Twitter- Important to Querying?

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen some agents are big fans of checking out potential clients on Twitter. Other great agents don't have much a web presence themselves. How important is it to have Twitter and use this for the querying process?

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen some agents are big fans of checking out potential clients on Twitter. Other great agents don't have much a web presence themselves. How important is it to have Twitter and use this for the querying process?

It's useful for following agents who tweet useful advice. But it's tacky to use it to pitch books to agents unless they're specifically doing a pitch contest or something like that.

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
It's useful for following agents who tweet useful advice. But it's tacky to use it to pitch books to agents unless they're specifically doing a pitch contest or something like that.

Yeah, I check on agents' response times, etc. when they tweet that they are caught up through X date etc. I don't actually have a twitter account of my own, though, and so I wanted to make sure this wasn't hindering the acceptance process.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you pitch to an agent on Twitter when they haven't invited such pitches you'll almost certainly get told off and blocked by them. Don't do it. Twitter isn't for pitching.

It can help with the research you do prior to querying, though, as it can definitely help you get a feel for an agent's preferences and dislikes. But it's not essential, and you can ignore it if you're not very happy there.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Twitter is in no way essential in the query process. If you think it'd be fun, use it. If you think it's a good way to keep an eye on agents you might be interested in, use it. Other than that, don't worry about it. Agents might try to find your Twitter account because they're interested, but if they can't find it, they'll just shrug and move on. No red marks involved. :)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Like Corinne said above me, Twitter is fun to use BUT it's not essential. I do have to say when I was offered an R&R, the agent suggested that I get a Twitter - that it's valuable for making connections.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Agreed, you don't need Twitter at all in the querying stage unless you want to use it. In fact, it can sometimes do more harm than good -- when you have a full out with an agent it's easy to start over-thinking and worrying every tweet it about you.

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
But it is useful for eg asktheagent forums. I get a lot of info from that and links to agents' blogs and whatnot. In general, i check it a couple oftimes a day and find the time investment worth it. I don't tweet much though, it irks me when people come on every five minutes.

FCameron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
definingyourhome.blogspot.com
Not essential, but I've learned a lot by following agents (and other literary types) on Twitter. For example, a literary intern offered a query critique for five and I got one.

A few agents will tweet while reviewing queries, but not give away or call out anyone. They typically tweet about why they're rejecting. #tenqueries is one of those sessions.

Also, there are sometimes #askagent sessions (I use Tweetchat to participate instead of watching the Twitter app) where you can ask questions in real time -- NO PITCHING!

You can also search hashtags of #querytips #pubtips ...if you watch, you'll catch on and can then look at the tweets with those hashtags.

Some agents don't tweet about work as much as they do their lives and it gives you insight into their likes, dislikes, humor, etc.

Very few agents will "follow back" if you follow them. I have a few following me, including one who is reading a full and two that rejected me and one that hasn't yet responded. The one with the full didn't follow me until about a month after requesting my full (still hasn't responded, but she got it before the Thanksgiving holiday).

That said, I'm very careful about my tweets! I don't "advertise" but do tweet when I post new (unrelated to literary) blog stories.

Even if they don't follow--when have a twitter, blog or other public social media presence and query an agent, I'm sure they Google our names if they are considering.

Hope this helps.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

I'm not sure what you are really asking here - is it about pitching via twitter? Because unless the agent has asked for that then I say don't do it.

If you are asking if agents check out potential clients on twitter after submission etc, then possibly - it's not uncommon for anyone entering a professional relationship to have a look at the social media pages (inc. facebook, blogs and personal websites etc) of people they are thinking of working with. You'd be surprised how many folks go for job interviews and then bitch about the interview on Facebook straight after, but are still surprised when they don't get the job.

FCameron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
There was a Pitch Madness today with agents reading tweet pitches. The hashtag was #PitMad and you can look that up and see how it went. There will be another one and the announcements come through Brenda Drake's blog.

Now...not to be paranoid, but cautious. The agent who asked me to revise & resubmit follows me on Twitter. She mentioned that she reads my tweets. So, I never tweet anything that I wouldn't want her to read. It's "good business" behavior to be mindful that even those who don't follow you can look up your tweets.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I'm a huge twitter fan. For writing, that is.

Everything that's been said above is true: Don't pitch an agent on twitter unless they ask (Which they DO... sometimes. I got three requests on twitter this week, 2 from #pitmad as mentioned above, one agent, one small press editor. And a full request from an agent doing a quick spontaneous pitch session for herself using the hashtag #pitchbree. Mind you, I've been using twitter regularly for about a year and this week is the first time I've had requests. Most of the pitch sessions are super crowded and hard to be seen in. This time I had some help from the #pitchwars crew)

And: it is in NO WAY necessary to the querying process. Having a twitter MIGHT help a little to show you are working to market. This is the same as a blog. You do not need a blog to get an agent. But sometimes agents appreciate that you are making an effort and if it's a successful blog it gives you an obvious platform. Good things, but in no way necessary. I guarantee no agent will reject you because you don't have a twitter.

Side note: I'm sure it does become more important if you write Non-fiction. But unless you have 10,000 followers, that's still not enough of a platform.

I'm honestly pretty wary of talking to agents at all on twitter. I don't like to ask questions about subs, or guidelines even (unless they have an #askagent session). Only on occasion will I comment on something they say. I've just seen way too many writers being pushy, or extremely awkward with agents on twitter. I like to watch from afar and this helps me keep up on what's going on in the writing world-- which includes awesome opportunities like twitter pitches, contests and publisher open door submissions.

Somewhat unrelated, I find keeping a twitter that is completely for writing helps me. No personal friends what-so-ever. This way I can be completely honest about the writing process (and not have to worry about my sister in-law thinking I'm going to have a book out next week because an agent requested). The support is incredible. I can talk writing without bothering people. And I have met a TON of writers there, some of which I've watched go from unagented to 6-figure publishing deals (fun!) or go from unagented, to agented, to no luck with publishers, to self publishing.

Those of you that are on twitter you can find me here https://twitter.com/Trombolii or @trombolii

:Hug2:

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Twitter isn't necessary for the querying process. But you can learn about an agent's preferences and the like. I am also a fan of Twitter for getting a read of an agent's personality. I have seen some of them tweet mess that caused a deep side eye and I cut them from my list.

People always say writers should watch themselves on Twitter. The same holds true for agents because WE are also watching.

FCameron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Twitter isn't necessary for the querying process. But you can learn about an agent's preferences and the like. I am also a fan of Twitter for getting a read of an agent's personality. I have seen some of them tweet mess that caused a deep side eye and I cut them from my list.

People always say writers should watch themselves on Twitter. The same holds true for agents because WE are also watching.

So true. There are agents I didn't query after following them for awhile on Twitter. I decided we wouldn't be a good match.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
TRUE!! There are two I've specifically pulled from my To Query List because of things said on twitter.

I mean, I'm sure they're not beating themselves up about it. They still get queries from good writers but...

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I agree that while twitter can be nice and fun for writers, and I enjoy talking to writers on it, it is certainly not a requirement. And if you don't like it or it is a time-suck, WRITING is way more important! But I wanted to speak to this:

I tweet about all kinds of things, from whatever book I'm reading, to what my dog is doing, to travel pics, to recipes, to some random funny thing I saw. And plenty of dumb jokes, silly banter etc in between.

If somebody disliked, say, my opinion about Bates on Downton Abbey, or pics of my dog, enough to want to not query me, then good. We would not be a match. (Because obviously Bates is the worst and my dog is the best! ;-)

I have really only had one or two people freak out on me on twitter. Once I tweeted that book piracy is wrong, you need to support the business you want to be a part of, and that if you claim you want to be a writer but you simultaneously steal books from other writers, you need to reexamine your priorities. Some person started a fake account just to call me names. LOL. oy.

Another person flipped out on me for "engaging in trivialities" ("height of mundanity!" I believe she called it) and said she "didn't know how my clients could stand it!" and she huffily unfollowed me -- funnily enough, her manuscript was under consideration by me at the time. So, you know. I rejected it, because obviously we are not a good fit.

Personally I LIKE trivialities on twitter. I go on there to have fun and have a laugh, talk to my peers, catch up with old friends and make new as well. I live in the country and work from home - for me it's basically the equiv of an office water cooler.

As you say, so much of working well with somebody does come down to a personality thing. If twitter helps you decide who not to query, that's a GOOD thing. So instead of watching themselves more... maybe agents should watch themselves a little LESS! ;-)

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I'm a bit old fashioned in that I think querying needs to be done the old fashioned way--query letter.

Don't bother agents that way on any social media, even if you believe they are looking for potential new clients. Many may simply be enjoying social media.

Social media is not a requirement when it comes to anything writing. Facebook is fine for me, and I refuse to use Twitter or any other social media for now, because I would rather spend time in other ways.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I also enjoy Twitter for trivialities. And it's nice to engage with agents/editors/whoever on a friendly, non-industry level.

That said, I had an agent approach me via DM before I started querying. My friend, who he represents, said my novel was good and he was like "hey query me." And oh yeah, I felt cool.

He ended up rejecting me, but I asked him if he knew any agents who he thought might be a good fit because I could tell I was a near-miss. He gave me my now-agent's name. So if I hadn't been on Twitter I probably wouldn't have my agent. Might have gotten another one, but you never know.

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Another person flipped out on me for "engaging in trivialities" ("height of mundanity!" I believe she called it) and said she "didn't know how my clients could stand it!" and she huffily unfollowed me -- funnily enough, her manuscript was under consideration by me at the time. So, you know. I rejected it, because obviously we are not a good fit.

Talk about burning bridges! D:

I follow agents on twitter to get an idea of personality and also for pubtips and query stats. I'm not so much a fan of twitter pitch contests and the like, because they seem like a waste of time. Like for #pitmad, agents would favorite tweets and invite them to query them and send 10 pages... and it's like, isn't that what you'd be doing anyway!? Seems like it's just introducing an arbitrary and unnecessary step in the regular query process.

I think what the OP was asking was if you should have an active twitter presence to look "connected" and active in social media. I've seen some agents on twitter mention that they like clients to be active and I guess, "professional" online. But yeah, I don't tweet, I just follow. Not sure if that's bad. :/

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Like for #pitmad, agents would favorite tweets and invite them to query them and send 10 pages... and it's like, isn't that what you'd be doing anyway!? Seems like it's just introducing an arbitrary and unnecessary step in the regular query process.
:/

This is true. But it's still a fun thing to do, it's exciting, and it's good practice (writing a pitch in 140 characters is HARD). You get to see some of what other writers are pitching and what the agents are interested in seeing. And if you are chosen, yes, most of the time you are just "invited" to query, but this is still a step up from sitting in slush (for lack of a better term) IMHO. It's basically a solicited query.

And I did get a full request on twitter from a much smaller pitch session. She only got about 30 pitches and requested 5.

Like I said, twitter isn't that important to the writing/publishing process and it certainly isn't for everyone. But I'm a fan. Even without pitches.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I once saw a tweet from some guy who was huffily unfollowing me because I never talked about "the most important issue in publishing" (ebooks or electronic publishing or something.)

I talk to my clients on twitter, and a few other people who are connected to clients. It's fun and keeps me in touch with them in a non-deadline kind of way.

I'm sure my tastes and preferences come through, but I think it's a mistake to rule out an agent cause of a tweet or ten you didn't like. Tone is impossible to convey on twitter, and a lot of us with a dry sense of humor come off like pedantic twits if you don't know to take it with a cargo container of salt.