Questions about Explosives

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, in my novel, I'm considering having my characters rig up and explode some bombs, so I need some help. Can anyone point me towards some websites or something that might answer my questions?

How close to the center of the explosion would you have to be in order to experience some minor effects (windows in the building shaking)?

How close would you have to be in order to detonate a bomb? Just how do timers and all that work?

What would happen if there happened to be weapons (guns, bullets, etc.) stored in the place? I know enough to know that bomb+munitions= big boom, but I kind of wanna know if there'd be added dangers or something like that? Would the bullets be able to travel with enough force to kill?

And finally, is there any way I can get answers to these questions without winding up on every FBI watchlist ever?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
All of these questions are heavily dependent on specifics. Impossible to answer without knowledge of the kind of "explosive" involved.

For one quick piece of knowledge, there's a difference between an "explosion" and a "detonation". Generally speaking, an "explosion" involves a chemical interaction between something volatile in combination with oxygen, and atmospheric oxygen. This would be a situation with volatile vapors such as methane or hydrogen. They cannot "explode" in the absence of oxygen. Other forms of "explosions", like gunpowder, have the oxygenation agent included in the mix.

Detonations are different. They don't require oxygen. Dynamite is based on an unstable compound, and only requires an input of energy to induce it to destabilize, releasing a lot of energy.

And nuclear reactions are something different and more, entirely.

caw

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You start browsing websites on that information, you will be observed more than likely.
Let's clarify a few points first. The answer is, it depends.
What type of explosives are being used? Nitro, old but still useful.
Dynamite, C-4? Those are the most commonly known, although there are myriad others available, and a lot that can be made at home if someone knows what they are doing.
A lot of people aren't aware that your typical explosives such as listed above are pretty commonly market with microscopic numbers. They can tell what lot it came from and such with no real issue, and cut down on the start point of the search very quickly.
Thus...if this is a terrorist bombing...they'd probably do the homemade version.
The size of the blast would depend on the shape of the charge as well as the amount of explosive. A block of C-4 that is just stuck there and detonated will do less damage than a smaller charge that is shaped.
Detonation can have a range of line of sight to around the world.
You can literally hook up cell phones to detonate them, and call from one country to another, to using an alarm clock.
And blowing up ammo is pretty much a Hollywood excuse for mass explosions. A LOT of explosives don't start fires, and it isn't that easy to cook off rounds, especially without significant impact.
And the bullets would probably not, IF they went off, not get enough force to kill. Shorter barrels lose a lot of velocity, because what makes a bullet lethal is the barrel and the powder. It's like pushing a car down a path. The longer you push (barrel length) the faster it will get up to before you 'stop' pushing. (Leave the barrel.)
Hope that helps. I'd personally recommend just reading a bit of Clancy, be very unspecific on the exact size of the bomb you're using, and if you want bullets that kill when they 'explode', use some creative license.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
if this is a terrorist bombing...they'd probably do the homemade version.

e.g., Timothy McVeigh, who used ammonium nitrate fertilizer, commonly available and used by gazillions of farmers. It's bloody dangerous unstable stuff, and he just combined a van full of it with fuel oil as a source of ignition, and a crude fuse cord. The worst industrial explosion in U.S. and possibly world history involved two cargo ships full of ammonium nitrate which caught fire and exploded in 1947 in the port of Texas City, Texas. Killed hundreds of people, some as much as two miles away.

I know of a way to ignite a time-delayed fire or explosion using two readily-available common chemicals contained in something like a dixie cup. I'm not about to tell you what it is.

Point is, you don't have to get very sophisticated about such stuff.

caw

joebill

Registered
Reaction score
I have been around a lot of real-life industrial and black powder cannon explosions and I can tell you that you have to go a long way into lala land before you encounter much disbelief over anything you write concerning explosives. Just get the basics down. For the record, bad guys can still buy black powder over the counter and fuse at the fireworks stand, so nothing sophisticated is required.....Joe

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
e.g., Timothy McVeigh, who used ammonium nitrate fertilizer, commonly available and used by gazillions of farmers. It's bloody dangerous unstable stuff, and he just combined a van full of it with fuel oil as a source of ignition, and a crude fuse cord. The worst industrial explosion in U.S. and possibly world history involved two cargo ships full of ammonium nitrate which caught fire and exploded in 1947 in the port of Texas City, Texas. Killed hundreds of people, some as much as two miles away.

I know of a way to ignite a time-delayed fire or explosion using two readily-available common chemicals contained in something like a dixie cup. I'm not about to tell you what it is.

Point is, you don't have to get very sophisticated about such stuff.

caw

The Home Depot course. There's about five variations if you're using what I think you are, and they range from two to about seven.

ironmikezero

Registered
Reaction score
It's too late... Your question has already been noticed.

The size and containment of the explosive device will have an effect on the explosive result. The pressure wave could likely be felt a considerable distance away - surprisingly far away.

You asked about glass damage, so I can give you a rough idea of the distance needed to evacuate innocent personnel to keep them from harm. Let's suppose the device is in a vehicle (size of explosive commensurate with vehicle capacity) ...

Compact sedan - 500#/227kg (trunk)
lethal air blast range: up to 100'/30m
falling glass hazard: 1,250'/381m
minimum evacuation distance: 1,500'/475m

Full size sedan - 1,000#/455kg (trunk)
lethal air blast range: up to 125'/38m
falling glass hazard: 1,750'/534m
minimum evacuation distance: 1,750'/534m

Passenger/Cargo van - 4,000#/1,818kg
lethal air blast range: up to 200'/61m
falling glass hazard: 2,750'/838m
minimum evacuation distance: 2,750'/838m

Small box van - 10,000#/4,545kg
lethal air blast range: up to 300'/91m
falling glass hazard: 3,750'/1,143m
minimum evacuation distance: 3,750'/1,143m

Large van/truck - 30,000#/13,636kg
lethal air blast range: up to 450'/137m
falling glass hazard: 6,500'/1,982m
minimum evacuation distance; 6,500'/1,982m

Semi-trailer (18 wheeler) - 60,000#/27,273kg
lethal air blast range: up to 600'/183m
falling glass hazard: 7,000'/2,134m
minimum evacuation distance: 7,000'/2,134m

Detonation at a distance is commonplace - and cell phones are a favorite.

Loose ammunition (small arms) would be hazardous as the primer/propellant may ignite (secondary to the initial blast), but projectiles (bullets) themselves would not perform as you might think. As Ben pointed out, without a chamber/barrel to contain/control the propellant burn/gas expansion, they would have insufficient velocity to do much damage (as low velocity shrapnel) beyond a few feet. The same thing happens in fires, the rounds cook off, cases split, and the bullets typically act like thrown or tossed stones.

spottedgeckgo

Da Gecko
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spottedgeckgo.com
Detonation depends on what compound you are using. You need to pick a poison. Black powder, smokeless powder, or something more exotic.

With low explosives like the two mentioned above, very easy to come by and very dependent on how they are packed. The tougher the case, the bigger the boom, generally. If the case it too tough it won't do anything until punctured, melted, etc. You just end up with a pressurized case. To weak of a case and you get a fire, or at best a vent or jet of hot gas.

Bullets and explosions, don't count on it. You can take a live round and whack away on it with a hammer with no ill effects. When I have to pull a bullet from a round, the puller is actually a hammer shaped case that holds the case. Then you pound it onto something and the bullet eventually comes free. I never worry about setting one off (though I do tend to keep my face away from the primer, just in case). Even IF you manage to set one off, it'll basically be like a firecracker and throw some brass shrapnel from the case at the worst. I think most just split, dislodge the bullet, and vent. As said, you need a chamber to make a cartridge work, and a barrel if you want any kind of velocity from the bullet.

Black powder can be bought just about anywhere, google it. Smokeless powder can be ordered from gun or sporting good magazines (Natches, Cabellas, etc) and it's fairly cheap. I think my last 1lb bottle was about 20 bucks, maybe 30. Buy it in 8 pounders, save some cash. Also it can be purchased in brick-n-morter gunstores without paying the $25 hazmat fee.

Triggers, movies and books love cellphones. You just need to add heat to the above propellants, some (crystalized high explosives) require a concussion wave from a blasting cap. I don't like the cell phone idea because they tend to be low power devices by themselves, however. Take the speaker leads and run them to an SCR transistor, a relay, or some other switch, and you can run higher current through the switch to set off the explosive. Cheap "fuses" on these electrical circuits would be something like the ignitors for model rockets. Two thin pieces of wire, wrapped with a small amount of fabric. Burns hot with a fairly low voltage, around 6V or 4 AA batteries in series. Conversely you can hook up a couple capacitors from radioshack to some 9V batteries to charge and you have all the current you will need. All it takes is a switch to dump the energy on the igniter.

Remote starters can be taken from any remote device, toys, deer feeders, etc. Wired devices are easier but you need a long wire and they are traceable (obviously). Cell phones work better when they just control the switch, as 3.7V from that little NiCd is going to need one hell of an igniter to actually light something. It could, but you run a possibility of failure. Same for any timed device. Device controls switch, switch connects igniter to power source. If the device is strong enough, it can also act as the power source.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Okay I'm working on the part with the explosion, but the trouble is, the writing is flat and dull. I was wondering if anybody could point me towards some accounts of what it's like to be in an explosion. Nothing too technical, just firsthand accounts as to what it's like to be within the proximity of an explosion. I know I can't copy and paste, but I'm really having trouble getting stuff down and I thought maybe some firsthand accounts would get the creative juices flowing.