PDA

View Full Version : Any other furries on AW?

Clever-Fox
01-08-2013, 06:21 AM
Well, feel free to reply even if you're not a furry. I'd just thought I'd ask if anyone else on here was a furry. And for those of you who don't know what a furry is, I'd be happy to answer any questions that are within my ability.

Paperback Writer
01-08-2013, 06:36 AM
as far as i know they wear animal costumes

MacAllister
01-08-2013, 06:38 AM
as far as i know they wear animal costumes and hump on the woods...is that true?

How very courteous, respectful of differences, and generally tactful of you, PBW.

Wanna reconsider that phrasing?

Paperback Writer
01-08-2013, 06:39 AM
I could delete it? that's all I know about them though

Clever-Fox
01-08-2013, 06:40 AM
@ PBW First one, Yes, sometimes; second one, no. Although the term "Furry" does tend to get confused with "zoophile"

Paperback Writer
01-08-2013, 06:41 AM
Oh ok thanks for the clarification

Clever-Fox
01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Oh ok thanks for the clarification
You're welcome. I did say I would any questions that are within my ability...

quickWit
01-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Welcome to AW, Fox! I'm not a furry and have no questions for you. Just wanted to extend a welcome, is all. :hi:

Carry on.

Ambrosia
01-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Welcome to AW, Clever Fox.

I am not a furry. And am not sure exactly what being a furry entails for you. Are you into the artwork? Play online games? Use prosthetics to change your actual appearance? Dress up in costume? Role play? I used to DM and also play D&D, so I understand role playing very well.

Why do you identify yourself in this way?

BigWords
01-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Hmm. Does agreeing with Robert Crumb about Bugs Bunny cartoons qualify a person for inclusion?

RemusShepherd
01-08-2013, 07:42 PM
I was kicked out of the furry community, but I still consider myself one of them. Hi there. :)

veinglory
01-08-2013, 07:42 PM
I have written and drawn some furry stuff, but not done any of the alter ego, fursuit or con stuff.

Tedium
01-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Surprisingly, I've known quite a few furries in my time. I say it's surprising because I live in Louisiana and because I am not a furry.

Just seem to attract folks who dance to the beat of different drums, I guess.

It's definitely an interesting community. Hope you find some others on the board. That would be pretty awesome if you could find a few furry critique partners.

Myrealana
01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
I used to have a crush on Disney's Animated Robin Hood.

That's as close as I get.

Clever-Fox
01-09-2013, 01:55 AM
Welcome to AW, Clever Fox.

I am not a furry. And am not sure exactly what being a furry entails for you. Are you into the artwork? Play online games? Use prosthetics to change your actual appearance? Dress up in costume? Role play? I used to DM and also play D&D, so I understand role playing very well.

Why do you identify yourself in this way?

I'm not into role playing, or prosthetics. Online games, nah. I am, however, into the artwork. As for identifying as a furry, like I said, I like the artwork, and I like the whole fantasy genre, which seems to go hand in hand, IMHO, with furryism.

Clever-Fox
01-09-2013, 02:02 AM
I was kicked out of the furry community, but I still consider myself one of them. Hi there. :)

How did you get kicked out of the furry community?

KellyAssauer
01-09-2013, 02:04 AM
Okay, okay, it's winter, and it's cold out, and I'll admit that I haven't been as punctual as usually about leg shaving, but I totally reject the notion that I'm furry...

mostly.

RemusShepherd
01-09-2013, 04:34 AM
How did you get kicked out of the furry community?

After a flamewar on Usenet (name redacted by Silver King) said that he'd shoot me in the head if he ever saw me at a con. I doubt he was really serious, but it did make me stop going to furry conventions.

Furries are like any other group. They have factions that fight among one another, and I'm just not welcome. But I still consider myself a fan of anthro stories, music, and art.

Silver King
01-09-2013, 07:03 AM
After a flamewar on Usenet (name redacted by Silver King) said that he'd shoot me in the head if he ever saw me at a con. I doubt he was really serious, but it did make me stop going to furry conventions...
Please note the edit I've made in bold above. It should be obvious to just about anyone that it's not cool to name specific individuals from elsewhere in this discussion.

I mean come on, we all should know better by now. But if you don't, now you do.

desia
01-09-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm not into role playing, or prosthetics. Online games, nah. I am, however, into the artwork. As for identifying as a furry, like I said, I like the artwork, and I like the whole fantasy genre, which seems to go hand in hand, IMHO, with furryism.

What makes one a furry and what/who is considered a furry? Liking pictures of dogs wouldn't make one a dog, I don't see why liking pictures of furries would make one a furry. I want to clarify that I'm not trying to be disrespectful, just genuinely wondering where the line between someone who just likes the pics and someone who identifies as a furry is.

Clever-Fox
01-09-2013, 04:37 PM
What makes one a furry and what/who is considered a furry? Liking pictures of dogs wouldn't make one a dog, I don't see why liking pictures of furries would make one a furry. I want to clarify that I'm not trying to be disrespectful, just genuinely wondering where the line between someone who just likes the pics and someone who identifies as a furry is.

I honestly think that line is different for everyone.

mccardey
01-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Furries are like any other group. They have factions that fight among one another,

Yeah, the Oxford Comma group are like that. But without, yanno, the guns... ;)

PS: Welcome, Fox.

veinglory
01-09-2013, 07:22 PM

You are furry if you identify as furry.

veinglory
01-09-2013, 07:22 PM

IMHO you are furry if you identify as furry. There doesn't need to be an itemized set of reasons and qualifications.

Alessandra Kelley
01-09-2013, 07:28 PM
I've known furries and furry artists. It's a fandom, the corners of which can get a bit odd, just like every other fandom out there.

Welcome to the boards, Clever-Fox.

RemusShepherd
01-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Please note the edit I've made in bold above. It should be obvious to just about anyone that it's not cool to name specific individuals from elsewhere in this discussion.

I mean come on, we all should know better by now. But if you don't, now you do.

My apologies. This happened fifteen years ago, it involved nobody that anyone else on this forum would know, it's been discussed elsewhere and is even mentioned on Wikifur. Everyone involved would probably laugh about it today.(*) I didn't think letting the name drop would be a big deal.

(* -- After he shot me, of course. :) )

Clever-Fox
01-10-2013, 02:00 AM
IMHO you are furry if you identify as furry. There doesn't need to be an itemized set of reasons and qualifications.

True. To be honest, When I started drawing furries, I didn't even know the term. I just thought it looked cool.....

sharpyetblunt
01-10-2013, 02:10 AM
What kind of pictures does a furry draw? I only have a vague understanding of this.

Alessandra Kelley
01-10-2013, 02:55 AM
What kind of pictures does a furry draw? I only have a vague understanding of this.

The people I knew mostly drew things like cute, cartoony foxes, basically animals standing on their back legs, anthropomorphized and doing stuff. Many of them were sort-of pin-ups, with cute, cartoony animals with fur-covered female human torsos.

This was back before anime was a big pop culture art style in the US, and furry art was almost the only anime-influenced art in fandom.

As you may gather, I am way behind the curve in whatever is going on now.

Clever-Fox
01-10-2013, 03:11 AM
Well, here's a link to some of the stuff I've drawn
http://s1062.beta.photobucket.com/user/Not_your_Average_John/media/Furries/photo-4-1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

BigWords
01-10-2013, 07:30 AM
A certain, ah... affection for Gadget Hackwrench shows up in a lot of the art.

Obviously, any image searches you do will likely be NSFW. Don't blame me. :)

Clever-Fox
01-11-2013, 01:57 AM
A certain, ah... affection for Gadget Hackwrench shows up in a lot of the art.

Obviously, any image searches you do will likely be NSFW. Don't blame me. :)

WHO???!

Silver King
01-11-2013, 05:21 AM
My apologies. This happened fifteen years ago, it involved nobody that anyone else on this forum would know, it's been discussed elsewhere and is even mentioned on Wikifur. Everyone involved would probably laugh about it today.(*) I didn't think letting the name drop would be a big deal.

(* -- After he shot me, of course. :) )

That's cool. Thanks for your understanding.

Sorry about the tone of my earlier post. I was angry at someone else at the time in a different thread and allowed those emotions to color my response to you. I feel bad about it now, as you deserved a more reasoned approach to the concerns I tried to express.

BigWords
01-11-2013, 06:16 AM
WHO???!

Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers' mechanic. There's something about her hips which... Um...

I think I had better leave that hanging there.

Not that, y'know, I watch the DVDs a lot.

Honestly.

:popcorn:

Clever-Fox
01-14-2013, 06:56 AM
Anyway, if you happen to notice that any of my characters have tails, claws, and the like, that's intentional. Even so, when I eventually get to posting some of my work, feel free to point out better ways to describe such things.

That being said, any more questions? I'd be happy to answer, whether they're about furries, or about myself, of you'd like.

Amanda R.
01-14-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm not a furry, but I'm a Second Life resident so I have some furry friends :) Nice to meet you.

Clever-Fox
01-15-2013, 01:54 AM
What's Second Life?

veinglory
01-15-2013, 01:56 AM
What's Second Life?

http://secondlife.com/

Clever-Fox
01-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Interesting. Though I'm not really into any sort of online games.

Battyvamp
02-15-2013, 12:09 PM
I was furry before furry was cool...roflmao...apparently the things that are considered furry staples, (for lack of a better term) identifies me as furry. Though the type of furry I am is one who believes in animal spirits. I actually see myself as more of a Therianthropy fan.

I would love to get me a bat suit to wear occasionally. I do like the artwork and I have several furry friends. There are a lot of furries out there who do give the fandom a bad name, you just have to weed through and find those who aren't like the "norm".

I like the anthropomorphic personalities and characteristics, and tend to go towards anything dealing with those then with "normal" humans. >.<

I am also on SL as Batty Soothsayer and a polymorph furry. Though the last few times I was on I stayed as a human, hard to find a furry avvie that fits right without having to do a lot of adjusting. I don't have the patience to get everything just right.

Clever-Fox
02-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Well. That's cool.
One thing that annoyed me on another forum was that almost no one knew what a furry was, and they just started guessing, so I had to explain to them what being a furry was all about.

As for my writing I have a habit of using furry characters (all of which are my own) and rarely ever use humans in my writing.

airce78
09-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Hello!!! I'm a new writer who joined this forum!

Let's revive and bring the purpose of Furries to good light.

I'm a Furry since 1998 I always thought I was a white Sibertain Tiger but by 2003 I have a strong connection to a white Artic Fox.

::::: For Everyone to read and understand Furries more better::::::

Furries- a group of people as a community

Furry- (That has many meanings) A person who identities as an animal meaning a spirit.

Feral Furry- A human spirit INSIDE the animal IE: can talk, has human brain, is funny when tries to do human tasks.

Think about Indians and their Tribes They have animal totes, spirts of the Wolf, Spirit of the Bear, etc.

Chinese people with their Zodiac. They identity themselves as Year of the Dragon (Spirit of the Dragon) Watch Fruits Basket to see what I mean.

our TV of the past to the present.
Furries/Furry
Thundercats = PERFECT EXAMPLE!!
Mickey Mouse and his Gang
Bugs Bunny and his Gang

Feral Furries/Furry
Scooby Doo -= Don't be surprised !!! He is what we considered a Feral Furry.
Tom and Jerry
Pluto= Mickey's Dog

Now... unfortunately.... People are not educated enough about Furries so when they Google, they end up seeing Erotica and Fetish. It is our job to reeducate people and lead them into the right path of understanding. The term for those furries who like sexual activities with others is called Yiffy Yiff Yiffing, Humping in plain English.

Do not confuse Furry with Zoophile and Beasitity.

I am not here to argue with you. Everything I said is right here in the open. If you want to argue. Argue with yourself in the mirror and say what you want to say then see how you feel about your arguing points afterwards.

We are not forcing you to. If you don't want to see the good side then that is your problem.

For me. I am writing books that involves characters who are Furries. It does not have Erotica, kissing acts,or lewd stuff in there at all with regular Humans and Actual Furries (Real live animals with human characteristics) My other book with my MC who is a Furry is associating with OTHER furries.

airce78
09-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Just adding a list of Furries that shows up I am not going to list it all.

Movies and Books
---- Furry/Furries ----
Beauty and the Beast. (Note: Beast won't let her fall in love with him because he's an animal. When he changed into a human from a curse, they got together)
Robin Hood (the cartoon one)
Shrek
Narina
The Never Ending Story
Star Wars

---- Feral Furry/Furries ----
Lady and the Tramp
Olive (the cat)
Rapunzel
Shrek
Narina
Harry Potter
Twlight
Eragon
Lord of the Rings
Star Wars

People will probably argue with me that those are just creatures or mythical creatures. Animals are creatures too. Critter, Moving Furballs, etc.

To sum it up.... Furry!

airce78
09-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Well. That's cool.
One thing that annoyed me on another forum was that almost no one knew what a furry was, and they just started guessing, so I had to explain to them what being a furry was all about.

As for my writing I have a habit of using furry characters (all of which are my own) and rarely ever use humans in my writing.

It annoys me too but guess what.. It annoys me when people think Deaf are dumb and unable to do things like drive, eat, etc.

They might have met few Deaf people and got wrong impressions til they met me and were surprised and confused. I thought you all are the same!?

=[

Sooooo I'm here now! :D