promoting before publishing?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fundanovelist

www.fundanovelist.blogspot.com

i have an agent, i don't have a book deal--yet. before i get one (think positive!), i'm trying to build a support system, interact with readers/writers and see how far a little wishful thinking will go.

stop by, check it out. let me know if you think this is crazy.

thanks and good luck to all of you!

redroom

Registered
Reaction score
Fundanovelist said:
www.fundanovelist.blogspot.com

i have an agent, i don't have a book deal--yet. before i get one (think positive!), i'm trying to build a support system, interact with readers/writers and see how far a little wishful thinking will go.

stop by, check it out. let me know if you think this is crazy.

thanks and good luck to all of you!

Congrats on getting an agent!!! It's a huge step. It took me a year to sell after getting my agent and the wait is torture! Hang in there and good things will come!!
Lisa
www.lisareneejones.com
Berkley PURPLE MAGIC - Coming Soon
The Hottest One Night Stand - March 07- Avon
The Price of Being on Top - May 06 Ellora's Cave

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Congrats on the agent. Do check with your agent about promoting your book before you even get a deal.

But there's never a "bad" time to talk about your book, to network, and to get the words out. I had my website up long before publication, and I talked about my book whenever I can (but I am not pushy). I joined AW and made a lot of friends and contacts here. I participated in discussions and made myself helpful on boards like these. I also told people about what I did and about my books at social gatherings or fundraisers, etc. You never know. I recently saw someone after two years and she asked me, "Did you find a publisher yet?" She remembered, and when I told her about my book, she said she would definitely get one. So you never know.

Tex

A good way to make the most out of the contacts you develop before your book is released is to stay in touch with them via a monthly e-newsletter (if you have a web site). Such a newsletter is mutually beneficial, because it allows you to capture email addresses from people that you meet (that may be interested in buying the book), while also allowing them to benefit from receiving entertaining and informative content in your newsletter. The goal is to stay in touch with these potential book-buyers (instead of hoping that you run into them) so that you have a captive audience that you can go to for initial sales once the book is out.

Another thing that you can do before you book releases is begin preparing for any publicity that may occur. Although you don't want to begin any major media promotion before the book is available, a good way to prepare for promotion is to start familiarizing yourself with the topics that media outlets are covering. For example, if you have a self-help/fitness book, find out how the issue is covered locally (most media-markets cover staple media topics in similar ways). Ideas might include identifying which local reporter covers that beat, whether local radio stations have a health-minute or if the local television affiliates offer a weekly health-related segment on the local morning show. Becoming a news junkie before you begin promoting your own book allows you to become familiar with different media formats and should give you a leg up once your book is out.

Anyway--for what it's worth--just a couple thoughts on ways you can prepare for the release of your book. Often if you wait until the book is out to think about promoting it, it's too late...

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
When I took up writing again, a few years ago, and I decided that I was going to do it seriously and get published, the first thing I did, was start a website. A few months later, I started a blog and then I moved to my own site. Now, I have this whole network of other writers and it's always inspiring to here them talk about how they're doing with their writing, and to hear their words of encouragement with my writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.