PDA

View Full Version : Writers who can draw (or have other artistic talent)

E.G. Gammon
01-29-2006, 07:57 PM
I have always been the type of writer who relies on my "way with words" - as my family calls it - to create my images/vision because I lack drawing ability. But, some writers out there can do both; here are some examples:

-J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series, has made it no secret that she can draw and has various times, shown off some of her HP character sketches.

-Christopher Paolini, the author of the Inheritence trilogy, drew the art for the original self-published version of Eragon. (Of course some people have questioned his writing ability because of the similarities between his series and The Lord of the Rings)

-James Cameron, the writer and director of Titanic, can certainly draw. His drawing talent is responsible for the nude sketch of "Rose" used in the film, Titanic.

And it's not just drawing ability. Some writers can also write music or sing or act. Is anyone out there like I am - someone who can't draw, write music, sing, or act (not that I've tried) and only has "a way with words?"

Of course, I am pretty good at computer graphic design, but does that even count?

Sarita
01-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Great question, EG!

I paint, draw, sketch, use coloring books.... When I feel like my writing is drying up or I need a little inspiration to finish a line in a poem, I'll doodle until it comes to me. I haven't always been into visual arts (except for the doodling). It started because my little sister pushed me into it about 8 years ago. I'm glad she did. My writing, which I feel is my primary art form, has improved because of it.

Direct your eye to this fine writer's site (http://www.poisonpen.net/fiction/view/92/) to see one of my own.

Carole
01-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Sara, I have seen some of your work and it's beautiful! I love that you seem to possess such a delicate and precise hand.

I also paint, sketch and draw whenever I can. It's a compulsion. Sometimes it is nothing but a random profile and sometimes I get pulled completely in and can't set something down till it's complete.

I like to carve, too. give me a hunk of wood and my set of knives and I'll turn out something unusual every time. I've carved wooden signs, faces, animals and Celtic crosses. Usually they will be "colored" with at least a small spot of my blood. ~laughing~

Paint
01-29-2006, 08:18 PM
[Of course, I am pretty good at computer graphic design, but does that even count?]

You can probably draw too. Drawing is a skill learned like reading. The difference is in the eye and heart, what you do after the skill is learned.
Drawing is a discipline for me, I love to throw paint and scratch with sharp objects on paper or canvas.

Sara that painting is beautiful and so graceful. That is one of my favorite pieces of William's too.

E.G. Gammon
01-29-2006, 08:37 PM
I like to carve, too. give me a hunk of wood and my set of knives and I'll turn out something unusual every time. I've carved wooden signs, faces, animals and Celtic crosses. Usually they will be "colored" with at least a small spot of my blood. ~laughing~

Ah, I forgot about 3D forms of art like carving, sculpture and Ceramics! I loved Ceramics in high school and if I could, I'd pick it up again. I have photos of my pieces here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eggammon/my_photos

You can probably draw too. Drawing is a skill learned like reading. The difference is in the eye and heart, what you do after the skill is learned.
Drawing is a discipline for me, I love to throw paint and scratch with sharp objects on paper or canvas.

I have just never been compelled to physically draw by hand. I did take a computer art class in high school and we used a digital drawing pad and digital pen (I wasn't too bad at that), but we only drew from physical things we could see and feel. I don't think I could draw something from inside my own head.

PattiTheWicked
01-29-2006, 08:58 PM
I tend to doodle a lot, and I'm creative in ways other than my writing -- I do various crafts, I paint on occasion, and I like to make things out of random stuff I find around the house or the yard. I also sew -- which I didn't realize until recently that not a lot of people my age do. I've made a bit of spare cash sewing costumes for school plays and stuff like that. I don't think my talents are anything special but other people are constantly telling me how good I am at sewing/drawing/painting/whatever.

Maybe it's because those of us who write just have to have SOME sort of creative outlet -- when I'm not putting words on paper, I'm creating something out of clay or fabric or paint.

Carole
01-29-2006, 09:01 PM
I love to sew, too. That's one of my favorite things. The last things I made mass quantities of and sold to many many men all over the world were frilly, fancy panties. Yep. There's a HUGE market for pink, silky knickers with an extra-wide gusset! These were a really hot item!

veinglory
01-29-2006, 09:06 PM
I used to do a fair amount of fantasy illustration

http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/list.pl?gallery=2446

but not so much recently.

Unique
01-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Carole - Men buy those? Who would have guessed. What sizes do you find are most popular for them?

Emily - you're still drawing penguins. That counts.

veinglory
01-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Have you noticed how badly drawn those penguins are?

JoeEkaitis
01-29-2006, 09:17 PM
I drew a cover and doodled a few illustrations for a book that no one wants.

http://us-p.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/Joe-Ekaitis/%27%27Gulliver%20Mouse%27%27%20illustrations/gulliver_mouse_small_bleed.jpg

http://us-p.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/Joe-Ekaitis/%27%27Gulliver%20Mouse%27%27%20illustrations/passage.gif

http://us-p.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/Joe-Ekaitis/%27%27Gulliver%20Mouse%27%27%20illustrations/adrift.gif

http://us-p.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/Joe-Ekaitis/%27%27Gulliver%20Mouse%27%27%20illustrations/eat_a_horse.gif

http://us-p.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/Joe-Ekaitis/%27%27Gulliver%20Mouse%27%27%20illustrations/gulliver_mouse_angry.gif

http://us-p.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/Joe-Ekaitis/%27%27Gulliver%20Mouse%27%27%20illustrations/gulliver_mouse_victorious.gif

Carole
01-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Carole - Men buy those? Who would have guessed. What sizes do you find are most popular for them?

XL was the most pouplar by far, although I had one fella in the UK who I special made them for. He was a very small guy. The XL was equivelant to a ladies' panty size 10, but with a 4 inch wide gusset and slightly less room in the rear. They didn't want the skimpy ones, either. They wanted the full bloomers. All the ones I made were made from recycled vintage nylon nightgowns and robes. I'd just cut them up for the fabric.

Shwebb
01-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Joe, I like those!

I've dabbled in different media. My favorite is oil pastel; haven't done it since I had kids. I've also designed business cards and done some desktop publishing.

I have learned I'm astoundingly mediocre in everything creative, including writing. This lack of genius hasn't apparently stopped me, though. There is a compulsiveness to it.

rhymegirl
01-29-2006, 09:33 PM
I think most writers are multi-skilled.

I like to draw(mostly portraits), I love songwriting and singing.

I did all of the illustrations for one of my picture books.

aspier
01-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Check Paint's doings on #andwerve = http://simpletangent.net/index.html

Oeee, I'm not supposed to say that! More terrible! I'm in there too! Sorry! Sorry! Disregard this post!

WerenCole
01-29-2006, 10:26 PM
I have no spatial aptitude whatsoever. . . I can't draw, paint, any of that stuff.

I do play hands drums very well though. I use my fingers alot, it might be why I am a fast typer too.

I am also a chef, which requires a certain amount of art in terms of taste and presentation. Though, if you know the principles of cooking the artistry is more of a science with creative flair, but that doesn't stop me from fooling the customers.

Unique
01-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Have you noticed how badly drawn those penguins are?

I thought you did that on purpose.

veinglory
01-29-2006, 10:40 PM
I thought you did that on purpose.

I don't suppose I was trying too hard--to draw well i have to spend hours on a piece and the peguins are firmly in the 'relax and just have fun rather than taking everything so serious dammit' zone ;)

BlackCrowesChick
01-30-2006, 12:53 AM
Joe, your drawings are good!

I draw sometimes. I'm pretty good at it. I'm not the best, but good enough. I like to draw, I just don't very often.

No one has mentioned musical instruments yet, but I can play the piano and the guitar. I don't play them very often anymore either, though. I should get back to them.

Vanessa
01-30-2006, 01:05 AM
Cool thread. I think most writers are artistic in many ways. I draw anything by looking at it, from a human to a landscape, a portrait, etc. I came into the world with that skill. I also play piano (I was taught to do that in about 9 plus years) and sing (I don't really like to do the singing part) As far as other artistry, I enjoy interior decorating. (One of my favorite hobbies.) I tried some painting on canvas, but I didn't like it. I also played drums in college in an all girls Jazz Band, which I LOVED! I think I have a good eye for Photography, at least that's what they tell me. I've dabbled with that for years.

maestrowork
01-30-2006, 01:06 AM
I think all arts are related. I draw and I do graphics design. I write music and I sing. I won't call myself anywhere near "professional" as far as art and music are concerned, but I do enjoy those creative outlets outside of writing, and sometimes they help with my writing (help me visualize things) and marketing -- for example, I designed my own website.

Shwebb
01-30-2006, 01:06 AM
Oh, yeah, I play the flute.

Again, mediocre.

I wish I could find SOMEthing I can do really well.

(Still thinking that someday I'll be a decent writer--at least I have the grammar, spelling, and synatax right most of the time.)
(Note the serial commas!)

underthecity
01-30-2006, 04:22 AM
Joe, those are awesome and remind me a little of Edward Gorey.

I can't draw, paint, or anything artistic. I had art classes in high school, but if there's no talent to develop, then what? I have no aptitude in drawing anything.

I can't sing. My voice has a "hitch" right in the mid-range where many popular songs are sung. My wife sings beautifully, but whenever I try, I sound like the "generic teenager" in the Simpsons. Again, there's no talent that can be developed. Simon from American Idol would laugh uproariously at me. And who could blame him?

I TRIED to learn piano and TRIED to learn guitar. I suppose if I applied myself and tried in recent years, I could get pretty good at them. But as far as having a musical ear, I'm a rank amateur. I need structured lessons again for piano or guitar. But all that cuts into my very limited writing time.

I'm terrible at puzzles. I used to subscribe to Games magazine, but I sucked at most of the puzzles inside. I absolutely cannot do "cryptoquips" and refuse to even try. I'm also horrible at anything number-related. My wife pays all our bills.

But I'm a good electronics technician. I can troubleshoot and repair electronic devices and have restored numerous antique radios. I'm in the middle of a 1935 jukebox restoration and a player piano restoration.

I'm best at being a writer. For the most part, writing comes pretty easily for me, but fiction is a struggle. Nonfiction and history seem to be what I'm best at, but I'm trying my hardest at a children's book based.

allen

tiny
01-30-2006, 05:20 AM
I've been a professional potter for a kabillion years. So, I guess I come at it from the other side.

Jo
01-30-2006, 06:30 AM
I'm sorry, E.G. Gammon, I'm also one of those multi-skilled artists. I love creative expression that imbues all five senses (smell, touch, hearing, taste, sight); all things verbal/linguistic, visual/spatial and musical/rhythmic.

Along with writing, I dabble in interior design and construction, garden landscape, design and construction, crafts (knitting, hand sewing), cooking (with or without a recipe), ceramics, sketching, painting, and drawing (charcoal, oils, craypas, ink, pencil, etc.), music - as a creator and performer (by ear or reading music; piano/keyboard/organ, drums/bongos, recorder, xylophone, some bass and guitar and a few other instruments) and singing and song writing (solo, choir, chorus), dance (choreography, tap, jazz, ballet, etc.),and photography (mainly SLR, b/w and colour). *Ick, that was a list - and a very long sentence!*

Do you get the feeling there are not enough hours in the day? Yep, me too! (And these are only my artistic pursuits...) There's a link to some of my artwork (portraits and seascape) in my sig. if you're interested. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

September skies
01-30-2006, 08:33 AM
Wow Jo~, that's quite a list.

I admire writers who can also draw and everything else. I wish I could design my own book cover.

But, alas, I am gifted in other areas. I can play music by ear, sing and can turn a simple plain room into a beautiful little room. I love to decorate. I love photography too.

three seven
01-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Does freehand 3d modelling count?

http://www.geocities.com/agent_three_seven/cyclsm.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/agent_three_seven/TAIPsm.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/agent_three_seven/daytsm.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/agent_three_seven/polsm.JPG

mercuryjav
01-30-2006, 05:35 PM
I have an MFA in painting from the School of Visual Arts. I include drawings in my books that are usually relevant to the plot. Adding a visual dimension at certain points in a thriller can spice up the readers experience by adding to the mystery. Case in point Dan Brown Angels & Demons.

Celia Cyanide
01-30-2006, 10:08 PM
I can act! I sing, but not especially well. I have recorded some demo tracks, just to sign in a studio and have a demo. I am very good at acting, though, even though I only do it in indie movies.

Shadow_Ferret
01-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Writing is my only skill. I have no other artistic or creative talents whatsoever.

ChaosTitan
01-30-2006, 10:39 PM
There are skills worth having beyond writing? :Wha:

Kidding.

In my teens, I drew cartoon characters. If I'm really bored on my lunch break I'll sketch still life's. I can carry a tune, but will never EVER fool myself into auditioning for American Idol. I paint ceramics when I have free time and used to make jewelry (earrings, mostly). I can play one song on the piano, but no other instruments. Never was very good at sports. I like decorating and can visualize well, which helps with my day job. I can beat the pants off you at the Planet Hollywood game. I make a mean Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake.

Lots of small skills and minor talents, but nothing else that I excell at. There's nothing that I love as much as putting words on paper.

mkcbunny
02-05-2006, 09:32 AM
I have a B.A. in painting and spent many years painting and sculpting before making a long, gradual shift into writing.

Tienci
02-05-2006, 10:43 PM
In addition to writing in its various forms (stories, songs, poetry etc.), I am also a visual artist (I can draw and I am good with photography), and a performing artist (I can sing, dance, act). I'm artistically inclined in pretty much all areas but unfortunately, I'm always simply above average and not spectacular in any one area- a jack of all trades, master of none!

PrincessofPersia
03-02-2011, 02:28 AM
Aside from writing...

I play a few instruments: bass, drums, guitar, piano, banjo, cello. I can also sing a little. I play bass really well, and I'm pretty good at cello as well. The rest I'm okay.

I used to act, mostly musical theatre. I've dabbled with Shakespeare, but I've wanted to do more of that.

Photography is another one of my things. I used to do weddings, but I've had some nature stuff published. Mostly stuff I took while visiting Israel.

Drawing is something I'm not very good at. I used to be okay when I was in primary school, but I never developed it.

Oh, I've made some pretty decent clothes and accessories too.

backslashbaby
03-02-2011, 02:39 AM
I have some natural talent in drawing and in music (not singing), but I never developed it in either farther than 6 months or so. I had teachers who encouraged me to go on, but nah. It just wasn't my thing.

I am still crafty and design holiday decorations, costumes and stuff. I do enjoy it. As for art, I just like looking at or listening to other folks' stuff much better.

tiny
03-02-2011, 03:38 AM
Oh wowzers, I posted in this thread a while ago. :D Still a studio potter, but my studio is smaller and I'm focusing on filling my own house with dishes I've made. Then I think I'm going to move onto garden stuff. Fountains, pots, outside sinks.

I've drawn, painted, enameled, blown glass, stained glass, silk screened, etched, made jewelry... but I have a BFA and they made me.

PrincessofPersia
03-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Oh, I did not even see the date of the last post. Colour me embarrassed.

tiny
03-02-2011, 07:28 AM

Nah. Zombie threads taste of win.

BigWords
03-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Zombie threads taste of win.

Zombie threads taste of braaaiiiinsss.

There are some examples of my art here an there around the web, though I really should gather everything together in one place. There never seems to be enough time to get the art and the writing schedules balanced, and I tend to end up cramming weeks work of drawing into a few days whenever I get peace and quiet.

bySD
03-06-2011, 01:59 AM
I draw as well as write. I do a little song writing, photography, and I'm trying to learn to paint.

K1P1
03-24-2011, 08:31 AM
I think this was a good thread to resurrect!

I can't draw, but I can doodle and diagram. I'm a knitting designer, in addition to writing books and articles on knitting techniques.

Dandroid
03-24-2011, 08:47 AM
compose music...sing too...passably i suppose...wanted to paint...failed....

scottVee
03-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Hi. I thought I remembered this thread from years back. ;-) I've found that most creative people have more than one skill. I know the mainstream press is always snide and disbelieving when, for example, some actor shows up with a guitar or a painting. But we really need to let people BE creative, stop trying to pigeonhole them or put them "in their place". It's good to have a thread where people can hint at their other ventures. Always such a surprising variety. I've had stories, poems, illustrations, articles, 2-d and 3-d graphics published; I've had short films produced; I played guitar for 20 years, plus some drums, keyboard, piano, bass (any instrument that got left around the studio) and was a wiz with old analog studios and audio production; I've done video editing, sound f/x & visual f/x, game world design & programming, even theatrical swordfighting (the only skill of mine that ever doubled as a great workout). Had I not tried to do so many things, I can't imagine what I'd have to write about. It all seems to come from the same zone, a sort of daydreaming state that's far more appealing than reality. All you other artists & split personalities, chime in ...

adagietto
03-24-2011, 03:29 PM
I draw and paint as well as write. More often than I write, probably. ;D Though I think the two kind of go hand in hand, for me.

cryaegm
03-27-2011, 10:46 AM
I don't think that I'm that great of an artist, but others think so. Though, I've been fiddling around with trying out origami and such.

Filigree
04-03-2011, 08:51 AM
I've made my living through art for almost 20 years: commercial art and logo design, jewelry, mask-making, leatherwork, bookbinding, and fiber arts. Like any contract freelance work it can be hit-or-miss, but I enjoy it.

pandora1983
04-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Hi. I thought I remembered this thread from years back. ;-) I've found that most creative people have more than one skill. I know the mainstream press is always snide and disbelieving when, for example, some actor shows up with a guitar or a painting. But we really need to let people BE creative, stop trying to pigeonhole them or put them "in their place". It's good to have a thread where people can hint at their other ventures. Always such a surprising variety. I've had stories, poems, illustrations, articles, 2-d and 3-d graphics published; I've had short films produced; I played guitar for 20 years, plus some drums, keyboard, piano, bass (any instrument that got left around the studio) and was a wiz with old analog studios and audio production; I've done video editing, sound f/x & visual f/x, game world design & programming, even theatrical swordfighting (the only skill of mine that ever doubled as a great workout). Had I not tried to do so many things, I can't imagine what I'd have to write about. It all seems to come from the same zone, a sort of daydreaming state that's far more appealing than reality. All you other artists & split personalities, chime in ...

Yeah. Absolutly. Im only 28 and Ive had more than 28 jobs..never fired just always wanted to do more...anything from working on cruise ships to in a pharmacy..as an intern for deaf and hh people...hence my tagline. Ive got the wanderlust bad.

pandora1983
04-03-2011, 09:06 AM
I forgot to list creative endeavors lol...painting drawing sculpture theater [acting and techie] crochet jewelry making gardening playing a little violin....i know im leaving someout

mkcbunny
04-03-2011, 09:21 AM

No one should feel embarrassed about resurrecing this thread. I'm a misfit, and that's fine with me.

Alessandra Kelley
04-03-2011, 08:24 PM
I feel like a bit of a fraud here. I paint a lot (that's one of mine in my signature) -- in fact, do professional illustration. Also drawing, computer art, web design. And design and sew clothing. But I don't write.

pandora1983
04-04-2011, 01:02 AM
You create comething from nothing. IMHO youre welcome here. Plus talk about networking good for you and us right!

Rhubix
04-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I make a living as an animator (classical 2D character animation and FX) I've animated my fair share of explosions :D
(link in signature has semi-regularly updated sketches)

I've always wanted to learn to knit or crochet, but I've too many time consuming hobbies already. Between drawing, reading, and writing I'd need a few extra days in the week.

I love to sing (to my fiance's dismay) but only in the car and shower.
I also have a bass collecting dust from my years in a teen punk band. needless to say I can't play very well.

I've written for fun all my life, but now that I'm established in my animation career I'm giving it a serious go.
I hope in a hand full of years to move writing to my success list.
I don't think the bass will get a revamp lol.

wheelwriter
04-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Waves at tiny and does secret potter handshake (really involves wiping clay-cover hands on jeans, then realizing hands are too dirty to shake). I make wheel-thrown functional stoneware for the most part, but play a little with raku.

I admire people who can draw, sew, and/or have musical talent. Creating something from nothing is cool.

Alessandra Kelley
04-06-2011, 09:31 PM
It sure is, and I admire them too. I include writing as creating something from nothing, big time.

Strychnine
04-11-2011, 02:57 AM
I did art all through high school and toyed with the idea of taking it further, but I kind of hate that sort of art (as in proper, serious, means-a-lot gallery art) so I decided against it. I do pencil drawings mostly, and I'm best at people. Drawing my characters always seems to cement certain things in my head. I also sew a little in a haphazard sort of way...

Polenth
04-11-2011, 05:09 AM
I enjoy drawing, but I'm not amazing at it. I have trouble making my hands do what I want them to. I also used to think my pictures were childish, but then people told me they looked like picture book art.... so now I can pretend I'm an aspiring children's book illustrator. ;)

CheG
04-11-2011, 06:54 AM
I draw. I like anime and manga and majored in Sequential art in college. I draw for a rubber stamp company but I don't really draw any more unless I have to. I feel like it takes time away from the writing. Of course the computer takes more time than either....

grandmastertuck
04-12-2011, 11:21 PM
I draw (mostly computer-assisted, though the pencil-sketches are where everything starts), I play the drums in a rock-band, and I write. I also built a home-theater for my house, and an arcade-machine to play games on. I guess that makes me ADD...?

poppyseed
04-13-2011, 09:25 AM
I want to learn how to draw so, so bad. I love art and I have always admired those who can do it. I'm thinking of signing up for classes next semester so I can learn.

I can dance pretty good though, and my voice is pleasant, but writing is where my heart is at.

Yeshanu
04-14-2011, 12:59 AM
I never thought of myself as an artist until I ran across the first edition of this book (http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Children-Mona-Brookes/dp/0874778271). I used the lessons in it to teach my two older kids (then five and three) to draw, and learned how to draw myself at the same time.

I do best with "flat" style drawings using markers. I'm in an art group at my church, and I'm going to be in an art show on May 1. I'm really not all that good, but I have fun drawing, and that's what's important. And like Polenth, I had to come to accept that my style of art wasn't childish, but simply different.

As for music, I've played viola since I was 11, and at 50 I'm mediocre (compared to my daughter, who will soon graduate with a B.Mus., and my son, who can learn any instrument in six months or less with no lessons), but I still enjoy playing in a local community orchestra. I was also (until lack of finances interfered) taking singing lessons, and I enjoyed those most of all.

A.V. Hollingshead
04-14-2011, 05:02 PM
I like gardening and cooking, though I never have a place to do the former. I am pretty damn good at the latter, though, and I'm the sort who looks at a recipe once then tosses it and improvises based on the theme. Lots of cultural hybrids come from that. If I ever needed to get a job (as I am a housewife and aspiring novelist, right now), I am hoping to get something involved with the kitchen, even if it is just chopping onions for someone else.

Adobedragon
04-15-2011, 01:28 AM
I've been drawing longer than I've been writing. Nowadays, my drawings get turned into metal yard art, because I like the durability of the media. But I still doodle on paper from time to time, and occasionally do watercolor.

LoopyLinde
04-20-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm technically an artist that writes, rather than the other way around. At least, my degrees are in visual art, and that kind of thing has always come very easily for me.

Writing on the other hand, I do well, but have to work far harder at it. Can't seem to stop though, so I guess I'm doomed. In a good way.

Ryan
04-20-2011, 07:53 AM
I can't draw at all, which depresses me a little because my two sisters are both artists. Maybe I just never tried hard enough, but I never seemed to share their talent for drawing.

If I could draw, I would probably be attempting to make graphic novels or comics in addition to writing short stories and novels.

benbradley
04-20-2011, 08:58 AM
I wrote the lyrics to this (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/musicalgearbox.com/benbradley_5_fullmoonnight_demo.mp3). Okay, maybe I had something to do with the rest of it too.

I feel like a bit of a fraud here. I paint a lot (that's one of mine in my signature) -- in fact, do professional illustration. Also drawing, computer art, web design. And design and sew clothing. But I don't write.
You just wrote a post on a message board, but you don't write? Ahem. :)

muravyets
04-20-2011, 08:17 PM
I've been making and exhibiting, sometimes even selling, collages, constructed sculptures, and artist books for a bit over 25 years now.

I've been writing that long, too, but only recently decided to try for publication.

I do bookbinding as well. I knit some. I have zero aptitude -- no, negative aptitude for music. Music self-destructs when I get near it. :( Oh, well, at least I can hear it.

Filigree
04-21-2011, 04:27 AM
Hey, another book artist! Super Sekrit Handshake time.

muravyets
04-21-2011, 05:20 AM
:D Inner Circle Hip Bump (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haAduyUNQN0&feature=related) as well. ;)

Alessandra Kelley
04-21-2011, 11:55 PM
You just wrote a post on a message board, but you don't write? Ahem. :)

I'm literate. That doesn't mean I go around thinking I can write like a pro.:)

lastlittlebird
04-22-2011, 02:33 PM
I do a bit of vector art. Enough that I'm hoping to make some kind of webcomic at some point.
I can sketch stuff quite prettily if it's in front of me. I loves me some photography. And a bit o' sculpting.

But I don't love that arty stuff enough to really dig in and learn all I can about them.
Not like writing.

Archerbird
04-26-2011, 03:48 AM
I wouldn't call myself a writer, or an artist, but I've painted a couple of pet portraits on commission.
Right now I'm working on a mural for the gym that my office owns.

Not sure I should be flattered that my boss think sweaty people would want to look at my work.

Underthelivingmoon
05-01-2011, 03:47 AM
I have to agree with several of the other posters. Usually creative people of any type are multi-faceted. Writing is my passion but I also love to paint and cook (sadly becoming a lost art for many people).

c.m.n.
05-01-2011, 05:17 AM
Of course, I am pretty good at computer graphic design, but does that even count?

I say YES! That sure does count!

I can't draw... well, I don't like to anyway. But I love computer graphics. I'm always creating fun concept art for my story with Poser, then I take said pictures in Photoshop to play with.
I am also learning how to model in 3dMax.

AetherNyx
05-18-2011, 12:21 AM
I've been drawing my entire life, writing began about 9 years ago (granted there was a period of a few years where I didn't write). If I were able to do my own covers or inside illustrations, that'd be pretty swell.

If anyone is curious: http://kivulimwitu.deviantart.com

AinSoph
07-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Very cool to see so many multi-talented folks in here, and I peeked at some of your links (muravyets! gorgeous!). I have always had trouble deciding between writing and art as my main focus but for me, right now, writing is taking precedence. I still paint and sculpt, though, and visual arts have been creeping back into my life in a bigger way lately.

Eva Lefoy
07-17-2011, 07:54 AM
I more often have a camera in hand than a paint brush. But I don't know if that's considered artistic or not.

However, I do enjoy it!

Eva Lefoy
07-17-2011, 07:56 AM
I've always wanted to learn to knit or crochet, but I've too many time consuming hobbies already. Between drawing, reading, and writing I'd need a few extra days in the week.

you may like this: http://www.knitgrrl.com/?page_id=533

How to knit in the woods :)

Mutive
07-18-2011, 09:09 PM
I can't draw. But I do pattern make and create costumes and garments. Hah. I totally need to write more often about fashion. ;)

Lilwritermonkey
07-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Besides writing, I paint abstracts, crochet and I am very good at trivia (if that counts lol) Also, I am currently seeking schools to get my degree in Illustration. :)

The Unseen Moon
07-30-2011, 07:08 AM
Yeah. I'm one who likes to draw my characters. But that's because I have a hard time describing physical features of characters beyond the bare basics.

alegory
07-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I had a friend when I was younger who could draw really great little cartoons and I envied her like mad because I couldn't draw a thing. I took GCSE art because I had to do an arts subject and liked the idea of it and, in the process, discovered I'm not bad at portraits, of all things. I'm a pencil and paper girl- I like the tonal side of it and the black (well, grey) and white and how much control I have over the medium (I paint too from time to time but I'm a little unwieldy!)

Unfortunately for me, drawing something decent does not come too naturally and therefore takes a long time that I'd rather spend writing so I don't do it as often as I'd like.

Oh, and, like The Unseen Moon, I've sometimes drawn my characters.

IsisAnalysis
08-21-2011, 11:41 PM
I do pattern make and create costumes and garments.

I do that too! I also paint and draw.

Leigha David
09-06-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm pretty versatile art-wise. I draw AND write. Actually, when I have a spell of writers block, I'll usually sit down and start sketching scenerios from my book. It usually helps me. :)

Jehhillenberg
09-18-2011, 07:26 AM
former art school student. I draw and sketch; though not the best with real people, but I've attempted sketching my characters. Photography is my thing as well and of course videoing. Dabbled into painting.

M R Mortimer
09-19-2011, 04:45 AM
Yeah - I draw, I do my own cover designs (first two books and a draft cover candidate of my third below)

I am musically inclined - sing, play guiter, bass etc.

I even have an MMORPG I spent a lot of 2010 working on (and not much of 2011 but I still dabble in it a bit here ant there - it will see the light of day some time when such things are out of favour no doubt lol) - find it at www.postexodus.com - making such a thing solo is so much harder than writing!

Easier than the MMORPG are the virtual pinball games I spent many years making many hundreds of.

as for those book covers: (I hope they aren't too huge - crosses fingers they show up ok!)

[Deleted due to size and hotlinking...]

Tepelus
09-23-2011, 05:36 AM
I just joined deviantART and have a few things posted on there. I've just started getting back into drawing again, yet my novel sits. I'll get back to that soon as well.

http://tepelus.deviantart.com/

Alan_Often
09-23-2011, 05:45 AM
I'm a CG artist by day, working in the asset department on all those big budget films people love to tear apart! ;) My specialties are 3D modelling and surfacing; those two disciplines have so far comprised the bulk of my professional career.

DaveKuzminski
09-28-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm seeking someone willing to do a cover on commission. It's nautical and fantasy. Contact me at d.l.kuzminski@att.net for a description of the vessel I wish drawn and then we can negotiate once you know the parameters of what I want drawn.

AgathaChristieFan
10-23-2011, 10:04 AM
I've been drawing since I was eight. When I was a kid, I used to draw comic strips all the time. My characters had formed a detective club; I was a huge fan of "Harriet the Spy" and "Ghostwriter". For the past three years (I'm in my late twenties now), I've been working on graphic novels. It's the best of both worlds as an artist and writer. Now, I'm trying to focus more on just writing normal stories again.

When I write, I like to draw my characters, settings (interior designs of my character's homes, work places) so it's easier to describe in words on paper.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-23-2011, 06:49 PM
We welcome pictures of all projects... but please upload them in a reasonable size from a site like photobucket. The folks with dial-up and the folks whose bandwidth is stolen by hotlinking will thank you, and I thank you, too.

BeatrixKiddo
10-28-2011, 06:37 AM
I've been drawing since I was a kid and I consider myself a decent artist but my stuff is nothing compared to what's out there now, especially with all the art computer programs. Man, a lot of folks' art blows my stuff away.

The funny thing is, when I was younger, I had a tendency to draw the characters of the stories in my head, but then I'd never write the story. lol. (I still do that sometimes) I'd fall in love with some character I had drawn and I'd even tweak that character for years, but I'd never write about that character! lol.

It's really only dawned on me the past few years that maybe I needed to try the writing part too. I look back at old artwork from years ago sometimes and I'll be surprised to find a character I had drawn for some story idea at the time but then completely forgot about only to rediscover ages later.

I never did much with my artwork. It's mostly a hobby and I don't draw nearly as much as I used to.

Anjasa
01-02-2012, 06:40 PM
I draw! Not as well as I'd like, but I do.

If anyone has DeviantArt feel free to friend me :)

http://anjasa.deviantart.com/

Tepelus
01-03-2012, 03:14 AM
I draw! Not as well as I'd like, but I do.

If anyone has DeviantArt feel free to friend me :)

http://anjasa.deviantart.com/

I'm on DeviantArt as well, and you're now on my watch list.

icerose
01-03-2012, 07:16 PM
I sketch, paint, sew, crochet, bead, sing, and play the piano. I am not an expert in any of these by any means, but I do enjoy them.

thethinker42
01-03-2012, 07:27 PM
I like to draw, but can't actually do it well to save my life. Doesn't stop me from making a really amateurishly drawn webcomic (http://marginallyunhinged.blogspot.com).

I used to be a professional photographer and still carry my camera with me almost everywhere I go, and I'm starting to get back into sculpting (mostly horses). Always wanted to graffiti an overpass, too...

firedrake
01-03-2012, 07:36 PM
I can draw very well. I just haven't picked up a pencil for that purpose for years.
I used to design and make cards and also do watercolour miniatures, mainly animal portraits.
I don't have the time or, sadly, the materials to draw these days. :(

AndreaGS
01-20-2012, 08:14 PM
I draw and paint! :D

I love painting my characters - and I dream about doing my own book covers, though I think it's probably not going to happen. I used to paint professionally, but I've been focusing on the writing, and with the day job on top of that, I can't take on commissions anymore.

When I've had a particularly good day, or on the weekends when I'm ahead on the word count and there's nothing to do on our suburban farm, I do still paint.

I'm on deviantart, somewhere...haven't logged on to there in forever.

toogrey2
01-21-2012, 12:08 AM
I studied art. I draw, paint, needlework, crafts. I draw my characters, setting, maps. It helps me see my worlds.

AndreaGS
01-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Oooh! Toogrey2, did you do that needlepoint in your icon? It's gorgeous!

CChampeau
01-21-2012, 06:50 AM
I've been drawing since I could pick up a crayon. But I never learned how to paint or do CG. In fact, all I know how to do art with is a #2 pencil. Kinda sad I know. :P

DoomBunny
01-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm an art school dropout and former CG artist. Now I mostly paint and draw, and sculpt in polymer clay when I can afford it. I'm on dA at http://hedgeer.deviantart.com/gallery/, don't post very often though.

Maramoser
01-29-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm taking my first ever drawing class this semester and I'm really excited. It's an intro class but we get to do some life drawing towards the end! Hopefully I'll have something to show for it soon.

DoomBunny
01-29-2012, 01:52 AM
If you've got a good teacher who makes the most of the model's time, life drawing is amazing. I found it physically exhausting but I learned so much from it.

Al Stevens
01-29-2012, 02:52 AM
I was a newspaper cartoonist in the 1970s until my humor became too politically incorrect, at which point I was a former newspaper cartoonist. I illustrated one of my computer programming books.

I used to sculpt in wood and clay until I realized there was no money in it.

I am a musician. No money in that either.

I cannot cook, the most important art of them all. Which is why I remarried my ex-wife--well, one of the reasons.

Tyrannosaurus Rex
01-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Amateur artist here. I like to draw on paper, scan the drawing in, and color it with GIMP. My stuff can be viewed at my DA page (http://jabrosky.deviantart.com/). One example of my work:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/026/e/e/kasaqa__kentake_of_kush_by_jabrosky-d4ndbt4.jpg
Kasaqa, a proud and compassionate Nubian warrior queen who must retake her throne from her younger sister

Omnigon
02-01-2012, 12:55 AM
I was drawing before I was writing, and studied art before I studied writing. I love doing both, but my problem is I can't devote 100% to developing and polishing both, so my art has taken a back seat these days. Arggh, anyone else have this issue?

I started a Deviant Art account years ago; its been more or less neglected for some time while I've been struggling to finish my novel/series. But I absolutely loved doing this kind of stuff once (http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/044/7/3/Dual_Wielder_by_omnigon.jpg).

Alas, my poor art has been left sort of dangling, still waiting to develop and go somewhere. :)

My DA: http://omnigon.deviantart.com (http://omnigon.deviantart.com/)

Tepelus
02-01-2012, 02:31 AM
I was drawing before I was writing, and studied art before I studied writing. I love doing both, but my problem is I can't devote 100% to developing and polishing both, so my art has taken a back seat these days. Arggh, anyone else have this issue?

I started a Deviant Art account years ago; its been more or less neglected for some time while I've been struggling to finish my novel/series. But I absolutely loved doing this kind of stuff once (http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/044/7/3/Dual_Wielder_by_omnigon.jpg).

Alas, my poor art has been left sort of dangling, still waiting to develop and go somewhere. :)

My DA: http://omnigon.deviantart.com (http://omnigon.deviantart.com/)

I most certainly do. I don't draw much because it takes a lot of time to draw something that looks great. And writing takes a lot of time to create a story that reads well. Both are time consuming, so nowadays writing takes up my hobby time. In the past it was always the other way around. I have a DA account too, but haven't added anything to it for a few months.

Alessandra Kelley
02-01-2012, 02:50 AM
I introduced myself before, but I wanted to say hi to the new folks on the thread. I'm kind of a ringer here -- I'm a professional artist, and not actually a writer.

I do like looking at your arts and avvies.

Nissie
02-01-2012, 05:28 AM
I know how to sketch and paint on occasion, but I think I'm unusual in that I crochet, and do it a lot.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/174/6/f/plants_versus_zombies_dolls_by_nissie-d3jskon.jpg

Got a deviantart (http://nissie.deviantart.com) account for it, too!

Alessandra Kelley
02-01-2012, 05:30 AM
I know how to sketch and paint on occasion, but I think I'm unusual in that I crochet, and do it a lot.

Gah! Those are adorable.

AKyber36
02-01-2012, 10:33 AM
I was an artist before I was kindly taught and guided into writing by some great language arts teachers. So for me, drawing out characters, environments, and creating all sorts of minute details contributes largely to how the written stories pan out.

My Deviantart gallery, if anyone's interested: http://rinoadestiny.deviantart.com/gallery/

DoomBunny
02-12-2012, 01:14 PM

That is the most awesome thing I have ever seen.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
02-13-2012, 04:55 PM

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/174/6/f/plants_versus_zombies_dolls_by_nissie-d3jskon.jpg

Fabulous! You should start an etsy store. You could totally sell those there too.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
02-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Draw, paint, scrapbook, decorate, garden, cook...pretty much anything creative. I've told friends that if you stand still long enough, I'll paint you. :D

I love going to someplace like Value Village, buying a dresser or a chest for $20, and turning it into a work of art. It's kind of my thing, when I'm not writing.

Wish I could sew or crochet or something, but I don't have the patience for it.

There for a while, I was REALLY into scrapbooking. But not the cheesy, candy-colored stuff. Mine are scrapbooks that go with my genealogy book I'm writing. I use duller, old-fashioned colors, with real historical content and photos. I needed something to do with all the historical photos I was getting, so when I go meet cousins, I take the books with me. I call them my "advertising tools," so cousins can see how we're related. Then they get excited about contributing their own information.

C. R. Reaves
02-14-2012, 01:05 PM
I learned to draw completely to support my writing. Or, rather, greed. xD; I saw in the fanfiction communities, fan characters would get more artwork drawn of them if the author had artwork of the characters somewhere. So I took my vague interest at art at 17 and practiced in the hopes of attracting artists to my works.

For a few years, art is what I concentrated on, but not so much lately. Tried to decide what sort of art to display to capture my works and couldn't decide so - thumbnails for two! My more comic-y style and a cutesier style. In any case, I love costumes.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/klawzie/art/th_koreangirlfordollmoreSM.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/klawzie/art/?action=view&current=koreangirlfordollmoreSM.jpg)http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/klawzie/art/th_layerabuse.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/klawzie/art/?action=view&current=layerabuse.jpg)
http://klawzie.tumblr.com

Besides writing and arting, I sometimes make things out of clay. I have the supplies to turn my artwork into resin jewelry, but I haven't played with that yet. I used to be into dance/flag team and aikido, though I'm not sure if you'd count aikido as a "creative" thing or not. xD;

Snowball2695
02-22-2012, 07:40 PM
I used to find myself drawing random things that had nothing to due with my writing (like doodles on my algebra 2 notes), but now I find myself relying on my drawing for not only inspiration but as a creative outlet in itself. I can't even begin to fathom how many hours I've spent sketching out concept pages for things like manga, it's unreal.

Too bad my drawing sucks.

Tepelus
02-23-2012, 01:08 AM
I'm working on a scene from my WIP right now, it's nearly done (the drawing), taking a break from writing for a few days. Also, the picture wouldn't leave me alone until I got it on paper. When it's done I'll post it on DeviantArt, and maybe here too. Or just post a link to DA to the drawing.

Tepelus
02-23-2012, 08:25 AM
http://tepelus.deviantart.com/#/d4qnwjz

Finished my drawing tonight. Y'all may go take a look if you want to.

thethinker42
02-23-2012, 08:53 AM
http://tepelus.deviantart.com/#/d4qnwjz

Finished my drawing tonight. Y'all may go take a look if you want to.

Wow, the detail on that is amazing.

Tepelus
02-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Thank you!

Bogna
02-24-2012, 10:44 PM
I drew this for a good friend who is possibly about to go through a divorce. He works in a lab that is in charge of preforming autopsies on the whales that wash up on our beaches.

http://i39.tinypic.com/124jv2x.jpg

LadyA
02-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Wow, you guys' drawings are awesome!

I liked drawing when I was little because although I couldn't master writing (I wrote my name backwards for ages - being left handed, I had issues with things like that ;) ), mainly rather square-nosed horses. I've mainly drawn horses, all my life, and now I draw people - I'm doing A2 (senior year) Art, and we have so much coursework it's UNREAL. I haven't got any pictures of my recent scribblings, I can only find a meh one I did when I was 15 (I'm 18 now) before I'd learn what I know now about portraiture:
http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt292/AmyUren_photo/100_1392-2.jpg

LadyA
02-24-2012, 11:17 PM
If you've got a good teacher who makes the most of the model's time, life drawing is amazing. I found it physically exhausting but I learned so much from it.

Life drawing is amazing, but we all had our hopes a little too high when we first did it in class. We were hoping for a hottie and got an old man with a beer belly, who liked to have frequent breaks to walk round the class, buck naked, commenting on our work and saying we'd drawn him too fat. We didn't know where to look!

Tepelus
02-25-2012, 04:41 AM
Life drawing is amazing, but we all had our hopes a little too high when we first did it in class. We were hoping for a hottie and got an old man with a beer belly, who liked to have frequent breaks to walk round the class, buck naked, commenting on our work and saying we'd drawn him too fat. We didn't know where to look!

Oh my, that is too funny! The closest thing to life drawing I've done in school is that of one of the students sitting on a stool and we had to draw them within a short time frame, like five minutes, or something. I draw slowly, like my writing. I wanted to do comics when I was a teen, but because of my speed (which I guess I could have practiced on more) I don't think that would have worked out. You say you drew that picture when you were fifteen, that's better than I could do at that age. I was more into drawing animals than people at that time which I was quite good at. I started getting into drawing people when I became interested in comics.

After high school I hadn't drawn or painted much for years, a drawing here or there has become my norm now. This past September I drew a portrait of my current boyfriend, and yesterday I dug out an old portrait of my ex I drew about seven or eight years ago and couldn't believe the difference, and I hadn't even practiced drawing faces much at all between the two portraits! I don't know how I improved so much without the practice, but I had. It boggles my mind.

Alessandra Kelley
02-25-2012, 04:51 AM
Life drawing is great! You kind of have to get used to it.

In art school we drew so many different people, of different ages and body types. I originally worked very slowly, but some of the models took a new pose every minute and some teachers wanted faster work. I learned to do a quick sketch and then refine it and refine it again, so that no matter when the pose ended I had some simulacrum of a drawing.

We were lucky. If our models came around to look at our work, they wore bathrobes.

EzzyAlpha
02-25-2012, 06:39 AM
As a comic book author in training, I both write and draw. Not very well though.

Fun fact, I am actually in art school. Fun times.

I like drawing in a more manga style, realism is somewhat boring and cartoony styles can't really be used for more dramatic things.

My deviantArt is http://diana-m.deviantart.com. I also post writing there.

I wish I could do life drawing more, it's rather fun.

FabricatedParadise
02-25-2012, 06:49 AM
I draw, but not very well. The stuff here is so much better than mine.

I sing too. The few people who've heard me have tried to get me to do it for like contests, etc. But I have horrible stage fright. The best I'll do is sing in the car.

Alessandra Kelley
02-25-2012, 07:35 PM
As a comic book author in training, I both write and draw. Not very well though.

Fun fact, I am actually in art school. Fun times.

I like drawing in a more manga style, realism is somewhat boring and cartoony styles can't really be used for more dramatic things.

My deviantArt is http://diana-m.deviantart.com. I also post writing there.

I wish I could do life drawing more, it's rather fun.

I think this guy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0841.html) does a great job of using a cartoony style for things so dramatic (like this day's strip) that they couldn't easily be done in a realistic style.

EzzyAlpha
02-25-2012, 10:53 PM
I never really liked Order of the Stick. The art greatly undermines the plot, it just doesn't work for me.

It's really a matter of personal preference.

Alessandra Kelley
02-26-2012, 09:09 PM
I never really liked Order of the Stick. The art greatly undermines the plot, it just doesn't work for me.

It's really a matter of personal preference.

That's ok.

Personally, I found out a long time ago that I will enjoy a good comic book story, even if it has atrocious art (and I consider Rich Burlew's art far better than atrocious), but no amount of gorgeous art can get me interested in a weak or poor story.

JoyceH
06-15-2012, 12:13 AM
I just started drawing a few months ago. Don't know why, it was just something I suddenly wanted to do. Last time I drew was in high school, and I was pretty bad at it then. But turns out there are BOOKS that explain things, like perspective and shading and 'draw what you see, not what you know'. I draw a bit most days and find it relaxing; some efforts are better than others.

I'm considering doing a blog post of my 'dog art' - when I'm looking around for something to draw, my dog is usually right there. The drawings aren't very good, but they amuse me.

pandaponies
06-15-2012, 06:57 AM
I'm pretty sure I actually draw a lot better than I write... I actually make money drawing, hah. Pet portraits, usually horses. Occasionally dogs.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8160/7188424983_926936c939.jpg

Working on one right now, actually. Or, well, procrastinating on working on one. :P

Tepelus
06-16-2012, 02:29 AM
That's a very good drawing, pandaponies! What size paper?

pandaponies
06-16-2012, 03:14 AM
Thanks! That one was 14"x11". Charcoal. I've tried to work in graphite and always just end up gravitating back to charcoal. :P

Jessica_312
06-16-2012, 03:34 AM
That's gorgeous, pandaponies! You're very talented :D

I sketch, but nowhere near that good. Never took lessons and haven't picked up a sketchpad in years. This is about the best I've got LOL. Like I said, nowhere near the caliber of a lot of what I'm seeing on this thread. Just something I liked to mess around with once in a while :D I tried my hand at painting, too, but those are even more godawful.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/Jessica_312/73531_10100111127765912_652865_n.jpg

pandaponies
06-16-2012, 04:37 AM
Thank you very much, Jessica! Nothing godawful about your sketch in my opinion. It just looks like a perfectly good sketch to me, that's all! I bet if you sat down and poured hours into a portrait or something, you'd be surprised at what you could do :). Plus, I've had tons of practice. It's a learning process, and practice makes perfect.

I tried painting too, briefly... the finished products were good, it just... wasn't for me. :P Too messy, too space-consuming, takes too long (edit: plus paint and canvas are too expensive :P). Unfortunately it brought on a slew of "Oh, COLOR!!! I want a painting for my birthday! Don't buy me a Christmas present, just PAINT me something!" *facepalm* I'm STILL having to say "No, I don't paint anymore, sorry. Would you like something in charcoal?" :P

Alessandra Kelley
06-16-2012, 05:20 AM
Thanks! That one was 14"x11". Charcoal. I've tried to work in graphite and always just end up gravitating back to charcoal. :P

Oh! I would have guessed graphite. But then, I've always been fumble-fingered with charcoal. That's a lovely portrait.

Tepelus
06-16-2012, 06:39 AM
I thought graphite too. I tried charcoal many moons ago in school but never liked it. I've painted too, but it is messy and more time consuming than pencils. I've dabbled in ink before, mostly just comic book characters. I don't draw that much anymore. Every once in a while the drawing spark shows up for a few days and I get a project done and then it's months (and sometimes years) before I draw anything again.

pandaponies
06-16-2012, 07:00 AM
That's a lovely portrait.
Thank you!!

Re: charcoal vs. graphite - In my opinion, it is easier to get more depth with charcoal. However, from my own experiences and from what I've seen of others' work, in general, it is easier to get finer detail with graphite. I think that's one reason I like working in charcoal: it's kind of like a challenge to me, I guess. I know a lot of people don't like it, but I don't know. Charcoal and I just "click." ;)

Jessica_312
06-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Thank you very much, Jessica! Nothing godawful about your sketch in my opinion. It just looks like a perfectly good sketch to me, that's all! I bet if you sat down and poured hours into a portrait or something, you'd be surprised at what you could do :). Plus, I've had tons of practice. It's a learning process, and practice makes perfect.

I tried painting too, briefly... the finished products were good, it just... wasn't for me. :P Too messy, too space-consuming, takes too long (edit: plus paint and canvas are too expensive :P). Unfortunately it brought on a slew of "Oh, COLOR!!! I want a painting for my birthday! Don't buy me a Christmas present, just PAINT me something!" *facepalm* I'm STILL having to say "No, I don't paint anymore, sorry. Would you like something in charcoal?" :P

Yeah I was not a fan of painting. I had no technique whatsoever so it was pretty much just me globbing paint randomly on a canvas lol. Never really got the hang of it.

JoyceH
06-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Okay, I worked up the nerve and blog-posted my Dog Art. Not saying it's much good, but I get a kick out of it -

http://joyceharmon.wordpress.com/2012/06/17/dog-art/

The close-up on Maggie's face does look quite like her.

Filigree
06-18-2012, 06:44 AM
I like them, Joyce. They have great expressions, and the simplicity is refreshing.

thebloodfiend
06-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Thank you!!

Re: charcoal vs. graphite - In my opinion, it is easier to get more depth with charcoal. However, from my own experiences and from what I've seen of others' work, in general, it is easier to get finer detail with graphite. I think that's one reason I like working in charcoal: it's kind of like a challenge to me, I guess. I know a lot of people don't like it, but I don't know. Charcoal and I just "click." ;)

I hate charcoal. But it's amazing what some people can do with it -- people like you. That^ is awesome.

Myself, I like graphite. I have a few crappy drawings I might post up when I get off from work later.

Xelebes
06-18-2012, 07:54 PM
The normal technique of charcoal (sketching) causes spasms for me. The only way I will use charcoal is by painting (grinding up the charcoal and paint by pushing the charcoal into the paper.)

pandaponies
06-18-2012, 11:44 PM
Joyce - I think they're super cute!! :)

bloodfiend - Aww, thank you so much! And pft, I'm sure your drawings aren't crappy. You should definitely post them. :D

Xelebes - That sounds really interesting, grinding it up first? What do you push it in with, tortillons/blending stumps or? Do you have any finished product pics? :D I think my technique is somewhere in between sketching and what you do - I lightly sketch on an area and then blend with a tortillon. If it's a darker area, I put more charcoal down and repeat process, obviously with the softest charcoal on the darkest areas. I rely HEAVILY on the blending/tortillons lol, I spend way more time using them than actually putting charcoal on the page. I take for-freaking-EVER, but I like the smoother (vs. more sketchy) look in the end so I feel like it's worth it.

JoyceH
06-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Joyce - I think they're super cute!! :)

Thanks! It helps to have a super cute subject. And I hope people don't think I'm neglecting the cats - I TRY to draw my guys, but I have two black cats and what I wind up with is black blobs with ears.

Xelebes
06-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Xelebes - That sounds really interesting, grinding it up first? What do you push it in with, tortillons/blending stumps or? Do you have any finished product pics? :D I think my technique is somewhere in between sketching and what you do - I lightly sketch on an area and then blend with a tortillon. If it's a darker area, I put more charcoal down and repeat process, obviously with the softest charcoal on the darkest areas. I rely HEAVILY on the blending/tortillons lol, I spend way more time using them than actually putting charcoal on the page. I take for-freaking-EVER, but I like the smoother (vs. more sketchy) look in the end so I feel like it's worth it.

I guess they would be called blending stumps. It's what I did in art class. I haven't done anything in charcoal in a loooong time (think junior high.)

Archerbird
06-19-2012, 01:28 AM
I'm pretty sure I actually draw a lot better than I write... I actually make money drawing, hah. Pet portraits, usually horses. Occasionally dogs.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8160/7188424983_926936c939.jpg

Working on one right now, actually. Or, well, procrastinating on working on one. :P

Okay, that's close to brilliant. I never could draw horses. And charcoal..uh... that's pretty impressing. :)

pandaponies
06-19-2012, 02:40 AM
Archerbird - Thank you so much, you're so nice. <3

Something I've always been curious about is mixing media. I've seen some INCREDIBLY realistic drawings where graphite is used on most of the drawing (for the aforementioned ease of fine detail), and charcoal is added only for the dark parts for the range of value. I sort of tried it... once... but I found the shine on the graphite too distracting. :( It didn't quite work for me. I'd like to give it another go sometime though because the results look amazing. ...With something I'm drawing for myself (lol, like that ever happens) so I don't risk screwing up a commission. :P

thebloodfiend
06-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Question -- how do you do the hair/fur with charcoal?

pandaponies
06-19-2012, 02:50 AM
I lightly shade over the whole area, then sharpen a charcoal pencil and roll my kneaded eraser both to a fine point, go through and add darker lines and use the eraser point to pull up charcoal for the highlights of the individual hairs. It's my least favorite part. :P

thebloodfiend
06-19-2012, 03:13 AM
Sounds like a pain in the ass. I'm working with a charcoal still life for class and I can't express how much I hate it. I'm just glad it's not life drawing.

YeonAh
06-19-2012, 04:06 AM
Forever impressed by people who can work in charcoal. And slightly jealous /pout.

Studying in Fine Arts, Design, so I'm getting to experiment with drawing and stuff to a degree. Sadly nowhere as good as most of the people in my class, but hey, it's a four-year program, maybe I'll get better eventually >.> I can make a mean photo-manip on Photoshop?

How does charcoal work when you're left-handed? I seem to have an issue of smudging over my work, constantly.

pandaponies
06-19-2012, 04:12 AM
bloodfiend - LOL. It is a pain in the ass, definitely.

YeonAh - I'm right-handed, but I work right to left, so same problem. :P Put a piece of paper underneath your hand and try not to move it while you work. Solves about 95% of the smudging problem for me.

Tepelus
06-19-2012, 05:18 AM
I try to work left to right, because I'm right handed, to avoid smearing the paper with my hand, but it doesn't always happen that way. Like panda said, place another sheet of paper over the drawing, or learn to keep your hand from resting on the paper. That takes a bit to get used to. It is something I had to get used to when painting, so I try to do the same with the pencil, when I used to paint anyway.

YeonAh
06-19-2012, 05:20 AM
YeonAh - I'm right-handed, but I work right to left, so same problem. :P Put a piece of paper underneath your hand and try not to move it while you work. Solves about 95% of the smudging problem for me.

That...sounds smart XD Thanks! I'll have to try that next time.

EDIT: And thanks Tepelus too! Didn't see your post before replying >< Painting doesn't seem to be an issue...just charcoal and pencil.

BigWords
06-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Forever impressed by people who can work in charcoal. And slightly jealous /pout.

One of the ways I compensate for the heavy-handedness I have with charcoals is to work three or four times up (shrinking the artwork massively so that it comes out looking cleaner). Yes, it is cheating, but most of the uses I have for my art are in print or digital, and nobody knows the difference unless I tell them. :D

YeonAh
06-19-2012, 04:56 PM
One of the ways I compensate for the heavy-handedness I have with charcoals is to work three or four times up (shrinking the artwork massively so that it comes out looking cleaner). Yes, it is cheating, but most of the uses I have for my art are in print or digital, and nobody knows the difference unless I tell them. :D

Sneaky! And yet it makes perfect sense. How up-scaled are we talking here, from a 11x17 paper to 3x5, or even more drastic? Or do you just scan it in (if you can scan charcoal without it smudging?) at a super-high dpi so it gets blown up on the computer, and shrink it down then?

BigWords
06-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Oh, I go nuts with the sizes - A3 (297 × 420 mm) shrunk down to fit on a computer screen. :D And the fixative really does work, but you have to use it with ventilation, otherwise the effects on the user are pretty much immediate and last all night (don't ask, and try not to think of the mess). I don't mess with the image in Photoshop much other than fixing issues with contrast (making sure the blacks are black), but I sometimes take out the smudges and little marks which aren't meant to be there.

Pencil art, especially with high resolution, is much better for when time is an issue, but I sometimes can't help the urge to crack out the massive sheets of paper. :)

Archerbird
06-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Archerbird - Thank you so much, you're so nice. <3

Something I've always been curious about is mixing media. I've seen some INCREDIBLY realistic drawings where graphite is used on most of the drawing (for the aforementioned ease of fine detail), and charcoal is added only for the dark parts for the range of value. I sort of tried it... once... but I found the shine on the graphite too distracting. :( It didn't quite work for me. I'd like to give it another go sometime though because the results look amazing. ...With something I'm drawing for myself (lol, like that ever happens) so I don't risk screwing up a commission. :P

Hang on, I'll try that again....

Edit; Sorry.

If you want to use graphite; I know that some people who use graphite like to darken with diluted acrylic/ink before laying the graphite lightly on. It shines just as much but you might be able to get a darker shade than with the graphite alone. Probably worth experimenting with too.
(Done. I think.)

Just a suggestion. :)

BigWords
06-19-2012, 08:12 PM
I have a lot of time for mixed media, this (http://bigwords88.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/shockwave-sm.jpg) was an ink base (regular art pens) with the blacks filled in with Indian ink, shading with pastels and charcoal, then tweaked in Photoshop. I know it is looked down on by some, but I do each panel individually then piece the page together, cropping some images and opening others out. Takes an incredible amount of patience, but it looks (hopefully) unlike anything which others are doing.

Alessandra Kelley
06-20-2012, 03:52 AM

How is that cheating? It sounds great to me. I thought it was industry standard to do artwork much bigger than the reproduction. One of my friends did big, stippled drawings of fish and fossils and bones to be reduced to a quarter the size. And paintings for mass market paperback covers (finished size: 10.5 cm x 17.5 cm) are, or were last I checked, routinely done at 61 x 91.5 cm (that's 24" x 36" for us backwards USers). Comic book pages are, or used to be, drawn almost twice the size of the magazines.

I have a lot of time for mixed media, this (http://bigwords88.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/shockwave-sm.jpg) was an ink base (regular art pens) with the blacks filled in with Indian ink, shading with pastels and charcoal, then tweaked in Photoshop. I know it is looked down on by some, but I do each panel individually then piece the page together, cropping some images and opening others out. Takes an incredible amount of patience, but it looks (hopefully) unlike anything which others are doing.

It's very nice. Very atmospheric.

But again, I'm confused. What do you mean "looked down on?" Are there actually people who say there are rules you must follow about making art, rather than whatever works to make it work?

I'm probably jumping to some conclusions here. I'd like to hear more about what you're doing, rather than spout opinions which may be based on my misunderstanding.

Oh -- and what's your opinion on spray fixative? I'm not sure I like it (worried about permanence as well as not breathing the stuff, and it's left a few drawings blodgy). On the other hand, I don't know if one can really use charcoal without it.

BTW, anybody using dust masks when using charcoal? It's not nearly as hazardous as pastels, but charcoal dust can still cause lung irritation.

BigWords
06-20-2012, 10:45 PM
How is that cheating? It sounds great to me. I thought it was industry standard to do artwork much bigger than the reproduction.

This is much bigger than normal - two up is pretty much standard among everyone I talk to, but I can go up to twelve times bigger for certain things.

But again, I'm confused. What do you mean "looked down on?" Are there actually people who say there are rules you must follow about making art, rather than whatever works to make it work?

Pages are normally done-in-one. Piecing them together from different pages of artwork (so I can endlessly play with positioning and gutters) seems to work better for me than fitting everything onto a page straight away. I still use thumbnails, though I'm less reliant on them than most

Oh -- and what's your opinion on spray fixative? I'm not sure I like it (worried about permanence as well as not breathing the stuff, and it's left a few drawings blodgy). On the other hand, I don't know if one can really use charcoal without it.

The Daler Rowney one (big white tin) only needs a light covering - you may need to do a second covering of spray five minutes after the first - leaves a nice finish on pieces, and hasn't marked any of the covers I slip the art into. Make sure the page doesn't have any lumps of charcoal on it, or it might end up sticking to the plastic sleeve when you come to remove it later.

zanzjan
06-21-2012, 04:11 AM
Are there actually people who say there are rules you must follow about making art, rather than whatever works to make it work?

:Wha: You're joking, right?

One of the reasons I eventually jumped the fence from art to writing was an inability to deal with the whole "my way/style/medium/vision is the One True Path to Art" attitude that seemed pervasive, at least around where I was.

(Also, because writing takes up a lot less space in my house and garage.)

L M Ashton
06-22-2012, 05:13 AM
I had no idea there were "rules". As far as I'm concerned, and I'm no artist, so what do I know, if it works, it works.

Speaking of me being no artist, I've recently been trying my hand at graphic illustration. I'm at the very very very beginning stages. I've never been one to sketch or paint or whatever. I stopped as soon as fingerpaints ceased to be mandatory in elementary school. I think I was too tired of the mocking and belittling.

So, emotionally, starting to sketch on my iPad with a stylus is a pretty big deal. Learning how to do graphic design is a pretty big deal. And the odd (from my perspective) thing about this is that a. I'm not nearly as bad as I thought I was (although I have no particular talent - just that I'm not absolutely horrible) and b. I'm enjoying it far more than I ever thought I would.

My impetus is that the husband is a mobile developer, and if I can get good enough to contribute some simple graphics, that would be great. I don't expect I'll ever be a true artist like a lot of people I know, and that's okay. I'm aiming for competency and good enough. :)

WildScribe
06-22-2012, 05:33 AM
I can't draw worth anything (I'm always impressed by people who can, though!) but I am a more-than-average photographer. I apparently just sort of have an eye for composition. I used to write songs, too, but I am a merely average singer and don't really bother anymore.

Esper
06-22-2012, 06:49 AM
I got my associates in art before I switched to a writing degree for my bachelors. My art tends to have some storytelling intent behind it.

I distinctly remember my 2D Design professor telling me I couldn't tell a story or create a scene on one of the projects. It irked me so bad and I ended up with a C on that project because I couldn't find a way to put any heart into it.

zanzjan
06-22-2012, 07:37 AM
I apparently just sort of have an eye for composition.

That's no small thing, actually. :)

thebloodfiend
06-27-2012, 06:07 AM
My midterm. Wish I had more time to work on it. We had two days. There's a lot I'd fix and I'm not particularly happy with it. Oh well. Onto my final. Maybe I'll re-draw it in a few months when I have more time. Chuck Close is a beast to imitate though.http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x433/thebloodfiend/image.jpg

Chumplet
06-27-2012, 06:39 AM
I haven't worked in charcoal since college but I've always enjoyed chiaroscuro. My preferred medium is watercolour, and the subject is usually horses. But I also do dogs, cats, birds, sailboats...

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w218/Chumplet/Sunny_2.jpg

Filigree
06-27-2012, 07:18 AM
I'm from the down-n-dirty world of commercial art, where we smile at MFA puppies who declaim 'my Art is the One True Path' - and then we eat them for breakfast. Or worse, seduce them over to the dark side with cash and valuable prizes. Whichever path, medium, or technique gets the job done quickly and with the least material and labor cost - that is the day's One True Path.

I've found that freedom in different fiction genres, too.

icerose
08-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Well I finally got up the nerve to post my work. It has lots of flaws. I have a long way to go, but not too shabby after not drawing for 10+ years due to having kids who liked to scribble all over it.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.514055928620558.139859.100000484663338&type=1&l=dcc7cb0bf2

If anyone can tell me how I can improve my drawings and make them better I'd be open for practical suggestions.

L M Ashton
08-24-2012, 02:13 PM
I started sketching and drawing and going through video tutorials on youtube, and then found my way to the ConceptArt.org (http://www.conceptart.org/) forums. I've joined as LMAshton. The forums are quite extensive and include a section for sketchbooks, where you upload what you've drawn and people can comment and offer criticism.

Icerose, you might want to check that out. There's also a section specifically for critiques if you want something more indepth than people tend to give in the sketchbook section.

From what I've seen of what you've done, you're quite good. I'm in a beginner study group there that's currently going through bone and muscle structure so we can get better at drawing the human body. There are other study groups there as well.

icerose
08-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out. I just wish I had a better scanner because my scanner is about 5 inches too short and three inches too narrow for most of my sketches.

L M Ashton
08-26-2012, 06:33 AM
You could scan it section by section and then stitch it together. Most photoshop-like programs can do that, I believe.

Tepelus
08-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Have you thought to take a picture of it, and then upload it onto your computer from your camera (or memory card)? My scanner makes my pencil drawings look like crap, so I started to take pictures instead. However, you need to have good lighting or else the drawing will come out looking too dark, which I've done. But I'm not for showing off my work in a professional manner, just to show it off on the internet to friends and on DA.

icerose
08-26-2012, 05:33 PM
You could scan it section by section and then stitch it together. Most photoshop-like programs can do that, I believe.

I'll have to try that, first I have to install photoshop again.

Have you thought to take a picture of it, and then upload it onto your computer from your camera (or memory card)? My scanner makes my pencil drawings look like crap, so I started to take pictures instead. However, you need to have good lighting or else the drawing will come out looking too dark, which I've done. But I'm not for showing off my work in a professional manner, just to show it off on the internet to friends and on DA.

I have considered it, but these new digital cameras confuse me. There's all those options and yet it's so difficult (for me) to find out how to even look back at the pictures I've taken. It's the only piece of modern technology that I've handled, that I can't quite figure out. I think partly because I don't use it much, my husband prefers to take the pictures, and every camera is different. Why can't they have a universal menu?

I need to just buckle down and learn how to use it properly, but that will have to wait until after the craziness of school has passed again. I was going to do it this summer but this summer was crazier than my time in school.

Thanks for the suggestions both of you.

runningfree
11-09-2012, 11:26 AM
I actually started out doing art first, then worked my way into writing.

At some point when I was younger - pre-teens I think - I had this deep desire to write and illustrate my own novel. It stayed floating around in my head despite the fact that I had not a lick of ability to draw or write to save my life.

I started teaching myself how to draw and that took a couple years (still learning!) I haven't started illustrating anything yet, it's WAY harder than I thought it would be but I like to do wildlife and flowers. I'm challenging myself to do more portraits so hopefully that will help when it comes to character sketches.
My art is here - http://www.aubreycampbell.weebly.com

I tried to do the same with writing and teach myself but it just didn't work out until a couple years ago when I grabbed it and wouldn't let it go until it cooperated. :P

Sometimes I think that I should just stick to one or the other but there are days when I simply do NOT have the patience to work with my pencils and I must tell a story.
And then there are days when I simply can NOT stand to sort out words and I desperately need my pencils.

The only challenging part is that there's never enough time to do both of them. :P

TimSenese
03-12-2013, 01:10 AM
I write, of course. But I also take pictures (I went to school for photography) and can sing/play guitar. Between those things, that's pretty much how all of my free time is spent. I like it.

I don't have any music released yet (I'm hammering out the details on a 5-7 song EP kind of deal) but you can find some of my pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timsenese/

Any comments are appreciated!

Mare
03-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Painting and drawing was my main escape until I finally
gave in to the long cherished dream of learning to write. In school I never bothered to learn grammar—to busy drawing! Now I'm learning where to stick a comma, among other things. :)

clee984
03-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Canadian author Douglas Coupland (one of my favourites) also works as a sculptor - he once said something like "I've tried to see the difference between a book and an art project, but I really can't."

And yeah, drawing and sketching was the only thing I was really good at at school. Don't do it anymore though, I'm not sure why. I always preferred writing.

Louis Spector
04-06-2013, 05:19 AM
I also paint, in fact I'm better at it then writing. I've painted my cover idea for my book but have put my painting on hold while I work on my memoir.