PDA

View Full Version : 85th Academy Awards

maxmordon
01-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Well, the list is up! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/85th_Academy_Awards) Any favorites and predictions?

I seriously hope Beasts of the Southern Wild get something but struggling with titans like Lincoln and Life of Pi makes it seem quite an ordeal.

BongoFury
01-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Well, the list is up! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/85th_Academy_Awards) Any favorites and predictions?

I seriously hope Beasts of the Southern Wild get something but struggling with titans like Lincoln and Life of Pi makes it seem quite an ordeal.

The only movie I saw on that list is Searching For Sugar Man. I found it an excellent documentary. I am so out of the loop.

Yeasayer
01-12-2013, 08:06 AM
I have my fingers crossed Emmanuelle Riva (Amour) wins Best Actress. Realistically, I think it's between Jennifer & Jessica, but I've decided to get my hopes up.

childeroland
01-12-2013, 08:50 AM
DDL will win best actor, and Lincoln will take almost everything it's nominated for. Chastain or Lawrence -- probably Lawrence -- will win Best Actress. Frankenweenie or Wreck-It-Ralph for Best Animated film. Amour for Best Foreign. Skyfall for Best Song.

maxmordon
02-22-2013, 09:40 PM
I have seen Life of Pi, Lincoln, Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild and Django Unchained.

I think the awards will mostly be divided between Lincoln and Argo, with Argo as best picture. I truly wish Beasts of the Southern Wild wins anything, but I doubt it. Too strong competitors.

Ashwood
02-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Seriously looking forward to watching the Oscars! My mom and I always watch it together and eat bad food. Aw good times....

I agree about Best Actress. Going to be a tie between Jennifer and Jessica. I have not seen either Silver Linings Playbook or Zero Dark Thirty. But I've heard both ladies are amazing in them.

Yeasayer
02-23-2013, 12:36 AM
I've been obsessively following the race. DDL & Anne Hathaway are locks to win. Same with Adele for Best Song.

Much to my delight, Emmanuelle Riva has gained a lot of momentum after her BAFTA win for Best Actress. People are saying Jessica Chastain is pretty much out of the running because won no major awards this season other than a Golden Globe. It's really Jennifer's race to lose, and if she does lose, it'll most likely be to Riva (!!!), who has a lot of support among the actor's section of the academy.

Kitty Pryde
02-25-2013, 09:22 AM
So bummed out about Beasts. One of my top five favorite all time movies. It really says something when you can make a far more compelling movie using actors with no acting experience, starring a guy who makes donuts for a living and a six year old girl. Sad to see that America's heart still belongs to Racist Nonsense and also The Same Old Crap Where Square-Jawed White Men Earn The Love Of Extremely Thin White Women By Not Doing All That Much. Also I loathe Ang Lee.

Is that too bitter? I think I got too bitter there.

Ed Panther
02-25-2013, 10:12 AM
So bummed out about Beasts. One of my top five favorite all time movies. It really says something when you can make a far more compelling movie using actors with no acting experience, starring a guy who makes donuts for a living and a six year old girl. Sad to see that America's heart still belongs to Racist Nonsense and also The Same Old Crap Where Square-Jawed White Men Earn The Love Of Extremely Thin White Women By Not Doing All That Much. Also I loathe Ang Lee.

You accused America of "racist nonsense" and then said Square-Jawed White Men Earn The Love Of Extremely Thin White Women."

And I wish Django Unchained won best picture.

Kitty Pryde
02-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Racist Nonsense=Lincoln freeing the slaves without the lobbying or input of even a single black person. And movies that only have white people in them. Among other things.
Square-Jawed White Men And Their Triflingly Easy Pursuits of Extremely Thin White Women=the overwhelming majority of US movies.

cornflake
02-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Racist Nonsense=Lincoln freeing the slaves without the lobbying or input of even a single black person. And movies that only have white people in them. Among other things.
Square-Jawed White Men And Their Triflingly Easy Pursuits of Extremely Thin White Women=the overwhelming majority of US movies.

Did you see Lincoln?

I saw Beasts of the Southern Wild and disliked it thoroughly, though not for racial reasons, heh.

The latter characterization doesn't fit any nominee save maybe Silver Linings.

Annoyed Hathaway won (I know it was the lock of locks; I just kept hoping someplace people had gotten tired of her schtick and voted for Field, or anyone else at all); I don't think she could be more irritating if she tried.

Ashwood
02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Did you see Lincoln?

I saw Beasts of the Southern Wild and disliked it thoroughly, though not for racial reasons, heh.

The latter characterization doesn't fit any nominee save maybe Silver Linings.

Annoyed Hathaway won (I know it was the lock of locks; I just kept hoping someplace people had gotten tired of her schtick and voted for Field, or anyone else at all); I don't think she could be more irritating if she tried.
I can't help but agree with you about Anne. I'm just not overly impressed with her, I don't know what I'm missing but I felt she wasn't as deserving as some. Not that she's awful. She's talented for sure, but irritating, yes.

Ed Panther
02-25-2013, 10:57 AM

Okay, Jennifer Lawrence is not "extremely thin." and you sound either racist or full of white guilt.

jvanhee
02-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Beasts of the Southern Wild was my fanciful hope of a Best Picture winner. But it would never, ever happen. I really like it though. Ah, well.

Al Stevens
02-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Tarantino said with much enthusiasm, "This is the year of writers."

Katrina S. Forest
02-25-2013, 12:01 PM
All right, maybe it's just because I've got two young kids that my attention goes right to the "Best Animated Feature" category, but...

Brave? Really?

I'm getting a little tired of the Pixar-can-do-no-wrong-except-for-Cars-2 mentality. Brave left me so disappointed. I get it, it's the most serious animated film up there and certainly the best graphically. But dang it, when the characters in Wreck it Ralph and The Pirates got in trouble, I actually cared. (I know, Disney's not exactly complaining regardless of whether Ralph or Brave won.)

It was cool to see Paperman win Best Animated Short, but then, I didn't see its competitors, so for all I know, they were just as good.

Ashwood
02-25-2013, 12:26 PM
All right, maybe it's just because I've got two young kids that my attention goes right to the "Best Animated Feature" category, but...

Brave? Really?

I'm getting a little tired of the Pixar-can-do-no-wrong-except-for-Cars-2 mentality. Brave left me so disappointed. I get it, it's the most serious animated film up there and certainly the best graphically. But dang it, when the characters in Wreck it Ralph and The Pirates got in trouble, I actually cared. (I know, Disney's not exactly complaining regardless of whether Ralph or Brave won.)

It was cool to see Paperman win Best Animated Short, but then, I didn't see its competitors, so for all I know, they were just as good.
Totally agree. I wanted to love Brave so much more than I did, it was sadly disappointing. I was really shocked with its Oscar win. No way it was better than all the other nominees. Even Wreck-it-Ralph was better.

Enzo
02-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Can't say I saw many of the Oscar nominees - so far - but I liked Zero Dark Thirty a lot. I thought at least Jessica Chastain deserved an Oscar.
I noticed they distributed the prizes as it were, giving something to everybody.

angeliz2k
02-25-2013, 06:04 PM

Yes, too bitter.

I saw Beasts and didn't quite get it. I felt like I was missing something, though I don't know what that something was. It didn't deserve to win just because the actors were black or young, and nor is there any reason that a movie with white men should be given any less credit than another movie. There's nothing inherently racist about a movie with white men winning an award.

Okay, Lincoln had black actors in it. We had input from Elizabeth Keckley most prominently. Perhaps they could have added more black voices, but 1) the black voices of the time were not often heard or listened to due to actual racism and 2) the movie was overloaded as it was (which is probably why it lost out to Argo, which was gripping throughout).

In any case . . .

I really enjoyed Seth McFarlane. I'm not sure everyone did. There were some really good skits, and he seemed to roll with the punches so to speak.

Celia Cyanide
02-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Okay, Jennifer Lawrence is not "extremely thin." and you sound either racist or full of white guilt.

Wow, you really showed her. You thought of one woman in all of Hollywood who is thin, but not extremely thin, and then you implied Kitty was racist. I am in awe of your debate skills.

Myrealana
02-25-2013, 06:26 PM
8" of snow falling sideways meant that our Oscar party was a huge bust.

Now I don't know what I'm going to do with all these mangoes if I can't make Mango Unchained from them.

The awards were pretty bland. Seth McFarlane was really tame. I was concerned that he would be out and out offensive, but he was just boring. No one's dress was comically awful. No one made a controversial political statement. No huge surprises.

I haven't seen Argo. I wanted Les Mis to win. But Ben Affleck just always seems like such a nice guy that I like it when he wins anything, so I wasn't upset.

robeiae
02-25-2013, 06:37 PM
You know, I don't get the Anne Hathaway "dislike" at all. Wasn't aware of how widespread the sentiment was until yesterday.

As to Brave, there's an idea out there (http://www.examiner.com/article/a-disney-conspiracy-is-wreck-it-ralph-really-a-pixar-movie-disguise) that Brave was actually the Disney pic and Wreck It Ralph was the Pixar one. Makes sense if you consider the themes of both, as compared to previous releases Pixar and Disney.

Disney took the toy story idea--Wreck It Ralph--for itself and released the princess idea--Brave--under the Pixar label, thinking the Disney brand would get more accolades, a return to Oscar-world as it were.

Backfire.

But it does make one wonder, if Brave had been Disney and Ralph had been Pixar, would Brave still have won?

Toothpaste
02-25-2013, 06:59 PM

Since you hate Ang Lee, this isn't going to make you happy, but the most wins for the night was a film directed by a Tawainese man and starring Indian actors. And a Tiger.

(not saying that it wasn't a white pretty love fest in general, but just because BEASTS didnt win doesn't mean another film that highlighted non-white actors didnt)

J.S.F.
02-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Shows how out of touch I am to not know who won what. Found out about Anne Hathaway through this forum. I don't get the dislike about her, either, but whatever. You can't please everyone, and I found her performance Les Miserables touching and, for me, Oscar worthy.

I would have selected Moonrise Kingdom over Django, though, for Best Original Screenplay, but that's just me. Jennifer Lawrence? She was fine, and deserved her award, IMO, as did Waltz. JMO...

Cyia
02-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Has anyone mentioned the In Memorandum oversights?

Andy Griffith, Richard Dawson, Larry Hagman, Phyillis Diller, Gore Vidal, Alex Karras, Sylvia Kristel...

Alessandra Kelley
02-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Andy Griffith, Richard Dawson, Larry Hagman, Phyillis Diller, Gore Vidal, Alex Karras, Sylvia Kristel...

Jerry Nelson.

They made no breath of the man behind Sesame Street's Count Von Count, Fraggle Rock's Gobo Fraggle, and Kermit the Frog's nephew Robin.

On behalf of my generation when we were kids, phoo.

Ed Panther
02-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Wow, you really showed her. You thought of one woman in all of Hollywood who is thin, but not extremely thin, and then you implied Kitty was racist. I am in awe of your debate skills.

She was clearly referring to Silver Linings Playbook, so talking about Jennifer Lawrence is the only thing that's relevant. By the way, I could easily name dozens more girls in Hollywood who aren't "extremely thin." Being 5'3-5'8 and weighing 100-115 pounds isn't "extremely thin" and that's the size of most of them.

And I can just about guarantee she has different standards for white and black people.

Myrealana
02-25-2013, 07:29 PM
"Brave" was not my favorite Pixar movie of all time, but it was my favorite animated film among the nominations. The technical perfection alone made it worth watching.

"Wreck-it-Ralph" just wasn't as entertaining. It didn't hold my attention. I was checking my watch about 2/3 through. I was yawning by the end, and so was my 10-year-old son. The message was delivered with a sledge hammer and pounded in again and again.

I was disappointed that "Rise of the Guardians" didn't get a nomination. It thought it was the best animated film of the year, and the only one that appealed to the kid, the adults and the teenager in our family.

Celia Cyanide
02-25-2013, 07:31 PM
She was clearly referring to Silver Linings Playbook, so talking about Jennifer Lawrence is the only thing that's relevant.

Why is it the only thing that's relevant? I don't get it. I wasn't clear that's the film she was referring to. I thought she was talking about most Hollywood films in general.

By the way, I could easily name dozens more girls in Hollywood who aren't "extremely thin." Being 5'3-5'8 and weighing 115 pounds isn't "extremely thin" and that's the size of most of them.

I'm 5'4, and weight 130 pounds, and I'm thin. You may not think 5'8 and 115 is "extremely thin" but a lot of people would.

And I can just about guarantee she has different standards for white and black people.

How?

Sheryl Nantus
02-25-2013, 07:43 PM

I thought the list seemed kinda short...

Guess they didn't have room 'cause Baba had to sing.

:)

CrastersBabies
02-25-2013, 07:53 PM
I see nothing wrong with commenting about race in Hollywood. There is a problem. There's also a problem with how women are treated. Year after year, most of the nominees are men for awards the non-acting categories. Only recently did we see a woman win for best director (Bigelow - The Hurt Locker).

It's skewed.

Sure, it's gotten better, but damn, it's a slow process. Very slow. I see nothing wrong with pointing it out. Awareness is good.

On that point, I just didn't get into Beasts of the Southern Wild. It wasn't a winner in my book, but I understand the nomination.

Also, I'm not getting the "Brave" hate. I loved the film. I'm glad it won. I would have been okay with Wreck-it Ralph winning, too, and I agree with Myrealana. Why wasn't Rise of the Guardians nominated? Frankenweenie? Really? Do they always have to throw Burton some kind of nomination "bone" every time he comes out with a flick?

McFarlane was okay. I honestly would be happy if they got rid of all the campy schlock and just went to the award presentations. The opening number was way too long.

As for Anne Hathaway, I don't doubt her acting, but she's kind of become the Taylor Swift of films in my book. Always there. Overexposed. I liked her far better when she was doing films like Love and Other Drugs, and Becoming Jane.

MacAllister
02-25-2013, 07:54 PM
And I can guarantee that you get to take this kind of trolling crap somewhere else.

Because you picked this particular fight, but I'm happy to finish it.

Toothpaste
02-25-2013, 08:19 PM
I'm going to say it: I thought WRECK-IT-RALPH wasn't nearly as clever as it thought it was. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did I think it was an amazing film? No.

Out of all the animated films, to me BRAVE deserved it. No it wasn't a laugh a second like some of the others, nor was it as good as previous PIXAR outings. But I thought the animation was superb, the acting lovely, and the story, though more slight than I anticipated, of quality. It also didn't rely on inside jokes, and to me, reference films - like WRECK-IT-RALPH - are limited in their appeal.

I actually really enjoyed Macfarlane's opening, and I know that makes me a lot of bad things according to Twitter. I thought he was genuinely funny, I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud at an opening. And, here's a wrench in the works for ya, I thought he was classy. WHAT???? I know. I know. But I did. When he wasn't being Seth of course (a watered down version of Seth).

I saw a lot of complaints online about all the musical numbers, and I guess if you hate musicals I can understand it, but I felt this year was the first time in a long time I was watching a show that was meant to entertain not just hand out awards. I really loved all the singing and dancing. And I thought the time just flew by.

As for Anne Hathaway - I really like her as an actress, but she's been Swifting it all season and it has really disappointed me. I even saw an interview backstage where she said she hadn't thought she'd win. Um . . . really? I thought Day Lewis's speech was wonderful. I thought Lawrence deserved it over Chastain (though I love them both, and think they are both fine actors, I think Lawrence did more "acting" in her role than Chastain this time round). I didn't think Affleck was articulate, but I loved him talking about how you just have to get up when you've been down. Everyone knows what his career has been through, and it is wonderful to see him "just keep swimming" as Finding Nemo would say. It was inspiring for anyone really.

And I don't hate Ang Lee, so I was very happy to see that he won because I thought THE LIFE OF PI was genius. I honestly don't know how one could plan and put that film together.

And as a Canadian, I will say, we are quite pathetic in that if we are even mentioned in passing we get excited. And there was much mentioning in passing (enough to make up for the historical inaccuracies in ARGO and how our part in everything is treated as almost nothing though?. . . not quite . . . ).

BenPanced
02-25-2013, 08:36 PM

Like everything else about the Oscars, it's who can lobby loudest and longest. They can argue that Andy Griffith was more of a TV star, Richard Dawson was merely a game show host, Larry Hagman was a TV sitcom and soap opera actor, Phyllis Diller was a stand-up comedienne, Alex Karras was another sitcom star, and the less said about Sylvia Kristel and Gore Vidal the better, or how they don't have enough room or time to list everybody (yeah, they can. How about a simple text scroll? Everybody gets equal time. Oh. Wait. That's right. This is show biz. Everybody's more important than everybody else.) In the end, it's up to The Academy on who gets listed. What, me cynical?

nighttimer
02-25-2013, 10:24 PM

Then you're really gonna be royally pissed off about THIS (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/02/25/the-onion-tweets-that-quvenzhan-wallis-is-a-cunt.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=cheatsheet_morning&cid=newsletter%3Bemail%3Bcheatsheet_morning&utm_term=Cheat%20Sheet):

Best Actress Oscar nominee Quvenzhané Wallis has been called a lot of things, most of them complimentary. Among them: “a small force of nature,” “special,” and “extraordinary.” Now, thanks to The Onion’s Twitter feed, she can add another word she probably shouldn’t hear for another 15 years.

The normally funny satirical website posted a now-deleted (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/onion-calls-quvenzhane-wallis-c-424113) Tweet that called Wallis a cunt. “Everyone else seems afraid to say it, but that Quvenzhané Wallis is kind of a cunt, right? #Oscars2013 (https://twitter.com/search/%23Oscars2013)”

Um, what? Wallis is so young and innocent she carried a puppy purse (http://www.justjared.com/2013/02/24/quvenzhane-wallis-oscars-2013-red-carpet) to the Oscars.

Perhaps the most shocking thing is that this wasn’t the first uncouth and inappropriate comment about the 9-year old, on what should have been a special night for the young actress who also just announced she’s set to star in a production of Annie (http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothypomerantz/2013/02/24/oscar-nominee-quvenzhane-wallis-has-her-next-job-lined-up). (Attempts to reach Wallis’s reps were unsuccessful.)

During the Oscar telecast, host Seth McFarlane, in one of his many sexist (http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/02/all-seth-macfarlanes-sexist-jokes-transcribed.html) and misogynist jokes of the evening, quipped:

“So let me just address those of you up for an award, so you got nominated for an Oscar, something a 9-year-old could do! She's adorable, Quvenzhané. She said to me backstage. "I really hope I don't lose to that old lady, Jennifer Lawrence. To give you an idea how young she is it'll be 16 years before she's too old for Clooney.”Seth McFarlane aside (what an asshole), The Onion today issued an apology (http://www.theonion.com/articles/the-onion-apologizes,31434/?ref=auto) to Quenvenzhane and said they were taking steps to avoid these sort of tasteless, ignorant and brain-dead remarks in the future.

Satire has its limits. :rant:

Kitty Pryde
02-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Braindead attempt at humor that someone probably got sacked for. But I do think she makes people very uncomfortable by giving such a powerful and moving performance without any training or prior experience. And remember, she's 9 now, but she auditioned at age five, and played the role at age SIX. I have no doubt she's got more than enough grace to know that haters gonna hate, even if you're a 3rd grader and said haters are grown ass people.

Alessandra Kelley
02-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Then you're really gonna be royally pissed off about THIS (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/02/25/the-onion-tweets-that-quvenzhan-wallis-is-a-cunt.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=cheatsheet_morning&cid=newsletter%3Bemail%3Bcheatsheet_morning&utm_term=Cheat%20Sheet):

Seth McFarlane aside (what an asshole), The Onion today issued an apology (http://www.theonion.com/articles/the-onion-apologizes,31434/?ref=auto) to Quenvenzhane and said they were taking steps to avoid these sort of tasteless, ignorant and brain-dead remarks in the future.

(Head explodes.)

cornflake
02-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Braindead attempt at humor that someone probably got sacked for. But I do think she makes people very uncomfortable by giving such a powerful and moving performance without any training or prior experience. And remember, she's 9 now, but she auditioned at age five, and played the role at age SIX. I have no doubt she's got more than enough grace to know that haters gonna hate, even if you're a 3rd grader and said haters are grown ass people.

Actually I think she makes people roll their eyes being self-aggrandizing in interviews and doing stuff like pumping her arms last night.

I realize she's nine, and she's quite cute, but no one is telling her how to behave and it's kind of grating.

She's hardly the first kid actor to make waves. She's technically the youngest with a nom but I don't think it means people are some sort of shocked by her in some way - there exist plenty of child stars who grew up and flourished in the business. Paquin is still working. Foster is still working. Etc.

Ashwood
02-25-2013, 10:57 PM

Seth McFarlane aside (what an asshole), The Onion today issued an apology (http://www.theonion.com/articles/the-onion-apologizes,31434/?ref=auto) to Quenvenzhane and said they were taking steps to avoid these sort of tasteless, ignorant and brain-dead remarks in the future.

UGH. That's disgusting!

Lavern08
02-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Actually I think she makes people roll their eyes being self-aggrandizing in interviews and doing stuff like pumping her arms last night...

Wow!

She's only 9 years old, for heavens sake. :(

Toothpaste
02-25-2013, 11:41 PM
Yeah that joke Macfarlane made about her wasn't sexist. It was mocking how old men like to date very young women in Hollywood. Okay, so maybe it was sexist towards men if you want to insist. But not about women.

Stiger05
02-25-2013, 11:55 PM
I'm going to say it: I thought WRECK-IT-RALPH wasn't nearly as clever as it thought it was. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did I think it was an amazing film? No.

Out of all the animated films, to me BRAVE deserved it. No it wasn't a laugh a second like some of the others, nor was it as good as previous PIXAR outings. But I thought the animation was superb, the acting lovely, and the story, though more slight than I anticipated, of quality. It also didn't rely on inside jokes, and to me, reference films - like WRECK-IT-RALPH - are limited in their appeal.

I actually really enjoyed Macfarlane's opening, and I know that makes me a lot of bad things according to Twitter. I thought he was genuinely funny, I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud at an opening. And, here's a wrench in the works for ya, I thought he was classy. WHAT???? I know. I know. But I did. When he wasn't being Seth of course (a watered down version of Seth).

I saw a lot of complaints online about all the musical numbers, and I guess if you hate musicals I can understand it, but I felt this year was the first time in a long time I was watching a show that was meant to entertain not just hand out awards. I really loved all the singing and dancing. And I thought the time just flew by.

As for Anne Hathaway - I really like her as an actress, but she's been Swifting it all season and it has really disappointed me. I even saw an interview backstage where she said she hadn't thought she'd win. Um . . . really? I thought Day Lewis's speech was wonderful. I thought Lawrence deserved it over Chastain (though I love them both, and think they are both fine actors, I think Lawrence did more "acting" in her role than Chastain this time round). I didn't think Affleck was articulate, but I loved him talking about how you just have to get up when you've been down. Everyone knows what his career has been through, and it is wonderful to see him "just keep swimming" as Finding Nemo would say. It was inspiring for anyone really.

And I don't hate Ang Lee, so I was very happy to see that he won because I thought THE LIFE OF PI was genius. I honestly don't know how one could plan and put that film together.

And as a Canadian, I will say, we are quite pathetic in that if we are even mentioned in passing we get excited. And there was much mentioning in passing (enough to make up for the historical inaccuracies in ARGO and how our part in everything is treated as almost nothing though?. . . not quite . . . ).

I agree with Toothpaste. I thought Seth McFarlane did a great job. He was funny, entertaining, and is honestly the only reason I watched all the way through. This is the first time I've ever watched the full Oscars. It's usually so boring and dull, but this year it was enjoyable! The song and dance numbers were great. I can see why some people weren't fans--if you don't like Seth's humor, then you probably wouldn't have enjoyed it, even the watered down version. I laughed out loud and had a ball, though. And, the last I saw, the early numbers had this as bringing in more viewers than last year (http://tv.yahoo.com/news/oscars-2013-ratings-vs-billy-crystal-encore-164838271.html), beating Billy Crystal.

I was surprised and excited that Argo won, and I thought Ben Affleck's speech was awesome. It was heartfelt and raw and gracious, so much more enjoyable than all the overly-rehearsed speeches of the night. He was visibly giddy and seemed genuinely surprised at the win.

I don't understand the hate toward either Ben or Seth. I looked at Twitter after the show last night and holy crap was it negative. People blasted Ben's speech as tasteless and Seth's hosting as lacking class (so he told a couple offensive jokes, it's Seth McFarlane, what did people expect?) I don't get it all the hate.

The Anne Hathaway (and Taylor Swift for that matter) hate baffles me too. So they're a bit overexposed right now, that's not really their fault, is it? I thought Anne did a fabulous job as Fantine--she brought something new and real to the character. She's a good actress and seems like a sweet person. Are people complaining because she's swept the awards? Awards that other people, not her, are in control of? That hardly seems justified to me.

Why can't people stop hating and spread love instead? Personally, I was rooting for Bradley Cooper or Hugh Jackman to win over Daniel Day-Lewis, but Day-Lewis won. Okay. The only people who should be upset by that are the nominees who didn't win. Again, I just don't get it.

I was pretty excited for Jennifer Lawrence's win, though. She did a fantastic job in the SLP.

cornflake
02-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Wow!

She's only 9 years old, for heavens sake. :(

You've never met an obnoxious kid?

I thought Macfarlane sucked. I don't mind him in general and find him funny often enough. The whole thing was like 'oy this is bad,' and bad bad, not 'you've got to see this' bad like Franco was. It was also just boring as hell, and dragged and dragged. I thought the Flight sock puppets was funny, and the Streep 'joke,' and that was about it. Everything else was either a lead balloon or wrongheaded.

The Plummer intro I can't believe got greenlit; I'd love to know how many people that went through. The boob thing was just inane and the Gigli was like 'oy, really? You're punching up, dude, it's not attractive.'

I thought DDL's speech opening was funnier than anything SM did.

Hathaway is beyond irritating. It's not that she's at awards shows or that she's won awards; it's that, as someone else said, she's been Taylor Swift-ing all over the place. It's ridiculous and completely irksome.

I heard someone once describe her as, bascially, THAT theatre kid - always over-the-top, everything drama, endlessly attention-whoring, faux every emotion, endlessly tiring, annoying, just omg SHUT UP. That's her, imo.

Cyia
02-26-2013, 01:21 AM
She wasn't being annoying with the arm pump, she was reacting to the scene they showed of her for the movie clip - the way any child would do. Put yourself into the mindset of a kid out in the middle of all that glitz, with all of the fancy clothes and big name goodie bags back stage. She was on an adrenaline rush that likely didn't end for hours.

Honestly, the quip that bothered me was one I'm not sure many people even caught, and it came from Christopher Plummer. He felt it necessary to point out that all of the actresses in the category for supporting actress had been acting since they were teens, weren't newcomers, were seasoned, etc... It was a backhanded jab at the one young lady who fit none of those criteria, even though she wasn't in the category he was presenting.

Not only is it ridiculous to throw that kind of vitriol at a child simply because she's been recognized as worthy of consideration (I've not seen the film, so I've no opinion on the award itself.), but it's one head of the elitist/sexist hydra that's yet to be cut off. Belittle a little girl for being talented, when she's hardly the first nominee to end up on an Oscar ballot for her first role? Why? What honest qualification is there for it? Even if she had won, she's not the youngest ever nominated, and she wouldn't have been the first Freshman actor to walk off with a statue.

Then again, maybe people just like Sir Ben Kingsley better.

CrastersBabies
02-26-2013, 02:25 AM
She wasn't being annoying with the arm pump, she was reacting to the scene they showed of her for the movie clip - the way any child would do. Put yourself into the mindset of a kid out in the middle of all that glitz, with all of the fancy clothes and big name goodie bags back stage. She was on an adrenaline rush that likely didn't end for hours.

Honestly, the quip that bothered me was one I'm not sure many people even caught, and it came from Christopher Plummer. He felt it necessary to point out that all of the actresses in the category for supporting actress had been acting since they were teens, weren't newcomers, were seasoned, etc... It was a backhanded jab at the one young lady who fit none of those criteria, even though she wasn't in the category he was presenting.

Not only is it ridiculous to throw that kind of vitriol at a child simply because she's been recognized as worthy of consideration (I've not seen the film, so I've no opinion on the award itself.), but it's one head of the elitist/sexist hydra that's yet to be cut off. Belittle a little girl for being talented, when she's hardly the first nominee to end up on an Oscar ballot for her first role? Why? What honest qualification is there for it? Even if she had won, she's not the youngest ever nominated, and she wouldn't have been the first Freshman actor to walk off with a statue.

So, you think the Academy (writers, whatever) purposely had Christopher Plummer spew "vitriol" at a child because he mentioned that women in a completely different category were all seasoned? Clarification would be nice. Because honestly? I'm not sure how to even respond if that's what you're implying.

Cyia
02-26-2013, 03:39 AM
So, you think the Academy (writers, whatever) purposely had Christopher Plummer spew "vitriol" at a child because he mentioned that women in a completely different category were all seasoned? Clarification would be nice. Because honestly? I'm not sure how to even respond if that's what you're implying.

The Academy writers don't control 100% of what the presenters say, and the negative opinions of QW were being publicized long before the awards ceremony. The "vitriol" comment was more aimed at all of the negativity as a whole. (Yeah, I know, it doesn't read that way - my fault.) But I do think he chose to make a dig at a little girl because somehow the inclusion of a newbie into the mix was seen as tarnishing the nomination.

The same thing happens in almost any profession when a youngster "dares" to perform at a level equal or superior to his or her peers. Where an adult is given a pass, even if they have no previous experience, kids are resented. Girls, especially.

BradyH1861
02-26-2013, 04:32 AM
I have no comment on all the other things discussed above......

But I am glad that Daniel Day Lewis won an Oscar for his portrayal of Lincoln. It was a masterful performance in my opinion. I'm a Civil War enthusiast, so I am predisposed to dislike Hollywood productions about "the war", but I think they did very well with this one.

The film did drag at times though, and I can't argue that it should have gotten Best Picture.

rhymegirl
02-26-2013, 04:53 AM
Yeah that joke Macfarlane made about her wasn't sexist. It was mocking how old men like to date very young women in Hollywood. Okay, so maybe it was sexist towards men if you want to insist. But not about women.

Agree. That was the point of the joke.

Celia Cyanide
02-26-2013, 06:20 AM

I don't think it's always appropriate to make those sort of jokes about specific kids. I remember David Spade was once hosting the Kids Choice Awards and Hillary Duff was there. She was 15 at the time. He was joking that R Kelly had said to him, "If only she were two years younger!" Yes, he was making fun of R Kelly, not Ms Duff, but I still thought it was gross.

robeiae
02-26-2013, 06:22 AM
LOL!

sorry.

Ken
02-26-2013, 06:24 AM
... 2012 was an overall good year for movie fans. Lots of awesome flicks and inspired performances. The Academies are always cool to watch, whether ones picks win or not. Even though you're just watching on tv you sorta get the sense of being there and applauding along to give your appreciation to the actors and actresses. They deserve the thanks and then some! What a gifted and talented bunch. And that includes the directors and writers. KUDOS!

TerzaRima
02-26-2013, 06:55 AM
I actually really enjoyed Macfarlane's opening, and I know that makes me a lot of bad things according to Twitter.

I did too. I spewed wine out my nose when he said the thing about John Wilkes Booth being the only actor who was really able to get inside Lincoln's head.

The highlight of the evening for me was Shirley Bassey. Gold-FINGAH! She could have stood up there and bellowed away for the whole three hours and I'd have been happy to watch just that.

Cyia
02-26-2013, 07:00 AM
The highlight of the evening for me was Shirley Bassey. Gold-FINGAH! She could have stood up there and bellowed away for the whole three hours and I'd have been happy to watch just that.

No kidding.

In what universe does a 76 year old woman still have pipes like that???

(I really wish they'd done a segment with her and Adelle. Their voices would sound awesome together.)

CrastersBabies
02-26-2013, 07:37 AM
The Academy writers don't control 100% of what the presenters say, and the negative opinions of QW were being publicized long before the awards ceremony. The "vitriol" comment was more aimed at all of the negativity as a whole. (Yeah, I know, it doesn't read that way - my fault.) But I do think he chose to make a dig at a little girl because somehow the inclusion of a newbie into the mix was seen as tarnishing the nomination.

The same thing happens in almost any profession when a youngster "dares" to perform at a level equal or superior to his or her peers. Where an adult is given a pass, even if they have no previous experience, kids are resented. Girls, especially.

I just didn't get that from Plummer. I actually thought that he started in with the "working since teens" then might have realized that could sound condescending and added the "seasoned" into it. Now, if he was being an A-hole because of a little girl, then yeah, lame.

I've seen some amazing child actors, Anna Paquin being one of them, Dakota Fanning being another. I've also seen some "veterans" who are severely lacking in skill. I still struggle with Brad Pitt at times in terms of craft.

Toothpaste
02-26-2013, 07:39 AM
I don't think it's always appropriate to make those sort of jokes about specific kids. I remember David Spade was once hosting the Kids Choice Awards and Hillary Duff was there. She was 15 at the time. He was joking that R Kelly had said to him, "If only she were two years younger!" Yes, he was making fun of R Kelly, not Ms Duff, but I still thought it was gross.

It's a fine line and I appreciate not everyone likes the joke. To explain my reasoning I think because, unlike Duff, we have an actress so very very young as to not have even hit puberty yet the absurd hyperbole of the joke makes it less gross than making one about a teen on the cusp of being "legal".

But like I said, a fine line and I can understand how people would disagree with me. I still don't find the joke sexist.

And I agree about Bassey. She showed that you can be fabulous at any age and when you've got the goods you've got the goods. And quite frankly showed Ms Hudson you don't have to screech in order to belt.

Cyia
02-26-2013, 07:50 AM
I just didn't get that from Plummer. I actually thought that he started in with the "working since teens" then might have realized that could sound condescending and added the "seasoned" into it. Now, if he was being an A-hole because of a little girl, then yeah, lame.

I've seen some amazing child actors, Anna Paquin being one of them, Dakota Fanning being another. I've also seen some "veterans" who are severely lacking in skill. I still struggle with Brad Pitt at times in terms of craft.

And hearing-bias / assumption-bias may be all that it was. I just found it an odd bit of phrasing, especially with the seeming emphasis.

Ashwood
02-26-2013, 08:07 AM

While I'm in total agreement about amazing child actors, Brad Pitt actually surprises me with his acting depth (not always) despite the fact that hes a pretty boy. Have you ever seen Snatch? I was floored!

Ashwood
02-26-2013, 08:09 AM
No kidding.

In what universe does a 76 year old woman still have pipes like that???

(I really wish they'd done a segment with her and Adelle. Their voices would sound awesome together.)

I actually was hoping they would interweave Shirley with Adele, Goldfinger into Skyfall... But I'm glad Shirley had center stage, she was amazing!!

CrastersBabies
02-26-2013, 08:11 AM
While I'm in total agreement about amazing child actors, Brad Pitt actually surprises me with his acting depth (not always) despite the fact that hes a pretty boy. Have you ever seen Snatch? I was floored!

Sometimes he floors me too (Se7en was a good one). But other times, he's just Brad Pitt on the screen. Eating a doughnut. Or whatever.

Celia Cyanide
02-26-2013, 08:13 AM
I've seen some amazing child actors, Anna Paquin being one of them, Dakota Fanning being another. I've also seen some "veterans" who are severely lacking in skill.

Child actors are interesting, because sometimes, kids can give an amazing performance when they are somewhat preccocious and came across as naturally interesting on screen. It doesn't necessarily mean they will develop skill as adults. I think Anna Paquin and Dakota Fanning were great kid actors. Anna Paquin still gets the Best Acceptance Speech award from me. However, I don't think either of them have been nearly as exceptional as adult actors. They have been decent, but as children, they really stood out from their peers, and they don't so much now.

For every Jodie Foster, there is a Mischa Barton.

nighttimer
02-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Actually I think she makes people roll their eyes being self-aggrandizing in interviews and doing stuff like pumping her arms last night.

I realize she's nine, and she's quite cute, but no one is telling her how to behave and it's kind of grating.

She's hardly the first kid actor to make waves. She's technically the youngest with a nom but I don't think it means people are some sort of shocked by her in some way - there exist plenty of child stars who grew up and flourished in the business. Paquin is still working. Foster is still working. Etc.

You've never met an obnoxious kid?

Plenty, but Quvenzhane Wallis wasn't obnoxious. She was being a 9-year-old having big fun at the Oscars. It's not like she threw a tantrum, yawned with boredom, chewed gun or kept kicking the back of Jack Nicholson's seat.

You want to know what's really obnoxious? The Associated Press reporter who interviewed Quvenzhane on the red carpet about her being cast in Will Smith's remake of Annie.

The reporter said, "I'm just going to call you Annie."

Quvenzhane didn't hesitate. She spoke right up and corrected the reporter. "My name is not Annie. It's Quvenzhane."

Is that being obnoxious or is that simply a little girl setting straight a grown-ass adult and a supposed professional who hasn't done their homework and learned how to pronounce the child's name?
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7rR-qRVLD0&feature=player_embedded)
If Quvenzhane can, an adult has no excuse. :e2shrug:

cornflake
02-26-2013, 10:50 AM

She did the arm pump thing twice - the time when her name was read as a nominee annoyed me more, but I found both fairly obnoxious.

I don't find her grating just because of that. I've seen a number of interviews over the past month or whatever since the noms were announced; the first one made me think 'ugh,' and nothing since has done anything save reinforce it.

I don't remember what Plummer said specifically, I was still kind of 'I cannot believe they greenlit the Nazi' about his intro. I'd also wager he wasn't thrilled with that in the least.

Quvenzhane didn't hesitate. She spoke right up and corrected the reporter. "My name is not Annie. It's Quvenzhane."

Is that being obnoxious or is that simply a little girl setting straight a grown-ass adult and a supposed professional who hasn't done their homework and learned how to pronounce the child's name? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7rR-qRVLD0&feature=player_embedded)

It reads as obnoxious to me - in the 'someone teach that kid how to behave' way. I'd think the 'I'm going to call you Annie' was meant in an 'it's an iconic role you're going to inhabit' way.

However, and this has nothing to do with my feelings about her attitude, as she didn't name herself and she's too young to change it, I wouldn't rail against anyone has a hard time with that 'I banged my head on the keyboard and put the results on a birth certificate' version of a name.

Child actors are interesting, because sometimes, kids can give an amazing performance when they are somewhat preccocious and came across as naturally interesting on screen. It doesn't necessarily mean they will develop skill as adults.

Foster was discussing child actors in some thing recently and sort of made that distinction. She was talking about how as quite young performers, it's more something that's an innate talent/ability to be convincing and engaging and etc. She wasn't at all bashing non-kid actors, just saying it's a different thing than adult acting and that it's not the same kind of learned craft in kids.

Toothpaste
02-26-2013, 06:25 PM
I don't remember what Plummer said specifically, I was still kind of 'I cannot believe they greenlit the Nazi' about his intro. I'd also wager he wasn't thrilled with that in the least.

In case you didn't know, that moment was taken directly from THE SOUND OF MUSIC. At the end of the film, the family Von Trapp are performing for the Nazis, after which the father (played by Christopher Plummer) is supposed to join them and go to war. The family leaves the stage, and the prizes for the performances happen with each performer returning to the stage when their name is called. Third prize. Second. And then first. Which goes to the family Von Trapp. The announcer loudly says: "The family Von Trapp!" And the camera cuts to the alcove where all the winners are supposed to come through. The follow spot is on it. Everyone is waiting. But the family doesn't appear. Cut back to the announcer looking a bit concerned. "The family Von Trapp!" He says again. Cut to alcove again. Still no family. After a third time they are announced they cut back again to the alcove and a Nazi comes running through the alcove and announces: "They've gone!"

You see the Von Trapps used that brief moment off stage to run away, so they could prevent the father from joining the Nazis.

So it wasn't some anti-semetic joke. It was a lovely play on that extremely famous scene from a classic musical (that Seth Macfarlane has said in the past is his favourite movie) in order to introduce one of its stars, Christopher Plummer. It also made sense as a joke as the entire night celebrated musical theatre and Macfarlane had been introducing musical numbers all night, so it was funny for him to "introduce" the family Von Trapp.

I personally thought it was a very clever joke.

Now, would Plummer be offended? Possibly, considering there was a long period where he hated being associated with that film. But he kind of got over that, even appeared on the Oprah special, so my thinking was it was more of an eye roll moment than anything.

Anyhoo . . . just wanted to explain what the whole Nazi thing was and that it wasn't Macfarlane being tasteless. In this instance.

Celia Cyanide
02-26-2013, 06:29 PM
His favorite movie is The Sound Of Music? why am I not surprised?

nighttimer
02-26-2013, 06:43 PM
She did the arm pump thing twice - the time when her name was read as a nominee annoyed me more, but I found both fairly obnoxious.

It reads as obnoxious to me - in the 'someone teach that kid how to behave' way. I'd think the 'I'm going to call you Annie' was meant in an 'it's an iconic role you're going to inhabit' way.

However, and this has nothing to do with my feelings about her attitude, as she didn't name herself and she's too young to change it, I wouldn't rail against anyone has a hard time with that 'I banged my head on the keyboard and put the results on a birth certificate' version of a name.

Maybe Quvenzhane likes her name and sees no reason to change it.

It's rather obvious you have your own issues with her so even if she was named Sally Smith, you'd still probably find her "obnoxious."

Cyia
02-26-2013, 07:37 PM
If they can't pronounce the child's name, then the interviewer could have at least called her Miss Wallis which wouldn't have been difficult to say at all.

Kitty Pryde
02-26-2013, 07:58 PM
If your job is to talk to famous people, and you know in advance which famous people you'll be talking to, is it really asking too much to be able to pronounce their names? 20 seconds on google could have revealed the answer to this baffling mystery.

Lavern08
02-26-2013, 08:04 PM
... The highlight of the evening for me was Shirley Bassey. Gold-FINGAH!

She could have stood up there and bellowed away for the whole three hours and I'd have been happy to watch just that.

Indeed.

How about just let her and Adele sing all of the Bond theme songs. ;)

Medievalist
02-26-2013, 08:36 PM

She's a bright, engaged and happy kid.

He looks like an asshat. He knew he was going to be talking to her; he could have taken the time to learn her name.

I don't blame her one bit.

cornflake
02-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Maybe Quvenzhane likes her name and sees no reason to change it.

It's rather obvious you have your own issues with her so even if she was named Sally Smith, you'd still probably find her "obnoxious."

I said her name has nothing to do with anything. I find her obnoxious and yes, would if her name were Sally Smith. I find her name grating at the least, and yes, would if I thought she was an adorable ball of sweetness. As she's not old enough to change it, I don't judge her on it. If someone IS old enough to change it, has a ridiculous name AND gets irked when people can't pronounce/spell it (though I don't know that she has thus far; I think other people are on her behalf) then I think that's on them.

If they can't pronounce the child's name, then the interviewer could have at least called her Miss Wallis which wouldn't have been difficult to say at all. Good point, that I totally agree would've been a better reaction.

As to the Nazi thing - I know, I meant because as far as I knew, Plummer really doesn't like being associated, or the film, and I thought having it be the intro when he'd just won last year was way rude. It seemed like purposefully fucking with him. I didn't know he'd shifted if he has.

Medievalist
02-27-2013, 12:16 AM
I find her name grating at the least, and yes, would if I thought she was an adorable ball of sweetness.

Oh dear, how dreadfully mistaken her parents were in not consulting you first about their child's name.

I do hope mine is acceptable.