menstruation and female athletes

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpifrog

I'm working on an article on ways that menstruation affects teenage female athletes, and I would like to talk to parents or women who were once athletes.

You can email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Sue

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Do you mean how the monthly cycle affects their ability to compete? Or how training for competition affects their cycle? They're two different things.

Noob

Registered
Reaction score
grumpifrog said:
I'm working on an article on ways that menstruation affects teenage female athletes, and I would like to talk to parents or women who were once athletes.

You can email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Sue

I never competed on that level... but i think most female athlets today use medication to controll the cycle.. and some use shott's that make stop it for 6 months at a time...

grumpifrog

Cathy C said:
Do you mean how the monthly cycle affects their ability to compete? Or how training for competition affects their cycle? They're two different things.

How the monthly cycle affects their ability to compete.

Sue

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I played volleyball and ran track as a teen, and was very competitive. Usually, my cycle affected my training in the beginning just because I was tired during that time and not as motivated as usual. But once I was in shape for competition and had been training, my cycles would stop, and I didn't take any medicine to make them stop, it just happened.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Between the ages of 17-22, I was a competition powerlifter. I worked out with weights, ran, swam and various things three to four hours per day, five days a week. The most noticeable thing that I discovered was that about a week before, I would get cold for a day or two, to the point that my fingers and toes would become numb and it would be harder to train unless I STARTED my workout with a sauna or a dip in the hot tub. Like storygirl, my cyles were quite erratic -- ranging from 28-45 days or sometimes stopping for several months at a time. I'm trying to remember if I ever had an actual competition during. I think so once or twice, because I remember it was difficult to get my weight belt latched into the proper holes because of bloating. It was uncomfortable, but didn't affect my performance.

Does that help any?

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
I was a track athlete in high school and college and my cycle never affected my abilites or performance. I honestly think the daily workouts helped. I was also very active when off the track. But that experience is from just one athlete. I'm sure there are several stories out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.