KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I should know this.

I wrote a full-length play called King of the Crease. I think a long time ago, I shared a version of it here at SYW. Now that I've edited it for about 2 years or so, and it is finished, I have to wonder if it was all for naught.

The main character is a washed-up NHL goalie. Well, he only played a couple of games...but he was much hyped as the next big thing...then he was injured and his career ended before it began.

Problem/Question: The Montreal Canadiens are mentioned as the team he played for and the NHL is mentioned several times. Is this something that you would have to get permission for? I feel like the answer is yes, but I'm not sure. To be honest, copyright infringement didn't even occur to me until it was done. :-/

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin, I remember reading that play and liking it!

I'm pretty sure it's not a copyright issue, so long as the player himself is fictional and his successes or failures don't mimic those of a real player. After all, the baseball movies Mr. Maryn watches use real teams, as did the novels on which many are based.

I'm no lawyer, but I think you're completely fine.

Maryn, glad she ran into you

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Ooh. Thank you! That makes sense when you put it that way. Nice seeing you, Maryn!

Kevin, who always likes running into you

zander

Registered
Reaction score
You're fine. Not to worry.

If worse comes to worse, you can always call them the Montreal Swashbucklers or something. Plenty of movies/plays fictionalize the names of their fictional sports teams. But I think that a sports team is in the public arena, and therefore cannot control their name.

(Now if you were to defame them in the play in some way, that might be cause for concern, but it doesn't sound like it.)

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
yeah I think you're in the clear. If you were using sound effects/clips from an actual game that might get you in a little hot water but just mentioning the name should be ok

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
You're fine. Not to worry.

If worse comes to worse, you can always call them the Montreal Swashbucklers or something. Plenty of movies/plays fictionalize the names of their fictional sports teams. But I think that a sports team is in the public arena, and therefore cannot control their name.

(Now if you were to defame them in the play in some way, that might be cause for concern, but it doesn't sound like it.)

(bolding mine)

While this gist of this post is correct, most professional sports teams have trademarked their names and absolutely CAN control the use thereof. That doesn't mean that writers can't mention trademarked team names, although it's smart not to use trademarks in a negative or derogatory way. But it's wrong to say that they can't control their name.

When talking about legal issues, including copyright and trademark, we need to be very careful about what we dish out as facts.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks to all. Yes...I definitely do not say any derogatory things about the team or the NHL. They are mentioned as the team the washed up goalie signed with. It's more about the dynamic of the family...but there is a plot within the play to steal memorabilia from the goalie.

Thanks for your insights. (-:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh, and PS...I went to a playwriting workshop last Saturday. Understanding more about the other roles in the theatre, I'm pretty sure I have to absorb at least one character out of the play. I love learning this craft! King of the Crease is about to undergo yet another edit. (-:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
(bolding mine)

While this gist of this post is correct, most professional sports teams have trademarked their names and absolutely CAN control the use thereof. That doesn't mean that writers can't mention trademarked team names, although it's smart not to use trademarks in a negative or derogatory way. But it's wrong to say that they can't control their name.

When talking about legal issues, including copyright and trademark, we need to be very careful about what we dish out as facts.

This.

It's easier to fictionalize, so might as well. There is a list on google somewhere of obsolete NHL and AHL teams - I'd imagine any of those would be fair game.

I began a screenplay that I quit once the strike began; it about an obsessed hockey fan and it's based on the Habs and how he's fed up with them losing :D Instead I called the team The Blazers. Not sure how to work around the NHL though... I just put "Barry Gutman" instead of the real commish.