters persuaded her to look at Cupid. As soon as Psyche looked at Cupid, Cupid punished her by leaving. Their lovely castle and gardens vanished too. Psyche found herself alone in an open field with no signs of other beings or Cupid.

As she wandered trying to find her love, she came upon the temple of Venus. Wishing to destroy her, the goddess of love gave Psyche a series of tasks. Psyche was given a small box and told to take it to the underworld to capture some of the beauty of Proserpine, the wife of Pluto.
During her trip she was given tips on avoiding the dangers of the realm of the dead and was warned not to open the box. But Temptation overcame Psyche and she opened the box. Instead of finding beauty, she found deadly slumber. Cupid found her lifeless on the ground. He gathered the deadly sleep from her body and put it back in the box. The gods, moved by Psyche's love for Cupid made her a goddess.

Today, Cupid and his arrows have become the most popular of love signs, and love is frequently depicted by two hearts pierced by an arrow -- Cupid's arrow.

dobiwon
01-21-2013, 11:41 PM
I haven't been doing much writing lately, so this prompt came at a good time for me. I want to get back to writing more humor.

lisalulu09
01-23-2013, 01:10 AM
Questions:

Midnight your time?

Does it have to be a complete short story?

lisalulu09
01-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Also, PRIZE?

Cliff Face
01-23-2013, 04:33 AM
Well, I wrote the first draft of mine yesterday. Just needs to be polished. :)

Mr. Aziz
01-26-2013, 08:35 PM
I'd try, but so far every time I try to think up something, it always ends up shamelessly ripping this off or ending up like it:

http://www.theonion.com/video/annual-valentines-day-stoning-of-happy-couple-held,19117/

Edit: NVM, I thought of something.

Manuel Royal
01-26-2013, 09:48 PM
So of the The Onion's satire highlights a truth.

Got an idea last night.

kkbe
01-27-2013, 02:27 AM
I am seriously doubting if I can do this one. I tried, and ended up writing a short story about an abused woman who decides to blow her husband's brains out. Trying to put a humorous spin on that has proven somewhat . . . difficult.

Manuel Royal
01-27-2013, 05:02 AM
I am seriously doubting if I can do this one. I tried, and ended up writing a short story about an abused woman who decides to blow her husband's brains out. Trying to put a humorous spin on that has proven somewhat . . . difficult.Think of it as a country-western song.

ElaineA
01-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Brain...spinning...:e2writer:

Phuein
01-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Think of it as a country-western song.
So true haha :=D How about getting the zombie husband to avenge his death?

Calliopenjo
01-28-2013, 12:30 AM
KKBE,

If I can try and tackle this you can do the same.

A not so subtle hint: As for the blowing the husband's brain out, if he wasn't human it wouldn't matter. ;)

lisalulu09
01-28-2013, 12:33 AM
I have no idea what to do with this. I have a poem that needs to be made funnier to submit it, or an idea for a novella that I could do a bit of for this. Thoughts?

Calliopenjo
01-28-2013, 02:32 AM
Make fun of cupid or Aphrodite or Venus for that matter. Have Hercules fall in love with Hera.

Keep in mind these are the just ramblings of a mad writer. :D

kkbe
01-28-2013, 04:14 AM
Humorous as in, off kilter maybe? Or just off? I wasn't gonna. . .

MacAllister
01-28-2013, 05:48 AM
Off-kilter, askew, black humor...it's all good. :)

Rockweaver
01-28-2013, 07:15 AM
I am seriously doubting if I can do this one. I tried, and ended up writing a short story about an abused woman who decides to blow her husband's brains out. Trying to put a humorous spin on that has proven somewhat . . . difficult.

make the entire thing a dream and then twist reality just a little.

jennontheisland
01-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Can't do this because of school, but I know exactly where I'd go with it...

The initials for Valentine's Day are VD.

toldyouso
01-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Hmmmm. I don't know if I will at all pull it off but a challenge sounds fun. I'd like to see the results everyone else come up with.

jennarielly
01-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Sounds fun! I think I'm gonna give it a shot! We shall see, I've never really tried humor before

dclary
02-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Mac, some rules claryfications...

What is the deadline?

Can we use previously published materials?

Ravenheart
02-06-2013, 12:15 AM
I will be leaving for warmer weather on 2/11... without my laptop which is busted. Can I still email an entry but on 2/10? :flag:

kkbe
02-06-2013, 12:44 AM

Maybe not. Been working on a short something, on and off. Got the idea from quickWit. He has no clue, btw. Picture the dancing bunneh being my muse on this one. Some things just should not see the light of day. . .

:D

Putputt
02-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Maybe not. Been working on a short something, on and off. Got the idea from quickWit. He has no clue, btw. Picture the dancing bunneh being my muse on this one. Some things just should not see the light of day. . .

My god. A story inspired by quickWit, written by kkbe...that will be one twisted tale...:D

kkbe
02-06-2013, 04:28 PM
My god. A story inspired by quickWit, written by kkbe...that will be one twisted tale...:D

You have no idea.

Still uncertain, btw. It's touch and go right now.

Rockweaver
02-07-2013, 10:22 PM
i have mine in edit today..

Cliff Face
02-08-2013, 02:27 AM
Haven't touched mine in about a week... Been editing my novel, which should be finished later today. So after that, I'll get back to polishing my contest short.

I'm glad I worked on it early after the contest was announced... Not sure I'd have the energy or time to really make it worthwhile now if I hadn't already got most of it done.

J.L. Duncan
02-08-2013, 03:46 AM
Is there a specific format we should use or a place that explains more about this contest?

Thanks ahead-

kkbe
02-08-2013, 06:55 AM
J.L., the very first post #1 in this thread, re: Mac, states~

YOUR mission, should you choose to accept it:

Write a poem or short story (less than 5K words) and email it to submissions (AT) absolutewrite.com before midnight, the night before Valentine's Day.

Your story should contain strong elements of humor, and should attempt to subvert, twist, parody, or otherwise mess with the regular romance/Valentine's Day tropes, motifs, and themes. She also wrote:

I don't know if there are any kind of parameters relative to who can enter -- if it matters how long a person has been on AW, or how many postings a person has. Not sure of prizes or anything like that. I'm sure Mac'll pop in with a few more specifics. In the meantime, is there something else you wonder about?

Like, I was wondering if I was actually gonna enter this thing and God help me. . .

J.L. Duncan
02-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Time is running out and I almost got something....

It's almost funny
Almost cute.
No lute-
Whew!

J.L. Duncan
02-09-2013, 09:22 AM
J.L., the very first post #1 in this thread, re: Mac, states~
She also wrote:
I don't know if there are any kind of parameters relative to who can enter -- if it matters how long a person has been on AW, or how many postings a person has. Not sure of prizes or anything like that. I'm sure Mac'll pop in with a few more specifics. In the meantime, is there something else you wonder about?

Like, I was wondering if I was actually gonna enter this thing and God help me. . .

Thanks for the reply.
Just making an inquiry while navigating the site; Iím not totally foreign to forums, but it never hurts to ask for clarification.
Appreciate it!

J.L. Duncan
02-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Just making an inquiry while navigating the site; I’m not totally foreign to forums, but it never hurts to ask for clarification.
Appreciate it!

Edit: Why not? Who doesn't love to hate Valentine's?

kkbe
02-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Feb. 11, 5:30ish a.m., which means calculating, calculating less than three days left before the Un-Valentine's Day Contest deadline.

(In case people were wondering. Which they probably weren't. Because they have calendars. :) )

Putputt
02-11-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm not sure where my story's going. :( might have to sit this one out. Booo!

Cliff Face
02-12-2013, 04:36 AM
With one thing and another cropping up lately, I still need to finalise mine.

Hopefully going to find time to edit it one more time today, then submit it. I keep forgetting about it because I haven't touched it in so long... Don't want to miss the submission deadline!

Manuel Royal
02-12-2013, 06:38 AM
I guess we'll once again be using a password-protected subforum? Thing is, if I can get this story to work, I'd also like to submit it somewhere. Considering whether its use in our Un-Valentine's Day Challenge would count as first publication.

MacAllister
02-12-2013, 06:46 AM
Yep - the passworded forum again, and I'll pull anyone's stories they'd like pulled, too -- just drop me a note after the vote closes.

SPEAKING of stories, I've been plain swamped and haven't had a chance to post anyone's Christmas stories -- since the season has well passed, but it's not at all a bad time of year to be subbing seasonal stories to appropriate markets, consider all rights to those stories available and officially reverted to you, as far as AW is concerned. :)

If Caleb posted your stories on his site, though, that's a separate matter between the writer and him.

Manuel Royal
02-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Thanks, Mac.

Cliff Face
02-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Who's Caleb? And what site?

*confused*

kkbe
02-12-2013, 03:57 PM

*confused*

Cliff Face, that's most definitely Classified Information, and even then, it's parcelled on a Need To Know basis, which you do not.

Need to know, I mean.

Do not worry. Your government has everything under control. Just go about your daily business, Cliff Face. Do not concern yourself further.

That is not a suggestion, btw.

On a lighter note, the deadline for this Valentine's Day Contest thingie looms. Let's recalculate (Cliff Face, you may want to join in, take your mind off things): Today is Feb. 12 which means, I do believe, that the deadline is TOMORROW EVENING at what, 11 p.m.?

I'm asking you a question, Cliff Face.

Manuel Royal
02-12-2013, 04:10 PM

*confused*Seriously, though: Caleb (CJacobo on AW) got the ball rolling on the Short Fiction Competition we had back in September, and put some of the stories on his site, here: http://calebjacobo.com/ Haven't seen him around lately, though.

kkbe
02-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Back to our regularly-scheduled programming. ETA to Valentine's Day Contest: T minus 38.5 hours (I think, don't quote me, I suck at math as well as spellign) give or take.

Cliff Face
02-13-2013, 03:04 AM
Thanks Manuel. :)

And kk - there's 14.5 hours to go for me, but I've submitted already. (Yes, I'm in the future down here in Australia. :tongue)

Mr. Aziz
02-13-2013, 03:07 AM
Just to check in, should we be getting an email back saying "Yep, I received it," or should I shoot it off again?

Or perhaps, did it tickle the region of bad where one's memory refuses to transcribe the event?

kkbe
02-13-2013, 06:32 AM
Thanks Manuel. :)

And kk - there's 14.5 hours to go for me, but I've submitted already. (Yes, I'm in the future down here in Australia. :tongue)

And less now, C.F., but still more for me than you, not that it matters from your standpoint, being as you already submitted, which I must surely do, because ETA is now something like hang on, getting tiny calculator 25.5 hours from now--11 p.m. tomorrow--not that it matters from your standpoint, being as it's already tomorrow there, from here I mean. . .

MacAllister
02-13-2013, 06:42 AM
Just to check in, should we be getting an email back saying "Yep, I received it," or should I shoot it off again?

Or perhaps, did it tickle the region of bad where one's memory refuses to transcribe the event?

Generally I just post 'em -- then if you don't see yours there, you PM me and resend it until I get it. There was one Christmas story that we had to try three or four different emails and dropbox methods with, before it came through (still dunno why).

We've had a pretty good number of stories already turned in, so this should be a really fun round.

Mr. Aziz
02-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Generally I just post 'em -- then if you don't see yours there, you PM me and resend it until I get it. There was one Christmas story that we had to try three or four different emails and dropbox methods with, before it came through (still dunno why).

We've had a pretty good number of stories already turned in, so this should be a really fun round.

Looking forward to reading them then.

Manuel Royal
02-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Mac, I remember the email (submissions AT absolutewrite DOT com), but -- are there are any special formatting requirements?

ETA: Sent it. Maybe someday I'll finish something well before deadline.

MacAllister
02-16-2013, 01:33 AM
Stories are up! (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7973756) I'll put a poll up later tonight. :)

Happy reading, all!

(And if you don't see your story there, PM me and we'll track it down!)

HarryHoskins
02-17-2013, 04:26 AM
I just finished my first read -- very romantic enjoyable.

Now to read again and make my first cut. *Smileywithscissorssmiley*

Manuel Royal
02-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Quite a variety! Nice to see some poetry in there.

Seraph
02-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Variety, indeed. Some novel stuff. Didn't enter myself this time but really enjoying the reads. Gonna be a tricky vote.

kkbe
02-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Okay, I'm excited! The ol' fingers are itchin' to get to at it now, so. . .

Not that, mr. smarty pants. :)

HarryHoskins
02-19-2013, 01:56 AM
Finished my second scissor read - cut the 9 down to 5. Last read and final cut tomorrow. Some funny stuff in there. :)

Cernex
02-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Read the first two stories and the poems.

Pretty enjoyable tales, nice!

Cliff Face
02-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Have read the first 5 entries. Methinks the second 5 will take a mite longer to read.

kkbe
02-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Read 'em all. Indeed, they did subvert, twist, parody, and otherwise mess with the regular romance/Valentine's Day tropes, motifs, and themes. I found the entries blackly humorous, decidedly off-kilter, more than a tad askew. Some, more than others. Some, a lot more. . .
As Mac said, it's all good. :D

HarryHoskins
02-20-2013, 12:31 AM
Last cut cut and the votes from the United Kingdom are in.

Good job everyone. :)

kkbe
02-23-2013, 03:58 AM
Okay, Harry, time to scoot over. . .

Hey, Haiku person is kicking butt and that ain't no surprise! Come see! There's an eclectic assortment of twisted Valentine goodness just waiting for you, so take you pick -- There's an Asshole Jar, a wink and a kink, Cupie Boopie, el cheapo gifto (it's the thought that counts!), Hideous Beastie and True Love Tex, Miguel the Venereologist, sweet love poison, Jim Good's crotch and one really long-ass turd.

I hope I didn't forget anybody!!! If I did, a pox on. . .

HarryHoskins. :D

Enjoy, and don't forget to do your civic doody!

kkbe
02-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Fact: My submission is pretty much tanking.
Fact: Everybody who submitted an entry is a winner!
Extrapolation: I submitted an entry, ergo. . .

Aw, man, my submission is getting spanked! But it's okay! We're all winners! :e2woo:

:Hail: And this winner bows to Haiku! :D

Putputt
02-24-2013, 04:28 PM
W're all winners! :e2woo:
[/I]

:partyguy:

Yaaay to us!!! :D

Hmm, why isn't there a spank emoticon...

HarryHoskins
02-25-2013, 04:10 AM
Hmm, why isn't there a spank emoticon...

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/hhmph001/ass_zps696f10f8.jpeg

Cliff Face
02-25-2013, 05:04 AM
I'm a winner? That's good, because my story isn't doing as well as I'd like.

Is this some sort of zen thing, like, if I acknowledge that I'm already a winner then my story will get more votes?

Ohmmmmmm...

Putputt
02-25-2013, 10:45 AM
http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/hhmph001/ass_zps696f10f8.jpeg

Omg. What have you done to mah beautiful avie!!

...Why isn't there a pee-myself-because-donkey-is-about-bite-my-arm-off emoticon?

HarryHoskins
02-25-2013, 03:40 PM
...Why isn't there a pee-myself-because-donkey-is-about-bite-my-arm-off emoticon?

It ain't a donkey, it's an ass.

Manuel Royal
02-26-2013, 01:34 AM
Congrats to whoever wrote "Haiku"!

HarryHoskins
02-26-2013, 01:47 AM
Congrats to whoever wrote "Haiku"!

Seconded. :)

And well done also to the everyone who entered, voted and made the contest happen.

Now, I'm looking forward to see who wrote what. :)

Paul
02-26-2013, 01:54 AM
Damn it. How'd I miss this?

Also, what's the password for the stories?

(of which mine would have been the bestest).

HarryHoskins
02-26-2013, 02:09 AM
Also, what's the password for the stories?

Holiday

Paul
02-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Nah, not holiday.

not the the stories. not on my laptop...

HarryHoskins
02-26-2013, 02:42 AM
Nah, not holiday.

not the the stories. not on my laptop...

In that case:

Black Coffee

or

Medical Attention

Manuel Royal
02-26-2013, 02:56 AM
Also, what's the password for the stories?All lowercase:

holiday

Paul
02-26-2013, 03:00 AM
In that case:

Black Coffee

or

Medical Attention

hmmm.

lol.

Paul
02-26-2013, 03:01 AM
All lowercase:

holiday
wait - holiday has only one h?

lol. I'll try tomorrow methinks.

thanks anyway M

kkbe
02-26-2013, 04:26 AM
Who wrote the amazingly awesome, contest-winning story, "Haiku"?
The answer may be found in the following cryptic haiku:

ME!!! I wrote "Haiku"!!!
Mine's the turd one. I'm lying.
I won!!! I won!!! Yay!!!

Congratulations to all the winners!!!

HarryHoskins
02-26-2013, 04:38 AM
The answer may be found in the following cryptic haiku:

I knew it! And, as a consolation at least, you got one of my votes, K -- plus, of course, mine were the votes that really counted.

Well done to the winners again. Well deserved. :)

Cliff Face
02-26-2013, 05:05 AM
Oh, voting is closed? I can reveal which was mine?

"True Love". *sigh* Equal 4th place, so I missed out on a prize by 1 vote. :(

I did better in this one than the Christmas Creeper one, which is good.

I had 1 very good night with this vote. I went to bed on 0 votes, and woke up on 3! Sadly, after that the only vote I got was my own.

ETA: So thankyou to those 3 people. And congrats to the winners. :)

dobiwon
02-26-2013, 06:01 AM
I guess I can reveal which one is mine, too. I wrote "The Perfect Valentine's Day Gift". Tied for 2nd place.

Congrats to whoever wrote "Haiku". That was one of my favorites--if I hadn't been biased toward "The Perfect Valentine's Day Gift", it would have been my #1 favorite.

Manuel Royal
02-26-2013, 07:15 AM
I wrote "Heart-Shaped".

Kind of glad I didn't win. Three is enough.

Really interesting variety of pieces; well done, y'all.

Putputt
02-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Haiku was inspired by my muse kkbe, who told me a sweet lil haiku I wrote was 6-6-5. Yur, cuz her name is k-k-b-e, not k-k-bee, as it turns out (who knew?!). And "brilliant" isn't pronounced--well, you all know the rest of the story. Haven't gotten round to killing her with my bra...yet. :D

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments!! It was the first short story I've ever written, so I'm chalking it up to beginner's luck and all that jazz, but a teensy part of me is also going :thankyou:

Okay, more than a teensy part.

So I may not be able to fit through doorways for the next few days, on account of the size of my head.

I enjoyed everyone's stories...who wrote the one with the nipple discus??

HarryHoskins
02-26-2013, 03:41 PM
ETA: So thankyou to those 3 people. And congrats to the winners. :)

You got one of my votes. I really enjoyed the piece and thought it had a lot of depth and potential. Well done. :)

I wrote "Heart-Shaped".

And Heart-shaped was the third of my picks. Very funny and kinda poignant, too. Good work. :)

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments!! It was the first short story I've ever written, so I'm chalking it up to beginner's luck and all that jazz, but a teensy part of me is also going :thankyou:

Well done, Putputt. I kept deliberating whether to vote for yours or True Love -- in the end the latter won out because it made me laugh a few more times. I wished I could've had a top four really, but you won, so I guess I needn't feel too bad! :)

I enjoyed everyone's stories...who wrote the one with the nipple discus??

That one was mine.

kkbe
02-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Putputt: Haiku was inspired by my muse kkbe, who told me a sweet lil haiku I wrote was 6-6-5. Yur, cuz her name is k-k-b-e, not k-k-bee, as it turns out (who knew?!). And "brilliant" isn't pronounced--well, you all know the rest of the story.

kk and Putputt:
Both brilliant in the art of
Procrastination.

btw, my little story was inspired by quickWit's signature. :D

Putputt: Haven't gotten round to killing her with my bra...yet. :D I shall tread lightly. . .

Manuel Royal
02-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Really impressive for a first short story, Putputt.

Calliopenjo
02-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Since everyone is revealing their's, mine was Cupid's Day At the Office.

Cupie Boopie was inspired by Stupid Cupid (http://youtu.be/QS2KODwnUgs). I changed the words a bit for story purposes.

I thank whoever voted for me. I appreciate it.

Congratulation Putputt!

Cliff Face
02-27-2013, 02:31 AM
You got one of my votes. I really enjoyed the piece and thought it had a lot of depth and potential. Well done. :)

Thank you. :)

Well done, Putputt. I kept deliberating whether to vote for yours or True Love -- in the end the latter won out because it made me laugh a few more times.

Hooray! I made someone laugh!

That one was mine.

Oh, I voted for you, actually. I liked the absurdist situation, along with the fact that you took that absurdity seriously (if that makes sense).

HarryHoskins
02-28-2013, 04:01 AM
Oh, I voted for you, actually. I liked the absurdist situation, along with the fact that you took that absurdity seriously (if that makes sense).

Aw, fanks. (And it does make sense) :)

Mr. Aziz
03-01-2013, 03:04 AM
I guess I'll reveal too.

I wrote Ten Minutes before the Embolism. I can be happy with someone other than me voting for it, since that means someone else enjoyed it enough to click the box beside my story.

As far as how my other votes went, there was the story I knew would win, Haiku since it was the most well-written and well-thought of the bunch. Then there was the story I wanted to win because I genuinely liked it better than any of the others, 54 Valentines Comming.

HarryHoskins
03-03-2013, 03:26 AM
I wrote Ten Minutes before the Embolism. I can be happy with someone other than me voting for it, since that means someone else enjoyed it enough to click the box beside my story.

I liked it -- very funny, and very Philip Roth. :)

Then there was the story I wanted to win because I genuinely liked it better than any of the others, 54 Valentines Comming.

Aww, fanks. :)