PDA

View Full Version : How would one be impacted after such trauma?

Bri Perkins
01-07-2013, 03:40 PM
I am writing a story about a boy whose friends are killed off one by one, by a killer that nobody believes exists. After the first killing spree, obviously, after being exposed to such trauma, you'd be affected. I'm trying to portray his ordeal as accurately as possible, so was wondering if anyone could give me input on how be would be impacted.

There are a few routes I am considering taking for him so far in the sequel. As of yet, these are cutting and post traumatic stress disorder, however both these seem a little cliche.

Can anyone give me some suggestions for how one would be impacted after such a tragedy?

shaldna
01-07-2013, 04:26 PM
It depends on your character - people react differently.

Try watching some of the 90's slasher type movies that use this same senario and see how the different characters react.

You can also read books like the Hunger Games and the Maze Runner to see something similar.

cornflake
01-07-2013, 05:10 PM
I am writing a story about a boy whose friends are killed off one by one, by a killer that nobody believes exists. After the first killing spree, obviously, after being exposed to such trauma, you'd be affected. I'm trying to portray his ordeal as accurately as possible, so was wondering if anyone could give me input on how be would be impacted.

There are a few routes I am considering taking for him so far in the sequel. As of yet, these are cutting and post traumatic stress disorder, however both these seem a little cliche.

Can anyone give me some suggestions for how one would be impacted after such a tragedy?

Not obviously.

Maybe he'd have a psychotic break. Maybe he'd devote his life to crime fighting. Maybe he'd turn to religion and join a monastary. Maybe he'd consider himself lucky and go about his day.

What do you need him to do? Start there.

Bri Perkins
01-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Not obviously.

Maybe he'd have a psychotic break. Maybe he'd devote his life to crime fighting. Maybe he'd turn to religion and join a monastary. Maybe he'd consider himself lucky and go about his day.

What do you need him to do? Start there.

Well, my vague idea for the sequel books was to begin with, after the first spree, he becomes really paranoid and has been terribly impacted by the loss of his friends and family at the hands of the killer, however as the story goes on, he finds ways to deal with the pain, and becomes stronger as he fights the killer in a final battle.

cornflake
01-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Well, my vague idea for the sequel books was to begin with, after the first spree, he becomes really paranoid and has been terribly impacted by the loss of his friends and family at the hands of the killer, however as the story goes on, he finds ways to deal with the pain, and becomes stronger as he fights the killer in a final battle.

Well, ok, then that's what happens to him. :Shrug:As long as it's not unbelievable that someone could have the reaction you want them to have, then that's the reaction they can have.

There's no one single reaction to anything much - especially to a fictional event you created, heh.

Buffysquirrel
01-07-2013, 07:13 PM
A psychotic break would be useful, because then that gives everyone an excuse to say his belief in this killer is a delusion.

JadeVarden
01-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Well he might become very introverted, and afraid to befriend anyone.